HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RD Aaron Ekblad (2014, 1st overall, Florida)

Old
01-10-2012, 07:19 PM
shello
@WShello9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
The thing with Ekblad... it's the first time I've ever heard of or read about a player drawing comparisons to Bobby Orr.
Just out of curiosity where did you hear that? Link to the article perhaps?

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 08:30 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
The thing with Ekblad... it's the first time I've ever heard of or read about a player drawing comparisons to Bobby Orr.
Which would be wrong since he plays nothing like Bobby Orr. Completely diffrent kind of offense.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 09:17 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
Jay Bouwmeester was being compared to Bobby Orr when he was young I have the books here to prove all that comparisons.

scoutman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 09:54 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
Where have you read that... that's a terrible comparison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
Just out of curiosity where did you hear that? Link to the article perhaps?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
Which would be wrong since he plays nothing like Bobby Orr. Completely diffrent kind of offense.
Welp, I've never seen him play, so I'll defer to you guys on this.

Anyway...

Legendary defenseman Bobby Orr, who’s an “advisor” to the Ekblad family, says, “He’s going to have his ups and downs. It’s a big step for the kid. He’s going to need support and I’m sure he’s going to get it. He has a great opportunity to do very well in this game but he’s got a long way to go.” One of the players Ekblad is compared to the most just happens to be Orr, mostly because Aaron’s very talented offensively.

http://gobardown.com/blog/?p=259 and http://thehockeywriters.com/aaron-ek...tional-talent/

It might say a lot for Ekblad, the 15-year-old Barrie Colt who will be under a microscope for the next three years as the first defenceman ever granted exceptional status by the Ontario Hockey League, that he does not shy away from the similarities with Bobby Orr. A half-century ago, as every Canadian might as well have learned in history class, Orr was the blue line wunderkind. Ekblad is poised to deal with the same expectations, only in a world where word travels much faster.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/juniorhoc...rhockey-wp1125

A tremendous raw talent who has been compared to Chris Pronger, Sergei Zubov and even Bobby Orr, Ekblad appears unfazed by the pressure.

http://www.ourwindsor.ca/2011/09/aar...ayer%E2%80%99/

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 08:13 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

They're comparing impact at same age because anyones who seen him can't say he plays like Orr.

Old
01-12-2012, 12:49 AM
NHL Fanatic

I first met Aaron through Bobby, and I was shocked how big the kid was. Seeing him in person and speaking with him, the kid is mature beyond his years. His play on the ice is so composed and he takes over the game like its nothing. He is really something to watch and it will be interesting to see how his game progresses over the years.

NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:29 AM
Minister of Offence

I was pretty shocked when I watched him in Ottawa. You forget he's 15 as soon as you see him play. Looked pretty spotless as far as junior hockey goes.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Is there any possibility he gets the Heshmatpour treatment? ie, he's really 22 or something. He's just so big for his age.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 06:47 PM
puckfan13

Will he be on the radar to make the WJ team as a 16-year-old like Jay Bouwmeester?

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 07:33 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Will he be on the radar to make the WJ team as a 16-year-old like Jay Bouwmeester?
I could see it happening but hockey Canada is tough on 16 year old.
An invite for sure

Old
01-13-2012, 12:32 PM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie Hurdler View Post
Is there any possibility he gets the Heshmatpour treatment? ie, he's really 22 or something. He's just so big for his age.
Being 6'3" at 15 isn't that strange. There weren't any kids that tall when you were in 10th grade? I'd estimate there are 20+ kids who get drafted out of bantam who are listed at 6'2" or taller in the WHL draft every year. And that's not including all the kids who've grown since the heights were taken at the beginning of the season.

And while he's quite well developed physically, it's still not that unique. Nick Ritchie, who went 2nd behind him last year, is just as big as him.

Doomsday Device is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Not his height but his weight. He's 200+ lbs of muscle at 15. That's unheard of.

Old
01-13-2012, 02:04 PM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
I could see it happening but hockey Canada is tough on 16 year old.
An invite for sure
I can see him getting an invite next year. Playing in the OHL will go a long ways to his WJC chances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday Device View Post
Being 6'3" at 15 isn't that strange. There weren't any kids that tall when you were in 10th grade? I'd estimate there are 20+ kids who get drafted out of bantam who are listed at 6'2" or taller in the WHL draft every year. And that's not including all the kids who've grown since the heights were taken at the beginning of the season.

And while he's quite well developed physically, it's still not that unique. Nick Ritchie, who went 2nd behind him last year, is just as big as him.
He's also quite big for his age. What's interesting about Ekblad, is his combination of size and skill set. Being 6'3 200+, with his mobility, hockey IQ etc. is what makes his potential so high.

As for the 20+ 6'2 or taller kids in the WHL draft. Having a quick look at last years WHL, there was 3 players listed at 6'2 in the first five rounds (too lazy to look past that). None were taller than 6'2, and 6'1 was the tallest in the first round. It's not that common for 15-year-olds to be 6'3, IMO.

Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:40 PM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick Six View Post
I can see him getting an invite next year. Playing in the OHL will go a long ways to his WJC chances.

He's also quite big for his age. What's interesting about Ekblad, is his combination of size and skill set. Being 6'3 200+, with his mobility, hockey IQ etc. is what makes his potential so high.

As for the 20+ 6'2 or taller kids in the WHL draft. Having a quick look at last years WHL, there was 3 players listed at 6'2 in the first five rounds (too lazy to look past that). None were taller than 6'2, and 6'1 was the tallest in the first round. It's not that common for 15-year-olds to be 6'3, IMO.
http://members.shaw.ca/caldwela/drafts/2006.html

I can't find a lot of full bantam draft lists with heights but here's one for 2006 and there's 29 players who are listed at 6'2" or above as an example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie
Not his height but his weight. He's 200+ lbs of muscle at 15. That's unheard of.
I agree that he's extremely well-developed for his age and certainly one of the top players in his age group in that regard but it's not unheard of. There are 5 players listed at 200+ lbs in the above bantam draft list. And like I said in my previous post, a lot of the listings might not even be up to date. And I already mentioned Nick Ritchie as an example of player who's the same size in the OHL right now at only 2 months older.

Doomsday Device is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:47 PM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday Device View Post
http://members.shaw.ca/caldwela/drafts/2006.html

I can't find a lot of full bantam draft lists with heights but here's one for 2006 and there's 29 players who are listed at 6'2" or above as an example.

I agree that he's extremely well-developed for his age and certainly one of the top players in his age group in that regard but it's not unheard of. There are 5 players listed at 200+ lbs in the above bantam draft list. And like I said in my previous post, a lot of the listings might not even be up to date. And I already mentioned Nick Ritchie as an example of player who's the same size in the OHL right now at only 2 months older.
5 players out of 230 is pretty unique, which is what I was trying to say.

Trying to get this thread back on track; it'll be interesting to see how he plays come the playoffs. Barrie should win their first series (assuming they stay in 4th), IMO, unless they run into the brick wall that is Malcolm Subban.

Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:01 PM
hockeykid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick Six View Post
5 players out of 230 is pretty unique, which is what I was trying to say.

Trying to get this thread back on track; it'll be interesting to see how he plays come the playoffs. Barrie should win their first series (assuming they stay in 4th), IMO, unless they run into the brick wall that is Malcolm Subban.
Guy's been anything but a brick wall lately. How's Ekblad's play lately?

hockeykid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 12:52 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeykid87 View Post
Guy's been anything but a brick wall lately. How's Ekblad's play lately?
Had a very good rookie season in the O, didn't see a lot so someone who's seen more could comment on how he progressed throughout the year. But from what i saw he was a stud. In the playoffs too he continued to preform well. One of the 3 finalists for the CHL rookie of he year too.

Old
06-03-2012, 05:31 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
Not to sound creepy or anything, but does anyone have a topless picture of him we could see? A muscular 200lbs at 15 sounds very far fetched. Who knows, maybe he's missing the myostatin gene or has ridiculously low levels of myostatin.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 05:35 PM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

Always gonna have guys who are genetically "freaks". Knew a kid who was 6'6 in Grade 8 (So 13-14). Now he's 6'8 and he's 17. Some kids just grow early. Also, the 200lb+ of muscle, solid work out regimen and it could happen.

Gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 05:39 PM
Kershaw

200 lbs at age 15 that's crazy for an athlete.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 08:35 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
Not to sound creepy or anything, but does anyone have a topless picture of him we could see? A muscular 200lbs at 15 sounds very far fetched. Who knows, maybe he's missing the myostatin gene or has ridiculously low levels of myostatin.
No I don't but he if it isn't muscle what is it? It's not fat.

Like I said, it's very rare, I'm not saying it's common, but unless Ekblad has a parasite from outer space living in him that raises his weight considerably, it's safe to say it is muscle.

Old
06-03-2012, 10:49 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
200 lbs at age 15 that's crazy for an athlete.
not really depends on the sport and the players height.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 12:05 AM
SauceHockey
Retired

Never seen him play but 200+ for 15 is . I am 15 y/o 5'8 125 pounder

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 12:10 AM
Trvp Lord

Send a message via MSN to Trvp Lord
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdwe1 View Post
Never seen him play but 200+ for 15 is . I am 15 y/o 5'8 125 pounder
Damn, he could sqwish you like a bug. I'm like 4'2 469 pounds.

Trvp Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 12:51 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Sometimes I feel he's overwhelmed, but then I remember he's extremely young and all's fine.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote