HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs need #1 C, discuss here.

Closed Thread

Old
06-01-2011, 12:12 PM
The Messenger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywiz542 View Post
Hey guys,

According to TSN hockey insider Darren Dreger, the Philadelphia Flyers will not be trading away C Jeff Carter this summer.

http://twitter.com/#!/DarrenDreger/s...88201221390336
Kinda conflicts with this which is dated May 29:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...g-jeff-carter/

Anyway only time will tell.

As a Plan C, what do posters think about TJ Oshie?

Old
06-01-2011, 12:13 PM
mooseOAK*

Dreger can ask any GM if any player is available and will get the same answer regardless.

Last edited by mooseOAK*: 06-01-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old
06-01-2011, 12:18 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Kinda conflicts with this which is dated May 29:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...g-jeff-carter/

Anyway only time will tell.

As a Plan C, what do posters think about TJ Oshie?

I'm sticking with Plan A, Brad Richards.

Old
06-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTime View Post
I'm sticking with Plan A, Brad Richards.
I didn't hear it but a colleague of mine told me 30 mins ago that Stephen Brunt said on the FAN 590 that the Richards deal was all but done with Toronto, normally I wouldn't put much stock into what co workers say but this guy knows hockey. Did anyone else hear this? It's not April and it is hard for me to believe Brunt would say this, but I think he was serious.

Old
06-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Baba Ganoush

full of bologna i say.

Old
06-01-2011, 12:29 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I didn't hear it but a colleague of mine told me 30 mins ago that Stephen Brunt said on the FAN 590 that the Richards deal was all but done with Toronto, normally I wouldn't put much stock into what co workers say but this guy knows hockey. Did anyone else hear this? It's not April and it is hard for me to believe Brunt would say this, but I think he was serious.
Done as in what exactly?:

a) Trading for rights?
b) Someone else (NYR) aquiring his rights; or another scenario making a BR signing all but "done" (as in not happening)?

Old
06-01-2011, 12:30 PM
GE0

Quote:
If you didn't hear it yourself, take it with a grain of salt at best.

If it turns out to be true, and some radio personality (meh) heard/said it, it will obviously come to light sooner rather than later.

Old
06-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
Done as in what exactly?:

a) Trading for rights?
b) Someone else (NYR) aquiring his rights; or another scenario making a BR signing all but "done" (as in not happening)?
Mentioned that the deal was done in principle, the agent is playing it like a fox. July 1 is one month away, but we know these deals are usually done beforehand as we know. I was a little shocked when he said this to me, but he made it clear it came from Brunt, who we all know broke the Atlanta to Winnepeg rumour wide open.

Old
06-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Interactif

Prime Time on B Richards no Brunt

Found this, but no Brunt. Cox didn't rule it out.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/video/404093...hards-to-Leafs

Old
06-01-2011, 12:40 PM
topched

Quote:
Mentioned that the deal was done in principle, the agent is playing it like a fox. July 1 is one month away, but we know these deals are usually done beforehand as we know. I was a little shocked when he said this to me, but he made it clear it came from Brunt, who we all know broke the Atlanta to Winnepeg rumour wide open.
Well the deals actually arent done beforehand because its tampering and illegal. So I'm not buying it whatsoever. My guess is a case of broken telephone that started with Brunt saying the leafs were interested in signing Richards to a deal and it turned into "deal done".

Old
06-01-2011, 12:42 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
This is not true.

No way in hell Burke would be negotiating a contract, under the table, with a pending UFA. Something like this would come with severe consequences from the NHL. Not to mention it's illegal.

Old
06-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Because you think that Burke lacks the basic knowledge that trading Kulemin makes improving the forward group much more difficult?
I suggest not over-thinking; you have to reply for other threads too!

All it meant was just hoping for we get a free-wallet than a traded #1C, which would cost ample.

Btw, even if you were to take it literally, you didn't do much on the part.

Old
06-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Well the deals actually arent done beforehand because its tampering and illegal. So I'm not buying it whatsoever. My guess is a case of broken telephone that started with Brunt saying the leafs were interested in signing Richards to a deal and it turned into "deal done".
Yes in the real world they are not, but we all see signing frenzies once the clock strikes midnight on July 1, surely they were negotiating weeks before this.

Old
06-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Quote:
I would think that someone else would post something similar on this forum if it was true.

Old
06-01-2011, 12:47 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanta Yo View Post
I would think that someone else would post something similar on this forum if it was true.
Yes, this is why I asked if anyone else hear Brunt. Don't want to mislead or get anyone's hopes up, especially here. I'll refrain from posting anymore on this until we hear more.

Old
06-01-2011, 12:51 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsfan80 View Post
I suggest not over-thinking; you have to reply for other threads too!

All it meant was just hoping for we get a free-wallet than a traded #1C, which would cost ample.

Btw, even if you were to take it literally, you didn't do much on the part.
Some people are beyond help, i.e. those that write that they are afraid that Kulemin will be traded and then state they meant something else. If Burke put everyone on the trade block he'd have his number one center by now.

Old
06-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
This is not true.

No way in hell Burke would be negotiating a contract, under the table, with a pending UFA. Something like this would come with severe consequences from the NHL. Not to mention it's illegal.
Don't be so naive. What do you think the reason most of the big guys sign right away on July 1st is?? I assure you that the player has a pretty good idea of where he's going to end up before that. All kinds of stuff goes on unofficially.

Old
06-01-2011, 12:54 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Yes in the real world they are not, but we all see signing frenzies once the clock strikes midnight on July 1, surely they were negotiating weeks before this.

Sure lots of deals are signed on July1st; but its usually midmorning, afternoon and evening. Teams invest a lot of time to develop a plan of attack once the clock strikes midnight.

If they were negotiating beforehand, they would be doing so illegally (from an NHL and legal standpoint) which would come with serious consequences when caught.

Anyone recall Wilson saying (on June 30th) "..We'll be going after the Sedins on July1st"?

I can ensure you, Burke is not negotiating a contract, under the table with Richards or his agent.

Old
06-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Some people are beyond help, i.e. those that write that they are afraid that Kulemin will be traded and then state they meant something else. If Burke put everyone on the trade block he'd have his number one center by now.
Yea sure. Trade up everything. Trade Schenn, Kadri, Kule; get #1C and go golfing again. Trading these assets for a star center is a stepback in team building.

a) You are breaking apart a 80 goal producing line.
b) You are trading away your D man; whom the GM himself refers to as the next captain material.
c) You are trading away your best prospect.

PS: Please don't reply to me onwards; that would be a huge favour

Old
06-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Sure lots of deals are signed on July1st; but its usually midmorning, afternoon and evening. Teams invest a lot of time to develop a plan of attack once the clock strikes midnight.

If they were negotiating beforehand, they would be doing so illegally (from an NHL and legal standpoint) which would come with serious consequences when caught.

Anyone recall Wilson saying (on June 30th) "..We'll be going after the Sedins on July1st"?

I can ensure you, Burke is not negotiating a contract, under the table with Richards or his agent.
Maybe negotiating is the wrong term, but say I was Burke and I was golfing with Richard's agent and over a lull in the action I say 7 at 49, would this be considered negotiating? I'm serious, would this be considered tampering?

Old
06-01-2011, 12:59 PM
topched

Quote:
Yea sure. Trade up everything. Trade Schenn, Kadri, Kule; get #1C and go golfing again. Trading these assets for a star center is a stepback in team building.

b) You are trading away your D man; whom the GM himself refers to as the next captain material.

So i dont think you understood anything that moose was saying...

He just said that trading Kulie would be a step back and a bad idea. And that Burke could havea #1 C by now if he mortaged the franchise, but that he wont do that.

And then you basically said "NO...... and then agreed with everything he said."

Old
06-01-2011, 01:01 PM
topched

Quote:
Maybe negotiating is the wrong term, but say I was Burke and I was golfing with Richard's agent and over a lull in the action I say 7 at 49, would this be considered negotiating? I'm serious, would this be tampering?
The golf game would be tampering in itself. If Burke got caught golfing with Richards and his agent, and then the Leafs sign him. The NHL cracks down, the leafs forfeit picks and $$ and it becomes a huge deal.

ANY type of negotiation is illegal. Brad Richards is property of the Dallas Stars, and them only. Unless they've given consent for teams to speak to him its completely illegal.

Old
06-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
The golf game would be tampering in itself. If Burke got caught golfing with Richards and his agent, and then the Leafs sign him. The NHL cracks down, the leafs forfeit picks and $$ and it becomes a huge deal.

ANY type of negotiation is illegal. Brad Richards is property of the Dallas Stars, and them only. Unless they've given consent for teams to speak to him its completely illegal.
How about if Nonis bumps into the agent at timmy's? Just joking...

Old
06-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

^ Can our captain train with Richards in PEI?

Old
06-01-2011, 01:05 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:

Good idea, your inability to read makes it kind of pointless.

Closed Thread