HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Game 5 v. Detroit PGT - "Roenick the Iconoclast" Edition

Old
05-09-2011, 07:25 AM
sjshrky27

vCash: 500
Good for JR. He called it as he saw it, and i agree.

Marleau has been crap for just about all the playoffs...

sjshrky27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 08:23 AM
Speed

Last edited by Speed: 05-09-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 08:46 AM
MadHouse

Blackhawks fan in peace.

Please please PLEASE! Knock red wings out. I've the feeling you'll do it in the upcoming game and it will be epic doing it in Joe Loius.

I really hope you guys get into the finals this year and win it, since I've some love for the sharks from my childhood.

Tampa vs San Jose in the finals, anyone?

That hit on Clowe must have been for manhandling Abdelkader, right?

MadHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 08:47 AM
hockeyball

Marleau deserved to be called out. That's all there is to it. It's one thing to have a bad game, it's another to be directly responsible for a devastating loss in a playoff series because of a lack of effort.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 08:56 AM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

vCash: 516
predicted the score but it went the opposite way! D'OH!

As much as I think the rest of us wanted this wrapped up last night, I did predict Sharks in 6! So here's to looking at that for tomorrow!

Now Preds force your game 7!!!!!

HOOCH2173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by baydrake View Post
as i read that i kept thinking, "wow this doesn't sound like drew at all." that's probably because it was written by scott reiss.

that about nails the line they feel roenick crossed. well-written piece.

lol, you're right. Still a good article.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 09:11 AM
Artful_Dodger*

Marleau is a rod.

Artful_Dodger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 09:49 AM
19sharks19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
Do you see the effort Franzen is giving even though he shouldn't be playing?
Do you see the effort Dats plays with despite a broken hand/wrist/whatever?
That should be the final words Todd gives before the game tomorrow, at least a dozen times over as it may take that many for it to sink into the likes of Patty. Not just Patty but in a much smaller sense but still of some importance, the disappearance of our 4th line whom have given zero support in any way, unlike the 4th line of the wings.

But, that may mean little if the team hears much of the media right now out here in the East whom are stressing that we better not lose our cool and focus for the eventual game 7 in this series. Heard Pierre McGuire this morning state in no way can he see our boys take game 6, unfortunately the first radio show I heard driving into work to start off a wonderful day. Goof ball is so anti San Jose. Never has anything good to say even when our team was doing well.

Last edited by 19sharks19: 05-09-2011 at 10:45 AM.
19sharks19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 10:39 AM
budleydudley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpz View Post
Blackhawks fan in peace.

Please please PLEASE! Knock red wings out. I've the feeling you'll do it in the upcoming game and it will be epic doing it in Joe Loius.

I really hope you guys get into the finals this year and win it, since I've some love for the sharks from my childhood.

Tampa vs San Jose in the finals, anyone?

That hit on Clowe must have been for manhandling Abdelkader, right?
Ya think perhaps it was because of his yapping to the press about wanting to be lined up vs. Kronwall?

budleydudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 11:02 AM
BrianSmith
Chokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by budleydudley View Post
Ya think perhaps it was because of his yapping to the press about wanting to be lined up vs. Kronwall?
Or maybe it was a hit... just like Murray lays out hits to the Wings.... Kronwall does the same to the Sharks? Not that big of a concept

Last edited by SpinTheBlackCircle: 05-09-2011 at 11:07 AM.
BrianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS

Next day. Still so angry...

Chairman Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 11:10 AM
TrappedInFullerton
Murray SMASH

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptivAte View Post
one has to wonder, do they call detroit's "tackle hockey" hitting?
Seriously, was like watching a football game out there at times... Anything to drag a Sharks' player to the ice.

TrappedInFullerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
This is what Randy Hahn had to say:

Randy's just flat out wrong IMO. If JR was more interested in furthering his broadcast career, then he would've kept his mouth shut or given some type of cookie-cutter response. Regardless of how you feel about the comments, I don't think you can argue that they weren't genuine. Anyway I'm done talking about Marleau. I've complained about him for years, so this latest incident isn't adding anything new to the discussion for me.

There was enough adversity overcome in the LA series to think that this Sharks team was different, but obviously we now have some more to deal with. Ending this on the road in Game 6 would be amazing for this team's confidence, and if they can pull it off then I think we will steamroll whoever we play in the WCF. I'm slowly starting to shift from angry to excited thinking about our chances of ending this at the Joe following this brutal loss. We still need just one win to end this while Detroit needs two. History and haters be damned, we can do this.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 11:13 AM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
I think I've beaten the Marleau topic to death already.

2. Didn't the Sharks get outhit again this game? I know they did in a few of the last games, and I think that's a troubling stat. One of the Sharks' strengths is size and physicality, and they're not playing up to their strengths right now. The Red Wings aren't even known for being a physical team aside from a few of their players, so there's no excuse for being outhit by them. One could attribute the lack of hits due to the Sharks possession time, since they can't exactly hit players much when they have the possession, but that's just an excuse in my opinion. There are plenty of times they can hit but decide to peel off instead, like on the forecheck. The hits add up in a series and do take a toll, so it's a key element the Sharks have yet to utilize. Surprisingly enough, Marleau finished some checks in the last few games including this one. Unfortunately his consistency is still lacking and there are shifts where he's just an abomination.
I was thinking the same thing while I was at the game. I was thinking back to past playoff seasons and how playoff hockey meant always skating hard and always finishing checks. While the game was exciting and the tank loud, it felt like a regular season game in terms of how hard guys were going after puck-handlers and hitting Red Wings. They need to start finishing those checks instead of peeling away (and by finish checks I don't mean boarding or charging guys, just not peeling away from contact).

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 11:19 AM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

vCash: 567
I may have broke my hand. I love Patty to the death, but I have never hated him so much.

I think JR's comments were a little over the top, but they were deserved and there's not much more to say for it. Reiss' article was excellent.

Regarding JR again, he also called Patty out over twitter at the beginning of the year when the Sharks were struggling (something about his +/- as I recall). He's also in a Sharkbyte Quick Quiz saying that Patty is (was) his favorite Shark to watch. JR has unreal respect for his talent, but as someone so aptly put, their personalities are polar opposites. I respect JR for telling it like it is.

The problem I see with Patty is that usually, when he goes through his stupid slumps, he's still good defensively and PK wise, and is still capable of being a threat sometimes. That could have been said for this series until last night. He single-handedly lost the Sharks that game. I am so disappointed in him, because he is the single most talented player on this team, say whatever you want about JT, Heater, or Boyle. Marleau is the most talented player on the team, and maybe one of the most talented guys in the league when he wants to be. He has to want it.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Matalvatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehJuxtaposer View Post
He single-handedly lost the Sharks that game.
I was barely paying attention to the GWG, because I was cramming for an exam, and I already deleted the recording. The NHL.com highlights are very brief and I couldn't get anything from that.

Could someone please tell me, briefly, what happened and why everyone is blaming Marleau for the loss? I know he's having a crap series, but what specifically happened last night? Thanks.

Matalvatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 11:35 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matalvatz View Post
I was barely paying attention to the GWG, because I was cramming for an exam, and I already deleted the recording. The NHL.com highlights are very brief and I couldn't get anything from that.

Could someone please tell me, briefly, what happened and why everyone is blaming Marleau for the loss? I know he's having a crap series, but what specifically happened last night? Thanks.
Standard floating all night, being totally ineffective. But then he stepped it up in the 3rd period.

3 on 1 opportunity, Marleau has the puck on the right side, all he has to do is put it on the net. Goal or not, Howard will have to freeze the puck and force a faceoff in Detroit's end. Another option would me to make a quick pass to the man to his left for a one timer. Instead he has a massive brain cramp and decides to pass the puck completely across the ice right in front of the crease to the man on the far side, who is at a far worse shooting angle than he is, and to top it off, it's a bad pass right into his feet. Bounces off his feet back towards the SJ zone where it is picked up by Detroit and rushed to the net. Patty doesn't backcheck hard and the tying goal is scored.

The winning goal was scored because crippled Datsuk had the puck and Marleau was the man covering him. Marleau comes in from the side seemingly to throw the body at Datsyuk (as he should) but instead tries to kind of bump into him and poke check (poke check... Pavel Datsyuk, yes... good plan) and skate on past. He realizes "oh hey, I don't have the puck" and makes a little loopy turn back towards Datsyuk to have another shot at it. But it's too late and the puck is in the net because Patty left Datsyuk completely undefended right in a prime scoring area.

Both plays were the result of the absolute worst possible decision Patty could have made, and he did. It's one thing to make a terrible decision, it's another to not even attempt to recover from it.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 11:42 AM
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn

I have not been able to get out of bed...so depresses because of last night. Also good on JR for calling out Patty.

Old
05-09-2011, 11:55 AM
BCShark

god bless jr he's right. i was pissed when doug signed him for 7 mill

BCShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 11:57 AM
Matalvatz

Thanks for the breakdown!

Matalvatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 11:58 AM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Man, I finally brought myself to watch the replays. Patty floated on the last two Detroit goals even more than I had noticed live. What a loser...

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:01 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

I had troubling sleeping last night, and while today we will hear in the hockey world how the Sharks are done, at this point I am over Game 5. All the punching walls is done, all the drinking away sorrows is done.

All I know is, these Sharks better play the game of their life Tuesday. Everyone needs to play Game 6 like its Game 7. For all three periods and any additional periods.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Naki

If Howard wasn't playing lights out for detroit this would be an non-issue.
Sharks need to find a way to not have a goalie save 92% or more of the shots going his way.

Naki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Legion
Lord of Winterfell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naki View Post
Sharks need to find a way to not have a goalie save 92% or more of the shots going his way.
Yep, this.

It takes will, and heart. If the last 5 years have taught us anything, it's that talent alone won't get you by a goalie playing like there's no tomorrow.

The unfortunate part is taking Detroit out in 4 or 5 would have done wonders for their confidence next round. I do not wish to see the "HEY, we beat the Wings!" and then collapse type of form that we saw last year against Chicago.

Time to dig deep, and work as hard as Datsyuk is right now. Might not have a guy with stick work like him, but we have a healthy enough roster of studs who can get this job done.

Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:13 PM
TrappedInFullerton
Murray SMASH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naki View Post
Just do what Detroit is doing... push people into Howard before taking a shot.

TrappedInFullerton is offline   Reply With Quote