HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Comparing Our Bottom 6 Forwards to SJ/Det

Old
05-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Frightened Inmate #2

vCash: 500
I know it doesn't need to be stated but right now I really miss Malholtra, I think that he would be the dealbreaker in one of these series from the bottom six perspective...

A completely healthy lineup would look something like this in my opinion

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Kesler - Higgens
Torres - Malholtra - Hansen
Glass - Lapierre - Samuelsson

That in my opinion would be an amazing lineup and it just shows how one or two injuries can really make or break a season. But no use in beating a dead horse.

Frightened Inmate #2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 12:37 PM
Canucker1958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauser View Post
Not really. If not for Ryan Kesler we probably don't win the Nashville series...
Not buying it.

Kesler did allow us to give experience to our lesser players, such as Hodgson and Rome, and also to rest other players.

We could have fielded a better lineup at any time, we just didn't need to.

NOTE: Not knocking Hodgson, but he has only played ~15 NHL games total. Not knocking Rome, for a perennial AHLer, he is playing very well.

Canucker1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 12:43 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

remember our first detroit game of the year, when torres was skating around like the tazmanian devil and the wings' d was basically giving him the puck so he wouldn't hit them?

or when he was in edmonton and singlehandedly changed the complexion of the series when he destroyed michalek?

if we can get that torres back, i think our bottom six can at least hang with the other two teams, even if they don't score (m)any goals.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 12:48 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frightened Inmate #2 View Post
I know it doesn't need to be stated but right now I really miss Malholtra, I think that he would be the dealbreaker in one of these series from the bottom six perspective...

A completely healthy lineup would look something like this in my opinion

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Kesler - Higgens
Torres - Malholtra - Hansen
Glass - Lapierre - Samuelsson

That in my opinion would be an amazing lineup and it just shows how one or two injuries can really make or break a season. But no use in beating a dead horse.
sigh. with no injuries and a reasonable coach:

sedin sedin burrows
higgins kesler samuelsson
raymond malhotra hansen
torres lapierre oreskovich

edler ehrhoff
hamhuis bieksa
ballard salo

but then what team ever gets to go through the playoffs with their best lineup? hard to feel sorry for ourselves with third round hockey coming up.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 12:51 PM
dingdong

I don't know if we've already forgotten the Chicago series... but Torres-Lapierre-Hansen raised hell against the Hawks many times. There were some memorable shifts where the intense forechecking effort kept the puck in the O zone for 2 or 3 minutes. Not so much against Nashville... but I think in the next series we'll see more of that if that line is kept intact.

dingdong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 01:27 PM
Momesso

^^^

I like that line too, and a 4th line that I think could bring some speed and a strong physical forecheck would be:

Tambellini-Glass-Oreskovich

Good speed on the wings and Glass is an adequate #4 centre, and offers a little more of what I think would be effective against either the Sharks or the Wings.

I do (of course) like Hodgson more as an overall hockey player, I just think Glass' size and grit will suit the 4th line better.

Momesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 03:24 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

I wonder if there's any chance Shirokov gets in. 7 goals and 10 points in 14 Moose games before they lost.

(BTW Tanev led the team in +/- in the playoffs, +7!!!)

Also apparently Lack is joining the Canucks for the rest of the playoffs after his ridiculous Moose #'s. 1.99 GAA, 0.935 Save% in the playoffs for the Moose.

Last edited by LickTheEnvelope: 05-11-2011 at 03:30 PM.
LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 03:40 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Also apparently Lack is joining the Canucks for the rest of the playoffs after his ridiculous Moose #'s. 1.99 GAA, 0.935 Save% in the playoffs for the Moose.
Just speculation of course, but I wonder if Lack being called up lends anything to the possibility that Gillis trades CS before next season. Maybe they want to get a closer look at him in practices and get more of a sense of his character and how he carries himself off and on the ice.

Was Schneider called up once his first pro season was finished?

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 05:52 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Nope, as the Canucks missed the playoffs that year, who went on draft Cody Hodgson who, IMO, should be 4th line C. Glass just hasn't brought anything to the table so far these playoffs. He's likely injured, but in that case a line of Tambo-Hodgson-Oreskovich could be an effective line.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Just speculation of course, but I wonder if Lack being called up lends anything to the possibility that Gillis trades CS before next season. Maybe they want to get a closer look at him in practices and get more of a sense of his character and how he carries himself off and on the ice.

This always happens with goalies. If you let Lack go into offseason mode then you're screwed if Luongo or Schneider get injured. That's all there is to it.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 06:16 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
This always happens with goalies. If you let Lack go into offseason mode then you're screwed if Luongo or Schneider get injured. That's all there is to it.
Pretty much.

I think there is an excellent chance CS is traded at the draft anyway, because his one year left at 900k after such an excellent season probably means his trade value is as high as it will ever be. Given that, it seems prudent to move him now and bring in a veteran to battle with Lack for the back-up spot. I don't think the move to bring up Lack has any bearing on this, however.

But if Tanev is called up it might have some bearing on Ballard's #8 spot on the depth chart.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 07:10 PM
The Big Foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Pretty much.

I think there is an excellent chance CS is traded at the draft anyway, because his one year left at 900k after such an excellent season probably means his trade value is as high as it will ever be. Given that, it seems prudent to move him now and bring in a veteran to battle with Lack for the back-up spot. I don't think the move to bring up Lack has any bearing on this, however.

But if Tanev is called up it might have some bearing on Ballard's #8 spot on the depth chart.
Well whatever team gets CS at that cap hit next year is pretty damn lucky. He could definitely play at the level Crawford played at this for Chicago (very solid, 30+ straight starts, almost stole the VAN series IMO). All at less than a million?? That's a great asset and Gillis should approach it as dealing from a position of great strength. We don't need to trade him at all and letting him go could strengthen a rival team greatly.

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Thing is, Tanev looked at his best here when was paired up *with* Ballard this past season. They seemed to work well off each other.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 11:06 AM
rban*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeslerKrony View Post
Top 5 Players in the Bottom 6's are IMO Pavelski, Hansen, Draper, Wellwood, and Filppula.

Discuss.
Pavelski is individually head and shoulders above the rest, actually he is clearly a Top 6 on the third line due to Sharks depth.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 11:11 AM
rban*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
As others have said, I think our defensive depth will come into play here. Having guys like Salo out against the other teams 3rd line really gives us an edge.
EXcept AV destroys all our defensive depth by engaging in sone grudge vs Ballard and not playing him.

SInce both WIngs and SHarks have good third lines, would be good to be able to deploy Salo-Ballard against that,

Is that how Nucks season will end? They lose cuz the idiot coach refuses to play a really good Dman vs their third line?

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 08:48 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Thing is, Tanev looked at his best here when was paired up *with* Ballard this past season. They seemed to work well off each other.
Unfortunately, we all know that just isn't going to happen.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 03:48 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Just wanted to say a couple things and then leave in peace...

1. You'll be surprised at how much Pavelski can make Wellwood and Mitchell into really dangerous threats.

2. Fourth line will likely be Eager-Nichol-Ferriero(24 y/o kid with some talent, but more suited for a grinder type of role) but they do not play often cuz they bloody suck.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 09:23 AM
tantalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehJuxtaposer View Post

1. You'll be surprised at how much Pavelski can make Wellwood and Mitchell into really dangerous threats.

2. Fourth line will likely be Eager-Nichol-Ferriero(24 y/o kid with some talent, but more suited for a grinder type of role) but they do not play often cuz they bloody suck.
Yep. This will likely be a 3 line series for both teams. And honestly, the three lines match up pretty darn well. Keys will be if Clowe can fully recover and if Henrik can fully recover. If Henrik can't get some of his foot speed back they will struggle on the defensive side of things.

Sharks and Canuck fans...sit back and enjoy what should be a great series.

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 01:29 PM
Rem
PbP is what I spit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehJuxtaposer View Post

I would just like to include that Wellwood has been playing amazing, even without support from Pavs. The guy has been an excellent playmaker. He's been like a Chinese knock-off of Datsyuk

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 04:48 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
Pavelski is individually head and shoulders above the rest, actually he is clearly a Top 6 on the third line due to Sharks depth.
I still like to think that one day soon (Next year or the year after) Hodgson is going to be good enough to be our 2nd line C. Then we get to make Kesler our 3rd line C and include him in the bottom 6.

Sedins/Burrows
Raymond/Hodgson/Sammy,Rodin,Schroeder,FA?
Manny/Kes/Hansen

Dare to dream people.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 04:54 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
I still like to think that one day soon (Next year or the year after) Hodgson is going to be good enough to be our 2nd line C. Then we get to make Kesler our 3rd line C and include him in the bottom 6.

Sedins/Burrows
Raymond/Hodgson/Sammy,Rodin,Schroeder,FA?
Manny/Kes/Hansen

Dare to dream people.
There is absolutely no way in any reality that Kesler becomes a 3rd line centre unless he regresses horribly. He's a 40g 75 point centre right now. Those are first line numbers. Everything he does blows Pavelski out of the water at this point, so I don't even seem them as comparables.

If Hodgson miraculously developed into a 90 point centre way quicker than he conceivably should (I see a Sedin-like development curve for him if we're lucky), Kesler would become a winger on the 1st or 2nd line and still take a gangload of draws.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 05:09 PM
Scurr

Quote:
There is absolutely no way in any reality that Kesler becomes a 3rd line centre unless he regresses horribly. He's a 40g 75 point centre right now. Those are first line numbers. Everything he does blows Pavelski out of the water at this point, so I don't even seem them as comparables.

If Hodgson miraculously developed into a 90 point centre way quicker than he conceivably should (I see a Sedin-like development curve for him if we're lucky), Kesler would become a winger on the 1st or 2nd line and still take a gangload of draws.
I didn't explain my thinking very well. Kesler is never going to play behind Hodgson. My thinking was that Hodgson plays well enough (Like Couture has) to be on a scoring type line letting Kesler continue to be our shutdown guy. If he Kesler plays against the other teams top line, he's going to be getting 1st line minutes.

The advantage to this over having Manny as our shutdown centre is that Kes can bring offense while shutting guys down. Rather than hoping Manny can play the other teams first line even, Kesler can play it plus against just about anyone IMO.

Also, Pavelski and Kesler are very good comparables. They play a very similar game. Pavelski doesn't have Kesler's size and speed combination (a poor mans Kesler if you will) but he does the same things for the sharks. Plays two ways, there best penalty killer, plays first PP.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote