HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Game 5 v. Detroit PGT - "Roenick the Iconoclast" Edition

Old
05-08-2011, 11:59 PM
Derick*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Derick*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice View Post
Question for you guys, hasn't Roenick called Marleau out in the past? I seem to remember him making some over the top comments about Marleau before this.
Yes. It's been an ongoing thing for the last two years.

Derick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:00 AM
Thwarter
All out of bubblegum

Yeah, JR was pretty brutal calling Marleau 'gutless' three times, plus saying he's hurt and point to his heart, but that's what JR does, he says what he thinks and doesn't have the internal editor which keeps most TV people out of trouble. But that's what I like about him though, I don't always agree with what he has to say, but at least the guy says what's on his mind and doesn't sugar coat it.

That said, Marleau has played pretty badly this series. He's either been invisible or only noticed when making mistakes. Is he hurt or something? I haven't seen him really skate hard much at all this series.

I don't know if gutless is really the right term, it's more like totally inconsistent. Some games he's skating hard, winning battles and you can see he's really trying. Other games, like most in this series, he's coasting around with a blank stare on his face.

Thwarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:03 AM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
anyone have the YT of Roenick's comments? i didnt see it.

magic school bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:04 AM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwarter View Post
But that's what I like about him though, I don't always agree with what he has to say, but at least the guy says what's on his mind and doesn't sugar coat it.
I agree. I like that the guy speaks his mind but he should have some respect for the players he's talking about, especially a former teammate. He crossed the line tonight. I wonder if something happened between the two of them off the ice.

Ricelund is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:09 AM
Felys

Randy Hahn just shamed JR on his Facebook page and now all the teal-glasses wearing idiots are out in force on his FB page shaming JR as well. Half the idiots didn't even hear what JR said and are just taking Randy's word for it. Tools.

As for this:
Quote:
Jeremy Roenick only cares about furthering his broadcasting career. His Marleau take was WAY over the line. Many bridges were burned.
I just lost a lot of respect for Randy. As much of a ***** JR was in speaking his mind, to say the ONLY thing he was caring about is his broadcasting career is ludicrous. He more than likely shot it in the foot, and you're being a homer to dismiss his opinions as over-the-top.

Felys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:12 AM
ilikebigjoe

just saw JR's full comment. wow did he cross the line. who does he think he is? marleau has been garbage this post-season, and i do like him, but speaking of gutless....you're a POS JR, im ashamed you were a san jose shark.

ilikebigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:13 AM
ramstoria

Marleau had a **** game and has had a **** series. But he always bounces back. As long as the team can pick up the slack for one more game and Patty goes into beast mode the next round (which he's done in the past) then I'm fine with it. If his post season stays stagnant or declines further, thn we have a problem. I have a feeling (hope) that JRs comments will light a fire in Marleau and he wraps upthe series Tuesday.

ramstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:13 AM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebigjoe View Post
just saw JR's full comment. wow did he cross the line. who does he think he is? marleau has been garbage this post-season, and i do like him, but speaking of gutless....you're a POS JR, im ashamed you were a san jose shark.
Is there a link to see his comments?

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:14 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Quote:

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:16 AM
Pirate Deadpool
Sacco must go

vCash: 130
Not a fan of the sharks, but I hate the redwings and I hope you guys end this in game 6. The sharks is the only team left in the west that I don't hate with a passion. I don't think I could stand a wings vs nucks western final.

Pirate Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:16 AM
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice View Post
I agree. I like that the guy speaks his mind but he should have some respect for the players he's talking about, especially a former teammate. He crossed the line tonight. I wonder if something happened between the two of them off the ice.
Marleau doesn't seem like the kind of guy to cause any ****. Its a clash of personalities in my opinion. Marleau's personality appears to be a polar opposite of JR's.

Chairman Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:18 AM
Improvise
Old School

Send a message via AIM to Improvise
JR is right and good for him for not being afraid to say what he wants to on national TV.

All of us can have no trouble saying it on a message board hiding behind our computer screens, JR doesn't care about who hears his comments because he isn't afraid to say it in public. Good for him.

I'm just finishing up the game now but I can't help but notice Wallin on the ice for every single one of the Wings goals (except maybe 1). I just don't understand why he is on the ice with Datsyuk. I'm not blaming him for anything because he didn't even have a bad game, I just don't understand the matchup, especially at home.

Improvise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:19 AM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Telling it like it is hurts...

@Jeremy_Roenick Jeremy Roenick

@keanuhaghighi yes we were teammates. I'm not his fan. I respect how unreal talented he is. Just not of his lack of passion!

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:19 AM
ilikebigjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
yup.

a bit more than halfway down the page.

http://www.fearthefin.com/2011/5/8/2...old-2#66777334

ilikebigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:20 AM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

vCash: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Mallard View Post
Marleau doesn't seem like the kind of guy to cause any ****. Its a clash of personalities in my opinion. Marleau's personality appears to be a polar opposite of JR's.
i think this is the biggest problem. JR wears his emotions on his sleeve and I guess it bugs him because he rarely sees Patty show any emotion or passion.

Negatively Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:20 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

I love JR ...

Old
05-09-2011, 12:22 AM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Quote:
i wanna see it too. its not just what he said, its how he said it. we know what kind of a guy JR is so i want to hear it 100% from him, so i can get a fair take.

magic school bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Mallard View Post
JR: Radda Radda Radda!
Patty: *blink* *blink* *blink*

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
yup.

a bit more than halfway down the page.

http://www.fearthefin.com/2011/5/8/2...old-2#66777334
Thanks!

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:23 AM
Thwarter
All out of bubblegum

Some of JRs tweets since the um... comments.
http://twitter.com/#!/Jeremy_Roenick

“Everyone can be mad at me for my comments. That's fine!! My opinions are mine and I’ve always voiced them! Classless? I’ve had worse said of me!! Marleau has his fans and that's great! I am not one of them and won't pretend to be! I love the Sharks with a passion and think the fans deserve a better effort than Marleau has given in this series!!!”That’s 10 exclamation points in three Tweets. Clearly, there’s some history here.

Thwarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:24 AM
WTFetus

Quote:
Thanks!
I can't find it.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:26 AM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

@Jeremy_Roenick Jeremy Roenick

@RetsiemuenNad why is it unprofessional??? Its my opinion and I have a job that asks for it. Just cause u didn't like it doesn't make it unp

Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:27 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
JR: Radda Radda Radda!
Patty: *blink* *blink* *blink*

Awesome ...

Old
05-09-2011, 12:28 AM
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwarter View Post
Some of JRs tweets since the um... comments.
http://twitter.com/#!/Jeremy_Roenick

“Everyone can be mad at me for my comments. That's fine!! My opinions are mine and I’ve always voiced them! Classless? I’ve had worse said of me!! Marleau has his fans and that's great! I am not one of them and won't pretend to be! I love the Sharks with a passion and think the fans deserve a better effort than Marleau has given in this series!!!”That’s 10 exclamation points in three Tweets. Clearly, there’s some history here.
Reading his responses, he repeatedly says "anger", "get angry". That's what it comes down to. He interprets a lack of outbursts of raw emotion as lack of passion. That isn't necessarily correct. You can't say a guy has no passion because he keeps his emotions contained.

I won't say Patty has been good so far. I'm not insane. In fact, he was my pick in the poll for who has surprised you the most this postseason. I'm disappointed in his play so far, but I know what he has done for this franchise in the playoffs year after year after year, so I'm not going to kick him while he's down.

It's fine to criticize his play, but don't let two weeks of mediocre play make you forget about all he has done for the franchise, seemingly game in and game out, for a decade.

Chairman Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:29 AM
Franchise13

It's one thing to love JR, and what he does/stands for ... Seems like the kind of guy to have a beer with even.

It's quite another to behave like he did in the position that he's in. Professionalism requires restraint at times. As a former player, he should understand things should be handled. If that makes him a lesser broadcaster fine, but doing things the way he did feels like he's willing to sell out players. If players don't trust him, his career won't go anywhere because no one will tell him anything. Funny how that works eh?

There are plenty of ex players in media who can criticize respectfully, in all sports.

But in the end, as a person who's closer to the situation said today: "...why get riled up at JR? Nothing he says or does will have any effect on the outcome of this series at all..." (not verbatim)

Franchise13 is offline   Reply With Quote