HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

im done with this team if we lose in 7

Old
05-11-2011, 05:08 PM
SharksLuv

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
lol it's kinda funny how you literally have two fanbases cheering hard for you guys in game 7.

Guess you guys can't hate the canucks anymore if you win
I think the Canucks fans ought to be careful about what they wish for. If you look at the games this season the results were close with both teams. They split the Wings and took the Sharks 3-1, but only one of those was a blow-out with the others being closely contested games. If you believe like some fans that the Sharks season really began in January it's a split and the last meeting could have gone either way.

In any case, each match-up is different, each series is different and there are too many factors to say the nucks will walk over either team. Just look at the their Chicago series or Tampa over the Caps. If the Sharks take tomorrow night I would say these teams are pretty evenly matched. It may come down to the performance of Luongo vs. Niemi, assuming the rest of the Sharks show up.

SharksLuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 05:10 PM
GCM
Kesler Did This

It seems a lot of you want to win so that you can have comebacks in arguments and taunt other fans.

That's... Weird to me. That's why you want a cup? So you can make fun of other people or have a retort to the latest argument and shut up people you don't care about?

For me, personally, I want the Canucks to win the cup because I think players like Kesler, Luongo and the Sedins winning that trophy would be an amazing accomplishment for their careers. It would probably confirm the Sedins as future Hall of Famers.

I want the Canucks to win so that when the parade comes to town everyone can be happy and celebrate.

Not so that I can call up my cousin in Calgary and laugh at his face over the phone and rub it in.

Just saying, it's not worth wanting the cup just to get back at some people that take digs at you. If you let them be on your mind that much, they are winning. Who cares what people you don't know call you.

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 05:14 PM
Derick*

Send a message via MSN to Derick*
Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
losing in the 2nd round bunch of years in a row is not doing what we want. losing in the wcf last year was not doing what we want.

blowing a 3 game lead is something only 4 other teams in the entire 100 years of professional sports over three major sporting leagues has done. that is beyond 'not doing what we want' and we are now talking about historical infamy, a trivia pursuit answer to 'these two teams managed to choke utterly in consecutive years in the playoffs'.
The Detroit Red Wings are a very good team. That's why the series is going to 7 and that's why every game has been won by one goal. The fact that each team's wins came in a row and our wins came earlier really means nothing.

Derick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksLuv View Post
I think the Canucks fans ought to be careful about what they wish for. If you look at the games this season the results were close with both teams. They split the Wings and took the Sharks 3-1, but only one of those was a blow-out with the others being closely contested games. If you believe like some fans that the Sharks season really began in January it's a split and the last meeting could have gone either way.

In any case, each match-up is different, each series is different and there are too many factors to say the nucks will walk over either team. Just look at the their Chicago series or Tampa over the Caps. If the Sharks take tomorrow night I would say these teams are pretty evenly matched. It may come down to the performance of Luongo vs. Niemi, assuming the rest of the Sharks show up.
If Detroit gets by us I pick them to get to the SCF. They are getting healthier, they are getting more and more engaged in the playoffs. A team that comes back after going down 0-3 is going to be ready to hit the ice right afterwards, and the game will be on Sunday.

Meanwhile if the sharks win game 7 they will be mentally exhausted.

I honestly think Vancouver has a better chance against us than Detroit.

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Wedontneedroads

vCash: 853
at least they won't be able to raise ticket prices.

Wedontneedroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 05:15 PM
SharksLuv

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCM View Post
It seems a lot of you want to win so that you can have comebacks in arguments and taunt other fans.

That's... Weird to me. That's why you want a cup? So you can make fun of other people or have a retort to the latest argument and shut up people you don't care about?

For me, personally, I want the Canucks to win the cup because I think players like Kesler, Luongo and the Sedins winning that trophy would be an amazing accomplishment for their careers. It would probably confirm the Sedins as future Hall of Famers.

I want the Canucks to win so that when the parade comes to town everyone can be happy and celebrate.

Not so that I can call up my cousin in Calgary and laugh at his face over the phone and rub it in.

Just saying, it's not worth wanting the cup just to get back at some people that take digs at you. If you let them be on your mind that much, they are winning. Who cares what people you don't know call you.
You guys have been wandering in the desert for a long time too, so if it can't be the Sharks, I hope it's the Canucks. As others have said, any team other than the Wings. It will just make their fans more smarmy.

The way I see it Tampa, the Bruins, and the Wings have all been there, so let's see some new blood this year. As the ads say, "history will be made."

Old
05-11-2011, 05:17 PM
Wedontneedroads

Quote:

it seems this way to you as an OUTSIDE observer of a team people have been following diehard for 20 years.

a team that has looked like they were going to win something, and then epically collapsed multiple times.

being able to shut other people up would be a very nice added to winning a stanley cup.

but if you think THAT'S why Sharks fans want a cup in SJ you have a lot to learn about Sharks fans.

just saying...

Old
05-11-2011, 05:17 PM
irregardless
Registered Dummy

Quote:

I disagree. That's not the sense I get from this thread at all.

irregardless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 05:22 PM
SharksLuv

Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
If Detroit gets by us I pick them to get to the SCF. They are getting healthier, they are getting more and more engaged in the playoffs. A team that comes back after going down 0-3 is going to be ready to hit the ice right afterwards, and the game will be on Sunday.

Meanwhile if the sharks win game 7 they will be mentally exhausted.

I honestly think Vancouver has a better chance against us than Detroit.
Well there's Franzen and what about Datyuk's wrist? Their not totally healthy. Of course, we don't know what's up with Clowe yet and that's already hurt us.

Mentally exhausted? Won't that change after winning game 7? To be honest I was worried more about a sweep; they are always rusty after a break. Winning game 7 might be a blessing in disguise. Of course, doing it in 6 would have been better.

Old
05-11-2011, 05:24 PM
GCM
Kesler Did This

Quote:
Originally Posted by irbelikewall View Post
it seems this way to you as an OUTSIDE observer of a team people have been following diehard for 20 years.

a team that has looked like they were going to win something, and then epically collapsed multiple times.

being able to shut other people up would be a very nice added to winning a stanley cup.

but if you think THAT'S why Sharks fans want a cup in SJ you have a lot to learn about Sharks fans.

just saying...
Oh dude trust me I know where you're coming from. Canucks fans get tons of the same hate and we've been around 20 years longer and have less to show for it than the Sharks (though now I guess with the pres trophy it's closer).

I know you would love nothing better than to respond with every choker comment with a picture of Thornton happily raising the cup, but it shouldn't be your primary motivation is what I meant. And that's the feeling I got from quite a few posts in this topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurious View Post
I disagree. That's not the sense I get from this thread at all.
That's fair, it's just how I felt reading a number of posts so I thought I'd say something. I just got that vibe.

I didn't see a single comment saying something like "I just want Joe to lift that cup so that he can have a spot in the hall of fame" or something to that effect for any of the players.

Old
05-11-2011, 05:27 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Well there's Franzen and what about Datyuk's wrist? Their not totally healthy. Of course, we don't know what's up with Clowe yet and that's already hurt us.

Mentally exhausted? Won't that change after winning game 7? To be honest I was worried more about a sweep; they are always rusty after a break. Winning game 7 might be a blessing in disguise. Of course, doing it in 6 would have been better.
I don't know, I just get the feeling that Vancouver would have trouble with Detroit and not San Jose. The Sharks haven't shown us that they have killer instinct yet. While Detroit has cranked up their game in this series from being the worse team in the first few games to now being the much better team.

I just don't think that San Jose has the ability to elevate their game as much as Detroit does, I'll be happy to admit I'm wrong but they haven't done it yet.

Old
05-11-2011, 05:29 PM
Silent Knight
"Resigns" you sure?

Wow, the OP is a really lousy fan... you might as well just be one of those guys who buys a jersey of whatever team wins the cup the previous season, follow them until they lose (like the Blackhawks did this year) then buy a jersey of this years cup winner. Fail.

From a long time Leaf fan... Go Sharks!!! Keep the faith in your team no matter what, don't bail because things may not go how you want them too!!

Last edited by Silent Knight: 05-11-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Silent Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 05:29 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
Ben Dayho

Quote:
Oh dude trust me I know where you're coming from. Canucks fans get tons of the same hate and we've been around 20 years longer and have less to show for it than the Sharks (though now I guess with the pres trophy it's closer).

I know you would love nothing better than to respond with every choker comment with a picture of Thornton happily raising the cup, but it shouldn't be your primary motivation is what I meant. And that's the feeling I got from quite a few posts in this topic.

That's fair, it's just how I felt reading a number of posts so I thought I'd say something. I just got that vibe.

I didn't see a single comment saying something like "I just want Joe to lift that cup so that he can have a spot in the hall of fame" or something to that effect for any of the players.
I get what you're saying and I have to admit I approach the game similar to you. I want justification for the team and the players, not for me being a fan. I'm in no way saying that anyone here is thinking anything other than that but I just know how I feel about it.

"there's nothing good about dubstep." - The Nemesis
slocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 05:34 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

If they lose on Thursday it's probably the last chance this core of players has of winning the cup with San Jose. They may not blow up the team but I don't think they will have what it takes to complete the task in the coming years.

I'll be really disappointed because I've really really really wanted to see guys like Thornton and Marleau win the cup in our uniform. I like how they conduct themselves off the ice and wish they could find a way to carry a team like so many conn smythe players have been able to do in the past. T_T

Please win San Jose, keep the hope alive. (If they win and lose to Vancouver I'll still keep hope that they can do it next year, Assuming they don't blow a 3-0 lead or get swept.)

Coming into the post season I just wanted to see them win 3 games in the WCF. x_x

Old
05-11-2011, 05:45 PM
Wedontneedroads

Quote:

fair enough. my point then would be don't let a few posters create your general opinion of sharks fans.

my desire for the Sharks to win a cup has very little, if anything, to do with other fans around the NHL. it has to do with the years of time, emotion, and money I have invested in this team. it's just like any agreement, if you put in some skin you damn well better be getting something back.

as sharks fans we have gotten a solid regular season team, rising ticket prices every year, and a core of players that has built a reputation of choking when it matters. granted that is just this "era" of sharks hockey. give it 10 years and it will be a whole new group of players.

your association seems to be with the players, not the team. i have been a sharks fan longer than marleau has been a shark player. while i think it would be cool to see Marleau win a cup in SJ, I don't give a crap who wins it for SJ as long as they win it. it would be pretty sweet relief for this group of players though.

to your main point though, it has nothing to do with having a comeback to HF posters. your limited view of Sharks fans (HF Boards) has probably perpetuated that idea.

Last edited by Wedontneedroads: 05-11-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old
05-11-2011, 06:06 PM
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

vCash: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetropolisPt31 View Post
I've rooted for this team since 1995, when I was 14. I was hooked when Flaherty made his 56 saves in game 7, but have suffered through:
  • The tennis match Red Wings sweep
  • A 20-win season so awful that Geoff Sarjeant started in net
  • Ed Belfour
  • Losing to Ed Belfour's Stars in the playoffs
  • Upsetting St. Louis only to lose to Ed Belfour's Stars in the playoffs
  • Selanne. Wraparound.
  • 28-win season after Selanne. Wraparound.
  • Clawing back to a 2-2 Conference Finals, taking back home ice advantage and ultimately blowing it.
  • Being minutes away from a 3-0 series lead, ultimately losing in 6.
  • Being minutes away from a 3-1 series lead, ultimately losing in 6.
  • Barely beating Calgary in 7 before dropping the first 3 to Dallas, ultimately losing in 6.
  • Barely showing up against a #8 seed, ultimately losing in 6.
  • Getting swept in the Conference finals.

If they lose tomorrow, I'll be back. I'll drag myself back somehow.
This makes me feel better.

We will stick with the sharks no matter what.

StreetSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 06:21 PM
SoCalShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1az View Post
Anyone here who's been a diehard fan of the Sharks since '91?
Yea, I still have my original jersey from '91. I am so depressed and so angry.

Over at fearthefin, Plank said that the players care more than the fans. I think he is wrong.

Players come and players go but the fans are stuck with the memories of his/her team’s past playoff failings that outnumber any regular season accomplishments.

It all started in 1994 with the shot from Garpenlov hitting the crossbar in Game 6 against Toronto and the subsequent loss in game 7. That was the first heartbreak. The following year to be swept by the Red Wings was a small one but still hurt. The ousting by St. Louis in 2001 and then the missed shot into an open net by Selanne against Roy in 2002 are additional wounds. The debacle of the 2003 season and having to watch a younger, rival, organization make it to game seven of the Stanley Cup finals. Not winning a home game against Calgary in 2004 was another low. Next was Cheechoo hesitating on a one-timer in OT of game 3 in 2006 and the subsequent collapse to a Pronger lead Edmonton. Marleau coughing up the puck late in game 4 to the Wings and then another subsequent collapse in 2007 are another withdrawal from the emotional checkbook. Now add injury to insult, the Ducks winning the cup that same year! 2008 brought more heartache with going down three games to zero against Dallas and to tease fans with an improbable comeback; only to fall flat in the fourth OT.
2009 has to be one of the worst heartbreaks, to be the best team in the regular season and to get embarrassed by a division rival that was seeded eighth. Since then, when I go to a Shark/Duck game, the chants of “’09” haunt me more than seeing the Duck 2007 Stanley Cup Banner. 2010 showed that maybe the Sharks turned over a new leaf and had exercised their demons by beating the Wings in 5 games; another collapse yet occurred in the form of a sweep by the eventual Stanley Cup champions. Of course, all of the aforementioned pales in comparison to the ultimate collapse, something that has only occurred in hockey three times and four times in all of sports. The greatest choke is to be up on an opponent three games to zero and then to allow that opponent to win four straight games. This is the quintessential heartbreak for any fan to bear.

Please SHARKS do not let this happen! Just WIN!!!!! I don't want to think about if they lose because it might mean a youtube video of me burning all of my Shark merchandise and memorabilia in a large bonfire!

SoCalShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 06:27 PM
SoCalShark

Maybe just my Marleau shirt and Seto jeresy in the bonfire.

Old
05-11-2011, 06:35 PM
SJGoalie32

Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
If they lose on Thursday it's probably the last chance this core of players has of winning the cup with San Jose. They may not blow up the team but I don't think they will have what it takes to complete the task in the coming years.

I'll be really disappointed because I've really really really wanted to see guys like Thornton and Marleau win the cup in our uniform. I like how they conduct themselves off the ice and wish they could find a way to carry a team like so many conn smythe players have been able to do in the past. T_T
I thought about that, too, but honestly, this team's playoff core is officially Pavelski/Couture/Clowe. Those are the guys who got it done last year, those are the guys getting it done as consistently as possible this year, and those are the guys who will be getting in done in postseasons to come.

I believe Pavelski/Couture/Clowe will only get better next year and the year after. Last postseason, those three combined for 15 goals in 15 games. This year, those three have already for 14 combined goals in 12 games thus far.

Sure, maybe the core of Thornton & Marleau will experience a drop-off next year as their talents begin to decline with age. So what? Those two have just 4 goals in 12 games. So what if their talent declines.....how much worse could they possibly be? What.....3 goals in 12 games? 0 goals in 12 games? I'm pretty sure the slightly more experienced new core trio of Pavelski/Couture/Clowe will be able to pick up an extra goal or 4 next year if they're given more ice time and PM & Jumbo are demoted to second line status (at least for the playoffs).

Of course, they'll still need more production out of the lesser role players like Patty & Jumbo if they want to get beyond this point.....but if the new core can increase their scoring next year AND maybe get a modest production out of those lesser playoff guys, the Sharks could still be an outside Cup threat if things break right.

This is Logan's "official" rookie year. There's no telling how good he could be over the next few years. With him, Pavs, and Clowe leading the way, I actually don't feel too bad about the future of this team. PM & Jumbo can't be relied upon to produce consistently, but if they ever do hit another postseason hot streak to provide a secondary scoring complement to the new core group (unlikely though it may be), good things could still happen.

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 06:48 PM
SoCalShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJGoalie32 View Post
Sure, maybe the core of Thornton & Marleau will experience a drop-off next year as their talents begin to decline with age.
They already have since they needed to step up in Clowe's absence and they didn't!

Old
05-11-2011, 08:37 PM
GCM
Kesler Did This

Quote:
Originally Posted by irbelikewall View Post
fair enough. my point then would be don't let a few posters create your general opinion of sharks fans.
I don't. I don't perceive Sharks fans that way. I was directing my post at the posters I saw in this topic that were thinking that way, that's all.

Any fan base that has gone through the failures that the Sharks have and still hangs around is a good fan base IMO. Similar to the Canucks in that sense.

Old
05-11-2011, 08:45 PM
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

I am in dislike with Patty (and to a lesser extend JT and heater)... but for those of you thinking that Clowe/Pavs/Cooter can get it done when THEY are the top line are a wee bit misguided.

The main reason they have been successful is because they are not the main focus of the other team's top players. Their numbers would go down the pooper if they were keyed in on by the top d-men and checking line.

We would need some other players equally skillful to spread out the love.

MadmanSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 09:00 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:

For me, I just want the sharks to make it because of there great fanbase, and i can't stand the wings fanbase.

Also i would expect a highly entertaining series also, and I don't wanna see you guys choke 4 games in a row, that would just be torture 2 see

WIsh you guys the best, and win

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Boom Roasted

I think you guys definitely win tomorrow. There's no way detroit wins 4 in a row

Boom Roasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 09:34 PM
McLovin25
Eberle=Clutch

JT has been one of our top players, better then everyone but Clowe and Couture imo.
Heatley has been alot better then the regular season.
Marleau has been the glaring problem this year. he HAS to go somewherw

McLovin25 is offline   Reply With Quote