HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

NHL 12 Feedback Session - UPDATED FIRST POST - Final Review and Closing Thoughts

Old
05-13-2011, 11:19 AM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

vCash: 500
Just work on the gameplay. This game has enough features that are unplayable because of how the hockey engine works. A lot of decent gameplay suggestions have already come up so I won't repeat them.

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 11:50 AM
FlyersCup08

Basically a cut-an-paste from what I wrote last year, with a few edits. Most of it didn't change tho for NHL11.

Be-A-GM
-Check out NHL2k8. They have a great trading block, what you can get for players, what teams want for their specific players.
-For Free Agency, make it competitive for teams signing players, on July 1st everyone wants a lot, teams compete. But the closer it is to September, the less FA’s demand. Eliminates having 20 good players in FA during the year because they want an outrageous amount of money
-Stats from the year affect a players overall more, and how much they ask for in FA. If Ovechkin scores 3 goals and 2 assists in 82 games (assuming normal ice time), he shouldn’t ask for much at all, and his OVR should suffer
-FA negotiations more, add incentives, ability to front-load, see what the player wants, etc.
-Hire/Fire coaches / staff
-Again, 2k8 – setting your practice features improves your team
-Offseason scouting! For the love of God, look at 2k and see how much better it is, the offseason is like another season! It’s awesome to play with the guys you’re drafting beforehand, and by the time the draft comes, you feel like you know most of the players already!
-Training camp ala Madden before season
-Basically, play 2k8 and anything they have in there that EA doesn’t, well copy them
-Draft Day, for 1st round make it possible to trade at each selection. Eg. If I’m the 10th pick and think my guy’s going 3rd, but it turns out he’s still there at the 7th pick, I trade up to get him. Then do per round after the 1st

Presentation
-4 Officials on the ice
-Make scrums look real, and not 1on1 hack jobs
-Pregame warm ups during the controller loading screen, like FIFA or NBA
-Suspensions. If I injure a guy on a boarding, get 5 for it, suspend me 2 games. If the guy is out for the year and it was interference, suspend me 20 games
-Add shootout stats
-Add career stats
-Have announcers comment on milestones – Eg I was playing 2k8 and they had so many things to say that I thought were interesting, and then I was like, “Why are EA’s announcers so dull?”
-Net off moorings
-Possible collisions with goalies

Customization
-Observe 2k, they have more visors, more everything. Not all the players have the same tape job, you can customize exactly what tape job you want
-Be able to change facial hair, so you can give playoff beards if EA doesn't want to do it.

Skating Engine / Physics
-This is huge, have the players actually have weight. If they bump into each other, actually have them do that, not just bounce right off
-STICK-TO-STICK CONTACT. If my stick goes through my opponents in NHL12 I’ll freak out, unless the “A” button is pushed, the sticks are like they aren’t there
-Dmen should be penalized for going hard into the boards. Look at a real life dump and chase, the D has to slow down to retrieve the puck (or else eat **** into the boards), which allows the attacking player to go hard in, hit the D, and get the puck. This is why dump and chase doesn’t work, because you can go full speed into the boards without consequences
-Size should affect sticklifting. St. Louis shouldn’t easily sticklift Chara, cmon.

Shooting
-Wrist shots should feel like they have more weight to them. If I’m Ovechkin and I am open in the slot, and take a hard wrister, that should feel like it is hard, not just floating to the goalie
-TIME AND SPACE! If a player has time and space, his shot should have a MUCH better chance of going in. This allows for, on a breakaway, a much higher percentage of goals via a shot. Just look at the NHL, if there’s a guy all alone with time to pick his target, he’s gonna snipe.
-Make more goals on shots & rebounds

AI
-On offense, have them actually do what my strategy says, and why do they NEVER crash the net. Stop standing around and get open
-When moving the puck up ice, players should ALWAYS be moving, they stand still in the neutral zone so much it baffles me
-On defense, make it so that if a defender is in between the puck and an open attacker (most often seen on those cross-ice pass one-timer goals they claimed to have eliminated) he can easily break that up, or at least make it so that Chris Pronger can break up a pass from Boogaard. However, if Lasse Kukkonen is in front and Crosby is passing to Malkin, that pass gets through. This would substantially eliminate this cheap goal and make it realistic.

Fighting
-Look to NHL2k9. It’s perfect.

FlyersCup08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 12:09 PM
robmyatt
Rookie User

i don't know about everyone else but probably 90% of my NHL11 use is playing with my roomates. We made custom teams and play each other all the time (3 of us). We kept our teams under the salary cap and event started keeping track of stats and wins on a excel spreadsheet because we're that competitive.

I would love if NHL12 had a feature called "home league" where you could sit around with your roomates, do a fantasy draft to build custom teams, and the game kept track of all your games played and stats for your players.

that's my wish.

robmyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Dovahkiin
Geno! Geno! Geno!

Make screening the goalie an actual play. Like if i try and stand to the left/right or in front of the blue paint. There defenseman crosschecks me to the wall, with no penalty and no way to stop him.

Dovahkiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 05:27 PM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

I agree with most everything I read, especially finances in BeAGM. One thing I didn't see that I would like to is adjusted overalls for players, let me explain.

I'm fine with a tough guys overall being 80-81 because the fight skill and hitting stat really boost it up. However, it should be adjusted for the situation. Half the time I see a tough guy on the first line because of his overall. Overall ratings should be adjusted based on their player type and chemistry their linemates. Ex:

- A tough guy playing 20 mins a night with first liners would not fair well. The opposing team would walk circles around him. This would bring his overall way down along with the overall of his partners down slightly.

- A secondary scoring type of player (Hudler, for example) wouldn't thrive playing in the bottom 6 with grinders (Helm and Eaves). Being with better players (Datsyuk) would make him produce better while not quite as good players would bring down his numbers and his overall.

- Chemistry with linemates and their player type could also effect this. A play maker would do well with a sniper. A grinder would likely hurt the production of a scoring line player.

- I initially came up with this idea because of player positions. Adjusted overalls would bump a winger with poor faceoff ability down a few points. A defenseman playing forward because of injuries would also go down and vice versa.

kuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 08:15 PM
Spence334

I agree with most of everyone else's stuff. Stuff I really want added or altered:

-Hiring/firing coachs. Have different coaches bring different things to the table

-Players should only ask for what they have done. A 40 point rookie should not be asking for 5+ mil. Dont make the Salary dependent on the overall, rather make it dependent on the stats of the player during the last contract

-Have scouts recommend players at the draft. They may make a recommendation that gets you a guy that sucks or get you a guy thats really good depending on both your scouts level and some luck. That would be really cool.

-Realistic simulation. No way should a team with a bunch of 3-4th liners make the PO's. And no way should a stacked team battle out for a lottery pick.

Spence334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 08:32 PM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

vCash: 50
Simming is so unrealistic.

Stats and standings.

Frolov shouldn't have 97 points.
Crosby should get more than 76 points.

The Islanders shouldn't finish 1st in the East.
The Capitals shouldn't finish 13th in the East.

If you let your starting goalie play almost every game, and your team makes the playoffs, he shouldn't win the Hart.

Wade Belak shouldn't be on the 2nd line.
Bobby Butler shouldn't be on the 4th line.

Joe Pavelski shouldn't be a free agent on December 1st.
Teemu Selanne shouldn't sign with the Islanders for 1.1 million.

There should be more anomalies, where a 75 overall player has a breakout year and gets 60 points.
On the other hand, there should be players that have a random down-season, like Semin only getting 50 points.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 09:03 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

How about the ability to offer a player around the league, or to inquire about the value of another team's player? That would make trading a lot more reasonable, especially if they keep up with the phone system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speediakal View Post
Just press the left or right bumper to see the next player going through waivers...not that hard.
Had no idea. Thanks.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 09:19 PM
Wee Baby Seamus
I got your back

Make it so that a goalie doesn't win the Hart and Calder every single year. I had a Be a Pro as Tyler Ennis, dominated rookie scoring, and lost the Calder to some goalie with a 2.8 GAA and a sub-500 record.

Wee Baby Seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 09:57 PM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

To add onto my adjusted overalls suggestion, goalies should experience small amounts of fatigue. Playing them in back to back games will hurt their performance. Playing them in all 82 games will slowly fatigue them and hurt in the playoffs. So many days (or games) of rest will be needed to get them back to their full ability.

kuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 10:56 PM
Defeatist*

the main components here are what I wanted. I dont care about the "look" and menus in the game.

Fix the engine.
If you're using a star player like Crosby. Make it like you are using a star. Ditto with Datsyuk.

Most frustrating thing is having a player like Kunitz have the same ability and effectiveness as Crosby in corners or in open ice.

Just because Ovechkin is 6'3, doesnt mean he doesnt skate like a bull on skates and blazes up the ice. If you're taller than 6'0, your speed means nothing. Make speed mean something again.

When you change the difficulty of the game, dont just make your players worse. Make the CPU better.

There needs to be more options for 4on4 lineups. You need 4 sets of forwards that can be thrown on for 4on4. I dont care about putting the 2 most rested guys on the ice for a faceoff when neither is a Center.

3rd set of forwards for the PK is needed as well. These are really simple to add no?

The biggest thing and i'm not sure how to put this in is momentum. As in pressure. WHen 1 team is applying all the pressure, the crowd is loud/quiet and possibly even hitting the other team to death, it should be a little harder for the other team to do simple things like clear the puck. Even just for that shift.

Defeatist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 02:45 AM
Speediakal
Hometown Discount

The game needs to be more dynamic. Like one shift goes on (CPU team) and hits hard and is pressuring you all over the place. They get off and another line comes on and is a little less aggressive, opening the ice up, playing more defensive, etc.

I don't see this in NHL11. I know there are different strategy settings for each line, but I just don't see a difference really. It should be really noticeable.

All-Star and Superstar difficulty need to be changed. I find it terrible to play on those 2 settings. Pro seems to be the best, but I still end up scoring 8-0.

Speed doesn't seem to mean anything in this game, every player seems to go the same speed. Again, bring speed burst back.

What does "Hustle" do? L3 on PS3 when on offense. I don't see it do anything...

Speediakal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 04:29 AM
Gallick

Some really huge gameplay issues that are evident playing the game a ridiculous amount over the last year...

- AI forwards have brutal positioning. They can't get open to save their lives, and it seems the only open to get pucks on the net is to go back to the points, or try and wheel back high and cut into the middle. Passing across the ice any deeper into the zone than across the blue line is completely useless.

- Between the poor positioning of my forwards and the fact that it seems that the AI gets to every loose puck first, gets a stick in every passing lane and poke checks every time I wind up for a slapper, I have a really frustrating time building offense. There really isn't a very evident way to cycle properly.

- Goalie passing, as it is, is completely useless. I recognize that a goalie doesn't have as much power or dexterity as a skater, but I should still be able to bang it off the glass in the corner or make a decent pass around the boards instead of these marshmallow flubs that the goalies in '11 are capable of.

- The human team's goalie save percentage has a SERIOUS issue, and I'm not sure if it's a difficulty setting issue, a slider issue, an AI issue, or what. I love being challenged in games. Getting hemmed into my own zone scrambling to get a lucky poke check or a blocked shot that will let me clear and change my tired guys off is exciting and I think it's awesome. But I can't seem to find a balance between playing on Allstar and Superstar. In Allstar, I dominate the flow of the game, doubling or tripling shots and the time on attack, winning faceoffs, getting more hits, everything. Some games I score lots, some games I don't. But what's consistent is that the other team seems to manage to score 3-4 goals on 10-15 shots on a regular basis. On Superstar, the game is way more even from a flow perspective, but I get absolutely shelled and it seems like every shot is going in the net. I'm not the greatest NHL player ever, I've played this game way more than long enough to know that this is not an issue with how I play defense.

- I am a Be a GM nut. I spend 98% of my time in the mode. It needs work. The draft is possibly the least exciting thing ever. Playoffs don't feel like playoffs--yeah, the crowd is louder, but where's my amped up team intro? Where's my season matchup stats? Where's my all-time playoff stats for my clutch players? Watching the NHL playoffs on TV and then going and playing a playoff series in NHL '11 is like going from the Thunderdome to an ECHL game. It lacks tension, it lacks intensity.

- Too many hitting from behind penalties. The AI turns into the boards when getting the puck every time. Watch how an NHL player barrels into the corner or into the sideboards to retrieve the puck: with his head up, watching who's coming after him, turning to take the hit in the chest or the shoulder. Not bent over with his head against the boards, digging for the puck waiting to get train wrecked.

- There's a weird bug that shows up in Be a GM every once in a while that messes up the value of 1st round picks. It particularly seems to show up when you've traded for someone else's 1st rounder. I was playing as Calgary, and I got Montreal's 1st in a trade. Some other team offered a trade for Montreal's 1st, and the value of Montreal's 1st (which was a top 5 pick) was nearly the same value as a 2nd round pick in the trade screen. What gives?

- The trade engine is absolutely awful. Negotiating is ridiculous and arbitrary. Enough has been said about this that I won't go into detail, but I don't think I've managed to pull off a single good "hockey trade"--it's always like one good guy and a bunch of garbage for a superstar. There's no other way to do it.

A few rapid fire ones:
- Please let me see my junior players' stats and growth throughout the year!
- Please let me hire and fire coaches that will give my team stat boosts, like in EAUHL!
- Please let me have way more control over player and prospect development!
- Please have someone other than a goalie win the Calder and Conn Smythe trophies!
- Please bring back finances and have them affect how much my owner wants me to spend on salary!
- Please create Custom League Be a GM--I choose the teams, how many of them, divisions, the rules, the salary cap, etc!
- Please allow multiplayer or online Be a GM!
- Please give us linemate chemistry!
- Please adjust the pass/shoot tendencies of player types so that my playmakers pass and my snipers score when I sim!
- Please spend a few minutes to create some non-hideous international jerseys, even if you can't get the license for the actual ones!
- Why is my created team logo in greyscale in Be a GM? It's in color on my jersey and on center ice, isn't it?

Thanks, EA guys. I honesty love your game. You provide me with endless entertainment every single year. Hope to see some of the above make it to NHL12!

Gallick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 04:41 AM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Diggler View Post
Fix the engine.
If you're using a star player like Crosby. Make it like you are using a star. Ditto with Datsyuk.
This.
Think about when you're playing NBA and using Lebron James. You know you're using Lebron and he's putting up 40. It's not like this in NHL.

Online Dynasties are long overdue.

Also make the CPU players better in EASHL.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 04:11 PM
straka91*

Decrease the value of potential in trades and signings.

Decrease the value of 1st rounders in trades a tad bit.

No trade clauses, No movement clauses.

Tweak what goalies demand, no more 10 million a year.

Mid season resigning ability.

Strategy for each line.

When a new player comes in, they take a player whos been in the team longer jersey number.

Tweak skating so it doesnt feel so sluggish.

Asham does not have blonde hair. Edit player features. Hair, hair color, etc.

Facial hair needs to have that poofy feeling, not like its painted on a face.

Mission helmets would be cool.

Get rid of that goofy Reebok helmet, bring back the one Pronger/Crosby use.

Fix the save custom camera feature.

More grappling "hugging" in fighting. Switch hands.

Last edited by straka91*: 05-14-2011 at 04:31 PM.
straka91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 06:55 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Be a GM CHL + import those draft classes to be a GM NHL. Like NCAA and Madden.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 07:05 PM
patleb940

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsonhab View Post
Pretty much everything I wanted to say has been said but basically, put some time in to Be GM and Be a Pro.
These are the reasons why so many people buy the game. Not everyone does the online thing. The Dynasty mode from 04 is better than 11 for crying out loud. Be a Pro in Madden 08 is better than 11. It doesn't make sense. Just put some time in to it.

It seems like instead of tweaking the previous year's game, they just make everything completely new. We always get a draft copy it seems. The only way to improve the game is to fix errors. Otherwise you're just going in a circle.

I have been a hardcore supporter of EA NHL series since 01, but I am seriously considering switching if 12 doesn't blow me away. From the sounds of it, 2K is getting their **** together too. These games are too damn expensive to be sub-par. Time to step it up or a lot of people will take their money elsewhere. Sorry for being harsh, but I feel I've earned my opinion over 10 years of dedication.
This is EXACTLY how I feel! This post should get sent to EA developers ASAP.

patleb940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 07:14 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Career ending injuries.
Crease crashing.
Suspension please!
When I score my 200th career goal make a big deal out of it.
Some sort of media presentation on weeks happenings, injuries upsets, milestones.
Clinching playoff talks by announcers.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 07:21 PM
Thepainter

Tell them to go play NBA2K11 and then copy everything in that. It is truly the greatest sports game available to date.

Thepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 08:09 PM
Recast

Send a message via MSN to Recast
A few things. Don;t know if they have been said or not but...

The old style jerseys need to be fixed. I don't want to look like a whale.

More stick tape options, why can't I have a player with the whole blade taped or just the end?

Goalies need to look different, they all look the same.

Computer AI needs to be fixed [I'm sure this has been said many times]. I feel like, when I play on Superstar, if I don't play a certain way it's almost a guaranteed loss. AI dumps the puck in and they ALWAYS get it because the puck ALWAYS bounces off the ice onto their stick, even if you're in the right spot. If I turn the CPU's accuracy ALL the way down, they shouldn't be hitting the corners EVERY time. Also, I have to play with idiots on my team [CPU] and the CPU controlled team gets smart AI? My guys do NOTHING to people in front of the net and there have been times where I have been left wondering where my defenceman is or the forward that should have been covering a certain player, only to find them just standing there or 10 feet behind. A lot of times when you try to pass to a CPU the puck just goes past them because they stop THEN try to get it.

Easier to push players around in front of the net. A lot of times I'm in front of the net trying to "hit" someone so they don't get the cross crease pass but I find myself skating around him with my arms up and he gets the puck and scores.

Speed burst. Where did it go? See NHL 2004. Especially against the CPU. On Superstar, rarely do you get a clear cut breakaway. Even if you manage to they still seem to dive or poke check and its far away from your player but he still goes down on his knees.

Different skating styles. Ryan Smyth does not skate like Dustin Penner [just an example].

Bring back the GM office from NHL 2004. Add more depth to it.

Also from 2004, bring back practices. Make it a coach option.

Line match-ups. It seems, and probably is, that the other teams 1st line ALWAYS plays against your 4th line and it goes up from there. If I want my 3rd line out there against the other teams top line, the TOI and stats should reflect that.

Make it easier to change lines on the go. I shouldn't have to pause the game and take 5 minutes to put Paajarvi on the 1st PP unit because he's having a whale of a game. Also, if I'm up by 5 goals in the 3rd period, I want to switch my PP lines to have my 3rd and 4th liners out there for more icetime.

Ability to make your own goalie masks. Add designs, logos, maybe an option to put text on the back of the mask [like Dwayne Roloson and his sons], or on the front [such as a nickname].

If I put a player on waivers after the trade deadline and someone claimes him, he shouldn't be able to play for the team he was claimed by.

Make simulation actually simulate, not randomize. Too many times have I won the President's Trophy only to sim the playoffs and get swept in the first round.

The "Last 5 minutes of the 3rd Period". I know this is for intervening and such but I feel like it needs to go. WAY too many times have I been simulating a game and 4 goals are scored within 2 minutes of eachother. It feels like the simulation treats it like another period.

Simulating games. If you want to keep the intervene stuff, give options. Make the simulation of the boxscore stop after every period and you can choose whether to intervene at the beginning of the next period. Also, when the boxscore stops at the end of a period give the ability to check on player stats, time on ice, maybe make some line changes etc.

Simulating Play-off OT games. It never lasts more than 1 period and very rarely lasts more than 5 minutes. I want to see 2 or 3 OTs.

Another player look option. Let me roll up my sleeves onto my elbow pad. Many players do it. Also, stick length edit.

Player stats. I want to see AVG TOI, not minutes played. I don't care if Kris Letang has played 1800 minutes. I want to know if he's doin' 26-27 minutes a night.

Better board play. I feel like NHL 2004 was a great example. Expand on that.

BRING BACK AUTO DEKES.

Bring back face-off alignment options.

More forecheck options. 1-2-2 isn't the trap. I want 0-5 on the blueline. If I want to play the trap I should be able to. Bring in the 1-3-1. Probably wouldn't be hard to make a Create Your Own Forecheck. 3 zones and place the players.

That's it for now. Grats to you if you read it all. I'm probably missing quite a few points.

Last edited by Recast: 05-14-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Recast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 08:47 PM
Backlund

vCash: 50
In BAP they should add the world juniors.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 11:03 PM
Picaroon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepainter View Post
Tell them to go play NBA2K11 and then copy everything in that. It is truly the greatest sports game available to date.
I just bought yesterday. Unbelievable. The attention to detail is unbelievable. Unfortunately I suck big time, and my brain can't quite comprehend the awesomeness after all the bland EA presentation, but I am determined to get used to it.

Picaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 09:43 AM
Grandpabuzz

Send a message via AIM to Grandpabuzz
Alot of what has been said here has been cosmetic. Having different jerseys, historical teams, custom arenas, etc are not going to make this any better than the previous version. NHL 12 needs to focus on the core three for this game to be great to me: gameplay, presentation, and franchise.

Gameplay.
-Continue to make the game more organic, which means make the puck more "loose" and not stick to gloves, sticks, players, etc.
-More defensive pressure - defenseman need to be much more aggressive when you are in the offensive zone - as a result of that goalies should not have to be robots to make game scores realistic
- Make players more like their realistic counterparts. Hal Gill should not be able to enter the zone and deke like Pavel Datsyuk past Zdeno Chara to score a goal

Presentation
-See NBA 2k11 for almost everything, especially commentary
-More in game stats. I really don't want to see every stop in play to see one player's in game stats. That negative 1 plus/minus does not really give me too much insight and does engage me in the franchise as much as if I were shown league standings, league leaders in goal/assists/PIM/etc, or team streaks. This type of addition would really make me get a feel of what is going on in the franchise.
-Make the crowd more involved. Sometimes you see delayed reactions, but when there is a goal scored/huge save/big hit, the crowd needs to get wild, especially in the playoffs. The noise level when the team is winning needs to be highly elevated compared to when a team is losing 7-0 at home (should be dead silent).
-Playoffs - Again elevate the atmosphere with whiteouts, camera men all around the place, injury news around the league, out of town scores, history stats about players in the playoffs, team history in the playoffs, how the teams did against each other in the regular season, and handshakes. Make the stanley cup celebration extended like a 10 minute short film. I should have the opportunity to have any player on my team hoist the cup
-Navigation - the way that NBA 2k11 has it set up is awesome and easy to follow, something similar would be great.
-In-game saves

Franchise
-All prior bugs need to be fixed
-Simulation logic improve. The better team should win 66% of the time. So New York Islanders should not be 1st in the league, and Marek Svatos should not lead the league in goals - again going to back to better individual performance
- No high profile free agent (Phanuef, Kane, Richards) needs to be a UFA mid-way through the season. Free agency should mimic the NHL. Day one you see a flurry of deals done, day two is similar, and then it dies down the rest of period
-After the season you have a screen of retirements and a screen of players "leaving to Europe (doesn't have to specify where)." These would be older, fringe players who where stuck in the AHL or didn't get too much interest from FA. These would not be guys like Phanuef, Kane or Richards - otherwise the purpose would be defeated.
- Draft day needs to be an event. There should a number of trades that match the average trades in the real NHL. There should also be some kind of page/show which talks about players in the draft and potential impact they will have
-The trading deadline needs to also be an event. When more than 50% of trades in the real NHL happen on that date, the same needs to happen on that date. However, we should not see Sidney Crosby traded to Detroit for a 1st round pick. This day should focus on trading EXPIRING contracts of mid/old guys from picks/prospects.
-In general there should be trades for contracts if teams need to cut salary to stay under the cap, get new players
-Implement a "God Mode" when starting a franchise. There is always complaints here of teams doing stupid things such as asking for a defenseman on the block but saying they don't need one when offered one. Before starting the franchise you would be given these sliders:
Spend More/Less
Young Team / Veteran team
Transaction Activity High / Low
Value Draft Picks High / Low
This would be for each team in the league (except the ones you control) and can be done manually or random.

Grandpabuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 01:26 PM
Semin

For some reason today it just hit me while playing NHL 11. I've played hockey for over a decade and I've never seen a puck bounce 20 feet in the air when it hits a lying stick on the ice.

For BAP it would be cool to show my players stats vs every team in the league. I wanna see which team I feast on (like Crosby against Philly), well Crosby against every team basically haha.

Last edited by Semin: 05-15-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 01:38 PM
islesfan3991

Send a message via Yahoo to islesfan3991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallick View Post
Some really huge gameplay issues that are evident playing the game a ridiculous amount over the last year...

- AI forwards have brutal positioning. They can't get open to save their lives, and it seems the only open to get pucks on the net is to go back to the points, or try and wheel back high and cut into the middle. Passing across the ice any deeper into the zone than across the blue line is completely useless.

- Between the poor positioning of my forwards and the fact that it seems that the AI gets to every loose puck first, gets a stick in every passing lane and poke checks every time I wind up for a slapper, I have a really frustrating time building offense. There really isn't a very evident way to cycle properly.

- Goalie passing, as it is, is completely useless. I recognize that a goalie doesn't have as much power or dexterity as a skater, but I should still be able to bang it off the glass in the corner or make a decent pass around the boards instead of these marshmallow flubs that the goalies in '11 are capable of.

- The human team's goalie save percentage has a SERIOUS issue, and I'm not sure if it's a difficulty setting issue, a slider issue, an AI issue, or what. I love being challenged in games. Getting hemmed into my own zone scrambling to get a lucky poke check or a blocked shot that will let me clear and change my tired guys off is exciting and I think it's awesome. But I can't seem to find a balance between playing on Allstar and Superstar. In Allstar, I dominate the flow of the game, doubling or tripling shots and the time on attack, winning faceoffs, getting more hits, everything. Some games I score lots, some games I don't. But what's consistent is that the other team seems to manage to score 3-4 goals on 10-15 shots on a regular basis. On Superstar, the game is way more even from a flow perspective, but I get absolutely shelled and it seems like every shot is going in the net. I'm not the greatest NHL player ever, I've played this game way more than long enough to know that this is not an issue with how I play defense.

- I am a Be a GM nut. I spend 98% of my time in the mode. It needs work. The draft is possibly the least exciting thing ever. Playoffs don't feel like playoffs--yeah, the crowd is louder, but where's my amped up team intro? Where's my season matchup stats? Where's my all-time playoff stats for my clutch players? Watching the NHL playoffs on TV and then going and playing a playoff series in NHL '11 is like going from the Thunderdome to an ECHL game. It lacks tension, it lacks intensity.

- Too many hitting from behind penalties. The AI turns into the boards when getting the puck every time. Watch how an NHL player barrels into the corner or into the sideboards to retrieve the puck: with his head up, watching who's coming after him, turning to take the hit in the chest or the shoulder. Not bent over with his head against the boards, digging for the puck waiting to get train wrecked.

- There's a weird bug that shows up in Be a GM every once in a while that messes up the value of 1st round picks. It particularly seems to show up when you've traded for someone else's 1st rounder. I was playing as Calgary, and I got Montreal's 1st in a trade. Some other team offered a trade for Montreal's 1st, and the value of Montreal's 1st (which was a top 5 pick) was nearly the same value as a 2nd round pick in the trade screen. What gives?

- The trade engine is absolutely awful. Negotiating is ridiculous and arbitrary. Enough has been said about this that I won't go into detail, but I don't think I've managed to pull off a single good "hockey trade"--it's always like one good guy and a bunch of garbage for a superstar. There's no other way to do it.

A few rapid fire ones:
- Please let me see my junior players' stats and growth throughout the year!
- Please let me hire and fire coaches that will give my team stat boosts, like in EAUHL!
- Please let me have way more control over player and prospect development -Please have someone other than a goalie win the Calder and Conn Smythe trophies!
- Please bring back finances and have them affect how much my owner wants me to spend on salary!
- Please create Custom League Be a GM--I choose the teams, how many of them, divisions, the rules, the salary cap, etc!
- Please allow multiplayer or online Be a GM!
- Please give us linemate chemistry!
- Please adjust the pass/shoot tendencies of player types so that my playmakers pass and my snipers score when I sim!
- Please spend a few minutes to create some non-hideous international jerseys, even if you can't get the license for the actual ones!
- Why is my created team logo in greyscale in Be a GM? It's in color on my jersey and on center ice, isn't it?

Thanks, EA guys. I honesty love your game. You provide me with endless entertainment every single year. Hope to see some of the above make it to NHL12!
I agree with all of the bold. The thing I want to see is a VERY deep Be A GM mode. I want draft day to feel like an actual draft. Too many times I see the actual draft reflect the rankings. Trading needs to be revamped. Too many "we need defence" then say "we dont need defence". I think the game is great but Be A GM can be approved a lot.

islesfan3991 is offline   Reply With Quote