HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

WC becoming more important in North America?

View Poll Results: What Under Dog Team is Most Likely to Medal First?
Germany 38 32.20%
Switzerland 58 49.15%
Belarus 4 3.39%
Norway 15 12.71%
Other 3 2.54%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-10-2011, 10:25 AM
NHLMattReed

vCash: 500
WC becoming more important in North America?

It’s been referred to as the garbage bowl, the runners-up cup, and many more uncanny names, but the World Championship of Hockey (WHC) is starting to show more significance in the sport of hockey.

Read More @ http://hockeyindependent.com/blog/mattreed/34715/

NHLMattReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 10:39 AM
svartgul
Hata Löven

Send a message via ICQ to svartgul Send a message via MSN to svartgul Send a message via Skype™ to svartgul
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLMattReed View Post
It’s been referred to as the garbage bowl, the runners-up cup, and many more uncanny names, but the World Championship of Hockey (WHC) is starting to show more significance in the sport of hockey.

In Canada you mean. I don't think Germans or the Swiss have been calling it Garbage bowl.

svartgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 10:44 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLMattReed View Post

It's been called that in North America because the Canadians and Americans haven't been doing too well lately.

They jump on any bandwagon when they are good at something.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 10:45 AM
Dosing

Ofcourse when your team wins

Dosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 10:51 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
It's been called that in North America because the Canadians and Americans haven't been doing too well lately.

Well, you can't really judge the WC's as a true best on best tournament-can you? I'm not going to sit here and call it garbage, but with most of the top players in the NHL playoffs or begging off due to a long NHL season, it's not exactly the most arresting tournament. I say that fully recognizing that the U.S. is a complete non-factor in the tournament.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 10:56 AM
xerox
Hockey pimp

But why does every tournament have to be the worlds übermegatopbest competition ever anyway? Why can't this tournament just be as it is?

I think it is fun. I don't care who wins or anything. But it is still fun I think.

xerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 10:56 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Well, you can't really judge the WC's as a true best on best tournament-can you? I'm not going to sit here and call it garbage, but with most of the top players in the NHL playoffs or begging off due to a long NHL season, it's not exactly the most arresting tournament. I say that fully recognizing that the U.S. is a complete non-factor in the tournament.
Except every other team has the same advantages and disadvantages as the Americans and Canadians do.

There are very good Czech and Slovak players still playing with Boston (Chara, Krejci, Kaberle, Lucic).

Detroit has many great Swedish players and a great Russian still playing.

Sweden, Slovakia, Russia, Czech Republic, Finland don't use that as an excuse.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:02 AM
RusskiyHockey

Sure some top players are still in the NHL playoffs, but overall the WC rosters are pretty good and are not short on stars, especially CAN, RUS, CZE and SVK. The WC is also very important to the development of Olympic teams. Countries get to test potential Olympians. Look at Canada's rosters this year - a very good portion of those guys can expect to be selected to go to Sochi. I have no problem with players over 30 declining to participate at the WC. I see it always as a great bonus that players like Jagr are still so involved with their national team.

RusskiyHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:05 AM
Ogopogo*

No. I only pay attention to see how the Oilers young guys are developing. I don't care who wins - when many of the best players are still in the Stanley Cup playoffs, this becomes the AHL of international tournaments.

Last edited by Ogopogo*: 05-11-2011 at 05:22 AM.
Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:21 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Except every other team has the same advantages and disadvantages as the Americans and Canadians do.

There are very good Czech and Slovak players still playing with Boston (Chara, Krejci, Kaberle, Lucic).

Fair enough. Its clear this tournament is barely on the radar of American NHLers, so perhaps it's just our problem.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:26 AM
BobDobolina

It's good entertainment, I'll watch a game between Norway and Switzerland over the Vancouver-Nashville series any day of the week.

BobDobolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:33 AM
wej20

Quote:

The NA NHLers are more likely to turn down invites compared to the Euro NHLers which is something to consider.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:39 AM
Dosing

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
The NA NHLers are more likely to turn down invites compared to the Euro NHLers which is something to consider.
Not anymore their not

Dosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 12:01 PM
Warm Cookies
Re-sign Kunitz

Quote:

Except that Canada didn't really care when the team won consecutive championships in the '00s either.

The bottom line is that NA players and fans grow up dreaming about the Stanley Cup, and the WC is an afterthought because it takes place at the same time.

Warm Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 12:02 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:

No, it's called that in North America because the Stanley Cup playoffs are more important (and entertaining).

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 12:06 PM
cheerupmurray

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Sadly this isn't really true anymore. I can't even count how many no's Team Sweden has received the last couple of years and I am fairly good at counting. The situation seems a bit better for the Czechs, slightly better for the finns and much much better for the russians and slovaks.

Canada have sick depth so they can always send a good roster, nice to see a lot of the rising stars in this years team. Team USA seems to have the hardest time getting anyone to go at all. Next year even the collage kids will turn it down to look cool and they will ice a team with skating knife-fighting monkies.

I want to see best-on-best tournaments but lacking that WC at it's current form is pretty fun anyway.

cheerupmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

It's the third best competition in hockey after the Olympics and Stanley Cup playoffs.

If you like hockey, what's not to like?

Pentothal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 5700
I understand that the WC's don't use Olympic rosters, but there's still a lot of great players competing year in and year out. It is compelling to watch. If nothing else it is solid bonus hockey during the SC playoffs, and a decent tournament between the awesomeness that are the Olympics.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 12:10 PM
eli J
Claw Machine broke

Send a message via AIM to eli J
Is any of it really "important"? Outside of the people who make their living from the sports industry, the only argument for any tournament or league importance is pride.

And I think the Swiss have the best chance at a medal from that list. Really developing as a hockey country. They'll probably ride a hot goalie to the podium before anyone else on that list.

eli J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 12:11 PM
Zine

I'd say it's on par with the World Cup. I like it. It's good hockey

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 12:12 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentothal View Post
It's the third best competition in hockey after the Olympics and Stanley Cup playoffs.

If you like hockey, what's not to like?
I'll echo this. It's behind the Stanley Cup Finals by a lot, but ahead of most everything else (I'm more into the AHL playoffs, but only because the B-Sens are in it).

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 12:14 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

It matters but I'm not sure how much. It certainly can't really claim to be a tournament to find the best team in the world, which is kinda the point of a World Championship.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 12:14 PM
slovakiasnextone

I don´t see how it can be far behind the SC play-offs....especially with the salary cap in place.....I´d definitely take almost any IHWC game over last year´s Montreal- Philadelphia series, my eyes still hurt from that....

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 12:22 PM
BobDobolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
No, it's called that in North America because the Stanley Cup playoffs are more important (and entertaining).
Each to their own but I find the WC playoffs on average more entertaining that the average NHL playoff game. The first round is amazing but the quality of play tends to drop off from that, understandably. The Vancouver-Nashville series was some of most boring hockey in recent memory and the first two games of the SCF last year wasn't great hockey at all. Nothing beats a good NHL playoff game, not even the Olympics but the WC has some awesome entertainment and hockey as well.

BobDobolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 12:23 PM
MrJonas
Ekblades of Steel

I like it because of how laid back it is. Few teams have all their best players, but on the other hand that usually leaves place for youngsters and other players that might be hungrier than some of the superstars. If you lose it isn't the end of the world (compared to the Olympics), and if you win it's still fun.

MrJonas is offline   Reply With Quote