HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Quarterfinal Pre-Game Talk | FIN-NOR | RUS-CAN

View Poll Results: Who wins the Gold?
Canada 30 27.03%
Czech Republic 23 20.72%
Finland 22 19.82%
Germany 3 2.70%
Norway 10 9.01%
Russia 9 8.11%
Sweden 11 9.91%
United States 3 2.70%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-10-2011, 01:47 PM
  #201
Caz
Hedonist
 
Caz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Well that's what I mean, if Latvia can take the Finns to a shootout then Norway can certainly do it too...and even win
Hockey is such serious business in Finland, that if Norway won us in a shootout on Thursday (Thor's Day, is it an Omen?), at 00:00 on Friday there would probably be a shootout with reindeer manure in Kautokeino. At 00:12 we would have occupied Finnmark and push on for Mo I Rana, sink all the fishing boats, eat their women and r a p e all their cod on the way. After that we'd ski southwards (you know Finns have good injections for faster skiing) and by 04:08 the only rink in Oslo would burn. And the only sound you'd here is the phrase "Perkele, nyt mennššn saunaan (Let's go to sauna now)" after it's done.


Last edited by Caz: 05-10-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Caz is offline  
Old
05-10-2011, 01:56 PM
  #202
Blank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 330
vCash: 500
I wouldn't be too confident in facing Norway.. The Norwegians have a great goalie and a pretty dangerous PP. So it could go like the Latvia game, except Norway is waayy ahead of Latvia on all other areas.

Blank is offline  
Old
05-10-2011, 02:11 PM
  #203
SirKillalot
Registered User
 
SirKillalot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 4,759
vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
Hockey is such serious business in Finland, that if Norway won us in a shootout on Thursday (Thor's Day, is it an Omen?), at 00:00 on Friday there would probably be a shootout with reindeer manure in Kautokeino. At 00:12 we would have occupied Finnmark and push on for Mo I Rana, sink all the fishing boats, eat their women and r a p e all their cod on the way. After that we'd ski southwards (you know Finns have good injections for faster skiing) and by 04:08 the only rink in Oslo would burn. And the only sound you'd here is the phrase "Perkele, nyt mennššn saunaan (Let's go to sauna now)" after it's done.
But first, they will take EPO
(Note. only ski-fans will get this one)

And after a sauna
(Intern joke, after some nude old finnish men, tried to get some norwegian city residents to join their sauna-camping trailer).

SirKillalot is offline  
Old
05-10-2011, 02:21 PM
  #204
llwyd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 514
vCash: 500
I must say that unlike some silly flaming and trolling here (though not very bad by regular net "standards") surely my and some other Finnish posters' comments were very evidently just good humoured teasing of Norwegians (lutefisk, BjŲrgen, seiern er vŚr etc. etc.) while carefully explaining that no Finn can imaginably have anything against the Norwegian hockey team (cross country skiing though is something else again...)

But I guess any surely non-offensive bantering between Norwegians and Finns is now also off-limits? This is one strict forum!

llwyd is offline  
Old
05-10-2011, 02:22 PM
  #205
Other Little Mikey
Registered User
 
Other Little Mikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogalo View Post
Hello everyone,

thought I should share this piece of information with you - according to the medical staff of the CZE team, Havlatīs left shoulder (not the right one he had operations on) was not dislocated in the game against GER - it is just badly bruised. His chances of playing yesterday were 50/50. Today they increased to 80/20...That means the second offensive line - HavlŠt, EliŠö, M. MichŠlek - will most probably be back together for the USA clash...because Michalek is luckily normally training after the cheapshot from Artyukhin. Wohooo

Source: http://hokej.idnes.cz/havlatuv-stav-...hokej-2011_cig
Any updates on Prucha? That was a nasty looking welt.

Other Little Mikey is offline  
Old
05-10-2011, 02:35 PM
  #206
Caz
Hedonist
 
Caz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKillalot View Post
But first, they will take EPO
(Note. only ski-fans will get this one)

And after a sauna
(Intern joke, after some nude old finnish men, tried to get some norwegian city residents to join their sauna-camping trailer).
Yupp for the EPO (I tried to give a hint with the "injections") but about your sauna thing dream you're mixing us with the other neighbor (for Norwegians: that's the neigbor on the other side as the hand you hold your weenie with, or the landmass opposite to the ocean)

And as a hint to the Team NOR for Thor's Day evening, the hotel probably has a sauna. Please ask the reception.

Caz is offline  
Old
05-10-2011, 02:39 PM
  #207
Rexor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brno
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Little Mikey View Post
Any updates on Prucha? That was a nasty looking welt.
He's OK. He says it feels like tonsillitis - difficulty swallowing and hoarse voice but he'll be ready tomorrow.

Rexor is offline  
Old
05-10-2011, 02:40 PM
  #208
PeacEnforcer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 63
vCash: 500
To: illone84

Wow! What a colossal effort to disprove the undisprovable, namely that:

1) this particular Finnish team is AVERAGE at best boasting only one potentially star player in Granlund,

2) Surely man proposes, God disposes, but divine intervention aside, itís less than unlikely that such a lackluster hard-working star-less Finnish team (granted u have handled the norgs first, of course) can beat this flamboyant, star-studded Russian squad, coming off a victory over Canada, and therefore all fired up, clicking and brimming with confidence, TWICE IN A ROW during the same event.

3) It is even less likely, should Russia lose to Canada, that the Finns can beat the Canadians, Ďcause it normally happens once in a century

4) on top of that, in the potential bronze medal game (assuming u took care of the Norwegians) u will have to face either Czechs (canít see them losing to the US) who look brilliant at these worlds or Sweden (another side u have abysmal record against), which effectively means only one thing: no medal for Finland this year. Sorry, mate, but u cannot choose the truth Ė all u can do is just accept it.

5) and finally, victories, even in one-off games, must, IDEALLY, be attributed to skills, mastery, and finesse, rather than grit, hard work or luck. Thatís the way the Soviet Red Machine used to play and thatís the way it should be, at least the way I see it, 'cause for me hockey, when played by the best at their best, is a form of art rather than an ugly exercise in grit, hitting, shoving, pushing, bodychecking, and fistfighting.

Ps: The only point I concede is that at times I do sound somewhat arrogant with respect to the Finns, but not without reason: It all started yesterday during the post-game discussion of the showdown between our two nations, in which many Finnish commentators displayed extraordinary inadequacy and lack of reason and substance in evaluating the outcome in general and Russiaís performance in particular. It riled me up Ďcause every time I find it hard to put up with unsubstantiated opinions passed off as final judgment.

Pps: Nope, I have the pleasure of living in Moscow...

PeacEnforcer is offline  
Old
05-10-2011, 02:42 PM
  #209
Caz
Hedonist
 
Caz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogalo View Post
Hello everyone,

thought I should share this piece of information with you - according to the medical staff of the CZE team, Havlatīs left shoulder (not the right one he had operations on) was not dislocated in the game against GER - it is just badly bruised. His chances of playing yesterday were 50/50. Today they increased to 80/20...That means the second offensive line - HavlŠt, EliŠö, M. MichŠlek - will most probably be back together for the USA clash...because Michalek is luckily normally training after the cheapshot from Artyukhin. Wohooo

Source: http://hokej.idnes.cz/havlatuv-stav-...hokej-2011_cig
Good news for team CZE (and hockey of course)
Not so good news for the opponents still to meet CZE.

Caz is offline  
Old
05-10-2011, 02:51 PM
  #210
Brun0
Registered User
 
Brun0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKillalot View Post
But first, they will take EPO
(Note. only ski-fans will get this one)

And after a sauna
(Intern joke, after some nude old finnish men, tried to get some norwegian city residents to join their sauna-camping trailer).
ahha we have the exact opposite jokes about norwegians, BjŲrken and her "astma"

Just thought of this good song.


Last edited by Brun0: 05-10-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Brun0 is offline  
Old
05-10-2011, 02:51 PM
  #211
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey
 
Hellion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 4,936
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
Hockey is such serious business in Finland, that if Norway won us in a shootout on Thursday (Thor's Day, is it an Omen?), at 00:00 on Friday there would probably be a shootout with reindeer manure in Kautokeino. At 00:12 we would have occupied Finnmark and push on for Mo I Rana, sink all the fishing boats, eat their women and r a p e all their cod on the way. After that we'd ski southwards (you know Finns have good injections for faster skiing) and by 04:08 the only rink in Oslo would burn. And the only sound you'd here is the phrase "Perkele, nyt mennššn saunaan (Let's go to sauna now)" after it's done.
Hahaha, good one man!

Hellion is offline  
Old
05-10-2011, 03:03 PM
  #212
MaNNe
Registered User
 
MaNNe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeacEnforcer View Post
To: illone84

Wow! What a colossal effort to disprove the undisprovable, namely that:

1) this particular Finnish team is AVERAGE at best boasting only one potentially star player in Granlund,

2) Surely man proposes, God disposes, but divine intervention aside, itís less than unlikely that such a lackluster hard-working star-less Finnish team (granted u have handled the norgs first, of course) can beat this flamboyant, star-studded Russian squad, coming off a victory over Canada, and therefore all fired up, clicking and brimming with confidence, TWICE IN A ROW during the same event.

3) It is even less likely, should Russia lose to Canada, that the Finns can beat the Canadians, Ďcause it normally happens once in a century

4) on top of that, in the potential bronze medal game (assuming u took care of the Norwegians) u will have to face either Czechs (canít see them losing to the US) who look brilliant at these worlds or Sweden (another side u have abysmal record against), which effectively means only one thing: no medal for Finland this year. Sorry, mate, but u cannot choose the truth Ė all u can do is just accept it.

5) and finally, victories, even in one-off games, must, IDEALLY, be attributed to skills, mastery, and finesse, rather than grit, hard work or luck. Thatís the way the Soviet Red Machine used to play and thatís the way it should be, at least the way I see it, 'cause for me hockey, when played by the best at their best, is a form of art rather than an ugly exercise in grit, hitting, shoving, pushing, bodychecking, and fistfighting.

Ps: The only point I concede is that at times I do sound somewhat arrogant with respect to the Finns, but not without reason: It all started yesterday during the post-game discussion of the showdown between our two nations, in which many Finnish commentators displayed extraordinary inadequacy and lack of reason and substance in evaluating the outcome in general and Russiaís performance in particular. It riled me up Ďcause every time I find it hard to put up with unsubstantiated opinions passed off as final judgment.

Pps: Nope, I have the pleasure of living in Moscow...
Must .... Not .... Feed .... The .... Troll ..... Again....

P.S Thank you for giving me a nice smile on my face after reading that one.

MaNNe is offline  
Old
05-10-2011, 03:08 PM
  #213
LiveeviL
No unique points
 
LiveeviL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Jšmtland, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,375
vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
As a homer I went with Sweden, but without reinforcement from Detroit I see it as Canada's to lose (to Russia most likely, they are strong now).

LiveeviL is offline  
Old
05-10-2011, 03:15 PM
  #214
crabcz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Prague
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 467
vCash: 50
CZE-USA 5-1
RUS-CAN 2-5
GER-SWE 1-2 (SO)
FIN-NOR 0-6




crabcz is offline  
Old
05-10-2011, 03:16 PM
  #215
illone84
Registered User
 
illone84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Naucalpan De Juarez
Country: Mexico
Posts: 479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeacEnforcer View Post
To: illone84

Wow! What a colossal effort to disprove the undisprovable, namely that:

1) this particular Finnish team is AVERAGE at best boasting only one potentially star player in Granlund,

2) Surely man proposes, God disposes, but divine intervention aside, it’s less than unlikely that such a lackluster hard-working star-less Finnish team (granted u have handled the norgs first, of course) can beat this flamboyant, star-studded Russian squad, coming off a victory over Canada, and therefore all fired up, clicking and brimming with confidence, TWICE IN A ROW during the same event.

3) It is even less likely, should Russia lose to Canada, that the Finns can beat the Canadians, ‘cause it normally happens once in a century

4) on top of that, in the potential bronze medal game (assuming u took care of the Norwegians) u will have to face either Czechs (can’t see them losing to the US) who look brilliant at these worlds or Sweden (another side u have abysmal record against), which effectively means only one thing: no medal for Finland this year. Sorry, mate, but u cannot choose the truth – all u can do is just accept it.

5) and finally, victories, even in one-off games, must, IDEALLY, be attributed to skills, mastery, and finesse, rather than grit, hard work or luck. That’s the way the Soviet Red Machine used to play and that’s the way it should be, at least the way I see it, 'cause for me hockey, when played by the best at their best, is a form of art rather than an ugly exercise in grit, hitting, shoving, pushing, bodychecking, and fistfighting.

Ps: The only point I concede is that at times I do sound somewhat arrogant with respect to the Finns, but not without reason: It all started yesterday during the post-game discussion of the showdown between our two nations, in which many Finnish commentators displayed extraordinary inadequacy and lack of reason and substance in evaluating the outcome in general and Russia’s performance in particular. It riled me up ‘cause every time I find it hard to put up with unsubstantiated opinions passed off as final judgment.

Pps: Nope, I have the pleasure of living in Moscow...



Thank you for responding.

However, to counter your argument's.

1) Yes, I agree this Finnish team is AVERAGE at best, however, when does Finland not have an average team at the WC?

Finland usually has a problem of bringing their best players and most recently our lovely coach Jalonen makes absent minded decisions.

This year for example, due to contract negotiations, playoffs or injury:

Lauri Korpikoski-
Niklas Hagman
Ville Leino
Kimmo Timonen
Toni Lydman
Jussi Jokinen
Joni Pitkanen
N. Backstrom


Playing as a TEAM will overcome flamboyant talent.
Just take a look back at the qf in Vancouver, Russia vs Canada, or the semi final WC in 2007, Fin vs Rus, or the semi final in Turino, Fin vs Rus.

Or how about yesterday? Fin vs Rus?

The CZE'S had less than an AVERAGE team last year and beat a Russian squad that was emulated to be the same SUPERSTAR roster that failed in the Olympics. 7-3, quite a victorious result........... for the CANADIANS

Yes and Mikko Koivu is just an average player too right?


2) Including Finns or not, Can you honestly tell me that this statement is not cocky?

"Finns cannot beat this flamboyant, star-studded Russian squad, coming off a victory over Canada, and therefore all fired up, clicking and brimming with confidence, TWICE IN A ROW during the same event."


3) Yes, I would rather play Russia any day over Canada. Like you said the Finns beating the Canadians in the playoffs occurs very seldom.

That being said, YES the Finns CAN beat the Russians in these situations. E.G Moscow 2007 (you live there so you'll never forget about it

2006 Torino


flamboyant, star-studded Russian squad


You mean the great Defense and goal tending that the team is built on ?


3) Finland can beat any country in the bronze game. As previously mentioned, Finland has beaten Canada in the olympics 1998, and in
the WC:

St Petersburg in 2000 against Canada,
2006 in Latvia against Canada (6-0),
and has beaten Sweden most recently in 2008.

Not to mention, we all know what happened in Vancouver against Slovakia.


Sorry, mate, but u cannot choose the truth – all u can do is just accept it.


This reminds me to let you know that you have beat Canada! That is not guaranteed! Nor is playing against Fin/Norway in the semi-final!

Just like the upsetting semi-final loss in Moscow, 2007!
ALL YOU CAN DO IS ACCEPT THE TRUTH!

5) You already know who invented the sport, and in Canada the game is played as a hard hitting, gritty, in your face type game.

The Soviet Union had the pleasure to play against non-NHL'ers

illone84 is offline  
Old
05-10-2011, 03:21 PM
  #216
BottaFan
Registered User
 
BottaFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: oslo
Country: Norway
Posts: 58
vCash: 500
Nor-fin 3-2
Cze-usa 2-0
Ger-swe 0-4
Rus-can 3-4 Ot

BottaFan is offline  
Old
05-10-2011, 03:21 PM
  #217
Brun0
Registered User
 
Brun0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 789
vCash: 500

Brun0 is offline  
Old
05-10-2011, 03:30 PM
  #218
TheMuumio
Registered User
 
TheMuumio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaNNe View Post
Must .... Not .... Feed .... The .... Troll ..... Again....

P.S Thank you for giving me a nice smile on my face after reading that one.
Sounds awfully similiar to certain Peter25 (or whatever) aka The Original Jags of Jatkoaika.
I'm not blaming anyone, but it just seems fishy.

TheMuumio is offline  
Old
05-10-2011, 03:35 PM
  #219
TollefsenFan
Registered User
 
TollefsenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: K-town
Country: Norway
Posts: 2,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabcz View Post
CZE-USA 5-1
RUS-CAN 2-5
GER-SWE 1-2 (SO)
FIN-NOR 0-6



RIP Finland ....

TollefsenFan is offline  
Old
05-10-2011, 04:05 PM
  #220
kmart
Registered User
 
kmart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,272
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to kmart
my bets

CZE-USA 4-1
RUS-CAN 2-6
GER-SWE 0-2
FIN-NOR 0-1

kmart is offline  
Old
05-10-2011, 04:11 PM
  #221
QnebO
Registered User
 
QnebO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 4,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKillalot View Post
But first, they will take EPO
EPO-card. Thats unsportsmanlike

Again it looks like we are underdogs for this game as all these people cannot be wrong, and its really good for our team!

How is the betting in norway for this game, i bet Finland has huge multiplier? Maybe i should bet at some norway's betcompany for the upset!


Last edited by QnebO: 05-10-2011 at 04:17 PM.
QnebO is offline  
Old
05-10-2011, 04:14 PM
  #222
PeacEnforcer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 63
vCash: 500
Look, mate, Iím not playing Cassandra here, Iím just giving my views supporting them with some well-known facts and obvious truths, but I donít go as far as to say point blank that Finland CANNOT beat Russia, Canada or Sweden. Iím just talking the odds here and explaining why I think what I think - nothing more, nothing less. As a matter of fact, impossible is nothing: if Obama could become President of the US, what is unachievable?! However, thereís history, thereís also logic and common sense and itís exactly based on those that I make my predictions. U donít like them as a Finn Ė no surprises here: itís only natural, no problem with me. But u know what, I say we continue this argument Saturday night. Iím sure it will be one to remember for u and other Finns))haha

PS: "The Soviet Union had the pleasure to play against non-NHL'ers"

Yep, and Elvis Presley is still alive, John Lennon was a woman and Americans never landed on the Moon. How do u beat universal truths, after all?!

PeacEnforcer is offline  
Old
05-10-2011, 04:25 PM
  #223
PeacEnforcer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 63
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaNNe View Post
P.S Thank you for giving me a nice smile on my face after reading that one.
You may smile yourself to death for now, for all I care, but the simple truth is: it is a smiling face on Saturday and Sunday night - not now, that is worth having. However something tells me, in your case, it will be more like a grimace of anguish, rather than smiles and hugs
Good luck, for u will need plenty of it to avoid inevitable tears over the weekend!

PeacEnforcer is offline  
Old
05-10-2011, 04:28 PM
  #224
illone84
Registered User
 
illone84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Naucalpan De Juarez
Country: Mexico
Posts: 479
vCash: 500
PS: "The Soviet Union had the pleasure to play against non-NHL'ers"

My bad mate, I ment in the olympics.

Yep, we shall continue this conversation tomorrow and the next few days.

illone84 is offline  
Old
05-10-2011, 04:37 PM
  #225
helicecopter
Registered User
 
helicecopter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: give me higher shots
Posts: 7,975
vCash: 500
any update on Havlat's conditions?

helicecopter is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.