HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Lets just get a few things straight!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-11-2011, 10:36 AM
  #1
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Lets just get a few things straight!

Lets just get a few things right here. I'm fed up of hearing about some of this crap.

No.1 Captain Mike Richards

Mike Richards is one of the most respected players in the entire league. He led the Flyers last year to the stanley cup final, in which we were beaten by a team that took apart our goaltender. Mike Richards is a damn good Captain, "his team" were pretty prepared to come back last year. Last year there were no problems with his captaincy, this year we lose and there are, what a co-incidence. The philly media doesn't like him, and that trickles down into the fanbase. I couldn't care less if Mike Richards told the media to **** off every game.

That doesn't make him less of a captain!!!!

Lets get something straight, Mike Richards played the entire season with a wrist injury. A wrist injury is significant because it effects everything, Yes everything! Hitting, skating, holding your stick, passing, shooting. He played the entire season with this holding him back. Last year Mike Richards played the most games out of anyone in the entire league.


No. 2 Goaltending

We didn't lose the series against Boston because of Goaltending. We lost because we stopped skating, stopped defending and stopped playing. This pretty much happened after the all-star break. While our goaltending wasn't spectacular by any stretch of the imagination, it didn't lose us games. Leaving players open in the slot did. Leaving opposition teams skate circles around us did.

Goaltending wasn't our problem in the regular season either. Again read above. While we could very much do with a good goaltender to let Bob progress properly, it wasn't the major fault. While a goaltender might of **** the bed in the season for a few games, every other team deals with that too.

No. 3 Chris Pronger

Chris Pronger has never had injury problems in his career. He has one off year and the entire fanbase has given up on him. Please........ The guy played so many games last year, Same as Richards and kimmo, they were bound to catch up. Chris Pronger will be an effective player for years to come.

No. 4 The lockerroom split

Oh please.... There are about 30 people that know what goes on in that lockerroom. Funnily enough, none of them work for the media, and none of them post on these boards. While there could be a split, no one here is ever going to know about it until a player marches out of that dressing room and says so.

Lets look at some factors here.

The media does not like Mike Richards.
Mike Richards doesn't like the media, and he's not very confident infront of them.
The media loves Pronger for his quotes.

Stories of how everyone is friends in the changing room doesn't sell stories, and it doesn't give writers anything to write about. You do the math.

I probably have more, but god damn. I just wanted to get this off my chest.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 10:52 AM
  #2
Swiper the Fox
Registered User
 
Swiper the Fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
No. 2 Goaltending

We didn't lose the series against Boston because of Goaltending. We lost because we stopped skating, stopped defending and stopped playing. This pretty much happened after the all-star break. While our goaltending wasn't spectacular by any stretch of the imagination, it didn't lose us games. Leaving players open in the slot did. Leaving opposition teams skate circles around us did.

Goaltending wasn't our problem in the regular season either. Again read above. While we could very much do with a good goaltender to let Bob progress properly, it wasn't the major fault. While a goaltender might of **** the bed in the season for a few games, every other team deals with that too.
I disagree totally on this
you go through all the goals against buffalo / boston
Any other half decent goalie in the league would have stopped 80% of the goals that were scored in on us.
The reason the team lacked motivation is because they were frustrated wtih the play of the goalie
I believe this is the ONLY reason, the players showed no desire or conveyed that' i give up trying' attitude.
If we had a goalie that conveyed more confidence in the net, stopped some damn pucks............ this team may very well be going against TB next round and beyond



As for your #1 statement about Richards
he is a good leader but............. perhaps relieving him of the "C" for the media sakes will allow him to be a better player, and let Pronger handle the media since he's the one they actually want to talk to anyways.
he can still be a 'leader on this team' without the need for the letter "C" " be on it.



All the flyers really need to do this off-season is :

get a #1 Goalie (it been an ongoing issue since hextall ) and the #1 covered story by all the media as soon as the flyers enter the playoffs
(can the goalie get them past 1 , 2 or even 3 rounds ? )
if the media keeps covering this base every time they make the playoffs, its time the management clues in, and gets something done to eliminate that 'pressure' right off the top.


Get a #1 goalie and you'll get #1 confidence /support / motivation on this team

Swiper the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 10:56 AM
  #3
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB
 
dingbathero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
The PP killed us. Goalies HAVE to be better than they were, but the PP was the biggest thing. IMO.

dingbathero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 11:02 AM
  #4
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,252
vCash: 500
When you get swept and in such a total FAIL fashion everything from the goaltending, coach, PP etc is responsible. That's why players like Timonen as so mad...thus to pin it on any one thing is not fair but having said this..to deny goaltending is not a big issue is to be living in Holmgren's alternative universe...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 11:24 AM
  #5
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Lets just get a few things right here. I'm fed up of hearing about some of this crap.

No.1 Captain Mike Richards

Mike Richards is one of the most respected players in the entire league. He led the Flyers last year to the stanley cup final, in which we were beaten by a team that took apart our goaltender. Mike Richards is a damn good Captain, "his team" were pretty prepared to come back last year. Last year there were no problems with his captaincy, this year we lose and there are, what a co-incidence. The philly media doesn't like him, and that trickles down into the fanbase. I couldn't care less if Mike Richards told the media to **** off every game.

That doesn't make him less of a captain!!!!

Lets get something straight, Mike Richards played the entire season with a wrist injury. A wrist injury is significant because it effects everything, Yes everything! Hitting, skating, holding your stick, passing, shooting. He played the entire season with this holding him back. Last year Mike Richards played the most games out of anyone in the entire league.

Agree that last season he had a significant impact, look at the Habs series. This year not so much, whether it is a disconnect or he is too tired to show up on time, whatever it is there was a drop in his play from last season. And the wrist injury. I am calling BS on this one. It affected him all season? Well, instead of going to Costa Rica why did he not get surgery in February?

We have depth at center, Carter could step in for him. A wrist injury does not affect the ability to skate, hit, and lead by example. I give him a pass because I think there is a lot of truth behind what you do say, but there are also some holes. He needs to grow up and act like a captain, not tweet some soap opera remark back to Timmy P who did not even break the conflict story, only reported on it afterwards. Learn from Pronger, have fun with it, don't cry about it.
Quote:
No. 2 Goaltending

We didn't lose the series against Boston because of Goaltending. We lost because we stopped skating, stopped defending and stopped playing. This pretty much happened after the all-star break. While our goaltending wasn't spectacular by any stretch of the imagination, it didn't lose us games. Leaving players open in the slot did. Leaving opposition teams skate circles around us did.

Goaltending wasn't our problem in the regular season either. Again read above. While we could very much do with a good goaltender to let Bob progress properly, it wasn't the major fault. While a goaltender might of **** the bed in the season for a few games, every other team deals with that too.
I agree, disconnect, but this did not start in this series. This had been going on for awhile. But, if you switch Thomas and Boucher this is a Flyers win.

Quote:
No. 3 Chris Pronger

Chris Pronger has never had injury problems in his career. He has one off year and the entire fanbase has given up on him. Please........ The guy played so many games last year, Same as Richards and kimmo, they were bound to catch up. Chris Pronger will be an effective player for years to come.
Not concerned about Pronger, they need him to be healthy. I do not care whether Richards is captain or not, Pronger is the emotional leader of this team, they feed off of Richards as the captain, but when Pronger talks they know it is all about business.

Quote:
No. 4 The lockerroom split

Oh please.... There are about 30 people that know what goes on in that lockerroom. Funnily enough, none of them work for the media, and none of them post on these boards. While there could be a split, no one here is ever going to know about it until a player marches out of that dressing room and says so.
I think it is clear that there was a drop in play since February and some players have spoken out about their disagreements about Laviolette. I agree guys like ASF and TImmy P are in it more for the drama, but there are some things that you can do the eyeball test and see some things are wrong. We will obviously not know everything but Pronger and Timonen's post-season comments tell a lot about how things are going right now and there is a split going on in the dressing room.

Quote:
Lets look at some factors here.

The media does not like Mike Richards.
Mike Richards doesn't like the media, and he's not very confident infront of them.
The media loves Pronger for his quotes.

Stories of how everyone is friends in the changing room doesn't sell stories, and it doesn't give writers anything to write about. You do the math.

I probably have more, but god damn. I just wanted to get this off my chest.

Richards needs to stop with the insulent behavior with the media. Maybe he needs to get someone to help strengthen his shoulders and another to help strengthen his mind? He falls into their game too often. Do not take it personally. If you do your job and perform at the level everyone knows you can they will praise you, if you do not they will be a shark in the water smelling blood. Don't let them see you bleed. Have fun, enjoy it. You get paid $5mill a year to do your job, figure out how to handle the media in a more professional manner.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 11:26 AM
  #6
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Lets just get a few things right here. I'm fed up of hearing about some of this crap.

No.1 Captain Mike Richards

Mike Richards is one of the most respected players in the entire league. He led the Flyers last year to the stanley cup final, in which we were beaten by a team that took apart our goaltender. Mike Richards is a damn good Captain, "his team" were pretty prepared to come back last year. Last year there were no problems with his captaincy, this year we lose and there are, what a co-incidence. The philly media doesn't like him, and that trickles down into the fanbase. I couldn't care less if Mike Richards told the media to **** off every game.

That doesn't make him less of a captain!!!!

Lets get something straight, Mike Richards played the entire season with a wrist injury. A wrist injury is significant because it effects everything, Yes everything! Hitting, skating, holding your stick, passing, shooting. He played the entire season with this holding him back. Last year Mike Richards played the most games out of anyone in the entire league.
Jeepers, change a name and few other words and phrases and this fluff would be right at home in a Justin Bieber thread on TigerBeat.com.



But seriously, if Richards "led the Flyers last year to the stanley cup final", didn't he lead them to a lifeless mirthless limp defeat to Boston this year?

I think it's more likely that Chris Pronger led them last year, and this year they were leaderless when Pronger got hurt.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 11:44 AM
  #7
Ghost of Downie*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,959
vCash: 500
It would've made so much difference if Pronger was the captain. You know, since he played the entire year and everything...

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 11:46 AM
  #8
ShotScore*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Philadelphia,Pa.
Country: Italy
Posts: 926
vCash: 500
I disagree with almost everything in this post except the Pronger post.

Mike Richards' effectiveness at being captain is being called into question for a reason. This is not some random thought out of the blue because someone in the media wants to make an issue where none lies.

We got swept out of the playoffs! Do you understand SWEPT?

In a year we were supposed to be back in the finals fighting for the Cup.

And Richards did absolutely NOTHING and the Rock means NOTHING to address the problems on this team.

Your captain has to be the captain. When something isn't right, he must address it. Whether that be publicly or privately, whether someone needs scolding, whatever.

Richards didn't do the job. Therefore, he must eat the criticism. I'm sure he will feel bad about this past season as he's doing body shots with Carter off some waitress down the shore this summer too.

Your second point.....

If you don't believe goaltending was a major issue on this team then you and I weren't watching the same team.

Watching this team go through the merry-go-round of Leighton, Boucher, and Bobrovsky, play musical goaltenders had all the satisfaction, security, comfort, and positivity equivalent of being out to sea and slowly watching your boat sink with you in it.

We need a true #1 goalie. There is no question about this.

The Locker room Split.

I can buy this.

You can't tell me a guy like Sean O'Donnell who is a personal friend of Pronger and won a Cup with him doesn't prefer Pronger over Richards in almost everything.

You can't tell me other guys in that locker room don't feel the same way. Hell, I feel that way and I'm watching from a distance.

And it's only common sense.

There is no one in their right mind, who's going to say or think that Mike Richards is a better leader and would be a better captain than Chris Pronger.

OK I said all I got to say.

I hope we got it straight.

ShotScore* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 11:55 AM
  #9
phlocky
Registered User
 
phlocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiper the Fox View Post
I disagree totally on this
you go through all the goals against buffalo / boston
Any other half decent goalie in the league would have stopped 80% of the goals that were scored in on us.
The reason the team lacked motivation is because they were frustrated wtih the play of the goalie
I believe this is the ONLY reason, the players showed no desire or conveyed that' i give up trying' attitude.
If we had a goalie that conveyed more confidence in the net, stopped some damn pucks............ this team may very well be going against TB next round and beyond



As for your #1 statement about Richards
he is a good leader but............. perhaps relieving him of the "C" for the media sakes will allow him to be a better player, and let Pronger handle the media since he's the one they actually want to talk to anyways.
he can still be a 'leader on this team' without the need for the letter "C" " be on it.



All the flyers really need to do this off-season is :

get a #1 Goalie (it been an ongoing issue since hextall ) and the #1 covered story by all the media as soon as the flyers enter the playoffs
(can the goalie get them past 1 , 2 or even 3 rounds ? )
if the media keeps covering this base every time they make the playoffs, its time the management clues in, and gets something done to eliminate that 'pressure' right off the top.


Get a #1 goalie and you'll get #1 confidence /support / motivation on this team
If we take away ALL of the soft goals in both series, we STILL would have lost with out question 2 games against Buffalo and 2 games against the Bruins. Unless you think that scoring zero goals in 2 games against Miller is good enough to somehow win the game 0-0 just because we are the Flyers and unless you think EVERY goal in the 2 games that we could only muster one freaking goal against Thomas we wouldn't have won those games either.

Were there soft goals??? Yes, but they weren't the reason we lost that series or almost lost to the Sabres. You don't win if you don't score and in 20% of our games this year we scored LESS than two goals. That's pretty aweful for a team that is suppose to be 9 strong in scoring forwards They aren't suppose to be able to shut down all 3 lines and they did.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 11:59 AM
  #10
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie View Post
It would've made so much difference if Pronger was the captain. You know, since he played the entire year and everything...
And if Pronger was on the ice I can bet you would have seen a team play a lot more like last season than this season. Just sayin'.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 12:02 PM
  #11
Ghost of Downie*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
And if Pronger was on the ice I can bet you would have seen a team play a lot more like last season than this season. Just sayin'.
Because he is an all-star defenseman and one of the best in the game, solidifying our defense so that six players can play even minutes. Not to mention he's Carle's babysitter. So yeah you're right, Pronger as an assistant captain would've made this team a lot better.

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 12:17 PM
  #12
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotScore View Post
Richards didn't do the job. Therefore, he must eat the criticism. I'm sure he will feel bad about this past season as he's doing body shots with Carter off some waitress down the shore this summer too.
LOL Should be tweeted

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 12:21 PM
  #13
Terence Peterman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Jeepers, change a name and few other words and phrases and this fluff would be right at home in a Justin Bieber thread on TigerBeat.com.

I'd like to know more as to how you know such things. Please, go on.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 12:23 PM
  #14
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,686
vCash: 50
I wonder what would of happened to Yzerman if Wings management stripped the C off him after 5 years.
Because it was all his fault they didnt win a Cup until near the end of his career.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 12:24 PM
  #15
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,659
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I wonder what would of happened to Yzerman if Wings management stripped the C off him after 5 years.
Because it was all his fault they didnt win a Cup until near the end of his career.
Maybe they would have traded him to Philly, and we would've had a Cup.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 12:28 PM
  #16
Ghost of Downie*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Maybe they would have traded him to Philly, and we would've had a Cup.
Nah, he didn't have enough heart to play here. If he didn't win a Cup in his first five years in he league, he was obviously too preoccupied with doing body shots off a waitress in Sea Isle.

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 12:46 PM
  #17
Swiper the Fox
Registered User
 
Swiper the Fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
If we take away ALL of the soft goals in both series, we STILL would have lost with out question 2 games against Buffalo and 2 games against the Bruins. Unless you think that scoring zero goals in 2 games against Miller is good enough to somehow win the game 0-0 just because we are the Flyers and unless you think EVERY goal in the 2 games that we could only muster one freaking goal against Thomas we wouldn't have won those games either.

Were there soft goals??? Yes, but they weren't the reason we lost that series or almost lost to the Sabres. You don't win if you don't score and in 20% of our games this year we scored LESS than two goals. That's pretty aweful for a team that is suppose to be 9 strong in scoring forwards They aren't suppose to be able to shut down all 3 lines and they did.
We beat Buffalo "barely" with piss pot poor goaltending
we lost to Boston 'totally' because of poor goaltending (had there been any actual goaltending where a puck or two was actually saved, we would have beaten them )
Motivation is driven off of good plays ( big hits , fights, goaltender saves )
Motivation is lost with bad plays ( in this case, lack of goaltender saves )

Swiper the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 12:47 PM
  #18
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I wonder what would of happened to Yzerman if Wings management stripped the C off him after 5 years.
I guess he would have had all those 50 and 60 goal seasons for somebody else

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.