HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

backward crossovers

Old
05-07-2011, 09:40 AM
datsyukianLIKE

vCash: 500
backward crossovers

i started playing hockey probably a year ago and i have gotten decent i think the one thing holding me back is backward crossovers i can do forward crossovers both ways any tips or video that helped you?

datsyukianLIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 05:13 PM
beth

How comfortable are you going backwards in general? For me, backwards crossovers didn't get really good until I was comfortable going backwards on one foot. That's where you should start - work on backwards one-foot glides, then one-foot backwards inside edges, and one-foot backwards outside edges. Lotsa good drills and tips in these two videos:

Try to force yourself to spend half your practice skating time going backwards, and it will become natural in no time. You need to get yourself to the point where you can skate backwards without thinking "hey, I'm going backwards now", and then crossovers will be just as easy as doing them forwards.

Have fun!!

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 05:29 PM
AIREAYE

Great advice ^

I found that I learned how to do them while on roller skates because compared to ice, pavement and the wheels are more grippy; allowing me to be more stable going backwards on one foot and such.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 05:48 PM
jwitz04

definitely practice in roller hockey if you can. Ive always skated a ton of roller and its made me a great skater for ice

jwitz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 08:19 PM
Blueland89

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwitz04 View Post
definitely practice in roller hockey if you can. Ive always skated a ton of roller and its made me a great skater for ice
^

yes sir

I have actually just learned my backwards crossover come at the price of some skinned elbows but that part of learning

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 02:02 PM
r3cc0s

I am reasonly proficcient at this now even though I've only skated for about 4 months...

practice practice practice...

I find that thinking in the term of cross-under makes the most difference, and taking defencive shifts most often will be the best application to force you to learn fast.

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote