HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

If You Had to Choose?

View Poll Results: Who is should be held accountable?
Fire the Coach, he is a bum who overworked the crew. 1 1.92%
Send a message, do not resign Leino, move one of Carter or Richards or Hartnell. 21 40.38%
Strip the C off Richards, and move Carter or Hartnell. 13 25.00%
Do nothing, everything is fine, just let them talk it out. 13 25.00%
Fire the Coach and GM, the core needs to stay intact. 4 7.69%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2011, 12:41 PM
Cartsiephan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Do not get caught in the idea that one player is greater than the whole. The Bruins did fine without Kessel. They replaced him with guys who care and work hard every shift, battle for the loose pucks, develop a game.

Not just skate the puck down the ice, drive wide, take bad angle shot, watch puck skate out going the other way.

Or, skate in on forecheck, see d-man with puck, skate towards him and as he goes to pass puck peel off and avoid hit.
Also take note the Bruins lost Wheeler and replaced him with Peverly and Kelly. Tow reasons why the Bruins won.

Old
05-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
really dude? Kessel is not that good. He doesnt do any of those things you mention. he is a goal scorer. period. I hope you are not trying to compare Kessel to Carter because that is laughable.
When it comes to physicality, Kessel is a delicate flower. Carter is a hulking man-tank compared to Kessel. Hell, Kessel made Zherdev look physical during the regular season.

Old
05-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Quote:
Also take note the Bruins lost Wheeler and replaced him with Peverly and Kelly. Tow reasons why the Bruins won.
Wheeler =/= Carter.

Old
05-11-2011, 12:43 PM
Jester

Quote:
Yeah, those 45 point forwards are real tough to replace.

Old
05-11-2011, 12:45 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
They are fine in the offensive zone controlling the puck when the line is clicking, and they're a lot of fun to watch.

However, when they're in the defensive zone or when the line is struggling, they're one step above a trainwreck defensively. Briere has always been a defensive liability whose offense more than makes up for it. Leino isn't a whole lot better defensively, and Hartnell runs hot and cold.

Let me put it this way. If the Flyers are defending a 1 goal lead, with 1.5 minutes to go in the game, and a faceoff in the defensive zone, which line would you put out there?
Briere is the weak link in this line, no question. But Leino has impressed me with his ability to cover back. The point is, as a unit with sustained offensive pressure lines can overcome the defensive deficits.

To answer the last question: JvR-Giroux-Carter. But is still does not mean you do not replace a player who can handle that responsibility. And Laviolette goes to Giroux for that faceoff too.

Now, if you take my advice and sign Konopka....it would be JvR-Konopka-Giroux.

Old
05-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Yeah, those 45 point forwards are real tough to replace.
See, once again, caught up in the stats and not the ability to play in all areas of the ice. Oh, BTW.

High scorers for the Bruins.....

1 Patrice Bergeron BOS C 11 2 10 12 7
2 Brad Marchand BOS C 11 5 6 11 9
3 David Krejci BOS C 11 5 5 10 5
4 Nathan Horton BOS R 11 5 5 10 6
5 Chris Kelly BOS C 11 4 3 7 7
6 Mark Recchi BOS R 11 2 5 7 9
7 Rich Peverley BOS C 11 1 5 6

Old
05-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Wheeler =/= Carter.
No Carter = Oillie Jokinen

Old
05-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Quote:
No Carter = Oillie Jokinen
uh...have you watched Olli play?

edit: calling him "oillie" only makes him seem creepier.

edit2: You're going to criticize Olli for not dragging the PANTHERS to a Cup? Really?

Old
05-11-2011, 01:15 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
uh...have you watched Olli play?

edit: calling him "oillie" only makes him seem creepier.

edit2: You're going to criticize Olli for not dragging the PANTHERS to a Cup? Really?
Take Joe Thornton too, although Joe has more tools in the toolbox.

Critique on Oillie is he has the ability to be a great regular season player, but in the playoffs he is not as great. He is also marshmellow soft.

Old
05-11-2011, 01:16 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Quote:
Take Joe Thornton too, although Joe has more tools in the toolbox.

Critique on Oillie is he has the ability to be a great regular season player, but in the playoffs he is not as great. He is also marshmellow soft.
So he's Kessel?

Old
05-11-2011, 01:18 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Wheeler sucks. He has never topped 45 points in a season.

How does Wheeler and Carter even compare? Do you read the crap you spew?

Old
05-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Wheeler sucks. He has never topped 45 points in a season.

How does Wheeler and Carter even compare? Do you read the crap you spew?
Soft players who do not show up in the playoffs, lack a physical game, etc...blah, blah, blah.

Old
05-11-2011, 02:18 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

I'm starting to hope this team trades Richards and Carter so these ****ing idiots around here can see that it'll hurt way more than it helps.

At the very least, make Pronger captain. Sarcastic interviews = Cup.

Old
05-11-2011, 03:14 PM
SolidSnakeUS

The only reason I'd say Wheeler is because look at him in the WC. He's been ALL over the place, and surprisingly fast for his size.

Old
05-11-2011, 03:58 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Storm View Post
I'm starting to hope this team trades Richards and Carter so these ****ing idiots around here can see that it'll hurt way more than it helps.

At the very least, make Pronger captain. Sarcastic interviews = Cup.
Agreed, but then I'd have to watch the Flyers plus whichever teams they get traded to and it would eat up all my time. Plus it would piss me off no end.

Old
05-12-2011, 08:19 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Agreed, but then I'd have to watch the Flyers plus whichever teams they get traded to and it would eat up all my time. Plus it would piss me off no end.
But then you would be able to watch more hockey, which I enjoy. During the season I would tune in for some of the late games to see the WC teams play. It gives you a good balance to what other teams/players look like and how they measure against the home team.

Because I live in Boston I have to listen to the blowhards around here chat up about the Bruins who I crushed all season. But what I did witness was the transformation of that team after they brought Peverly(for Wheeler) and Kelly(draft picks), and Kaberle(wasted trade but they needed to get a puck moving d-man). No blockbuster moves but their play was intensified by getting back to basics: skating, finishing hits, being a PIA to play against, backing up your teammates, and playing for the coach.

Things I saw lacking from this team down the stretch and in the playoffs.

Old
05-12-2011, 08:22 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Letting Asham go was a mistake. He provided some of that grinding element.

Old
05-12-2011, 09:18 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
their play was intensified by getting back to basics: skating, finishing hits, being a PIA to play against, backing up your teammates, and playing for the coach.
If only they'd had stellar goaltending, they'd have been darn near unbeatable.

Oh wait.

Quote:
Letting Asham go was a mistake. He provided some of that grinding element.
Agreed. And he can get a few goals here and there, which are a complete bonus. Letting Asham go because of the Shelley signing just compounds the stupidity of letting him walk.

Old
05-12-2011, 09:43 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Didn't agree with Asham being let go but I think it came down to Laviolette not exactly being thrilled about his conditioning and work ethic at least during the reg season. Obviously in the playoffs he steps it up. Carcillo seems to be the Asham for this offseason....

Old
05-12-2011, 09:48 AM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Sayonnarra Carts + Leino!
Bring in the BRYZ.

Old
05-12-2011, 10:34 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I can't believe how people can be so blind when it comes to Carter. Big deal, he hasn't had the best playoff performances early in his career. There were a lot of other good players who hadn't had good playoff performances either early in their career. One of the greatest Soo Greyhounds of all time, Ron Francis, didn't have a stellar playoff performance either his first 33 games (he only had 22 points and was a minus player).

The Carter hate is real old. I don't get why nobody is happy that the Flyers have a centerman capable of scoring 40 goals and playing stellar defense on top of it. He might not be the most physical player in the world, but he's exceptional positionally and that is more important than making "the big hit", which seems to be some sort of pre-requisite to be a forward in Philadelphia. Christ, this franchise could have had Gretzky and some people would still be all pissy.

Old
05-12-2011, 11:24 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
But then you would be able to watch more hockey, which I enjoy. During the season I would tune in for some of the late games to see the WC teams play. It gives you a good balance to what other teams/players look like and how they measure against the home team.

Because I live in Boston I have to listen to the blowhards around here chat up about the Bruins who I crushed all season. But what I did witness was the transformation of that team after they brought Peverly(for Wheeler) and Kelly(draft picks), and Kaberle(wasted trade but they needed to get a puck moving d-man). No blockbuster moves but their play was intensified by getting back to basics: skating, finishing hits, being a PIA to play against, backing up your teammates, and playing for the coach.

Things I saw lacking from this team down the stretch and in the playoffs.
I don't have time to watch many more games than I do now. I watch Vancouver a bit on Saturday since they're usually the second half of the double header but that's it.

Old
05-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
If only they'd had stellar goaltending, they'd have been darn near unbeatable.

Oh wait.

Not if they play like they did in the playoffs and before. You seem to neglect the fact that this team struggled over the last 20 games. It was not "being tired" or whatever excuse you want to give, it is because the team on the ice did not skate hard enough, win the little battles to win like they did when they "flipped the switch" early in the season. Maybe I am in the minority here regarding some players but overall you cannot deny the fact this team checked out before the playoffs and the quotes back that up.

Don't blame the goalies for the lack of physical play and ability to mark men in the open spots of the ice. This is maybe where you and people like myself go the opposite way, I am not willing to give the core the excuse of losing because IMO they did not come prepared to play when it counted. Period.

Old
05-12-2011, 03:44 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I can't believe how people can be so blind when it comes to Carter. Big deal, he hasn't had the best playoff performances early in his career. There were a lot of other good players who hadn't had good playoff performances either early in their career. One of the greatest Soo Greyhounds of all time, Ron Francis, didn't have a stellar playoff performance either his first 33 games (he only had 22 points and was a minus player).

The Carter hate is real old. I don't get why nobody is happy that the Flyers have a centerman capable of scoring 40 goals and playing stellar defense on top of it. He might not be the most physical player in the world, but he's exceptional positionally and that is more important than making "the big hit", which seems to be some sort of pre-requisite to be a forward in Philadelphia. Christ, this franchise could have had Gretzky and some people would still be all pissy.
It is not hate, it is called utilizing your resources. If you could get a legit #1 RW prospect to step in today and two #1 picks, plus use that cap space to sign Bryzgalov would you do it?

I hope you would.

Old
05-12-2011, 04:04 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
It is not hate, it is called utilizing your resources. If you could get a legit #1 RW prospect to step in today and two #1 picks, plus use that cap space to sign Bryzgalov would you do it?

I hope you would.
The thing is, it's not a guarantee to get that kind of return. Look at what big ticket players have gone for the past few years and I have not seen one player land: a legit #1 prospect and two first round picks. I haven't.

If anything Carter might land a blue chip prospect and a number 1, but that's being generous. If you take a look at most teams, who out there is willing to give that? Exactly.

It's very easy to say "oh, just deal Carter." But it's another thing to find a fair value deal for him. The Flyers aren't in a position of strength to move a big ticket contact. That's the reality of it.

Closed Thread