HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Viktor Fasth

Old
05-10-2011, 10:06 PM
Giant Moo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
DUDE, that had me cracking up.

I wish we could 'Like' posts.
Thanks

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 11:35 PM
belair

Wouldn't be a bad decision to throw some coin at him. Maybe an incentive-laden two year deal. Fasth - Dubnyk pairing. Lose the goaltending distraction and drop Khabby to OKC. Let him get his %&$% together.

Best case is both OKC and Roy benefit from having a veteran goaltender play with them. And the Oilers benefit from having healthy goaltenders and become competitive. If somehow they slip into the playoffs, throw Khabby on re-entry waivers as potential playoff insurance.

Worst case is Fasth bombs, Katz spends some money, Dubnyk gets another full season of development and we score another solid piece to the puzzle.

belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 11:37 PM
SK13
V-Triggered

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
Wouldn't be a bad decision to throw some coin at him. Maybe an incentive-laden two year deal. Fasth - Dubnyk pairing. Lose the goaltending distraction and drop Khabby to OKC. Let him get his %&$% together.

Best case is both OKC and Roy benefit from having a veteran goaltender play with them. And the Oilers benefit from having healthy goaltenders and becomes competitive. If somehow they slip into the playoffs, throw Khabby on re-entry waivers as potential insurance.

Worst case is Fasth bombs, Katz spends some money, Dubnyk gets another full season of development and we score another solid piece to the puzzle.
Khabibulin is a distraction to nobody but us.

Apparently he's Magnus Paajarvi's and Linus Omark's biggest mentor behind the scenes.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 11:39 PM
tv14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post

Apparently he's Magnus Paajarvi's and Linus Omark's biggest mentor behind the scenes.
I heard Paajarvi is dating his daughter, so hes got to keep a close eye on him

tv14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 11:41 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I don't care if Khabibulin is on the team next year, I just don't want him playing 40+ games.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 11:42 PM
belair

Quote:

If true, it's fantastic he is that locker room presence. But a-la Jason Strudwick, if you are unable to perform on the ice, there eventually won't be a place in the locker room for you.

To have him (in a positive mindset, mind you) in OKC with Roy, it would help tremendously in the development of some of our younger prospects.

Old
05-12-2011, 11:56 PM
SK13
V-Triggered

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
If true, it's fantastic he is that locker room presence. But a-la Jason Strudwick, if you are unable to perform on the ice, there eventually won't be a place in the locker room for you.

To have him (in a positive mindset, mind you) in OKC with Roy, it would help tremendously in the development of some of our younger prospects.
Can you see a guy who's career is verging on Hall of Fame territory in a positive mindset in the AHL? He'd fly to Russia.

Regardless, we kind of know he'll be back on the NHL team. He's rebounded a couple times before, hopefully he'll have less on his mind and a better team in front of him.

Old
05-13-2011, 12:47 AM
Eytinge

Quote:
Can you see a guy who's career is verging on Hall of Fame territory in a positive mindset in the AHL? He'd fly to Russia.
Are you talking about Khabby? He's not even in the discussion for a place in the Hall of Fame, yeah he leads all Russians in NHL wins but he won't even be on the ballot.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:20 AM
Peter The Great

Sorry that Canada lost vs the Russians. :-( :-(

Canada is without any single doubt my favorit team except from my home country (Sweden).

Why? Because the style of hockey Canada is playing is the kind of hockey I like, not more complicated than that.

Russia is usually relying on their counter attacks (cowards in my eyes). ;-) Russia is for sure playing a more physical style of hockey these days though and I like that transission.

About Viktor Fasth. Sweden face the Czechs today in the semifinals.

THIS is graduation time and the first real test for Viktor Fasth. Even though his stats are extremely impressive so far he was a bit lucky and shaky vs the Germans. I wasn't very impressed.

If we see another great game from Victor today I strongly believe he will get an NHL contract somewhere (my guess is Tampa Bay or the Oilers). (Steve Yzerman have stated in interviews that he is very interested in Fasth.)

A total failure from Fasth would complicate things a lot.

So... let's see how he handles Jagr, Elias and Havlat and rest of them today.

Sweden's defense is pretty shaky, young and unexperienced. Most probably a tough game coming up for Fasth.

Viktor Fasth = Fast Victory? ;-) (I for sure hope so)

Last edited by 21: 05-13-2011 at 02:25 AM.
21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 06:05 AM
Ladra

I think Fasth would be a way better take by Tampa.

Some things to consider.
- He has been playing very well but it was his best year of his career.
- He would probably do better having a no 1. Starting as a back up.
- He would not sign in NA if he didn't get a one way contract, and he would probably earn as much in the SEL like playing in the AHL if he didn't get NHL time.

So for a team to sign him, they should have have #1 goalie, and have a back up spot for him in the NHL.

Ladra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 01:49 PM
voucher101

GA- SA- SV- SV%- TOI
2- 37- 35- .946- 60:00

Today vs Czech Republic.

Elias with the 2 notes.

voucher101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 01:55 PM
Peter The Great

Well, Viktor Fasth passed the test and Sweden is in the finals. Our young and unexperienced team defeated the Czechs (5-2). Fasth is very active with his stick and it's sometimes a bit nervous but also a weapon (starting plays).

Old
05-13-2011, 01:59 PM
SK13
V-Triggered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Are you talking about Khabby? He's not even in the discussion for a place in the Hall of Fame, yeah he leads all Russians in NHL wins but he won't even be on the ballot.
I guess you're right... Goaltenders don't get into the Hall very often, and the cut is probably above Nik's head.

Still can't see a guy with that career accepting a spot in the AHL. He'd just leave North America.

Old
05-13-2011, 02:18 PM
Peter The Great

Tambellini was interviewed by swedish press some time ago in Stockholm when he was watching Fasth play one or (a couple?) of games.

Hmmm, both Tambellini and Yzerman officially showing great interesting in Fasth... a gladiator fight coming up? ;-)

Old
05-13-2011, 02:23 PM
Little Fury

Quote:
We can always hope.

Quote:
Regardless, we kind of know he'll be back on the NHL team.
Yeah the terrible contract pretty much guarantees that much.

Quote:
He's rebounded a couple times before, hopefully he'll have less on his mind and a better team in front of him.
It's be borderline impossible for him to have a worse year next season, but personally I'd rather not see if he can do it. He's done as an NHL goalie at this point.

Little Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:26 PM
OilerBoy888*

What you do with Fasth is you sign a 4 year deal worth 3 million per. Then deal him off to the flyers and package him with our 1st pick for 2012, cogliano, and one of our prospects (Martindale or Teubert) for Jeff Carter.

OilerBoy888* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:36 PM
BlowbyBlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv14 View Post
Ive never been a huge Niemi fan, but hes played amazing at time this year. Thats just his problem, he is greatly inconsistent.

Too bad Fasth isnt playing today, I was kind of hoping to get a look at him, oh well.
The one thing I found comical from last nights game. Is that it almost is like he does things intentional (let in a horrible back hand goal).

How its ironic comedy is that many of Detroit's goals in other games were deflections. In this game 7:00 minutes left what the hell lets make it close.

I think the other part of his game is he reminds me of Domnic Hasek (not in style) but in demeanor. He has those eccentricities to not care what the score is, and I think because of that he actually provides calmness and composure.

What does this all mean. It means that you actually rely on a guy like Niemi to make that big save and you suffer with the consequences of letting in bad goals. You can win a cup with these guys because 10 minutes left to win a Stanley Cup, and they look like Ken Dryden, Patrick Roy and everyother great goalie wrapped in one.

BlowbyBlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Paralyzer
The Oilers Awaken

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerBoy888 View Post
What you do with Fasth is you sign a 4 year deal worth 3 million per. Then deal him off to the flyers and package him with our 1st pick for 2012, cogliano, and one of our prospects (Martindale or Teubert) for Jeff Carter.
Then we just made enemies with all Free Agents who would want to come to Edmonton Smart move...

Paralyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:

Regardless, we kind of know he'll be back on the NHL team. He's rebounded a couple times before, hopefully he'll have less on his mind and a better team in front of him.
When would that be? He's consistently been one of the worst starting goalies in the league since the lockout other than 1 fluke year and he followed that up with a very average playoffs.

Tell the truth I said it from the start, theres no way he was going to have a good year this year but I never expected it to be this bad.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 06:29 PM
belair

All-in-all when it comes to Edmonton vs. Tampa Bay in the bidding war, we hold the advantage. Although Tampa Bay is considerably more competitive at this point, they are not in the best position cap-wise and their playoff run doesn't help.

We have plenty of cap-room available, a young dressing room with several players and upcoming prospects of Swedish or Scandinavian descent and a very available starting goaltender position.

A short, semi-lucrative contract offer would be a small risk with the potential of a fairly large reward.

Old
05-16-2011, 09:57 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 3251
I could be wrong, but isn't the most Fasth can get is a one year deal?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 10:09 AM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I could be wrong, but isn't the most Fasth can get is a one year deal?
Since he's 28, I'm pretty sure he's past eligibility for an ELC, so there's no limit on the years.

It would be similar to Iiro Tarkki's contract with the Ducks, I think.

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=2012

Just a 2-way deal, not an ELC.

McDNicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 10:15 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 3251
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Since he's 28, I'm pretty sure he's past eligibility for an ELC, so there's no limit on the years.

It would be similar to Iiro Tarkki's contract with the Ducks, I think.

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=2012

Just a 2-way deal, not an ELC.
Capgeek doesn't work for me at work, but you could be right.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 04:49 AM
Peter The Great

Gerber to AIK (SEL), Fasth to Edmonton? ;-)
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=33187277&postcount=8

Old
05-23-2011, 11:46 AM
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact

vCash: 1271
Im not that impressed with Fasth. I would be surprised to see him end up here. Unless Khabibulin goes down to the minors, Fasth would have no spot on the big team anyhow. Im not sure he is up to it even if he did have a spot tbh.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote