HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Richards News Part II

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2011, 10:54 AM
lundy

vCash: 500
Anyone against signing Richards is foolish to me. As far back as I can remember the two major needs of this team have been a true 1st line center and a power play qb. Can we at least get one?

Old
05-18-2011, 10:58 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post
Anyone against signing Richards is foolish to me. As far back as I can remember the two major needs of this team have been a true 1st line center and a power play qb. Can we at least get one?
This team has a lot more than two major needs, and you want to throw all of our available resources at one of them, so we have nothing left to address any of the other needs. Got it.

Foolish is in the eye of the beholder.

Old
05-18-2011, 11:02 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post
Richards solves both problems actually, as he has QBed the PP in Dallas.

I'm all for signing BR. The way he plays the game isn't conducive to breaking down in the same way Drury has for us. Let him bring Stepan along over the course of his contract, and we might be setup for years with a top-line center. BR is the type of player that Stepan can be if he reaches his potential, and it would help greatly to have that kind of guy as his mentor.

Even at the end of a 5 year contract, I can't see BR being any less than a 60 point player unless something catastophic happens. It is worth the risk to sign this guy. Players of his caliber almost never become available. The path to becoming contenders starts with signing BR.

Old
05-18-2011, 11:05 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
His magic? Seriously? His magic? Like how Sather 'magically' made Redden, Gomez, Drury, etc, appear by 'magically' paying them the most money?
Well the Gomez trade was pure magic. However you can't give him too much credit for cleaning up his own mess. Put himself in a bad position.

Old
05-18-2011, 11:06 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
The facts? Brad Richards is on the wrong side of 30. Thats the FACT.
True.

Quote:
I never said I dont want the guy or that he isnt a great player. How many more great seasons does he have left in him?
St. Louis will be 36 in a month. Datsyuk will be 33 in 2 months. Iginla will be 34 in 2 months. Selanne will be 41 in 2 months. Thornton will be 32 in 2 months. Briere is 33. Rebiero just turned 31. Marleau is 31. Zetterberg is 30. The Sedins are 30.

They are all on the wrong side of 30 and still producing at high levels.

Richards just turned 31 and is coming off a season of 28g and 49a in 72 games. Dubi led the team this year in goals and assists with 24g and 30a in 77 games. Do you really see Richards dropping off that much within the next 4 or 5 years? If he's still a 60 point player in year 5, that's still worth it, considering we had no players reach 60 points this year (yes, Callahan would have if he didn't get injured).

Quote:
The Rangers management is going to have make multiple moves just to fit Brad Richards under the cap.
False. Buying out one of Drury or Wolski will give us enough cap space, along with the cap going up, to afford Richards. Go to capgeek and do the math yourself. We buy them both out and we can add someone on the back end too.

Quote:
And I'm not saying the same will happen for richards, but you never know because when you get on the wrong side of 30 in the NHL your numbers start to dip. Is he going to be worth the huge salary? Maybe, maybe not. Some players in hockey can play til their late 30s. But not many do. And the ones that do, dont provide much like they used to for obvious reasons.
Is there a chance that he won't be worth his contract at some point? Absolutely. There are no guarantees. But if we want to be a contending team, we have to take the chance.

Quote:
I think you should relax before you post and put words in my mouth. Acknowledge the fact that Richards will be 31 and we are currently in cap hell.
Cap hell? Our cap situation is actually pretty good, all things considered. Redden is the only real problem, and he's only a problem during the summer.

Old
05-18-2011, 11:09 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
But we don't really have many small needs. We have a big gaping hole.
Wrong, we have many small needs AND some major needs. Using all of your resources to address one thing gets you nowhere.

Old
05-18-2011, 11:14 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
This team has a lot more than two major needs, and you want to throw all of our available resources at one of them, so we have nothing left to address any of the other needs. Got it.

If the team has a lot more than two major needs, please name them. I don't see any gaps to be filled with the addition of those two holes. You'd have an elite goalscorer, an elite first line center, a shutdown top D pairing, a really solid 2nd pairing in Sauer and McDonagh, secondary scoring and a good second line with any of the following players rounding out the top 6 after Gaborik and Richards (Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov, Stepan, Kreider, Grachev, Wolski, Prospal, Boyle) and a more than capable bottom 6 that has some of the better bottom 6 players in the league in Prust and Boyle. Goaltending is obvious.

So please, what other holes are you talking about, especially ones that would be hard to fill????

Old
05-18-2011, 11:15 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Wrong, we have many small needs AND some major needs. Using all of your resources to address one thing gets you nowhere.
Again, you say we have small needs but fail to list any.

Old
05-18-2011, 11:18 AM
azrok22

Quote:
We're going to have to agree to disagree, because I do not see "many small needs" on this roster. We have great depth, and a good amount of prospects on the cusp of contributing additional depth. In fact, given the depth we have, we don't even have the roster spots available to fill many small needs.

I view the Rangers positional needs as fivefold:

1) #1C
2) PP QB
3) 2nd/3rd line LW (both if Wolski is bought out)
4) Puck moving defensman for bottom pair
5) Physical defenseman for bottom pair

Richards fills both slots #1 and #2. Del Zotto may fill slot number 3, and possibly slot #2 as soon as this season. Wolski, Kreider, Hagelin, Prospal/Fedotenko, Grachev, or another smaller UFA acquisition can fill slot(s) #3. Valentenko may fill slot #4 as soon as this season.

Keep in mind that no roster is flawless, but what are these "many small needs" you see on this roster? I see 2 (#1 and #2 above) that absolutely must be filled for us to compete, with the others of secondary importance and very possibly already filled from within our organization.

Dubinsky - XXX - Gaborik
Wolski/XXX - Stepan/Anisimov - Callahan
XXX/Wolski - Anisimov/Stepan - Zuccarello
Avery - Boyle - Prust

Staal - Girardi
McDonagh - Sauer
XXX - XXX

Old
05-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
If the team has a lot more than two major needs, please name them. I don't see any gaps to be filled with the addition of those two holes. You'd have an elite goalscorer, an elite first line center, a shutdown top D pairing, a really solid 2nd pairing in Sauer and McDonagh, secondary scoring and a good second line with any of the following players rounding out the top 6 after Gaborik and Richards (Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov, Stepan, Kreider, Grachev, Wolski, Prospal, Boyle) and a more than capable bottom 6 that has some of the better bottom 6 players in the league in Prust and Boyle. Goaltending is obvious.

So please, what other holes are you talking about, especially ones that would be hard to fill????
So you think after allocating $7.5 million for 6 years to Richards there will be no more holes to fill?

Old
05-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
The team as it stands now has enough depth to deal with the smaller needs.

The major needs, by far, are #1C and PP QB - both things that Richards clearly addresses.

I dont see what the problem is here.

Old
05-18-2011, 11:33 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
The team as it stands now has enough depth to deal with the smaller needs.

The major needs, by far, are #1C and PP QB - both things that Richards clearly addresses.

I dont see what the problem is here.
The problem is that there are so many needs that even if you do sign Brad Richards, you may not receive the same production out of him that we've seen the last few years...through no fault of his own. And that's BEFORE any potential decline because of age and/or injury concerns.

Old
05-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
The problem is that there are so many needs that even if you do sign Brad Richards, you may not receive the same production out of him that we've seen the last few years...through no fault of his own. And that's BEFORE any potential decline because of age and/or injury concerns.
Well if you're going to operate out of fear, then it'll be tough to change your mind.

It'll be even tougher to fill the big/important needs.

Old
05-18-2011, 11:46 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Richards has shown no signs of decline to this point. Why would anyone think that he's going to dramatically decline now? Like many players of his caliber and playing style, barring major injury, he is going to decline slowly. Combine that with his leadership ability and possible mentor to Stepan, and it makes all the sense in the world to sign him.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Players like this almost never become available. They all get locked up long-term and never even hit FA. He fills multiple holes on our roster, and knows what it takes to win a cup. Unless his contract demands are outrageous, he needs to be signed.

Old
05-18-2011, 11:49 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
Richards has shown no signs of decline to this point. Why would anyone think that he's going to dramatically decline now? Like many players of his caliber and playing style, barring major injury, he is going to decline slowly. Combine that with his leadership ability and possible mentor to Stepan, and it makes all the sense in the world to sign him.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Players like this almost never become available. They all get locked up long-term and never even hit FA. He fills multiple holes on our roster, and knows what it takes to win a cup. Unless his contract demands are outrageous, he needs to be signed.
Apparently you missed the first sentence in my post...since you only responded to the second.

Old
05-18-2011, 11:51 AM
bmw2004

Don't kill yourselfs when Rangers want sing him or he refuses to sign here.

Old
05-18-2011, 11:54 AM
TheRedViper

Quote:
So many needs?????? Our bottom 9 is set, top line RW is set, top 4 D is set, elite goalie in place, we have enough kids that are ready to take on a bottom pairing or
bottom 6 role on the Whale. So what does this giant list of small needs consist of?????

#1 center is far and away the biggest need on this team, if not Richards, how do you propose that we fill that position? I guarantee that all of your small 'needs' don't add up to th importance of the #1 center

Old
05-18-2011, 11:55 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Ok, this talk about Richards on the pp is overblown. Great he can be the qb, question: who's shooting?! Yeah Richards is pass first, so who's he setting up? Answer me that. And don't tell me Richards. I'm telling you now the pp will still be dysfunctional.

Old
05-18-2011, 11:56 AM
TheRedViper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2004 View Post
Don't kill yourselfs when Rangers want sing him or he refuses to sign here.
Solid contribution.

Old
05-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Well if you're going to operate out of fear, then it'll be tough to change your mind.

It'll be even tougher to fill the big/important needs.
Not sure where you're going with fear, but whatever. Fearful that Richards does not fill all of our needs? Like I said...whatever.

Thinking the Rangers have a lot of holes to fill is being realistic. Brad Richards does not fill them all and leaves no resources to address anything else.

Old
05-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Apparently you missed the first sentence in my post...since you only responded to the second.
And aren't you just a pleasant human being...

What you're really saying is that Richards won't put up the same numbers in NY that he did in Dallas. You're basing this on what if not age? Who did he play with in Dallas that bolstered his numbers soooooooo much that his numbers will drop? Linemates of Gaborik and Dubinsky will be comparable to whoever he was playing with in Dallas, and he will get loads of PP time. Please, I'm begging you to tell me where I'm wrong here.

Old
05-18-2011, 11:58 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
Ok, this talk about Richards on the pp is overblown. Great he can be the qb, question: who's shooting?! Yeah Richards is pass first, so who's he setting up? Answer me that. And don't tell me Richards. I'm telling you now the pp will still be dysfunctional.
This is what I meant whan I said to not be surprised if Richards's production goes down here, through no fault of his own.

Old
05-18-2011, 11:58 AM
TheRedViper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
So Richards didnt score 30 goals this year? Gaborik isn't a shooter? How about Callahan?

Old
05-18-2011, 12:00 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:

We have two major needs. Number 1 center and PPQB. The only other need that can possibly be construed as a major need is a PMD for the top defensive pairs. D-men better than Gilroy are hardly a major need and we can aquire one for cheap. Past that we have a very good bottom 9, a great shutdown top 4 and the best goalie in the NHL.

Old
05-18-2011, 12:00 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
So you think after allocating $7.5 million for 6 years to Richards there will be no more holes to fill?
The problem is never allocating that kind of money to one player, especially when a team drafts as well as we do.

The problem is allocating that money to players that aren't worth it. We have enough young players that aren't going to cost significant money to retain for awhile. Now's the time to go for it...before we need to lock in the Stepan's and Sauer's and McDonagh's and MZA's of the system to long term deals worth more money, let them walk, or let go of guys like Girardi.

What holes do you think are going to magically pop up? The hardest holes to fill are those of the top 6, top 4 D pairing and starting goaltender. We've got a significant number of those filled long-term.

Closed Thread