HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Quarterfinal Pre-Game Talk | FIN-NOR | RUS-CAN

View Poll Results: Who wins the Gold?
Canada 30 27.03%
Czech Republic 23 20.72%
Finland 22 19.82%
Germany 3 2.70%
Norway 10 9.01%
Russia 9 8.11%
Sweden 11 9.91%
United States 3 2.70%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2011, 08:52 AM
Juzmo
EarthlingsCowspiracy

vCash: 690
Predictions:

CZE-USA 3-0
GER-SWE 2-3
FIN-NOR 4-2
RUS-CAN 3-5

After that Czechs and Canada will be going to the finals and Finland will be playing with Sweden for the bronze. All four games after the quarterfinals will be tight.

A suprise would be great (not for you Norway!), but I doubt one will happen.

Last edited by Juzmo: 05-11-2011 at 07:14 AM.
Old
05-10-2011, 08:56 AM
livewell68

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by o0Leaf fan0o View Post
Canada will win despite having such a young and inexperienced team.
They have a good team but I think the Czechs will beat them.

Remember 2005? Jagr with a broken finger help beat them 3-0.

Old
05-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0Leaf fan0o View Post
Germany over Sweden would be a huge upset; and frankly, I would rather see Sweden advance. The anti-hockey Germany is playing hurts my eyes.
WTF?

Germany plays offensiv while being not open on the back end all the time. They outshot the Czechs with 20 shots. (Czechs are way better than Germany).

Old
05-10-2011, 09:21 AM
Wolfy*

Keep in mind the Germans are always very polite

Speaking of goalie Haugen, I'm sure he can easily handle 40-50 shots, specially from a team that don't score much. And when he has the best defender in the tournament to help him, and another very gritty one. Those Finnish shots don't sound to dangerous to me

Old
05-10-2011, 09:23 AM
IceBjoern

QF

Czech Republic - USA 2-1
The Czech's have played well so far and will continue to do so in this game as well. USA will put up a fight; but they lack the offensive power they need to beat the Czech's.

Sweden - Germany 4-2
No upset here. The German's will come out flying, but the more experienced team will weather the storm and end up winning.

Finland - Norway 5-2
Same as above. Finland might find themselves down early in the game. But they'll find a way to fight back and win comfertably.

Canada - Russia 3-1
Russia won't take "no" for an answer. I expect them to play a tough game and I can't really see Canada, with their young players, beat this russian team on big ice.

SF
Czech Republic - Sweden 4-1
Nightmare for the Czech's. Played well all tournament only to have one of those games... Vs. the swedes, as usual.

Finland - Russia 5-1
Ovechkin, Kovalchuk wakes up putting Finland to sleep.

BMG
Czech Rebublic - Finland 3-1
They want that bronze more.

GMG
Sweden - Russia 7-2
What do you mean, "homer"? Russia will play their worst game in the tournament and Sweden their best.

Old
05-10-2011, 09:31 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBjoern View Post
QF

Czech Republic - USA 2-1
The Czech's have played well so far and will continue to do so in this game as well. USA will put up a fight; but they lack the offensive power they need to beat the Czech's.

Sweden - Germany 4-2
No upset here. The German's will come out flying, but the more experienced team will weather the storm and end up winning.

Finland - Norway 5-2
Same as above. Finland might find themselves down early in the game. But they'll find a way to fight back and win comfertably.

Canada - Russia 3-1
Russia won't take "no" for an answer. I expect them to play a tough game and I can't really see Canada, with their young players, beat this russian team on big ice.

SF
Czech Republic - Sweden 4-1
Nightmare for the Czech's. Played well all tournament only to have one of those games... Vs. the swedes, as usual.

Finland - Russia 5-1
Ovechkin, Kovalchuk wakes up putting Finland to sleep.

BMG
Czech Rebublic - Finland 3-1
They want that bronze more.

GMG
Sweden - Russia 7-2
What do you mean, "homer"? Russia will play their worst game in the tournament and Sweden their best.
Funny to see the "homer" picks.

It will be Czech vs Canada in the Final and I think Czechs will take it in overtime.

Old
05-10-2011, 09:48 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Speaking of goalie Haugen, I'm sure he can easily handle 40-50 shots, specially from a team that don't score much. And when he has the best defender in the tournament to help him, and another very gritty one.
Norway has D-men that are capable of playing 60 minutes a game then? If that's true, might as well give up now. We can't beat those asgĺrdian supermen who've probably prepared by battling great bears in the fjords. In the nude.

That kind of optimism is cute and one is entitled to it (and yes, Norway certainly CAN win that game), but saying you have one or two good players isn't much of an argument, considering the opponent has at least three who are on par with your best guy. And another three who are as good as the second best.

Last edited by FiLe: 05-10-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old
05-10-2011, 10:01 AM
Rogalo

Havlat Injury Update

Hello everyone,

thought I should share this piece of information with you - according to the medical staff of the CZE team, Havlat´s left shoulder (not the right one he had operations on) was not dislocated in the game against GER - it is just badly bruised. His chances of playing yesterday were 50/50. Today they increased to 80/20...That means the second offensive line - Havlát, Eliáš, M. Michálek - will most probably be back together for the USA clash...because Michalek is luckily normally training after the cheapshot from Artyukhin. Wohooo

Source: http://hokej.idnes.cz/havlatuv-stav-...hokej-2011_cig

Old
05-10-2011, 10:21 AM
QnebO

Oh and the predictions:

Finland - Norway 5-2
Sweden - Germany 6-3
Chzech - USA 4-3(ot/so)
Canada - Russia 4-1

"Insurance-games" start. I allways put my money for the one who plays against Finland.

That will
a) Raise the changes of Finland wins, because i usually lose on money betting
b) If Finland wins Im still happy even if i lose like ten bucks
c) If Finland loses im atleast getting couple of beers with the winnings

Old
05-10-2011, 10:38 AM
SirKillalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic Pride View Post
I think hockey is the only sport where I actually root for Norway. Can't stand their success in ski sports but when it comes to hockey I actually want them to do well. I must be sick...

Doubt that you can upset Finland though, but like someone else said. This must be the best (only?) oppurtunity so far to actually be able to play for medals.
Welcome to our world. That's what we feel about the swedish national hockey team.

Finland - Norway

Interesting. I guess this is where stamina and routine might set in. My bet is that Finland wins this because they will be somewhat sharpened and Norway is most likely going to be tired(because of a lot of players playing heavy minutes, and not used to play at the level on a long period of time). 4-1 it will be.

It's going to evolve from the middle of the second and in. If Norway is tired then. Huge trouble. If they are up or draw, then it might be exciting.

Old
05-10-2011, 10:46 AM
TollefsenFan

CZ - USA will be 9-1 Children dnt beat men in hockey. Easy win for the CZ

Swe - Ger 2- 5 Mats wennerholm thinks Germany is easy. Then Sweden loose. If Mats Wennerholm says the world wont go under in 2012, then u can bet it does. He is always making a fool out of himself.

Fin - Nor 2-5 Norways new player John Carew enters the ice. The big center scores 3 goals

Can - Rus 5-3 The big red machine isnt what it used to be. The leafs win

Old
05-10-2011, 10:46 AM
SirKillalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TollefsenFan View Post
Lets me have a look at our roster:
Forsberg CHECKED
Koivu CHECKED

Ho-ho, going to see some heavy stick-handling here. Wait...what? So we are actually supposed to touch the puck too?

Old
05-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Tw149

5-1 for the Finns. A late complimentary goal for Norway.

2-0 for the Swedes. They always kill the play. Extremely boring match to watch.

3-2 Czech just edge out USA.

3-2 OT win for Canada against Russia.

In the end Czech take the cake.

Old
05-10-2011, 11:05 AM
Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhs View Post
I dont know what is wrong with you fins. Is there some latent rage against us norwegians? Have we wronged you or something? We cant even be optimistic, or hope for a win against your nhl stars, and players with tons of international experience?

Norway is a underdog, and that makes it so much more fun to watch how the team has been fighting their way to the quarter finals.
I really don't understand where complaints like this one come from. Pretty much every Finn has said that Norway has played a good tournament, that they are capable of getting an upset and that there is nothing wrong with being optimistic, but that overall Finland is easily the favorite and should advance if everything goes normal.

All of that is completely right and there hasn't been any sort of "rage" against anyone. If anything, it's all the other people who attacked the Finns for no reason at all.

Old
05-10-2011, 11:13 AM
Mestaruus

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
I hope our 8 defender tactic starts to pay when we are now aproaching to the end of this tournament.
I'm not so sure how fresh our defender Jaakola will be...

Old
05-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Hockeysemin

Norway for the win

Old
05-10-2011, 11:34 AM
NyQuil
Neon NyQuil

Canada has been lacking chemistry and intensity.

Hopefully they were just playing possum.

They're going to have to bring it against Russia because the Russians always like to beat the Canadians.

Our goaltending has been spotty and our defence has been inconsistent.

Not always a good recipe against a team with the potential for goalscoring.

On the other hand, Canada does have depth this year. If all four lines can bring the same effort level, you could see contributions from everyone.

I'd like to see Hitchcock roll the lines to keep the forechecking intensity up and prevent the Russians from playing a puck possession game, but knowing Hitch, he'll likely overplay his vets.

Old
05-10-2011, 11:41 AM
TollefsenFan

Yeps ur lucky Sweden

http://www.iihf.com/channels-11/iihf...r-ranking.html

Old
05-10-2011, 11:58 AM
QnebO

So where are all germany fans? Swedes are having too good time in this topic, tell em' whos going to win!

Old
05-10-2011, 12:04 PM
mehanik

As a Russian,I'm dissapointed in this "team" =/ I want to see them win, but I can't see this happening...
Go Russia!

Old
05-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Scandale du Jour
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 2066
Reading all those people saying that Russia will beat Canada reminds me of the Vancouver games. "Russia has much better firepower, Canada won't match their firepower, Russia is the favorite." Just like in Vancouver, I'm not afraid of Russia.

If Bernier is in net, we will take quick care of them. They have great players, but they are a ****** team.

Old
05-10-2011, 01:03 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
So where are all germany fans? Swedes are having too good time in this topic, tell em' whos going to win!
why should we tell them what they already know

Old
05-10-2011, 01:07 PM
begbeee

I think there will be at least one upset - by Norway or by Germany. All the best. World need more hockey countries.

Old
05-10-2011, 01:39 PM
SirKillalot

If Norway manage to do the incredible and win the quarter final, norwegian forward Peter Lorentzen is going to miss his own bachelor-party.

http://www.nettavisen.no/sport/vinte...cle3147823.ece

Quote:
Do you have a plan B for it?

- I only know that they have sat a date for it. I really don't have much control over it. I'm down here now, but have heard that there is now uncertainty about it. If we go through, then it's a given that it's off.

Lorentzen friend:

He admits, that it will be a win with somewhat bitter taste if Norway beats Finland.

- My opinon, is that the party is going to be great, so it's going to be "bitter-sweet" if they go through, he says while laughing.

Old
05-10-2011, 01:41 PM
Caz
Hedonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiddletown View Post
I have lived in France where there's cheap access to different Belgian beer, I loved them and I think it's the best beer country in the world. But when you say what you say, I'm pretty sure you've never had Aass or Frydenlund. They are, honest-to-Ilmatar, top top notch beer.
OK, thanks for the tip. I'll be in Oslo in a couple of weeks, so I'll give them a try

Closed Thread