HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 5 v. Detroit PGT - "Roenick the Iconoclast" Edition

Old
05-09-2011, 02:12 AM
Improvise
Old School

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Improvise
FWIW, I have met JR a couple of times as we have mutual friends and he is a super nice guy, really down to earth and funny.

I tweeted him tonight and he responded. He is literally responding to every single person that is tweeting him. He cares a lot about the sport, he likes the Sharks, and he is rooting for Marleau.

Maybe it was a poor choice to use the word "gutless," but he is new at this so give the guy a break. He wanted to use a powerful word that describes a serious lack of passion/emotion and gutless came to him at the time.

Funny how people are more upset with JR's comments than Marleau's effort. LOL.

Improvise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 02:14 AM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improvise View Post
FWIW, I have met JR a couple of times as we have mutual friends and he is a super nice guy, really down to earth and funny.

I tweeted him tonight and he responded. He is literally responding to every single person that is tweeting him. He cares a lot about the sport, he likes the Sharks, and he is rooting for Marleau.

Maybe it was a poor choice to use the word "gutless," but he is new at this so give the guy a break. He wanted to use a powerful word that describes a serious lack of passion/emotion and gutless came to him at the time.

THIS. Without the meeting him personally of course

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 02:14 AM
Franchise13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improvise View Post

I don't think that is true... not for me anyway.

Though, if you think about it, JR might've done Marleau a favor with his outlandish comments. Taking heat from Marleau a bit . Where are the tin foil hat conspiracy theorists?!?!

Franchise13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 02:15 AM
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

The more I think about it, the more worried I get.

When the sharks had 2-0 series lead, in game 3 if it weren't for boyles late game tying goal, the series might've been 2-1.

Wings would've tied it in game 4.

and would be leading the series 3-2 after tonights game.

These games have been MUCH closer than it has appeared.

StreetSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 02:25 AM
Rickety Cricket

I really don't get what the big deal is. He called him gutless. Neat.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 02:27 AM
ilikebigjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
The more I think about it, the more worried I get.

When the sharks had 2-0 series lead, in game 3 if it weren't for boyles late game tying goal, the series might've been 2-1.

Wings would've tied it in game 4.

and would be leading the series 3-2 after tonights game.

These games have been MUCH closer than it has appeared.
fact of the matter is though that it is 3-2 san jose, not 3-2 detroit. detroit is going to push and play like hell tuesday, but san jose has to match and go beyond that. this sharks team is a very good road team. i hope we see the boys come out with a little fire under their *****, and i dont think it will happen but i hope patty pots one.

sharks havent won a series that patrick marleau has been held scoreless in. ill put it this way IMO, if patty gets a point, i think the sharks will win this series either in 6 or 7. if he is held off, it means that they are probably holding off the thornton line completely or limiting them to one goal which would not be good.

we better hope patty scores tho, ive seen him get pumped up when he scores, but an assist wont get him going. he needs to pot one...or two

ilikebigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 02:31 AM
goflyakite

Don't worry guys, the hockey gods wouldn't be so cruel and make my favorite (and only) teams blow 3-0 leads in back to back years would they?

goflyakite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 02:38 AM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

http://www.csnbayarea.com/05/08/11/b...28&feedID=8306

Drew's comments on Roenick's comments

Don't know if it was posted yet

EDIT: Drew's comments are in the second video under Marleau's pgv. The article itself is from Scott Reiss.

Last edited by WTFetus: 05-09-2011 at 02:49 AM.
WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 02:46 AM
Tkachuk4MVP
23 Years of Fail

Delete.

Last edited by Tkachuk4MVP: 05-09-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 02:48 AM
couturefan39

dany heatley: Stop paying attention to JR and focus on me! I'm a ****ing all star

couturefan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 02:50 AM
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS

I was just thinking how far away Tuesday seems. This game left such a bad taste in my mouth a chance at redemption on Tuesday can't come soon enough.

The feeling must be even worse for the guys who actually get to go out there and play.

Chairman Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 02:53 AM
Inub0i
For the Alliance!

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by goflyakite View Post
Don't worry guys, the hockey gods wouldn't be so cruel and make my favorite (and only) teams blow 3-0 leads in back to back years would they?
They are always cruel... like it or not.

Inub0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 02:58 AM
baydrake
gutless performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
Wow, I'm really surprised by how candid Drew was in his assessment of Marleau. Good article, thanks for posting it.
as i read that i kept thinking, "wow this doesn't sound like drew at all." that's probably because it was written by scott reiss.

Quote:
lack of a willingness to compete does not equate to lack of courage, rather lack of effort
that about nails the line they feel roenick crossed. well-written piece.

baydrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 03:00 AM
sjshark91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Mallard View Post
I was just thinking how far away Tuesday seems. This game left such a bad taste in my mouth a chance at redemption on Tuesday can't come soon enough.

The feeling must be even worse for the guys who actually get to go out there and play.
Na, they just go back to their mansions and eat grapes off their hot wifes/GF's.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 03:12 AM
Phu

Well I AM a Marleau fan and I think he deserves to get called out for his performance tonight. He needs to play harder, plain and simple.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 03:17 AM
Felys

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
http://www.csnbayarea.com/05/08/11/b...28&feedID=8306

Drew's comments on Roenick's comments

Don't know if it was posted yet

EDIT: Drew's comments are in the second video under Marleau's pgv. The article itself is from Scott Reiss.
I do agree with Drew. Randy just seems to be harping on JR and inciting bandwagoner Sharks fans to hate him for no good reason. I think JR probably let his inner player slip too much on the broadcast, yes, and probably coulda chose better words, but it's no reason to just blatantly dismiss what he said as wrong.

Felys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 03:18 AM
dwood16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
How can you hate this face?!

Awwwwww ...
awww ...you're right. He's a sweetheart.

dwood16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 03:22 AM
irregardless
Registered Dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood16 View Post
awww ...you're right. He's a sweetheart.

irregardless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 03:35 AM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

vCash: 990
Marleau broke a little bit of my heart tonight with his performance. I've stuck up for him a lot; through good and bad playoff rounds... But jeez. That really was gutless. I don't know what he's hurt with, but I guarantee you he's emotionally wounded now too. And if 2007-08 is any indication, a fragile Marleau is bad news for the Sharks.

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 04:04 AM
ChubbChubby
My life is a gym

I think I've beaten the Marleau topic to death already.

Personally I thought everyone gave a good effort tonight (except Marleau), but I did have some concerns/opinions:

1. I think one of the reasons why the PP is so incredibly stale is because of Boyle. It's not because of a lack of effort, but probably the opposite. He's trying too hard. Anyone else concerned with Boyle playing all 2 minutes of the power play? We have more than enough capable players to fill in on the point, but Boyle never goes for a change until the PP is either over or almost over. I don't doubt his incredible hockey sense and vision, but what he's doing is selfish. The longer he stays out, the slower he moves and the duller his senses get. I noticed this a few times tonight where he would be a step too slow or bobble a pretty easy pass. I'm not blaming the PP inertness solely on Boyle, but his shift lengths aren't helping. It may also account for his poor play during even strength at times because of mental fatigue.

2. Didn't the Sharks get outhit again this game? I know they did in a few of the last games, and I think that's a troubling stat. One of the Sharks' strengths is size and physicality, and they're not playing up to their strengths right now. The Red Wings aren't even known for being a physical team aside from a few of their players, so there's no excuse for being outhit by them. One could attribute the lack of hits due to the Sharks possession time, since they can't exactly hit players much when they have the possession, but that's just an excuse in my opinion. There are plenty of times they can hit but decide to peel off instead, like on the forecheck. The hits add up in a series and do take a toll, so it's a key element the Sharks have yet to utilize. Surprisingly enough, Marleau finished some checks in the last few games including this one. Unfortunately his consistency is still lacking and there are shifts where he's just an abomination.

3. I thought a few players stood out tonight. The usual names don't need to be said, but there were a few under appreciated players who made the most of their time tonight. I thought Mitchell was especially good, finishing checks and hustling for loose pucks. He looked hungry tonight and really went after the Wings, both on even strength and on the penalty kill. Mcginn looked good as well and had some really big hits. He did not look out of place at all in my opinion. Murray had a few good hits where he stepped into a check, and he got into the head of Abdelkader and a few other Wings. He was also blocking shots and paying the price with his body, but he seems to do this all the time so it's nothing new. He may not be the fastest or the most skilled guy on the ice, but his competitiveness is outstanding.

ChubbChubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 04:35 AM
Phu

5 hours later, still pissed. Not a good look.
I need some serious re-centering tomorrow.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 05:47 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
I agree that Roenick took it too far. Those types of comments probably cost him his job right there..
Are you kidding? Got him a raise.

05-09-2011, 05:48 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Telling it like it is hurts...

@Jeremy_Roenick Jeremy Roenick

@keanuhaghighi yes we were teammates. I'm not his fan. I respect how unreal talented he is. Just not of his lack of passion!
He would know a LOT more than we would.

SpinTheBlackCircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 06:39 AM
Felys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
2. Didn't the Sharks get outhit again this game? I know they did in a few of the last games, and I think that's a troubling stat. One of the Sharks' strengths is size and physicality, and they're not playing up to their strengths right now. The Red Wings aren't even known for being a physical team aside from a few of their players, so there's no excuse for being outhit by them. One could attribute the lack of hits due to the Sharks possession time, since they can't exactly hit players much when they have the possession, but that's just an excuse in my opinion. There are plenty of times they can hit but decide to peel off instead, like on the forecheck. The hits add up in a series and do take a toll, so it's a key element the Sharks have yet to utilize. Surprisingly enough, Marleau finished some checks in the last few games including this one. Unfortunately his consistency is still lacking and there are shifts where he's just an abomination.
one has to wonder, do they call detroit's "tackle hockey" hitting?

Felys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 07:20 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Do you see the effort Franzen is giving even though he shouldn't be playing?
Do you see the effort Dats plays with despite a broken hand/wrist/whatever?

SpinTheBlackCircle is offline   Reply With Quote