HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 5 v. Detroit PGT - "Roenick the Iconoclast" Edition

Old
05-09-2011, 01:34 AM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
This is what Randy Hahn had to say:
i think JR burned his bridge with Randy, and thats it. i still love JR.

magic school bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 01:34 AM
TrappedInFullerton
Murray SMASH

vCash: 500
I left the boards with 2 seconds left in the game, disgusted, pissed, all that. Didn't want to read the threads. Calmed down now... still annoyed and frustrated.

Noticed something weird about the scores... a pattern...

2010 Series
4-3 4-3 4-3 7-1 2-1

2011 Series
2-1 2-1 4-3 4-3 4-3

So... 7-1 game coming...?

4-3, 4-3, 4-3, 7-1, 2-1, 2-1, 2-1, 4-3, 4-3, 4-3....

TrappedInFullerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 01:35 AM
Derick*

Send a message via MSN to Derick*
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedInFullerton View Post
I left the boards with 2 seconds left in the game, disgusted, pissed, all that. Didn't want to read the threads. Calmed down now... still annoyed and frustrated.

Noticed something weird about the scores...

2010 Series
4-3 4-3 4-3 7-1 2-1

2011 Series
2-1 2-1 4-3 4-3 4-3

Are you a wizard?

Derick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 01:35 AM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

Quote:

Noticed something weird about the scores...

2010 Series
4-3 4-3 4-3 7-1 2-1

2011 Series
2-1 2-1 4-3 4-3 4-3

This board would explode if that 7-1 score wasn't for the right team...

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 01:36 AM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Did the post of what JR said get deleted?

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 01:36 AM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
i think JR burned his bridge with Randy, and thats it. i still love JR.
I respect JR's comments, but Randy beats JR any day of the week.

Old
05-09-2011, 01:37 AM
Improvise
Old School

Send a message via AIM to Improvise
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Mallard View Post
Reading his responses, he repeatedly says "anger", "get angry". That's what it comes down to. He interprets a lack of outbursts of raw emotion as lack of passion. That isn't necessarily correct. You can't say a guy has no passion because he keeps his emotions contained.

I won't say Patty has been good so far. I'm not insane. In fact, he was my pick in the poll for who has surprised you the most this postseason. I'm disappointed in his play so far, but I know what he has done for this franchise in the playoffs year after year after year, so I'm not going to kick him while he's down.

It's fine to criticize his play, but don't let two weeks of mediocre play make you forget about all he has done for the franchise, seemingly game in and game out, for a decade.
What are you talking about? Marleau has taken games and entire rounds off throughout his career.

It's really not about points, though. It is about his effort. He is so soft to the puck and with the puck. He plays at such a slow pace despite being one of the fastest and most skilled players in the league. Mentally, he is weak and often times looks lost out there. He deserves all the criticism he is getting.

Good for JR. I love how he speaks his mind, he is echoing a lot of Sharks fans thoughts/opinions with his comments.

Improvise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 01:37 AM
irregardless
Registered Dummy

What's the Sharks record in series where they lose two in a row?

irregardless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 01:40 AM
Franchise13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improvise View Post
What are you talking about? Marleau has taken games and entire rounds off throughout his career.

It's really not about points, though. It is about his effort. He is so soft to the puck and with the puck. He plays at such a slow pace despite being one of the fastest and most skilled players in the league. Mentally, he is weak and often times looks lost out there. He deserves all the criticism he is getting.

Good for JR. I love how he speaks his mind, he is echoing a lot of Sharks fans thoughts/opinions with his comments.
Standards for fans and broadcasters or other professionals are different, for better or worse.

Franchise13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 01:40 AM
Tkachuk4MVP
23 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwarter View Post
Some of JRs tweets since the um... comments.
http://twitter.com/#!/Jeremy_Roenick

“Everyone can be mad at me for my comments. That's fine!! My opinions are mine and I’ve always voiced them! Classless? I’ve had worse said of me!! Marleau has his fans and that's great! I am not one of them and won't pretend to be! I love the Sharks with a passion and think the fans deserve a better effort than Marleau has given in this series!!!”That’s 10 exclamation points in three Tweets. Clearly, there’s some history here.

I don't disagree with any of this.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 01:44 AM
Improvise
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise13 View Post
Standards for fans and broadcasters or other professionals are different, for better or worse.
I don't think so. The NFL Fox crew has said similar things (Terry Bradshaw about Ben Roethlisberger), the NBA on TNT crew says similar things about players as well.

These guys are getting paid millions of dollars to play a child's game. They should be able to take a little bit of criticism.

You guys are way too sensitive.

Old
05-09-2011, 01:46 AM
hockeyball

I would like to see teh comments. I turned the game off as soon as it ended. The previous link is useless. Anyone have a link?

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 01:46 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

Quote:

2010 Series
4-3 4-3 4-3 7-1 2-1

2011 Series
2-1 2-1 4-3 4-3 4-3

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 01:47 AM
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS

Quote:

And so has every other player currently on the Sharks roster. Joe Thornton is having the first good postseason arguably of his career.

There have been series where Marleau was the only shark on the roster that showed up (last year's WCF), and nobody was calling the rest of the team gutless, or forming a lynch mob.

His play deserves to be criticized, but I think JR may have taken it too far. I still like JR, and I know he is always going to speak his mind, but I don't necessarily agree with how he decided to handle his feelings on the matter.

Chairman Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 01:50 AM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

Quote:
There have been series where Marleau was the only shark on the roster that showed up (last year's WCF), and nobody was calling the rest of the team gutless, or forming a lynch mob.
Plenty of us said the team sucked and the media called them chokers. Now, this series especially, everyone has been good except Marleau, so he sucks and is a choker.

Old
05-09-2011, 01:51 AM
Franchise13

Quote:
I don't think so. The NFL Fox crew has said similar things (Terry Bradshaw about Ben Roethlisberger), the NBA on TNT crew says similar things about players as well.

These guys are getting paid millions of dollars to play a child's game. They should be able to take a little bit of criticism.

Standards of professionalism isn't set by the lowest common denominator... ie. Chuck said this about Player X, it's fine what JR said...

TB to Big Ben is ...different, that's all I'll comment about that.

I understand where you are coming from though.

Old
05-09-2011, 01:52 AM
SignThornton
BEAST MODE

Send a message via AIM to SignThornton Send a message via MSN to SignThornton Send a message via Yahoo to SignThornton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Telling it like it is hurts...

@Jeremy_Roenick Jeremy Roenick

@keanuhaghighi yes we were teammates. I'm not his fan. I respect how unreal talented he is. Just not of his lack of passion!

and to add...

http://twitter.com/#!/Jeremy_Roenick

Jeremy_Roenick Jeremy Roenick

Marleau has his fans and that's great! I am not one of them and won't pretend to be! I love the sharks w a passion and think the fans deserve a better effort than Marleau has given in this series!!!

2 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Wow...JR always does have the b@ll$...

SignThornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 01:53 AM
Pinkfloyd

Just one last comment before it's bed time for me. LZ, your last post in the GDT is a complete contradiction. You can't throw out the team game cliche and then pin it on an individual. That's complete crap. No matter how you slice the 2007 play, a d-man is not in any way, shape, or form rely on his forward to cover for him in a defensive situation like that one. It is the defenseman's responsibility to keep himself between the puck and the goal when protecting a lead and that was especially true in Ron Wilson's system. McLaren had no business up at the blue line in that situation. Marleau didn't make the right play and neither did Rissmiller or Guerin. However, a two-on-one with a one goal lead that developed at the blue line is always going to be laid rightfully at the feet of the defenseman that is out of position.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 01:55 AM
magic school bus

Quote:

i completely agree.

Old
05-09-2011, 01:55 AM
ilikebigjoe

Quote:

its all true and legit but the jersey burning part is sick

ilikebigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 01:59 AM
Le Rosbeef

If it lights a fire under Patty's backside for Game 6, I'm all for it. He's been beyond pathetic so far in this series. Not scoring is hard to accept for a guy getting paid like he does but a total lack of defensive effort when it matters is even worse.

He's been at fault for at least 3 of the 8 goals Detroit has scored in the last 2 games, IMO. That's unforgivable if you're not doing it at the other end.

Guy should be put on the 3rd line and asked to check his way back into a scoring line.

Le Rosbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 02:00 AM
Improvise
Old School

Quote:
And so has every other player currently on the Sharks roster. Joe Thornton is having the first good postseason arguably of his career.

His play deserves to be criticized, but I think JR may have taken it too far. I still like JR, and I know he is always going to speak his mind, but I don't necessarily agree with how he decided to handle his feelings on the matter.
The thing is, the rest of the team isn't half as talented as Patrick Marleau.

He is by far the most talented player on the Sharks. He has been for years. Yet every single year, he vanishes for games and entire rounds come playoff time.

Again, it's not about points. It's about effort. It's about seeing him skate hard, fight for pucks on the boards even if he doesn't get them, and throwing his 225lb. body into other players.

I would give Marleau and change for a guy like Shane Doan or Ryan Kessler and it has nothing to do with goals or assists.

Old
05-09-2011, 02:01 AM
magic school bus

another comment about this team: if you cant win a game on national tv, how do you expect to win a Cup?

this group needs to fix whatever issues they have with the bright spotlight. everybody recognizes this in real time. home crowds see it, we see it, pundits see it.

i really hope they turn it around, because i like this team. i'd hate to see it picked apart.

Old
05-09-2011, 02:08 AM
Franchise13

Quote:
The thing is, the rest of the team isn't half as talented as Patrick Marleau.

He is by far the most talented player on the Sharks. He has been for years. Yet every single year, he vanishes for games and entire rounds come playoff time.

Again, it's not about points. It's about effort. It's about seeing him skate hard, fight for pucks on the boards even if he doesn't get them, and throwing his 225lb. body into other players.

I would give Marleau and change for a guy like Shane Doan or Ryan Kessler and it has nothing to do with goals or assists.
Dunno about "by far" ... JT, Boyle and Heater have all world skill as well, but yes... agreed.

I would've used Darren Helm as an example though, Kesler and Doan have some pretty slick skills too.

Old
05-09-2011, 02:09 AM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
I agree with this. The reason former players/coaches are on TV is to analzye the play of the players. Calling them out for playing badly (calling out is probably the wrong phrasing, placing blame might be better) is their job, and they're NOT doing it if they're not being honest. I see no reason JR calling out Patty's terrible play is any different than NFL or NBA broadcasters calling out terrible play of players in their sports, and it happens there too. Marleau played like **** and needs to step up for the Sharks to succeed, so every analyst and writer should be pointing that out. I would also presume that JR has a little more intimate experience with Marleau from 2 playoff seasons that are probably further influencing his attitude.

I still love JR. Marleau is ****.

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote