HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

OUTLANDER (Starz)

Old
08-01-2014, 01:08 AM
sandman441

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to sandman441
OUTLANDER (Starz)

So I got an email a few weeks back for a preview thing for this show. I didnt know what it was so I was like cool. They were going to have bagpipe music, free concessions and prizes given away.

So I found out today its a series of books geared towards women which I had no idea but when I arrived there was already about 5 women in line (I got there 30 minutes early) so I wait about an hour to check in and what not. They were doing the bagpipe music outside and you could get your picture taken with the bagpipe dudes, or a cutout of one of the main characters.

So I got checked in got my raffle ticket and a coupon for a free small popcorn and junior drink which if purchased was $10 and completely ridiculous but I got it for free.

Before the show they did the prizes, they gave away about 4 tablets and about 4 phones (HTC ones which I won) and a picnic basket filled with stuff from the show and also a picnic blanket that said outlander on it. Alot of prizes people were kind of shocked.

Ok sorry about that but I had to put all of that in the post.

The show is based on the book series of which I have no idea of the name, my best guess is Outlander but not sure. It's about a girl and her husband in 1945. They go to Scotland for a second honeymoon and somehow she gets time traveled back to 1743.

I only saw the first episode so far not sure if she travels back or not. I thought the show was ok I wouldnt say the show is female only but does slant that way at times so far atleast. I wasnt a huge fan of the dialogue there were a few moments that were kind of cheesy but for a first year show thats usually to be expected the writing should get better over time.

The scenery was awesome, I did see a tv-14 cut so not sure what they all cut out but people were laughing at the sex scene because it blurred out her butt.

overall though it wasnt as bad as I was expecting it to be and I think it starts on the first of August.

sandman441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 11:13 AM
archangel archangel

vCash: 157
Just bought the book and plan and reading it before the series starts--did not realize that it was part of like a 8 book series

archangel archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 11:17 AM
Blueline Bomber
1st Overall Pick

We have your woman, Outlander!

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 12:45 PM
Lady Scarlet

I read Outlander (the first book in the series) way back before anyone even knew who Diana Gabaldon (author) even was. Thoroughly enjoyed the book.

As the central character is a woman, it's only reasonable that it probably appeals far more to women than to men. It's romantic fiction with many historical details.

I read the next 4 books and then quit as the writing changed. By the time I had finished reading the third book I knew I was pretty much done but persevered because I quite liked Claire and Jamie...

I'm up in the air about watching the miniseries..... it doesn't air here until Aug. 24th...... I'd hate to see the miniseries (and some director's vision of Outlander) splashed across the screen and give people an impression of the book that isn't so. I've always favoured book over screen in most cases of really enjoyable books. There is the rare exception to that rule but 9 times out of 10, the book is ALWAYS better.

Lady Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 01:08 PM
sandman441

Send a message via Yahoo to sandman441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Scarlet View Post
I'm up in the air about watching the miniseries..... it doesn't air here until Aug. 24th...... I'd hate to see the miniseries (and some director's vision of Outlander) splashed across the screen and give people an impression of the book that isn't so. I've always favoured book over screen in most cases of really enjoyable books. There is the rare exception to that rule but 9 times out of 10, the book is ALWAYS better.

Just from the reaction from the ladies in the theatre after the show ended they definately wanted more. I have no idea if its different that from the book but I think most shows that are based on books stray pretty far from the book most of the time.

sandman441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2014, 11:45 PM
Daynz
What!?!

I started reading the series about 15 years ago. I love it. I even have the "Outlandish Companion V.1". It was a birthday gift from a friend. I'm probably going to hate the show.

Last edited by Daynz: 08-02-2014 at 11:50 PM.
Daynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2014, 12:35 AM
Psycho Dad

vCash: 610
Watched the premiere with the wife today. She's been a fan of the books forever.

It's a decent show. The female lead is a strong character. The writing is strong. The scenery is gorgeous. Better than just about every chick show that she's watched in the past few years.

We'll continue to tune in.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2014, 04:01 PM
Lord Moriarty007
Avs/Bolts Fan

Here is the trailer from comic con

First Episode here

Lord Moriarty007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2014, 12:06 PM
Lord Moriarty007
Avs/Bolts Fan

Great show and it get got a renewed for a second season. tts a great mature historical action romance. I worried that this season has 16 episodes. How are they going to keep it so good. For a romance show based of a book. I really enjoy it and I'm a male.

It got renewed!

Old
08-17-2014, 12:41 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Yeah, I was wondering if 16 eps might have been too many, but I like the pacing of the first two eps so far.

Old
08-25-2014, 09:56 AM
Lady Scarlet

Got to watch the premiere last night and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. I'm not always a fan of miniseries taken from books but this was well done. I hope they can keep it up

I was a little concerned about the casting for the roles of Jamie and Claire but they have done a masterful job of filling those roles......... not Hollywood fluff which is what I was afraid of. The search for the actors to play those two lead roles was a long one but they stayed true to the characters by picking Caitriona Balfe and Sam Heughan.

Lady Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2014, 01:52 PM
Richard

I have to say, I am a middle age gentlemen and I thoroughly enjoy this show. I find it's history pretty damn accurate (pet peeve of mine) and the settling is outstanding. Scotland is beautiful. 18th century Scotland is a hub of interesting times, places, and personas.

Very good show, highly recommended!

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2014, 12:49 PM
Lord Moriarty007
Avs/Bolts Fan

The midseason finale is on this week end. The rest will come out sometime next year. This show really turned out to be a sleeper hit for me. I enjoying it a lot. I didn't like the Strain and Doctor Who is having a hard time to get its footing.

Old
12-02-2014, 02:38 PM
Lord Moriarty007
Avs/Bolts Fan

First look at the second half of the season.

Last edited by Lord Moriarty007: 02-14-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Old
03-14-2015, 12:38 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

never heard of this before but just happened to watch the 1st episode as I thought it looked interesting as a bit of a history buff. So far so good, will keep watching for now.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2015, 08:51 AM
Lord Moriarty007
Avs/Bolts Fan

The season came back on last night. It was weird because it was in Jamie's perspective. Tobias Menzies is so good as Captain Jack Randall!

From Denver, Colorado now live in Orlando, FL
Getting my History Major at University of Central Florida.
Steam and PSN tag:LordMoriarty007
Xbox Live Gamertag is Lord Moriarty007
Old
04-05-2015, 01:09 PM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

I resisted this show when my wife started watching, but it is gorgeously filmed and extremely well done.

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2015, 05:03 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I liked season 1 for the most part, it's well done. As a big Ronald D. Moore fan I will keep watching.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2015, 02:47 PM
M00se

I started watching it with the wife, and I agree with the beauty of the landscapes, the historical accuracy and for the most part it's well written. However, I lost interest near the midway point. I found myself liking Claire less and less as the season went on, enough so that I was getting bored at the show overall. I didn't finish the season and it has ended up as one of the few shows we don't both watch.

M00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2015, 04:00 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by M00se View Post
I started watching it with the wife, and I agree with the beauty of the landscapes, the historical accuracy and for the most part it's well written. However, I lost interest near the midway point. I found myself liking Claire less and less as the season went on, enough so that I was getting bored at the show overall. I didn't finish the season and it has ended up as one of the few shows we don't both watch.
yep-- that is them problem I have