HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

take a look at these lines

Closed Thread

Old
07-18-2004, 12:07 PM
Sensored

vCash: 500
take a look at these lines

Smyth-Peca-Alfredsson (awesome first line grit and skill)
Bondra-Spezza-Hossa (its all skill here lack of grit might be a problem)
Varada-Wiemer-Niel (******* line)
Schaefer-Vermette-Langfeld (Langfeld and Schaefer supply the grit Vermette has the skills)

Chara-Phillips
Redden-Smith
Volchenkov-de Vries
Pothier

1. Trade Havlat,1st Round Draft Pick,4th Round Draft Pick (obtained for Patrick) for Smyth and Smith

2. Trade Smolinski for a 2nd

3. Trade that second, White and Jan Platil for Peca

4. Sign Wiemer

5. Sign Bondra

Think about it, if Muckler were smart he probably pull off those moves.

Old
07-18-2004, 12:16 PM
VanCanuck

IMO the sens are not going to trade marty.

Old
07-18-2004, 12:19 PM
Murphy*

Where's Fisher? And what's the point of trading Smolinski for a 2nd?

Old
07-18-2004, 12:22 PM
VanCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SENS4EVER
5. Sign Bondra

If we sign bondra I will stop believing in muckler

Old
07-18-2004, 01:01 PM
Tap on the Ankle
expert analysis

If Mucks were going after an offensive player to stick on the LW, I would rather it be Kariya than Bondra. Kariya's natural side is the left, so he'll be much more effective, and he was a PPG player a year ago.

Peca would be an excellent addition. His worth depends on MM's stance, of course. If Milbury is looking to dump salary to make room for Kashin, he might come cheap. But MM may expect a good roster player in return... you just never know with him.

A big 10-4 on the signing Wiemer, though. And I'd also trade White, so our C depth chart would be:

Smolinski
Spezza
Fisher
Wiemer

But if we somehow got Peca,

Spezza
Peca
Fisher
Wiemer

and then move Smokes to the wing.

But year, I don't think the Sens would trade Marty either. His ceiling is waaaay too high to let go of now. His stock will continue to rise for a couple more years, at least. He's been compared to a young Bure, ffs. He's an ace up our sleeve, a guy like that on a 3rd line! If we traded him, we wouldn't have a chance of being the highest scoring team in the league next year.

Anyway, if I were Mucks, I'd do the following:

1) Sign Damphousse
2) Sign Wiemer
3) Consider signing Mellanby
4) Trade White (no room for him with VD around) (on a side note, VD is the worst initials ever)

Lines:

Schaefer - Damphousse - Hossa
Smolinski - Spezza - Alfredsson
Vermette - Fisher - Havlat
Varada - Wiemer - Neil

Defense is basically the same as you had it but put Pothier where Smith is. If Mellanby was signed, I don't know exactly where I'd put him, but somewhere on the LW obviously. Who would be dropped, I don't know, but definatly not Vermette

Old
07-18-2004, 01:59 PM
senate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher
(on a side note, VD is the worst initials ever)
If we put VD with Spezza, Smolinski, or Schaefer than trade for a guy whose name starts with T, Ottawa could have a fearsome "STD" line.

Old
07-18-2004, 02:00 PM
senskickass12

I'm with Fisher and against trading Havlat, even if it is for a guy like Smyth. Him plus a 1st and 4th round for Smyth and Smith is an overpayment IMO. Smith would be nice but we don't really need him.

I'm not as high as some of you are about signing Weimer as most on this board seem to be but I'm not against his signing here. I'd love to get Peca but I don't think the Isles would be interested in a 2nd, White and Platil for him If we got Peca there's no need for Smolinski and then there'd be a point in trading Smolinski for that 2nd, or whatever we could get. I also think we should try Havlat over at LW again and see if he can adjust. I'd rather him try and adjust to that wing than Bondra and it would give him top 2 line minutes he deserves.

Old
07-18-2004, 02:30 PM
Sensored

holy **** i overlooked fisher!

ok then, ****** Bondra

Smyth-Peca-Alfredsson
Fisher-Spezza-Hossa
Varada-Wiemer-Niel
Schaefer-Vermette-Langfeld

Chara-Phillips
Redden-Smith
Volchenkov-de Vries
Pothier

P.S. i love havlat but we have enough talent Smyth is EXACTLY what this team needs and i'd be willing to give up an amazing talent like Havlat to get what we need to go over the top. and fisher CAN play LW for those who are wondering.

oh and yeah im kinda counting on the fact the the isles might be looking to dump salary.

Last edited by Sensored: 07-18-2004 at 02:33 PM.
Old
07-18-2004, 02:30 PM
ErnestoGuevara

Quote:
Think about it, if Muckler were smart he probably pull off those moves.
That's the kind of things people post with their first ver post on the forum...

1. What if Lowe doesn't want to part Smyth and Smith, and if he is ready to trade them what tells you he wouldn't want two established players back?? Because you're assuming he's rebuilding? And who knows if he'd want Havlat, maybe he thinks Hemsky has the potential to be the same kind of player and is satisfied with him as his future first line RW.

2. We trade him to the league I suppose??? Who' gonna give us a second round pick for Smokes at this salary?

3. What if Milbury wants a winger to play on the top line with Yashin if eh trades Peca? What if he really doesn't like Platil or thinks White is just another version of Blake.

4. What if Wiemer is asking for too much money? Or what if he wants to play elsewhere?

5. What if Bondra decides he wants to end his career in Washington? Or what if Melnyk decides he doesn't want to spend anymore money.

Think about it, if you were smart you'd probably know that it's really nto all up to Muckler to pull off these moves.....

You can dream all you want but don't be mad at Mucks if none of these trades/signings happen. Even if Muckler thinks like you and gives his 100% to make these 5 things happen well probably only 1 or 2, if any, of these will happen. This is not NHL 2004 form EA sports.

Oh and one more thing, I don't see how this lineup is better than the one the Sens had last year... grittier of course, but better??? not neceserly.

Old
07-18-2004, 02:43 PM
Sensored

thanks for the lecture mother, by the way i would not think any less of muckler if he didnt pull off any of the moves their i was just saying it'd be a good idea (poor wording on my part i guess). I realise that all of those trades depend on alot of things but they're possible and the Havlat/Smyth,Smith trade benefits both teams. The Oilers already have too many natural LW's and the Sens too many RW's we need grit they need skill. I overlooked Fisher so there's no need to sign Bondra so forget about that. How much money could Wiemer possibly ask for? Think about it he's not going to come up and ask for an arm and leg. The most i could see him asking for is a three year seven and a half million dollar deal. Lastly im not the GM of the Islanders so i dont know what's best for their team, maybe they want a better prospect, maybe they dont want White or maybe they dont want to trade Peca at all. The whole point of these forums is to discuss the possibility, this isnt reality so dont go sh^ting all over my idea

Old
07-18-2004, 02:54 PM
ErnestoGuevara

Quote:
thanks for the lecture mother, by the way i would not think any less of muckler if he didnt pull off any of the moves their i was just saying it'd be a good idea (poor wording on my part i guess). I realise that all of those trades depend on alot of things but they're possible and the Havlat/Smyth,Smith trade benefits both teams. The Oilers already have too many natural LW's and the Sens too many RW's we need grit they need skill. I overlooked Fisher so there's no need to sign Bondra so forget about that. How much money could Wiemer possibly ask for? Think about it he's not going to come up and ask for an arm and leg. The most i could see him asking for is a three year seven and a half million dollar deal. Lastly im not the GM of the Islanders so i dont know what's best for their team, maybe they want a better prospect, maybe they dont want White or maybe they dont want to trade Peca at all. The whole point of these forums is to discuss the possibility, this isnt reality so dont go sh^ting all over my idea

You said if Muckler were smart he'd pull off these moves... so in other words if he doesn't you'll think he's stupid.... but in your last post you sayd you wouldn't think any less of him if these moves didn't happen..... Like you said yourself, you probably didn't choose the right words.

I agree that these boards are to discuss the possibilities but there's is like 0 chance that all these things happen, so you posted your dream line-up even thoug there's no possibility of it actualy happening....I just don't understand, if it isn't reality and it has no chance of one day becoming reality then what's the point of talking about it? People are just talking about the same players over and over like they were going to solve all our problems but it's not even based on a rumour or anything just on someone's opinion of what the team needs....... You're just missing Federov and Morrow (altthoug people seem to have forgotten about him) in your initial post and you have all these exemples of false-reality for the Sens. If you hear a rumour on TV or read it in the newspaper that the Sens are interested in a certain player well then you can discuss the possibility.... but talking about the possibility that the player you like comes ot Ottawa is just a waste of time becasue the possibility is just so small.

Old
07-18-2004, 06:55 PM
operasen

Peca is toast. His body is done (not his heart). And he'e ridiculously overpaid. Send 3 players to NYI for him - no thanks.

Old
07-19-2004, 12:48 AM
16w

Quote:
. and fisher CAN play LW for those who are wondering.
fisher is far more effective playing centre

his speed and energy is wasted on the wing

id rather have him centring the 4th line and getting PK minutes than getting more 5 on 5 time as a winger on the top 2 lines

Old
07-19-2004, 01:19 AM
Don Draper

i am fairly tired of all these "we need this player. we need to make this trade happen". Fact of the matter, Smyth would be great, morrow would be great, wiemer would be great, but our team is plenty deep as it is. Do u want do trade a potential 100 point player for a 60 point grinder? No one has answered that yet. What about Vermette on the 4th line? Didnt he show to be almost too good for the 3rd line in the playoffs? Whats he doing on everyones 4th line? And now we need weimer at over a million to play 12 min a night?
If you wanna trade havlat for smyth or morrow, thats cool, so do i, but the possibilities of getting both sides to agree on it, is fairly unlikely. The team right now is incredibly solid, and I would not be a bit sad if the only changes to the team have already been made.

Old
07-19-2004, 07:29 AM
Suiteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M. Fletcher
i am fairly tired of all these "we need this player. we need to make this trade happen". Fact of the matter, Smyth would be great, morrow would be great, wiemer would be great, but our team is plenty deep as it is. Do u want do trade a potential 100 point player for a 60 point grinder? No one has answered that yet. What about Vermette on the 4th line? Didnt he show to be almost too good for the 3rd line in the playoffs? Whats he doing on everyones 4th line? And now we need weimer at over a million to play 12 min a night?
If you wanna trade havlat for smyth or morrow, thats cool, so do i, but the possibilities of getting both sides to agree on it, is fairly unlikely. The team right now is incredibly solid, and I would not be a bit sad if the only changes to the team have already been made.

Thank you finally! Vermette was arguably the team's second best forward in the playoffs last year. His talents would be wasted on the fourth line.

Old
07-19-2004, 08:53 AM
operasen

Vermette should be given a shot at his natural centre position. I'd love to see Spezza, Vermette, Fisher and (White) as our 4, barring a trade, which does not have to happen until someone we want is available. V has as much upside as Spezza, just not the same hype.

Old
07-19-2004, 10:28 AM
chara

Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen
Vermette should be given a shot at his natural centre position. I'd love to see Spezza, Vermette, Fisher and (White) as our 4, barring a trade, which does not have to happen until someone we want is available. V has as much upside as Spezza, just not the same hype.
Agreed. I wouldn't be half surprised if Mucks doesn't add another player if Bondra doesn't sign.

Mucks will NOT get into bidding wars. Unlike JFJr, he'll work with the owners to get a fair CBA in place. If Weimer, Bondra, Damphousse, Zhits, etc, want to play for Ottawa, they'll do it to win a Cup. These guys aren't hurting financially. Muck's message will be clear: Here's what's expected and here's the offer. Period.

Anyone of these guys are role players. They're not saviours. Its your best players - Alfie, Hossa, Havlat, Spezza, Chara, Redden, Hasek, etc. who have to step it up.

Tampa didn't win the cup because of Tim Taylor's grit. Yes, he was very good. But it was the talented guys Richards, Lecavalier, St.Louis, Boyle, and Khabibulin who stepped it up to the next level. When they did, Tampa couldn't lose.

Old
07-19-2004, 11:22 AM
operasen

One of the best posts on the subject - you nailed it precisely.

Old
07-19-2004, 11:43 AM
ErnestoGuevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen
I completely agree, we all see Vermette as a good defensive forward but the kid is also very gifted offensivly (not as much as Spezza, but his defensive play makes up for it) and he has the potential to be a very good second line center and I think he should be given a chance to play there for at least a few games as soon as this year. If Vermette hadn't suffered that serious Neck/head injury after his draft year, he would probably be where Spezza is right now.

Giving Vermette more icetime and a bigger role would be a good publibity move too as it may help the Sens win more fans in french-canada (with Lalime gone, Vermette becomes the only french speaking player on the Sens). The Canadiens have always had alot of french speaking players and it may sound stupid but it sometimes helped keep and gain more fans.

Old
07-19-2004, 12:15 PM
Tap on the Ankle
expert analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestoGuevara
Giving Vermette more icetime and a bigger role would be a good publibity move too as it may help the Sens win more fans in french-canada (with Lalime gone, Vermette becomes the only french speaking player on the Sens). The Canadiens have always had alot of french speaking players and it may sound stupid but it sometimes helped keep and gain more fans.
Actually, I was watching RDS once, and they were showing Todd White giving an interview in French. But I know what you mean, Antoine is a French player, so he is someone they can connect with.

Old
07-19-2004, 12:58 PM
The King of Town

Quote:
Actually, I was watching RDS once, and they were showing Todd White giving an interview in French. But I know what you mean, Antoine is a French player, so he is someone they can connect with.
apparently Alfie promised the French sports radio station in Gatineau an interview in French last year... I didn't hear the actual interview, but heard about the promise on RDS. He's been practicing/studying French but was at the time too shy to use it on TV/radio.

I think that's awesome... Our captain loves the city, its people, and I seriously doubt will ever leave.

Old
07-19-2004, 02:18 PM
ErnestoGuevara

Quote:
Yeah I know... Todd White learned his french in high school in Kanata but I don't think french speaking hockey dans really identify with him.... I tihnk Pothier also speaks a bit of french (his grand-parents were from lousiana or something like that and well Pothier is a french name).

Andre Roy, even thoug he was an american, was a very popular figure with the francophones and I think Lalime was pretty popular too... So if the Sens want to win over some of the Habs fans in the region, giving Vermette a bigger role on the tema is definitly a good PR move. There is also Payer (forgot to mention him in my other post) who is french and if I'm not mistaken is from the region (Rockland??).

Closed Thread