HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If You Had to Choose?

View Poll Results: Who is should be held accountable?
Fire the Coach, he is a bum who overworked the crew. 1 1.92%
Send a message, do not resign Leino, move one of Carter or Richards or Hartnell. 21 40.38%
Strip the C off Richards, and move Carter or Hartnell. 13 25.00%
Do nothing, everything is fine, just let them talk it out. 13 25.00%
Fire the Coach and GM, the core needs to stay intact. 4 7.69%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Cartsiephan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie View Post
A vast number of Philly fans aren't credible. These are the same people that were talking about how Leighton was going to lead the Flyers to the Cup when he came up through re-entry waivers.
And there are fans on this forum who think they know better by keeping Carter and Richards because they are too afraid to give them up and address the goaltending issue which has persisted since Hextall.

Old
05-10-2011, 02:27 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
I choose that people stop acting like Richards and Carter just killed our season due to laziness and lack of talent.

We lost for many reasons. We barely beat a crappy Buffalo team and we got swept by a HOT Bruins team. Our goalie sucks, our top defender was injured, our top goalscorer was injured and you guys act like we need to blow up our team.

Sometimes I wish we could trade half the idiot fans on here. Is Richards perfect? No. Is he a good captain? How the **** would any of you know? You aren't in the locker room or on the ice.

Throwing a hissy fit after a disappointing playoff series doesnt change the fact that we need to re-tool, make some adjustments and strive for a better result next season. Even if our team is firing on all cyclinders, there is no guarantee we could match up with the Canucks anyway, not with Boucher in net and Pronger out.
But why are you missing the fact that this team was losing even while Carter was healthy, Richards was still "leading" and the goalies were not turnstiles. This is a team who failed to put up effort during the last 1/3 of the season. This is not about the fans blaming Carter or Richards, as a matter of fact Carter is a great goal scorer, who will get the most value in return in a trade. And thus help to solve the major issue which is the goaltending.

Old
05-10-2011, 02:31 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
And there are fans on this forum who think they know better by keeping Carter and Richards because they are too afraid to give them up and address the goaltending issue which has persisted since Hextall.
Let's look at Nashville. Fantastic goaltending. Little scoring. Seems to me that they won 2 games more than the Flyers did in the 2nd round, but they're cleaning their lockers out today.

The Flyers had a combination of no goaltending and little scoring in playoffs this year. Getting rid of a guy who scores 30-35 goals a year (I know, Carter only scores in blowouts, but that's beside the point) and/or the guy who scores 25-30 and helps prevent opposition goals, particularly while on the PK, strikes me as counterproductive.

Had Homer not messed his pants last June, the Flyers could have a goalie AND Richards/Carter. And Gagne.

Old
05-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Cartsiephan*

Kimmo's comments:

Timonen says he has a meeting with Holmgren in a few days. "I don't think we'll have coffee and cakes there."
1 hour ago » euroflyers Teemu H
"That's what pisses me off the most. We weren't even close. There was no effort which I find unbelievable." - Timonen
2 hours ago » euroflyers Teemu H
"The better team won. It's a fact. We just couldn't get going for some ****ing reason." - Timonen

2 hours ago » euroflyers Teemu H @
@zelePUCKin Eriksson was decent. Got backup minutes which hurt his consistency. Learning experience.
12 hours ago » flyers_faithful Flyers Faithful by euroflyers
Prospect Profiles: Ricard Blidstrand: http://flyersfaithful.com/2011/05/09...rd-blidstrand/
9 May » euroflyers Teemu H @
@hemantpatel There's no Gustavsson/Rynnäs type hyped up goalie in Europe this year. I don't really see Flyers going for a goalie in Europe.
8 May » euroflyers Teemu H @
@flyers_faithful Thank you, too. If only the Flyers had a season as consistent as your blog.
8 May » euroflyers Teemu H @
@eFaich Nothing new on Timonen. I'd be surprised if he retired.
8 May » euroflyers Teemu H
Confirmed that neither Timonen or Leino goes to the Worlds.
8 May » euroflyers Teemu H
No point for Meszároš to go to the Worlds anymore. Slovakia didn't make the playoff rounds.
7 May » euroflyers Teemu H @
@Gordsie I think he wants to stay, but I wonder if there's room for him. Probably still more likely he re-signs than leaves, though.
7 May » euroflyers Teemu H
Slovaks have contacted Meszároš about going to the Worlds. No answer given yet.
7 May » euroflyers Teemu H @
@Tags27 They seem confident with their current goalies. At least for now.
Evgeni Nabokov out of the tournament with a groin injury. Russia not calling Bobrovsky.
"I need to talk with my agent 1st. Right now I'm just disappointed, of course. I haven't gone to the medical test yet, but we'll see." Leino
Leino still undecided about going to the World Championships.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old
05-10-2011, 02:38 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Let's look at Nashville. Fantastic goaltending. Little scoring. Seems to me that they won 2 games more than the Flyers did in the 2nd round, but they're cleaning their lockers out today.

The Flyers had a combination of no goaltending and little scoring in playoffs this year. Getting rid of a guy who scores 30-35 goals a year (I know, Carter only scores in blowouts, but that's beside the point) and/or the guy who scores 25-30 and helps prevent opposition goals, particularly while on the PK, strikes me as counterproductive.

Had Homer not messed his pants last June, the Flyers could have a goalie AND Richards/Carter. And Gagne.
I'd rather have Kesler. Did you see him on that last shift to end the game?

Good read:

Ryan Kesler: The emergence of a superstar

Forward sets up both Canucks goals and leads team to series win

By Jason Botchford, The Province May 10, 2011 9:06 AM Be the first to post a comment

The reason is Ryan Kesler, who just played "six of the most incredible games you will ever see," according to Nashville coach Barry Trotz.

Anyone who watched the series won't have to take his word for it.

Kesler started this season a very good player. He will end it a superstar.

With the stamina of a long-distance runner, the determination of a middleweight champion, the drive of a tank engine and the touch of a wizard, Kesler took our breath away. He outlasted the Nashville Predators and outplayed them, too. He wasn't alone. It just felt that way.

In desperate need of a closer, the Canucks found their Mariano Rivera — the gutsy 26-year-old centre from Detroit who chucked fastballs by Nashville all night to finally eliminate the Predators from the second round with a 2-1 win.

In Game 6 Monday, it didn't matter the Sedins weren't able to make anyone forget Don Cherry called them puppies. It didn't matter Roberto Luongo got beat for another softie, served up from behind the counter. It didn't matter Alain Vigneault may have tried to nurse home a two-goal, first-period lead and almost got burned doing it.

Kesler made sure of that. He bailed them all out. They can all buy him dinner. What does this guy eat, anyway? Thor's hammers?

You can say he's a horse, but a horse can't carry this many players — or an entire province.

The Canucks scored 14 goals in six games. Kesler was on the ice for 11 of them. He had 11 points in the series, and played 25 minutes a game. In the Game 6 clincher, Kesler set up both goals. But that doesn't come close to telling his story.

"I am not that good in English to find a word which would say how good he was," Alex Burrows said. "Defensively, offensively, PK, power play, a grinding game, faceoffs — he just did it all for us.

"He really wants it."

Oh, yes he does. And it's the reason this year will feature something that hasn't been seen in 17 years in Vancouver — one seven-game series to get to the Stanley Cup final.

Kesler's eyes were still smouldering with intensity long after the win. He couldn't smile. The stitches that line his mouth, both inside and out, made sure of that.

But this was his moment, and this was his series. He turned into Jonathan Toews, minus the Stanley Cup ring. If he can keep this up, he may get that too.

"I just want it really bad, really bad," Kesler said. "There are things you want in life and this is what I want. It's probably the way I was brought up. I don't like losing. The past two years were extremely hard on me when we lost. As I became a bigger leader, I put more pressure on myself to do more and more."

Every time you think Kesler can't play better, he does.

The Predators tried to stop him. They put Mike Fisher on him. They put Jerred Smithson on him. They put Shea Weber and Ryan Suter on him. He simply pushed them all out of his way.

Consider that Suter and Weber may be the best defensive pairing anywhere they lace up skates, and Kesler bulled through them. He wanted it more than Suter did when he stole the puck from him, outmuscled him and got a perfect feed out front to Mason Raymond, who scored Game 6's first goal.

"He just had one of those series that is absolutely remarkable for one player," Trotz said. "I thought ... if he doesn't play that way, we're probably going to Game 7 and we might win this series. He played to a level that few people can reach."

"The guy just doesn't get tired," Canucks teammate Jeff Tambellini said. "It doesn't matter if you double-shift him. It doesn't matter if he's on the PK, and then on 5-on-5. This guy has the stamina like I have never ever seen. It's fun to watch."

"Unreal," Burrows said of his former Moose teammate. "I thought he was unbelievable for us in Manitoba in the lockout year. But he was still a 20-year-old young kid. He didn't really know too much. But now he's more mature. ... He wanted to be our guy that leads us to the promised land. We're just going to jump on his back and keeping going."

The city of Vancouver will be right there with him.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ry...#ixzz1Lya9TvfH

Old
05-10-2011, 02:38 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Or we recognize that we don't need to sacrifice a key piece to address goaltending.

edit: No to Kesler over Carter. If he had been a player here before this year, you would be lambasting his playoff performances.

Old
05-10-2011, 02:39 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Or we recognize that we don't need to sacrifice a key piece to address goaltending.
Sometimes you do need to sacrifice an area of depth for an area of need.

Old
05-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Sometimes you do need to sacrifice an area of depth for an area of need.
But we don't need to. That's the thing. There are other ways. You just hate Carter and want him gone at all costs.

Old
05-10-2011, 02:45 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Twenty-one games, fourteen losses, seven wins, including a 3-7 record over the last ten games. So, were they exhausted all season? I guess all those Oiler and Isle teams in the 1980's, the Red Wings and Avs of the 1990's all have a different opinion of what it takes to be prepared for a "long run".

1978 New York Islanders: 48 wins and 111 points in 80 games. Lost their first series to underdogs Toronto.

1979 New York Islanders: 51 wins and 116 points in 80 games. Lost their second series to underdogs New York Rangers.

1982 Edmonton Oilers: 48 wins and 111 points in 80 games. Lost their first series to underdogs Los Angeles.

1983 Edmonton Oilers: 47 wins and 106 points in 80 games. Lost in the Stanley Cup Final to defending champion New York Islanders.

1995 Detroit Red Wings: 33 wins and 70 points in 48 games. Lost in the Stanley Cup Final to underdogs New Jersey.

1996 Detroit Red Wings: 62 wins and 131 points in 82 games: Lost in Western Conference Final to underdogs Colorado.

1994 Quebec Nordiques: 34 wins and 76 points in 84 games. Missed playoffs.

1995 Quebec Nordiques: 30 wins and 65 points in 48 games. Lost in the first round to underdogs New York Rangers.

Interesting examples you picked. Above I listed the two seasons prior to each team's first Stanley Cup in their periods of dominance. Had you been around to voice your opinion to the masses at the time, I'm 100% positive you would have advocated gutting each team's core and stripping the captaincy from Gillies (who was replaced by Denis Potvin after the '79 season), Gretzky, Yzerman and Sakic.

All of those teams suffered massive disappointment in the playoffs before they won a championship. This Flyers group is no different, though they likely will not ever distinguish themselves as a dynasty.

Your poll options are ridiculous because they don't address the key need of the club: goaltending. Your biases are clear and you have proven yourself short-sighted and reactionary.

Last edited by CanadianFlyer88: 05-10-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old
05-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
But we don't need to. That's the thing. There are other ways. You just hate Carter and want him gone at all costs.
He does not fit the style of play I expect from this team and his salary would be better used at this time to put towards a goalie and a RW who can play on the boards.

He is also a failure in the playoffs, if he is going to be kept around just for the regular season you are not making much of a case for him, think Ollie Jokinen.

Old
05-10-2011, 02:48 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Funny that this article could have been written about Mike Richards last season.

Edit: Also, after Kesler's sub-par performance in round one, I recall a post of yours that questioned whether or not he actually had 'it'. Good to see your back on the bandwagon.

Old
05-10-2011, 02:52 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Yes I did - it was fantastic shift (helped by Kostitsyn's stupidity!). Nice of him to finally show up to the playoffs.

I think he's a terrific player at the moment. Up until the last week or so, he'd been a huge disappointment in the postseason, and up until this year, a good, not great, player through the season. However, I'm pretty sure I could get points playing beside the Sedins.

Does this mean he's about to be a perennial superstar? No one knows. I'm sure Vancouver hopes he does. His past history might lead one to believe otherwise but we'll have to wait and see.

Carter (regular season): 461 games, 181 goals (36 this yr), 162 assists (36 this yr)
Kesler (regular season): 484 games, 131 goals (41 this yr), 157 assists (32 this yr)

Carter (playoffs): 47 games, 13 goals (1 this yr), 8 assists (1 this yr)
Kesler (playoffs): 36 games, 8 goals (5 this yr), 21 assists (10 this yr)

How much better is Kesler?

Old
05-10-2011, 02:52 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
He does not fit the style of play I expect from this team and his salary would be better used at this time to put towards a goalie and a RW who can play on the boards.

He is also a failure in the playoffs, if he is going to be kept around just for the regular season you are not making much of a case for him, think Ollie Jokinen.
What the hell do you expect from him? Do you want him to medically modify himself to be a super-cyborg, with the best genes of the greatest athletes of all time spliced into his DNA? What style do you expect?

He's a guy who uses his size on defense, scores goals, has clearly improved the lacking aspects of his game, has begun going to the net to get dirty goals, and has the heart to play on broken feet and sprained knees. Getting rid of Carter leaves a big hole in the roster, you just choose to ignore that by claiming that JVR and Giroux will cover it up

Know who else was a failure in the playoffs until this year? Kesler.

Old
05-10-2011, 03:13 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:

Sounds a bit like Curtis Glencross, combined with Tomas Vokoun. Guess what? We can get them both without trading Carter.

Old
05-10-2011, 03:34 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Sounds a bit like Curtis Glencross, combined with Tomas Vokoun. Guess what? We can get them both without trading Carter.
Logic and reason don't work with some people.

Old
05-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Swiper the Fox

Quote:
and there are those that don't want to give up your 'core' of star playes for the goaltending because all that will get you is a decent team with outstanding goaltending.

example of this would be : Nashville

we need to keep 'core' and also somehow get a good goalie
otherwise, we are on the other side of the team scale with still no way of getting the cup

Old
05-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
What the hell do you expect from him? Do you want him to medically modify himself to be a super-cyborg, with the best genes of the greatest athletes of all time spliced into his DNA? What style do you expect?

He's a guy who uses his size on defense, scores goals, has clearly improved the lacking aspects of his game, has begun going to the net to get dirty goals, and has the heart to play on broken feet and sprained knees. Getting rid of Carter leaves a big hole in the roster, you just choose to ignore that by claiming that JVR and Giroux will cover it up

Know who else was a failure in the playoffs until this year? Kesler.

I do now see him as a fit on this team at this time and his salary could be better used elsewhere. In a non-cap era I could care less whether he was on the team. But right now his salary could be better utlized.

I disagree about his importance to the roster, they seemed to be able to do well at times when he has not been "fit to play" so I do not quite understand why when he is healthy to play he does not show up, and when he is hurt they still seem to be able to play just fine without him that all of the sudden he is the key to this team being successful.

And guess who has topped Carter pt total while playing in less games, while also at the top of his team in hits, blocks, and faceoff %? Kesler, I would take Kesler over Carter 10/10, yesterday, today, and next week twice.

Old
05-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
What does Vokoun sign for? And how much does Glencross cost in the offseason? Do you still resign Leino, or do you let him walk and trade Carle? Something has to give. And Vokoun is not going to take less than $4mill FYI.

Old
05-10-2011, 03:56 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiper the Fox View Post
and there are those that don't want to give up your 'core' of star playes for the goaltending because all that will get you is a decent team with outstanding goaltending.

example of this would be : Nashville

we need to keep 'core' and also somehow get a good goalie
otherwise, we are on the other side of the team scale with still no way of getting the cup
How did the "core" do for you in the 2nd half of the season?

Old
05-10-2011, 04:03 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
And Gagne wouldn't be a consideration for Team Canada.
How'd he do?

Quote:
If you asked the average hockey non-Flyers fan their thoughts on Richards, you'd get an entirely different response than the **** you try to sell.
Please provide proof of this speculation.

Why should I care what "the average hockey non-Flyers fan" who sees Richards two or three or four times a year thinks of him? Many of them are probably Canadians who are still clinging to a world Juniors championship seven years ago.

Besides, I have little problems with Richards on-ice. It just appears to me at this point that he's not much of a captain.

Old
05-10-2011, 04:04 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
I do now see him as a fit on this team at this time and his salary could be better used elsewhere. In a non-cap era I could care less whether he was on the team. But right now his salary could be better utlized.

I disagree about his importance to the roster, they seemed to be able to do well at times when he has not been "fit to play" so I do not quite understand why when he is healthy to play he does not show up, and when he is hurt they still seem to be able to play just fine without him that all of the sudden he is the key to this team being successful.

And guess who has topped Carter pt total while playing in less games, while also at the top of his team in hits, blocks, and faceoff %? Kesler, I would take Kesler over Carter 10/10, yesterday, today, and next week twice.
What aspect of Carter's game doesn't fit on this team? Do tell.

If you remove Carter's 35 goals, the team drops from 3rd to 18th in Goals For. You think that won't affect how many games the team wins?

Old
05-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
How'd he do?

Please provide proof of this speculation.

Why should I care what "the average hockey non-Flyers fan" who sees Richards two or three or four times a year thinks of him? Many of them are probably Canadians who are still clinging to a world Juniors championship seven years ago.

Besides, I have little problems with Richards on-ice. It just appears to me at this point that he's not much of a captain.

So you get to watch him often in the lockerroom?

Old
05-10-2011, 04:09 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post

It only appears to you after a loss. How convenient. If Canadians have no credibility than neither do you.

You were probably in your living room with a huge erection when Richards was dominating last year's first three rounds, but you only showed up here when they lost to Chicago.

Keep trolling. Your predictability is kind of comforting.

Old
05-10-2011, 04:10 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Storm View Post
It only appears to you after a loss. How convenient. If Canadians have no credibility than neither do you.

You were probably in your living room with a huge erection when Richards was dominating last year's first three rounds, but you only showed up here when they lost to Chicago.

Keep trolling. Your predictability is kind of comforting.

Old
05-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post

1978 New York Islanders: 48 wins and 111 points in 80 games. Lost their first series to underdogs Toronto.

1979 New York Islanders: 51 wins and 116 points in 80 games. Lost their second series to underdogs New York Rangers.

1982 Edmonton Oilers: 48 wins and 111 points in 80 games. Lost their first series to underdogs Los Angeles.

1983 Edmonton Oilers: 47 wins and 106 points in 80 games. Lost in the Stanley Cup Final to defending champion New York Islanders.

1995 Detroit Red Wings: 33 wins and 70 points in 48 games. Lost in the Stanley Cup Final to underdogs New Jersey.

1996 Detroit Red Wings: 62 wins and 131 points in 82 games: Lost in Western Conference Final to underdogs Colorado.

1994 Quebec Nordiques: 34 wins and 76 points in 84 games. Missed playoffs.

1995 Quebec Nordiques: 30 wins and 65 points in 48 games. Lost in the first round to underdogs New York Rangers.

Interesting examples you picked. Above I listed the two seasons prior to each team's first Stanley Cup in their periods of dominance. Had you been around to voice your opinion to the masses at the time, I'm 100% positive you would have advocated gutting each team's core and stripping the captaincy from Gillies (who was replaced by Denis Potvin after the '79 season), Gretzky, Yzerman and Sakic.

All of those teams suffered massive disappointment in the playoffs before they won a championship. This Flyers group is no different, though they likely will not ever distinguish themselves as a dynasty.

Your poll options are ridiculous because they don't address the key need of the club: goaltending. Your biases are clear and you have proven yourself short-sighted and reactionary.

Ummmm..seems to me like these teams do not have problems making it back to the Stanley Cup in repeat years and continued success. Heck, look to the Flyers of the 1980's, they may long runs every year practically and it never stopped them.

Stanley Cup Champs

1980 New York Islanders (CC) Al Arbour Philadelphia Flyers (CC) Pat Quinn 4–2 Bob Nystrom (7:11, OT)
1981 New York Islanders (CC) Al Arbour Minnesota North Stars (PW) Glen Sonmor 4–1 Wayne Merrick (5:37, first)
1982 New York Islanders (PW) Al Arbour Vancouver Canucks (CC) Roger Neilson 4–0 Mike Bossy (5:00, second)
1983 New York Islanders (PW) Al Arbour Edmonton Oilers (CC) Glen Sather 4–0 Mike Bossy (12:39, first)

1984 Edmonton Oilers (CC) Glen Sather New York Islanders (PW) Al Arbour 4–1 Ken Linseman (0:38, second)
1985 Edmonton Oilers (CC) Glen Sather Philadelphia Flyers (PW) Mike Keenan 4–1 Paul Coffey (17:57, first

1987 Edmonton Oilers (CC) Glen Sather Philadelphia Flyers (PW) Mike Keenan 4–3 Jari Kurri (14:59, second)
1988 Edmonton Oilers (CC) Glen Sather Boston Bruins (PW) Terry O'Reilly 4–0 Wayne Gretzky (9:44, second)
1990 Edmonton Oilers (CC) John Muckler Boston Bruins (PW) Mike Milbury 4–1 Craig Simpson (9:31, second)

1991 Pittsburgh Penguins (PW) Bob Johnson Minnesota North Stars (CC) Bob Gainey 4–2 Ulf Samuelsson (2:00, first)
1992 Pittsburgh Penguins (PW) Scotty Bowman Chicago Blackhawks (CC) Mike Keenan 4–0 Ron Francis (7:59, third)

1997 Detroit Red Wings (WC) Scotty Bowman Philadelphia Flyers (EC) Terry Murray 4–0 Darren McCarty (13:02, second)
1998 Detroit Red Wings (WC) Scotty Bowman Washington Capitals (EC) Ron Wilson 4–0 Martin Lapointe (2:26, second)

2008 Detroit Red Wings (WC) Mike Babcock Pittsburgh Penguins (EC) Michel Therrien 4–2 Henrik Zetterberg (7:36, third)
2009 Pittsburgh Penguins (EC) Dan Bylsma Detroit Red Wings (WC) Mike Babcock 4–3 Maxime Talbot (10:07, second)

Closed Thread