HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

NHL 12 Feedback Session - UPDATED FIRST POST - Final Review and Closing Thoughts

Old
05-15-2011, 03:18 PM
v Wesco v
O LazZy T

vCash: 500
I may be in the minority but potential i think should be changed, instead of haveing A+ offense and things like that, i think it should be more like hfboards prospect ratings were its like 7.5 = good 2nd line player scale it 1-10.

v Wesco v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 03:20 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

Just a couple things because most has been covered

-Fix the salary cap in GM mode...I shouldn't have to do a whole bunch of changing rosters, especially when all the teams are above floor/below ceiling yet it says there are cap problems when I try to start a franchise.

- More player movement without the puck. Too much standing around.

-Defensemen should move into the slot if I skate up the boards toward the blue line and stay there. D-men really need to find the open space better.

- We need more five hole goals, especially on breakaways.

- Too many men on the ice penalties. Would make line changes more strategic.

- Some type of graphic next to my change lines option that shows which line the opposition is putting on the ice (If I'm the home team)

Gootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 03:35 PM
Keeping Karlsson
Since 2013

3 quick points:

Line Changes: get rid of the animated UI that takes a second to open when you try to change on the fly. Have an option to turn off Auto line changes/turn on Manual only (when CPU does it, sometimes guys don't actually leave the ice, and it's hard to correct). Make the black 'strategy' bar on line change UI transparent so that it doesn't block out a chunk of the ice when you make a change.

Defense AI: make CPU more aggressive in 2 ways.. first, have them be able to pressure the puckholder when he is in his own defensive zone. It's too easy for someone to play keepaway on a penalty kill or to hold a lead late in the game. Second, step in the lanes to prevent those ridiculous and infinite passes that the CPU can pull off in the offensive zone.

Trade UI: make it user-friendly. Make it possible to search for players in the league based on parameters you set (age, salary, position, rating) so you can quickly find guys you want to target. And try and cut down on the button-presses.. making a trade is annoying because of the CPU AI that doesn't seem to mean what it says in negotations/rejections, but also because of the time and labour it takes to just cycle through teams, find guys, and put offers together.

thanks for doing this -- can't wait to hear about it. tbh, I'm thinking of going with 2k this year if they do get an NHL game out, because their franchise mode is incredible with its '(NBA) Today' features, online mode, and adjustments based on the stories of the season. But I hope EA puts out a better product this year. The physics-based hitting was fun, but in terms of gameplay, I don't feel like much really changed or was improved upon from 10.

Keeping Karlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 04:20 PM
FlyersCup08

Really small thing: during a fantasy draft, have more attribute visuals than just overall. I often like to sort players by speed by the 10th or so round, or hardest shot, etc. Right now it's OVR, age, potential, and salary. Give us the other stuff too.

FlyersCup08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 04:34 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
- Having your created player's name actually announced in the game.

Personally speaking, both my first name last name are names that have belonged to folks that have been in the NHL over the years. And IMO it's annoying when you score in BAP mode or whatever and all you hear is "a *insert team here* goal. Scored by number blah blah blah...time of the goal...yada yada yada"

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 04:42 PM
Semin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
- Having your created player's name actually announced in the game.

Personally speaking, both my first name last name are names that have belonged to folks that have been in the NHL over the years. And IMO it's annoying when you score in BAP mode or whatever and all you hear is "a *insert team here* goal. Scored by number blah blah blah...time of the goal...yada yada yada"
It would be cool to say your last name into the mic and somehow it converts it into the game.

Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 05:10 PM
LilySmoov

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but a player's salary demands in GM mode needs a touching-up. A 2-time 35+ goal scorer and 1-time 50+ scorer at the ripe old age of 26 should be asking for more than 1.750M, and likewise, a 0-time 20 goal scorer after 12 years in the NHL shouldn't be getting paid 7M.

And happy first post to me

LilySmoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 05:51 PM
LWnumber09

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK7117 View Post
It would be cool to say your last name into the mic and somehow it converts it into the game.
I agree with this...heck NHL 2k10 said my name when i scored Other than that...make BAP better and more interesting, and take away alot of the glitch goals. Scoring top corner is easy as pie but sniping the 5 hole on a break away is almost impossible

LWnumber09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 06:06 PM
Defeatist*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK7117 View Post
Even spelling it out like some of those websites so that it could be sounded out.

Defeatist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 08:43 PM
CowbellConray

Quote:
Originally Posted by v Wesco v View Post
I may be in the minority but potential i think should be changed, instead of haveing A+ offense and things like that, i think it should be more like hfboards prospect ratings were its like 7.5 = good 2nd line player scale it 1-10.
I would love that. Like for Ryan Nugent Hopkins have the starting scouting report say 7.0-9.0. Then if you scout him the entire year by the end its a 8.5 B with a Green bar meaning that it is accurate. Then it will have little notes to help identify strengths and weaknesses. Like "Great Pass, great vision... Needs to work on defense and awarness devensivly". So instead of picking someone who you cant tell how good they are and if they would be a great playmaker you can see it in the notes.

Kinda like Madden 10

CowbellConray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 09:11 PM
InUtero
Oilers!

Do different people work on the Madden series than the NHL??

InUtero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 10:15 PM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

Quote:
Agreed, something like this would be much better. Especially combined with a letter grade to determine the chance they hit that potential. It shouldn't be a sure thing.

kuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 12:08 AM
Bulls9220

Fix the computers in EASHL. Like a lot. If someone moves in on one of my Dmen I feel like its pretty much a breakaway. Also when the comp gets a break he just skates into the goalie.
I feel like the skills competition would be cool, considering you decide who wins on the NHL website you could easily do it/have done it.
Hit someone over boards, break glass.

Bulls9220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 03:48 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

- Fix the CPU/CPU goalie AI. It's so stupid how your CPU goalie in offline BAP mode will sometimes be playing lights out insane for like 98% of the game, and then with like say less than 5 minutes to go, they'll let in a really cheesy goal (or goals), and blow the shutout.

- Fix the hitting (alot of the time players still just bounce off of each other like rubber)

- More penalties (i.e. goalie interference, as well as the ability to run opposing goalies or for your opponents to run into yours) and (idealistically) suspensions.

- Having each team's theme song already preloaded into the game. I.E. If your playing as the Penguins at the CEC then you'll hear the Penguins theme song as everyone skates out onto the ice.

Last edited by MetalheadPenguinsFan: 05-16-2011 at 03:57 AM.
MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 07:24 AM
islesfan3991

Send a message via Yahoo to islesfan3991
Not sure if this was brought up yet so I'll say it now. I love playing online in the EAHL. But too many times I get people that try to score easy goals. I can't stand it when people pass across the front of the net on the rush and they score. I've had guys score 5 goals like that before and there is no way to defend it. I wouldn't consider it cheating, but I would say that they are using flaws in the game to their advantage. Maybe EA can make a goalies side to side movement better but I think it needs to be fixed. When I play, I want to play aginst people that actually want to play the right way.

islesfan3991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 10:38 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speediakal View Post
There should be fatigue after games like it is in FIFA 10. Where if you play a player a lot, he's then fatigued the next day and not able to perform at 100% in the next game, depending how long it is till the next game. This would be a nice feature especially for playoff games. Also, you should be able to upgrade your conditioning trainers like you can in FIFA 10 so that players who are played a lot can recover faster the higher your conditioning staff are rated.

I think a lot should be adapted from FIFA10, like form, where a players overall dips if he is out of form (cold streak) or rises above normal when he is on good form (hot streak).
While I love the form idea, FIFA has expanded rosters in general so subbing is easier. NHL subbing isn't as simple, which leads me to another change I want EA to make, making it easier to edit lines without pulling the drop down lineup list every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by straka91 View Post
The deking speeds are too fast and even. Harder ones should be a little slower and have a much higher increase in losing the puck.
*The person from the EA main forums who went to the last event made an excellent video for what im trying to describe.*

Also, as a defender, it would be nice to shove players away from the crease easier. Its there in 11 but almost impossible to do.

Suspensions and more 2,5,10;s for fighting.

Checking and fighting skill should not be so important for raising the overall. Makes lines unrealistic. The Boogaards of the league should be in the 60's not 79 or 81 overall.

More ref interaction, breaking up players in scrums etc.

Edit contract lengths in edit player would be nice.

Easier free agent edit player lists categories.

Tweak the youngsters growing lol. I only put on 2 inches and 20 pounds from 16-19. Not a foot and 60 pounds.

Player tendencies (work hard, drive to the net, lazy, etc) Want to tell a difference between a Kovalev and a Ian lappy.

Skip button for goal reviews.

Players need to decline sooner. A 33 year old should not have c,c,c. (Rare exceptions like Lidstrom, Selanne, Recchi, etc)

Tweak the physics so size is more of a factor.

Create a forecheck would be cool. Atleast include the 1-3-1

Option to start in following offseason with the right free agents etc. Tired of simming a season.

Oversea signings in Be A Gm

Non playable ECHL to send players down to.

For otp, strength should start higher for all players.

Buying boost packs make experience points double.

I think most of this stuff can be worked in the remaining months, most of them are mainly tweaks.
Noted, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAOREO View Post
Didn't read through all of these, might be double posting some.

Here are just a couple things that need to be fixed;

- AI, when I have the puck and a teammate skates in front of me, blocking me.

- AI, teammates never in the correct area for a pass, or one-timer.

- AI, in BAP goalie, i turn the settings for human players way down, and the other team never shoots, just passes it over and over and over. Same goes for when the settings are equal, my team passes over and over and over.

- BAP, goalie, more shots against. 10 shots a game isn't cutting it.

- BAP, should be forced off the ice, I can easily play 10-15 minute a period.

- Realistic simming, a stacked team should win more often than not. Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos should be leading scorers. Not some scrub on a team that isn't even going to make the playoffs.

- Glitch goals. Yes you know, the good old fashioned wrist shot that can never be stopped. As well as the one-timers from all over the ice going in.

- 6 pauses online eashl. It really irritates me when the other team pauses over and over again until they have no more. Maybe 1 pause per player?

- Realistic fans, arenas, goal horns. It can't be that hard can it?

- Be able to control finances, fan relations, coaches.

- Real jerseys for the world teams, they are really really bad.

- Black and white logos for created teams.. need I say more.

- Better player customization features, I am sick of every player looking the exact same.

- More equipment in general.

- Be able to purchase better equipment with the money you make in BAP.

- Players should not fall down every time they try to turn. Even with a balance of 85, I fall all the time.

- Fighting with the left and right hands, just like the lovely announcers say they can.

- Better announcers.

- More music in menus, games, loading screens.

- I want to be able to check someone through the glass.

- I want to see some blood or something if a player takes a shot in the face, or broken noses in fights.

- Not getting hurt when you smash into the boards by accident. It's too much.

- I thought ratings went down for a period in eashl when you get hurt, but when I pause and look at my players rating, it stays down for the entire game.

- Game misconducts in eashl. I don't want to play for 2 minutes, get a game, and have to sit it out if I want to keep my dnf intact.

- Better goalie control, I don't want the AI to make a save for me, let me do it myself.

- More unique goal celebrations as well as a time to perform them.

- There should be a noticeable difference between a guy with 85 speed compared to a guy with 90 speed.

- On eashl, make the computer players rated 75 throughout or something. I am tired of having 90 speed and agility and having the 59 rated computer defensemen beat me to a puck.

- I want to have an option to kick out a player (by vote) who won't start a game in eashl, you know, the guy that waits until the last second to quit, or the one who won't play D when all the forward positions are taken.

- Make winning the cup more of a reward, I don't find any pleasure in winning it because it doesn't really mean anything.

- Get rid of the phone trading crap.

- My rep should not drop because I don't accept a ****y deal from the cpu.

- Make trades more even, Hall for Ovechkin wouldn't happen in the real world would it?

- When you are simming games with the assistant coach off, be able to throw in the back up goalie for a couple of games.

- Request a trade in BAP. And what's with the, oh, I could only get this much out of the team you just helped to win the cup, but hey, here are 3 other ****y teams with better offers.

- Chemistry with different types of players. Sniper - Playmaker - Sniper should be better than Sniper - Sniper - Sniper. And so on.

- Give us the option of not watching the replays in intermissions. Right now its replay, 30 sec, start. It should be, watch if you want, but its a max of 60 seconds during the intermission.

- Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos and the like should not be free agents for their whole careers.

- AI spam hits you and you can't do anything about it.

- Retired numbers should remain retired. I HATE seeing someone wear 19 on my Avalanche team.

I'd go on but I am at work right now and can't really think of anything else.
The retired numbers thing should be user controlled. Maybe set it up so you can turn it on and off? Retired numbers should be easy to add to the game.

Rest is noted, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Simming is so unrealistic.

Stats and standings.

Frolov shouldn't have 97 points.
Crosby should get more than 76 points.

The Islanders shouldn't finish 1st in the East.
The Capitals shouldn't finish 13th in the East.

If you let your starting goalie play almost every game, and your team makes the playoffs, he shouldn't win the Hart.

Wade Belak shouldn't be on the 2nd line.
Bobby Butler shouldn't be on the 4th line.

Joe Pavelski shouldn't be a free agent on December 1st.
Teemu Selanne shouldn't sign with the Islanders for 1.1 million.

There should be more anomalies, where a 75 overall player has a breakout year and gets 60 points.
On the other hand, there should be players that have a random down-season, like Semin only getting 50 points.
They told me they worked on simming a bit between 10 and 11, but these issues still seem to work their way in. I'll mention it with the team.

Quote:
That would be cool, I'll mention it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilySmoov View Post
I'm sure this has been mentioned, but a player's salary demands in GM mode needs a touching-up. A 2-time 35+ goal scorer and 1-time 50+ scorer at the ripe old age of 26 should be asking for more than 1.750M, and likewise, a 0-time 20 goal scorer after 12 years in the NHL shouldn't be getting paid 7M.

And happy first post to me
Salary demands in general are insane, couldnt they just tie it to overall and age? lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by islesfan3991 View Post
Not sure if this was brought up yet so I'll say it now. I love playing online in the EAHL. But too many times I get people that try to score easy goals. I can't stand it when people pass across the front of the net on the rush and they score. I've had guys score 5 goals like that before and there is no way to defend it. I wouldn't consider it cheating, but I would say that they are using flaws in the game to their advantage. Maybe EA can make a goalies side to side movement better but I think it needs to be fixed. When I play, I want to play aginst people that actually want to play the right way.
Cross crease goals are legit, they are just spammed. I'll mention it.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 01:31 PM

I am pretty happy with the game overall but there are some things I'd like to change:

#1 FINANCE - I really liked it how they did the finance part of a dynasty in FIFA. Here's how I'd make it work in BE A GM.

A) INCOME:
- Sponsors
- Ticket Sales
- Merchandise
- Other expenses

B) EXPENSES:
- Payroll
- Staff
- Scouting
- Other expenses

I would like to see the cap calculated daily just like the real NHL. After every game, the finance page would pop up and tell you how much you made $$$ in that game, how much cap you spent, how much cap is left, etc.

For a road game, you would have very minimal income, but a lot of expense, including flying all of your players, food, hotels, etc.

#2 PRESTIGE - Every team would have a 'prestige rating' which would greatly affect your team's finance. Also, every team would have their own 'personality' according to real life. For exemple, the Nashville Predators would have amazing scouts from the start, but would have an internal budget. The New York Rangers would draw huge income from sponsors and merchandise, etc.

Also, sometimes, a window would pop up saying something like 'Chris Drury spent the night in jail after a bar fight', you would then have a choice of 4 press releases which would affect your team's prestige ratings.

Prestige ratings wil help you draw a better crowd, more sponsors, and better free agents.

#3 INJURIES - Have more minor injuries that will keep a player out for one or two game. I'm tired of spending seasons with my whole team playing 82 games.

Also, have more long term injuries throughout the league, and perhaps even one or two career-ending injuries per year.

#4 CHANGES - I wanna see things chance through the years. I wanna see teams move, switch arenas, have Nashville become a financial power house depending on their prestige ratings of course, have teams switch farm teams, new jerseys, new goalie goalie equipment, I wanna see players signing in the KHL, maybe even change some of the rules, etc. I would like to be able to play more than 25 seasons also.

#5 CHL DYNASTY - This is the biggest thing for me. I want to play as the Montreal Juniors in a 50-year dynasty. Have players being drafted and making the NHL at 18/19. Euro-Draft, 20 years old players, etc all the real rules. Make finance a big thing too so that a team like Baie-Comeau has basically no money to get great euro players which is realistic. Add the prestige rating too so that this can change after a couple of great playoff runs for exemple.

#6 MULTIPLAYER DYNASTY - I would like to be able to control more than one team in dynasty, in order to have friends control their own team as we all compete for the cup.

#7 BETTER TRADING - Trading is a joke in this game... make it more realistic. I want a gauge in the middle of the trade screen telling me how far away I am from getting a 'yes' from the other GM.

#8 STAFF - Have the real coaches and GMs in the game, and just like EHM have a bunch from the AHL/CHL sitting in free agency and sometimes getting hired over the summer. Retiring players like for exemple Steve Yzerman getting a GM job too.

#9 HISTORY - More attention should be brought to history of the game. Retired numbers, records, all-time stats, things like that.

I like most of the stuff they have right now, of course it's not perfect but it's fun. If they can add some of the stuff I wrote above I'd be very happy.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 02:08 PM
FlyersCup08

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmed93 View Post
Do different people work on the Madden series than the NHL??
Completely different teams.

FlyersCup08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 06:05 PM
Kenny Powders

And please, ffs, when offseason comes, dont lock up the line changes and everything.

It sucks that i can't see my lineup, like whos out and In ..so i dont sign 2 RW when i needed 2 LW's ..

Kenny Powders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 06:33 PM
madgoat33

I pretty much exclusively played online or offline versus until PSN went down. The only real thing I'd like to see fixed are more accurate ratings(crawford shouldn't be rated lower than turco) and some sort of live-roster feature like NBA.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 03:07 AM
straka91*

Defend Lead and Conservative are still a little too aggresive imo. I want the players to hang back more.

Give the ref a visor, newer helmet, dont see too many wearing the old CCM anymore.

Option to have the cage in the visor category instead of having that college helmet. Looks weird without a logo on front.

A.I. defenders need to be more active, blocking shots, pressuring puck carrier.

Increase crowd volume in playoffs.

Increase the price of Deking and Handeye.

Playmakers, snipers, and OFD need a little more balance.

Decrease price of strength. Make it less effective with checking power.

Make forwards grading system harsher. If they are cherry picking, no way should they get a B in team play just for getting points.

In trading, give Vets more value.

Prospects who havent stepped on NHL ice should not have higher value than some one who has played at the NHL level.

Season trade frequencies could be toned down. Trade deadline seems about right. More varity among seasons, one has more trades one has less etc. After a few seasons it gets less and less.

Need way more draft pick swapping on draft day.

Before you start a Be A GM, have a manual salary cap adjustment. Maybe I would like 34 million to be the max limit. Would make things more challenging.

Be able to give out AHL contracts, be able to view them.

Last edited by straka91*: 05-17-2011 at 03:13 AM.
straka91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 03:47 AM
agentblack

From what I read about the presentation they are planning to implement in Madden 12, as far as accurate broadcasts camera views for each team and a more TV style presentation. I have been waiting for something like this for the NHL games since they moved over to the next gen consoles. I think most gamers feel like it would mess with the controls but Ive played side view plenty of times it takes some adjustment but is relatively the same. I guess i'm in the minority when it comes to this presentation feature (which is still very surprising to me since most of us view about 80-90% of NHL/other hockey league games on TV.) I think adding this accuracy would go along way to the realism/fun that EA wants in the game. It just seems that year after year we get NHL 94 with nicer graphics. Not to mention that pretty much every other sporting game on the market pays very close attention to matching how the game looks and plays on a TV broadcast to how the user sees and plays the game.
Recently I was walking around the east village in NY and some MLB store opened up and they had a signing and some game booths set up outside displaying some MLB video game (not sure which one, obviously the newest version) and it looked amazing! and at a quick glance you would think it was a televised game, hell even I wanted to give a go but then I realized I cant stand baseball and kept walking lol

Also and while this is entirely unlikely to get in the game, some more violence, id love more brawls and scrums and some garish injuries. ha! Maybe even have a feature where some guy takes a cheap shot at one of your players knocks him. The player will get penalized or even tossed out and there could be an option to send a message to the NHL VP to have the player suspended (could be fun during playoff games with another player)

I think someone else mentioned it but custom leagues in Be-a-GM mode would be fun. I think this was a feature in NHL 99 or 00 and you could subtract 2 or 4 teams, even re-name/recreate divisions put teams where you want. The "orphaned" players can be put into some kind of draft or just in free agency, but I think the draft would be more fun.

Being able to edit or create players during the GM mode would be nice and perhaps there could be an option to either let the CPU makes trades with/without your approval. Either before you start your GM mode or during; you check a box that basically alerts you that the CPU controlled teams are making a trade and you can either let it go or veto it.

A player search!! in all modes, many times ive tried to look for so and so and cant find them. It should be easily accessible like the spotlight search on a MAC or google search in your browser window.

agentblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 04:09 AM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
And please, ffs, when offseason comes, dont lock up the line changes and everything.

It sucks that i can't see my lineup, like whos out and In ..so i dont sign 2 RW when i needed 2 LW's ..

Seriously, this drives me crazy. I see no reason for it, why shouldn't I be able to look at my lines when I'm deciding what offseason moves to make, it's totally illogical.

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 11:39 AM
Injury Prone Stastny
Can't Trade Me!

Oh, and to add to my list, when I change my last name to Duchene, there is no play by play name for it..

(Although I was trying to make the name Crosby is a, Duchene)

Injury Prone Stastny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hey Irish I hope I'm not late but something has to be done about the green and red color of the C and LW. For colorblind people like me, it's almost indistinguishable. I almost always play RW (blue) because I can't make out which player I am if I play C or LW... It shouldn't be too hard to fix that.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote