HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Timonen to meet with Homer - Why?

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2011, 10:42 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
On second glance... Carle was +30 in the regular season, so there is something fishy here. Prongerwas also a plus player...
I...didnt notice that till you pointed it out.

Old
05-13-2011, 11:03 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
On second glance... Carle was +30 in the regular season, so there is something fishy here. Prongerwas also a plus player...
Yes, sorry I mixed up the final +/- of Carle from playoffs and regular season.

-8 playoff instead of +30 regular (I mathed it out instead of counting it)

So he is +16 and +14 instead of +16 and -24.

Old
05-13-2011, 11:58 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Let's look at this.

Pronger can be paired with pretty much anyone.
Timonen can be paired with pretty much anyone.
Coburn can be paired with pretty much anyone but Carle.
Mezsaros can be paired with pretty much anyone but Carle.
Carle needs to be paired with Pronger or he looks like complete *******.

One of these things is not like the others.
Homer brought in Meszaros for defensive depth and who cares if Carle can be paired with only Pronger, which is not necessarily true. We want to look at a guy who led the team in assists on defense as a disposable piece of the defensive depth? Hey, I am not against moving Carle if Gustafsson is ready to step in on the 3rd pairing but there were times this year handling significant minutes that Carle was one of the best d-men on a nightly basis.

Old
05-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Homer brought in Meszaros for defensive depth and who cares if Carle can be paired with only Pronger, which is not necessarily true. We want to look at a guy who led the team in assists on defense as a disposable piece of the defensive depth? Hey, I am not against moving Carle if Gustafsson is ready to step in on the 3rd pairing but there were times this year handling significant minutes that Carle was one of the best d-men on a nightly basis.
Not really... he's always a turnover machine, he's extremely weak physically defensively, and he isn't even an effective PPQB (if he was good in that role, a lot of sins could be forgiven).

He certainly can push the play and pick up some offensive numbers on a team like this, but that also leads to some of his drawbacks.

Old
05-13-2011, 12:04 PM
ShotScore*

Quote:
To add to this, why would be looking to replace Carle first, when Timonen is 37 with a 6.333 mil cap hit who just got done having an absolutely atrocious playoffs?

It's Timonen who needs to be replaced first. That should be our second priority only after signing Bryz.

Old
05-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
What the ****??!!

Do you have any idea how lucky Flyers fans are to have an owner who is passionate about the game and the team? At no time have Flyers fans ever had the slightest concern about the team leaving. They're in very small company there.
Do you mean the senile old man with the trophy wife? Part of the problem of why the Flyers are such a fraternity is due to Snider.

And the 2nd part about leaving is wrong, they were in negotiations to move the team to Camden in the early 1990's. Ed Snider is a good guy, but as an owner he needs to take a step back and relinquish the reigns. Unfortunately Luukko is a bum, so I am not really all that happy with how thigns lie at this time. I would actually prefer to have another ownership come in and take over. I cannot stand Comcast.

Old
05-13-2011, 12:08 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
Are you talking about Mike Richards leading the team in holding hands and singing Kumbaya? Why would Timmo be angry at that?

But seriously, it must drive a veteran like Timonen crazy to see the team "led" by kids. Maybe he would be better traded than a guy like Carle.

Last edited by CanadianFlyer88: 05-13-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Do you mean the senile old man with the trophy wife? Part of the problem of why the Flyers are such a fraternity is due to Snider.

And the 2nd part about leaving is wrong, they were in negotiations to move the team to Camden in the early 1990's. Ed Snider is a good guy, but as an owner he needs to take a step back and relinquish the reigns. Unfortunately Luukko is a bum, so I am not really all that happy with how thigns lie at this time. I would actually prefer to have another ownership come in and take over. I cannot stand Comcast.
I swear man. If it were possible, you would make this team up of a bunch of 30-40 year olds.

Old
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Not really... he's always a turnover machine, he's extremely weak physically defensively, and he isn't even an effective PPQB (if he was good in that role, a lot of sins could be forgiven).

He certainly can push the play and pick up some offensive numbers on a team like this, but that also leads to some of his drawbacks.
Once again, Carle is part of the defensive depth that Homer was so adament about putting together last season, thus why he traded Gagne and his salary and replaced it with Meszaros and Walker. Considering Pronger and Timonen are no longer "young", keeping the depth and getting a goalie is the smary thigns to do at this time.

Old
05-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I swear man. If it were possible, you would make this team up of a bunch of 30-40 year olds.
????????? Says who? Please cite a post where I said this team needs to be made up of a bunch of 40 year olds?

Old
05-13-2011, 12:13 PM
Jester

Quote:
Once again, Carle is part of the defensive depth that Homer was so adament about putting together last season, thus why he traded Gagne and his salary and replaced it with Meszaros and Walker. Considering Pronger and Timonen are no longer "young", keeping the depth and getting a goalie is the smary thigns to do at this time.
We aren't going to be able to keep Carle past next season most likely anyway... and I don't think he's really a "strength" on this team either. He can accumulate some nice stats, and certainly has his pluses, but he turns into a MASSIVE liability far too quickly.

Old
05-13-2011, 12:13 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
????????? Says who? Please cite a post where I said this team needs to be made up of a bunch of 40 year olds?

I was talking about the whole fraternity thing. If the guys arent doing hockey 24/7, you seem to get pretty mad.

Old
05-13-2011, 12:14 PM
Jester

Quote:
I was talking about the whole fraternity thing. If the guys arent doing hockey 24/7, you seem to get pretty mad.
Do we really think a bunch of 20-30 y/o, single guys aren't going to have a "fraternity" thing going on? Is there a single team in the NHL that doesn't have a fraternity atmosphere to a certain extent?

Old
05-13-2011, 12:14 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotScore View Post
To add to this, why would be looking to replace Carle first, when Timonen is 37 with a 6.333 mil cap hit who just got done having an absolutely atrocious playoffs?

It's Timonen who needs to be replaced first. That should be our second priority only after signing Bryz.
Timonen is one of the better defenseman in the conference, if not league (note: I didn't say best). Carle can pass the puck to a guy wearing the same colour shirt as he does.

Yeah... getting rid of Timonen makes a lot of sense. Yes, Timonen played through injuries and had a poor playoffs. What did Carle have? I recall a number of goals where Carle was standing nearby watching it happen.

The Flyers would have been in a world of hurt this year if Timonen isn't back there.

Old
05-13-2011, 12:15 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Let's just trade everyone with skill and leadership abilities. Blow up the team. That's an appropriate response to everyone having a subpar playoff performance, right? Snider should probably sell the team and have it moved to kansas city while he's at it. The overreactions in here are mindblowing.

Old
05-13-2011, 12:20 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Do we really think a bunch of 20-30 y/o, single guys aren't going to have a "fraternity" thing going on? Is there a single team in the NHL that doesn't have a fraternity atmosphere to a certain extent?
I guess some people here think they should be close in's if their not playing hockey. Not talk to each other, and obviously not go out and have a good time after everything is done. Their professionals! They should be robotic, have no emotion, and just play hockey/workout every single day, all day long.

Every team and their young players go out and have a good time (in every single sport). Ovechkin, Green, Semin, etc all go out and have a good time. Supposedly OV is a huge partyer (from what some Caps fans say)

Old
05-13-2011, 12:20 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Look at who the remaining teams are led by - all "old" guys with over ten years experience.

Seems to me it is okay to have young fellows on your roster but your leadership really needs to be veterans.

So it seems like it would be good to keep Timonen, but only if he doesn't need to feel like he's struggling against inferior leaders.

Old
05-13-2011, 12:22 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
I guess some people here think they should be close in's if their not playing hockey. Not talk to each other, and obviously not go out and have a good time. Their professionals!

Every team and their young players go out and have a good time (in every single sport). Ovechkin, Green, Semin, etc all go out and have a good time. Supposedly OV is a huge partyer (from what some Caps fans say)
I dare say the Caps are hardly the model anyone should want to embrace.

Old
05-13-2011, 12:23 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
I dare say the Caps are hardly the model anyone would want to embrace.
Tell me a team where the 20-30 yr old players dont go out and have a good time?

Old
05-13-2011, 12:23 PM
Jester

Quote:
I guess some people here think they should be close in's if their not playing hockey. Not talk to each other, and obviously not go out and have a good time. Their professionals!

Obviously you can go too far with partying, but the fraternity thing is just a friggin fact of life. Put a bunch of young guys into a closed environment for a long period of time, and you're going to get a fraternity environment (note: this is why the American colonies were such a *ing mess socially in the early period...). Especially when they're young and rich. Just because they're hockey players doesn't mean they cease to be human.

When they start to get married, have kids, etc. the situation will alter itself.

Old
05-13-2011, 12:24 PM
Jester

Quote:
Chicago is a bunch of puritan monks. Truth.

Old
05-13-2011, 12:25 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Look at who the remaining teams are led by - all "old" guys with over ten years experience.

Seems to me it is okay to have young fellows on your roster but your leadership really needs to be veterans.

So it seems like it would be good to keep Timonen, but only if he doesn't need to feel like he's struggling against inferior leaders.
Your kidding right? Kreji isnt important to Boston? Couture for SJ? Stamkos for TB? The Sedin's/Kesler for Van?

Each of these teams are split in half with older and younger guys. I guess the only team not as young as the others is the SJ (with guys like Thorton and Mar on the team)

Old
05-13-2011, 12:28 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Chicago is a bunch of puritan monks. Truth.
I heard that Kane kid is either helping out the elderly everyday or some other kind of charity work. He never goes out.

Old
05-13-2011, 12:31 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
I'm just saying that if you want to point to a team where the veterans party and still remain focused enough to get the job done come springtime, well then Washington is kind of the wrong place to look.

Old
05-13-2011, 12:34 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Your kidding right? Kreji isnt important to Boston? Couture for SJ? Stamkos for TB? The Sedin's/Kesler for Van?

Each of these teams are split in half with older and younger guys. I guess the only team not as young as the others is the SJ (with guys like Thorton and Mar on the team)
The Sedins aren't young. San Jose's leadership and nucleus is older. Chara is in his twelfth year, something like that. Tampa are led by veterans like St. Louis and Lacavalier and Randy Jones.

Our "nucleus" and "leadership" are fellas like Richards and Carter.

Not good enough.

Closed Thread