HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Richards News Part II

Closed Thread

Old
05-25-2011, 01:11 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Carolina is paying Brad Richards? Budget team Carolina is going to shell out $50M for Richards?

Status quo on the Dallas ownership situation

Quote:
But again, the owner will get a lot of say in that, so the look could change completely when a new owner takes over. By the way, no updates at this time as Tom Gaglardi's people continue to try to complete the mounds of paperwork necessary to get a signed purchase agreement. This is supposed to be a key week, but I have been told that the 30-day exclusive negotiating window can be extended.
http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...ith-alter.html

The 30 window is expiring any day now or already has expired. The reports from around 4 weeks ago indicated Gaglardi had the 30 day window. The completion of the purchase agreement will be followed by a 30-60 day bankruptcy process. Memorial Day is Monday. One less business day. June 1 is next Wednesday. July 1 is five weeks from this Friday. Nashville traded the rights to Dan Hamhuis 12 days before July 1. When does Nieuwendyk trade the rights to Richards. After the Hamhuis fiasco,teams will want some assurances Richards will sign with them before giving up an asset just to TALK with Richards. In other words,Richards controls this process just like he controlled the process in February.

Old
05-25-2011, 01:28 PM
OldStanley

Are teams allowed to give conditional no movement clauses?

Like a no movement clause, but if production falls below some threshold for a certain amount of games that clause dissolves?

Old
05-25-2011, 01:42 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldStanley View Post

Like a no movement clause, but if production falls below some threshold for a certain amount of games that clause dissolves?
i doubt a player would sign one if they did

defeats the pupose of the NMC

Old
05-25-2011, 01:45 PM
dbmaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldStanley View Post

In effect, that's a form of a bonus. "If you perform at X level you won't be able to be traded/moved..."
The CBA prohibits any type of performance bonus for contracts signed when a player is < 35 y.o. - so this wouldn't fly. (Not sure about entry level deals and perf. bonuses and can't look up right now).

Old
05-25-2011, 02:00 PM
OldStanley

Thanks, I've never seen one so I figured it was probably prohibited.

Old
05-27-2011, 04:18 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
While Richards might average $8 million on a shorter-term deal, my guess is that a team would only give-the 31-year-old a seven- or eight-year deal to keep the cap hit low. If he goes that long on the contract, I could see the cap hit closer to $6 million.

The problem with either situation is that I think the Stars would like Richards on a five-year deal for something less than $7 million. So hearing numbers like this seem to indicate that the Stars will not win a bidding war for Richards on July 1.
http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...d-go-thro.html

One more time.

8 years/$50M

11-12-$10M salary with $8M payed on July 1,2011. $2M salary the rest of the season.
12-13-$8M salary with $6M payed on July 1,2012. $2M salary the rest of the season. Any possible lockout still sees Richards make $6M guaranteed.
13-14-$8M salary
14-15-$7M salary
15-16-$7M salary
That is 5 years/$40M/$8M AAV

16-17-$5M salary
17-18-$3M salary
18-19-$2M salary

8 years/$50M in total. $6.25M cap hit.

No news on the Dallas ownership situation. A 30 day bankruptcy after the signed purchase agreement(if there will be one)leaves little if no time if this thing isn't done ASAP. The 30 day window for the purchased agreement is up. Free agency starts 5 weeks from today.

Old
05-27-2011, 04:24 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

One more time.

8 years/$50M

11-12-$10M salary with $8M payed on July 1,2011. $2M salary the rest of the season.
12-13-$8M salary with $6M payed on July 1,2012. $2M salary the rest of the season. Any possible lockout still sees Richards make $6M guaranteed.
13-14-$8M salary
14-15-$7M salary
15-16-$7M salary

16-17-$5M salary
17-18-$3M salary
18-19-$2M salary

8 years/$50M in total. $6.25M cap hit. Hits

No news on the Dallas ownership situation. A 30 day bankruptcy after the signed purchase agreement(if there will be one)leaves little if no time if this thing isn't done ASAP. The 30 day window for the purchased agreement is up. Free agency starts 5 weeks from today.
That would be the smart thing to do. The absence of a NMC through the last couple years of the deal, would be the gravy on top.

Unfortunately, Sather hasnt shown much of a penchant for lowering cap hits with longer term deals. I think the Rangers probably offer something like 6-7 years with a 7.5M hit per year.

Dallas is going to get laughed out of the bargaining room with a 5/30-35 offer.

Old
05-27-2011, 08:42 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

8 per is steep.

Old
05-27-2011, 08:46 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:

One more time.

8 years/$50M

13-14-$8M salary
14-15-$7M salary
15-16-$7M salary

16-17-$5M salary
17-18-$3M salary
18-19-$2M salary

8 years/$50M in total. $6.25M cap hit.

Even though its 8 years, if there is no NMC then that's fine. The cap hit is great.

The no NMC would allow us to be able to demote him or trade him if things aren't working later in the contract.

Richards is the right UFA imo. Now is the time.

Try to win with Lundqvist, Gaborik, Richards. And without sacrificing youth and future. Looks great to me.

Old
05-27-2011, 08:54 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
That would be the smart thing to do. The absence of a NMC through the last couple years of the deal, would be the gravy on top.

Unfortunately, Sather hasnt shown much of a penchant for lowering cap hits with longer term deals. I think the Rangers probably offer something like 6-7 years with a 7.5M hit per year.

Dallas is going to get laughed out of the bargaining room with a 5/30-35 offer.
That's probably about what it will be.

I like RangerBoy's proposal with the lower cap hit and no NMC.

Old
05-29-2011, 07:05 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Something should happen here with Richards soon. The Dallas ownership situation is in the same spot when the season ended 6 weeks ago. Free agency starts in 33 days. You would have to believe Dallas will trade the negotiating rights to Richards. Why will Richards re-sign in Dallas? He has spent the past year since July 1 waiting to negotiate an extension and waiting for the lenders to sell the team. Nothing has changed. The 30 day exclusive window for Gaglardi to have a signed purchase agreement has passed. Both signs probably agreed to an extension. Mike Heika wrote a few weeks ago,Gaglardi wouldn't become the Stars owner until late June at the earliest. That was with the signed purchase agreement completed in the last full week in May. A 30 or 60 day bankruptcy process will be required after the signed agreement. Just look at the calender. May 30 is Tuesday.

Philly acquired the rights to Hamhuis 6 days before the draft and then traded them to Pitt at the draft. Hamhuis didn't want to play in Pennsylvania. He wanted to play closer to home in Vancouver. The draft is 3 weeks from this Friday.

Old
05-29-2011, 09:15 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Something should happen here with Richards soon. The Dallas ownership situation is in the same spot when the season ended 6 weeks ago. Free agency starts in 33 days. You would have to believe Dallas will trade the negotiating rights to Richards. Why will Richards re-sign in Dallas? He has spent the past year since July 1 waiting to negotiate an extension and waiting for the lenders to sell the team. Nothing has changed. The 30 day exclusive window for Gaglardi to have a signed purchase agreement has passed. Both signs probably agreed to an extension. Mike Heika wrote a few weeks ago,Gaglardi wouldn't become the Stars owner until late June at the earliest. That was with the signed purchase agreement completed in the last full week in May. A 30 or 60 day bankruptcy process will be required after the signed agreement. Just look at the calender. May 30 is Tuesday.

Philly acquired the rights to Hamhuis 6 days before the draft and then traded them to Pitt at the draft. Hamhuis didn't want to play in Pennsylvania. He wanted to play closer to home in Vancouver. The draft is 3 weeks from this Friday.
I wonder what it would cost to get his rights? A conditional pick in the 2012 draft if he signs?

Old
05-29-2011, 09:16 AM
JeffMangum
I'm v

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
I wonder what it would cost to get his rights? A conditional pick in the 2012 draft if he signs?
2nd rounder in 2012 if he signs.

4th rounder if not.

Seems good to me.

05-29-2011, 09:26 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
2nd rounder in 2012 if he signs.

4th rounder if not.

Seems good to me.
Yeah, I would be fine with that. 2012 is a very deep draft, but if the Rangers got a deal done with Richards before July 1st, I wouldn't care at all.

I just wonder what the odds would be that Richards would sign a deal before July 1st, regardless of who trades for his rights. I wonder if he truly has a short list of teams he is thinking about playing for, or he wants to test out the waters to see what kind of money/offers are out there.

I mean more then likely, this will be the last contract he signs and probably the last city he will play in.

Old
05-29-2011, 09:28 AM
JeffMangum
I'm v

From what I've read, he seems to care more about his security than his payday. He wants to be on a team that can win (Rangers + Richards are a very solid team), and he wants security (Rangers can give him that). I don't see why he wouldn't. I'd peg the chances at 50/50.

Old
05-29-2011, 09:56 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
From what I've read, he seems to care more about his security than his payday. He wants to be on a team that can win (Rangers + Richards are a very solid team), and he wants security (Rangers can give him that). I don't see why he wouldn't. I'd peg the chances at 50/50.
The Rangers will possibly be one of the deepest teams at center with Richards, Stepan, Anisimov, and Boyle down the middle as well as a much improve squad. They still need one more person that can put the puck in the net on the wing and a PMD. They may have that scoring winger in the system (Thomas, MZA, Kreider) which would be the best case scenario for the Rangers as they will be on a cheap ELC for three years (With the exception of MZA).

Richards would QB the PP and a re-invigorated Gaborik playing with Richards should see his goal totals return to 40+ goals. I still think the Rangers need someone on the backline that can really move the puck up the ice. Rangers more then likely will not have the cap space to address this this summer, but should be able to next summer if they had to go the UFA route.

Old
05-29-2011, 10:57 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
The Rangers will possibly be one of the deepest teams at center with Richards, Stepan, Anisimov, and Boyle down the middle as well as a much improve squad. They still need one more person that can put the puck in the net on the wing and a PMD. They may have that scoring winger in the system (Thomas, MZA, Kreider) which would be the best case scenario for the Rangers as they will be on a cheap ELC for three years (With the exception of MZA).

Richards would QB the PP and a re-invigorated Gaborik playing with Richards should see his goal totals return to 40+ goals. I still think the Rangers need someone on the backline that can really move the puck up the ice. Rangers more then likely will not have the cap space to address this this summer, but should be able to next summer if they had to go the UFA route.
The Rangers wont even be one of the deepest teams at center in their own division with Richards/Stepan/Anisimov/Boyle, let alone the entire league.

That makes acquiring Richards all the more important - just to stay somewhat competitive down the middle.

Old
05-29-2011, 12:04 PM
Vitto79

Thinking boyle could hit the wing. I would be exited w Richards stepan anisimov.perhaps Boyle madden prust 4th line?

Old
05-29-2011, 12:05 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
The Rangers wont even be one of the deepest teams at center in their own division with Richards/Stepan/Anisimov/Boyle, let alone the entire league.

That makes acquiring Richards all the more important - just to stay somewhat competitive down the middle.
If Stepan/Anisimov keep developing like they should, I don't think the Rangers center depth will be that far off. Pens and Flyers are crazy deep at center with Crosby/Malkin/Staal and Richards/Carter/Briere etc, but the center depth with the Islanders and Debbies is nothing.

If all works well with Gaborik meshing with Richards, I can see him (Richards) netting 90pts. That and I can see Stepan getting 60pts next season as well provided he doesn't fall into a sophamore slump. Anisimov, I see a 40 point season. That would be solid production from down the middle.

That said, I 100% agree that the Rangers do need Richards to compete w other teams center depth in the Atlantic as well as the rest of the NHL.

Old
05-29-2011, 01:39 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Richards/Anisimov/Stepan is deep. The only team with a huge advantage is Pittsburgh, obviously. That top 3 can hang with the rest of the division easy.

Old
05-29-2011, 01:46 PM
JeffMangum
I'm v

Richards/Anisimov/Stepan is excellent center depth. Could be one of the best 1-2-3's in the league in a few years, provided Richards does sign here.

Can't July 1st just come already?

Old
05-29-2011, 03:00 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Richards/Anisimov/Stepan is deep. The only team with a huge advantage is Pittsburgh, obviously. That top 3 can hang with the rest of the division easy.
No, Richards/Anisimov/Stepan COULD be deep. I think too many people are expecting Stepan and Anisimov to improve by leaps and bounds next year. It could happen, and I hope it does, but I'd stop far short of calling it deep/one of the deepest in the league/or even one of the deepest in the division. Philadelphia has Richards/Carter/Briere/Giroux who can all play center. Thats definitely deeper than the Rangers as well.

Without Richards, we would continue to have one of the worst teams down the middle in the league. I dont know how adding him makes the Rangers one of the best.

Old
05-29-2011, 03:01 PM
JeffMangum
I'm v

Quote:
No, Richards/Anisimov/Stepan COULD be deep. I think too many people are expecting Stepan and Anisimov to improve by leaps and bounds next year. It could happen, and I hope it does, but I'd stop far short of calling it deep/one of the deepest in the league/or even one of the deepest in the division. Philadelphia has Richards/Carter/Briere/Giroux who can all play center. Thats definitely deeper than the Rangers as well.

Without Richards, we would continue to have one of the worst teams down the middle in the league. I dont know how adding him makes the Rangers one of the best.
I think most people mean in 2-3 years, when (well, should) Stepan/Anisimov DO realitsically improve into legitimate top-6 centers. That's what I mean, at last.

Old
05-29-2011, 03:08 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:

Because Richards is one of the best centers in the league. I agree it'll probably take a few years for Anisimov and Stepan to develop into players that put them in contention with Philly, and the Pens are always going to be out of the question, but Richards gives us arguably the 3rd or 4th (depending on how Giroux develops) best center in the division, in a division where one of the centers is a generational player and the other is an Art Ross winner. Our division probably has the best center depth in the entire NHL.

Anisimov is already a fine second line center and if he continues to develop he'll be a good 2nd line center as soon as next year.

Stepan also has the potential to be a good, or even great, top 6 center. If he doesn't hit a sophomore slump next year, 40 points is great for a third line center.

edit- brain fart, was using conference to refer to the Atlantic division.

Old
05-29-2011, 05:30 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Very deep, in my opinion. That's gotta be top 10 - maybe top 5? - in center depth in the league. If we resign Boyle and he can repeat last year's performance... Down the middle in points, it'll look like this realistically: 80-40-40-30.

Anisimov (44 pts.) and Stepan (45 pts.) scored more than that last season, but lower expectations, it still looks really good.

I'd take that all day.

Closed Thread