HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

im done with this team if we lose in 7

Old
05-10-2011, 11:21 PM
CJL182

vCash: 500
You never stop being a fan. It'll be all the sweeter when we finally win the Cup after going through all the tough times.

CJL182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:22 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

I'm not done if they lose this next game, but at this point being out of market I would consider not paying for NHL CI and watching games with online streams and dealing with that unreliability.

I'll probably change my mind next Sept/Oct when I call DirecTV and they offer me NHL CI for somewhere between $80-120, but we'll see. I'd hate to be like some of my friends who only seriously follow the Sharks during the playoffs, but times like I this I kinda see their point.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:25 PM
allworldcaucasn*

Send a message via AIM to allworldcaucasn*
I'll still be a fan, but will be much less emotionally involved. I won't expect anything out of them. It will probably be nice.

allworldcaucasn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:27 PM
4ncea0hark8lways
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Agree that 2002 Giants loss was harder to take b/c they had it in their grasp. I went to game 7 that year and the Giants played as if they had already lost. It was such a bummer sitting in those stands with all those OC fans doing their Rally Monkey cheer.

If the Sharks lose, this team will simply cement it in my mind that they're truly like the Atlanta Braves or St. Louis Blues. Not good enough when it matters.
Lol, I remember that horrible year. I was living in Santa Ana at the time of the series and I couldn't bare to show my face the following school day; I called in "sick."

4ncea0hark8lways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:27 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

I don't even want to bring up 2002 Giants, because I don't want to think that if the Sharks complete the choke this year, that somehow it will take 8 more seasons of this torture until they hoist a Cup...

Old
05-10-2011, 11:28 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalsaShark View Post
It is the past couple of loses that give me reason to never put someones name on my Jersey. I have been following this team since 92 and not once have I been convinced to wear names like Garpenlov, Irbe, Nolan, Ricci, Friesen, Baker, Cheech, Marleau, Thornton.... the list can go on and on. If the Sharks lose this on Thursday, I will call for someones head, just like I have for years. But I will never ever give up on the dream. The crest is the only thing that matters.

****. I need a drink.
Heh, I have an Irbe jersey. It was actually my first crested jersey I could ever afford, in high school as an Oilers fan, no less.

Keep the faith, guys. It's a long, long way down to the bottom - where you're at isn't so bad. And the funny thing about Game 7's is that a team that looks to be beaten (ie. Carolina 2006) can come through with a perfect game to win the series at home.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:32 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Oil fan here. my 2 bits: If they lose game 7 quitting on the franchise would be lame, but quitting on this roster or core is perfectly legit.

Win or lose, Marleau has got to go. this guy is a beer-league hockey player in SJ with NHL allstar talent; what a waste.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:35 PM
D Huang

Send a message via AIM to D Huang
Understandable that some of you guys take hockey very seriously, but at some point enough is enough, no?

Fans of other teams sometimes highlight the shortcomings of the team I support as if it were an indication of my value as a human being. The reality is, win or lose I get to look forward to waking up everyday and realizing my potential as a father, son, husband, professional, scholar, athlete, and citizen.

Seriously fellow fans, it's just hockey. Take this loss, you'll survive.

D Huang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:37 PM
gonegonegone*

all of us have been burned by this chokerific team multiple times the past couple of years and i suspect we will be back again next season. but enuff is enuff we HAVE to get rid of marleau. de-captaining him isnt enuff. his dopey attitude and complete lack of a 4th gear has spread to our other players. he is like a virus that needs to be excised. we have to get rid of him. he is 7 mil of fail. i am 100% done with him.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:41 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Huang View Post
Understandable that some of you guys take hockey very seriously, but at some point enough is enough, no?

Fans of other teams sometimes highlight the shortcomings of the team I support as if it were an indication of my value as a human being. The reality is, win or lose I get to look forward to waking up everyday and realizing my potential as a father, son, husband, professional, scholar, athlete, and citizen.

Seriously fellow fans, it's just hockey. Take this loss, you'll survive.
Problem is, for me and many others, our Sharks fandomness is a big time emotional investment. No it's not more important than work/career, but other than that, it's high up there. At times higher than my wife. Is that sad? Yes, but what can I say?

Emotional investment means the highs are so ****ing high, and the lows are so ****ing low. I want those high highs so bad that I continue that emotional investment. I can understand after so many low lows if people question whether to keep that emotional investment. Like I said in an earlier post, for me that's not dumping my team, but it might be living here in TX and not getting NHL CI and just relying on online feeds, it might be being more like some of my other friends who only seriously follow the Sharks during the playoffs.

I dunno...

Old
05-10-2011, 11:42 PM
Daily Special

Jumping overboard now is basically throwing away nearly two decades of fan loyalty, so I won't even entertain the notion. Win or lose however, I can say with some confidence I'd have no problem watching Doug Wilson look at options about Marleau. I say that taking into consideration Patty holds many of the teams scoring records as well.

Again, nothing to do with talent, everything to do with character. Patty's "Byng" disposition is grating. It wears, and has become synonymous with playoff failure, even if during some postseasons he was the only one to show up. It's the cumulative effect of postseason flops. Great if he explodes for half a season somewhere else. They'll soon see what we've seen -- the see-saw pattern of his commitment.

If we lose again, especially this series (initially up 3-0), it would take a dramatic shake up to recover psychologically, both inside and outside of the organization. Marleau would almost certainly be one of the "fall guys."

Daily Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:44 PM
booost

sharks will win game 7.

booost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:44 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I'll be an overly Cynical fan until they get to the SCF. When that happens I will switch to super cheering mode and hopefully they win the cup.

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:48 PM
Rickety Cricket

If they lose game 7, I might actually stab someone.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:49 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
If they lose game 7, I might actually stab someone.
I might literally pee on my carpet the run around naked outside before trying to steal a car/bike and hopefully get arrested in a drunken rage.

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:49 PM
Minicoop831

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus View Post
Here's the thing, I've tried "dialing it back" but it doesn't appear to be something I'm capable of. I'm seriously depressed right now. And yes, it is as pathetic as it sounds. Which is the point. I'm this depressed over a bunch of millionaires playing a kids game. And none of those millionaires know me or give a **** about my well being. The highs that come from supporting this team do not seem to be worth the lows.
I feel like this team has taken over my life, Game takes priority over everything on game days. Watch it no matter what live, dvr, stream, and in dire preseason the play by play with the refresh button. It's like a drug you try to "dial it back" but the your always coming back no matter how hard they choke. It's ****ing depressing and it seems like every time the obsession grows bigger. The dreams of jumbo and patty proving there haters wrong lifting that cup feel impossible, even though it would probably one of the greatest days of my life. Then like you fall like a lifeless rock your back to reality thinking about what the team could of done or WTF did we do to deserve this. Its truly pathetic to be this obsessed with a sports team but you know what we will still be here no matter how this season ends no matter how depressed we are, because of what brought us here in the first place. **** I need help lol

Minicoop831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:53 PM
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
Oil fan here. my 2 bits: If they lose game 7 quitting on the franchise would be lame, but quitting on this roster or core is perfectly legit.

Win or lose, Marleau has got to go. this guy is a beer-league hockey player in SJ with NHL allstar talent; what a waste.
Way to swallow Roenick's sentiments whole and poop them out on HFboards. 37 goals seems like an awfully good year for a beer league player...but I guess that just doesn't cut it in the city of champions

hockeygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:53 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minicoop831 View Post
I feel like this team has taken over my life, Game takes priority over everything on game days. Watch it no matter what live, dvr, stream, and in dire preseason the play by play with the refresh button. It's like a drug you try to "dial it back" but the your always coming back no matter how hard they choke. It's ****ing depressing and it seems like every time the obsession grows bigger. The dreams of jumbo and patty proving there haters wrong lifting that cup feel impossible, even though it would probably one of the greatest days of my life. Then like you fall like a lifeless rock your back to reality thinking about what the team could of done or WTF did we do to deserve this. Its truly pathetic to be this obsessed with a sports team but you know what we will still be here no matter how this season ends no matter how depressed we are, because of what brought us here in the first place. **** I need help lol
Damn it, you are right. I'll have NHL CI next season, and my life will continue to revolve around the Sharks no matter what. FML.

Old
05-10-2011, 11:57 PM
vancityoriginals

through thick and thin boys....

we all deal with it at some point, in any sport, with any team...

vancityoriginals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:57 PM
Improvise
Old School

Send a message via AIM to Improvise
Watch how the tune of this thread changes if the Sharks win game 7...lol.

My dad bought season tickets to the Sharks in 1991. I was born in 1985. I can barely remember the long drives from Los Gatos to the Cow Palace because I slept through so many of them. Probably the same reason why I barely remember those games even though I went to most of them.

That routine continued for years of my life. Hockey season meant going to about two Sharks games every week from October-April, and if we were lucky to make the playoffs then even more hockey. And nothing ever beat playoff hockey. I can still remember running around my house screaming and doing cartwheels when Jamie Baker scored that game winning goal in 1994.

I can't get into the regular season like I used to because I don't care whether the Sharks finish in 8th or 1st. I'll watch about half the regular season games and really start to get into it during the playoffs but it's never the same once your faith begins to crack because you just don't know what team is going to hit the ice on any given night.

But I guess that's just the reality of this **** now isn't it.

Last edited by Improvise: 05-11-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Improvise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:59 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Special View Post
Jumping overboard now is basically throwing away nearly two decades of fan loyalty, so I won't even entertain the notion. Win or lose however, I can say with some confidence I'd have no problem watching Doug Wilson look at options about Marleau. I say that taking into consideration Patty holds many of the teams scoring records as well.

Again, nothing to do with talent, everything to do with character. Patty's "Byng" disposition is grating. It wears, and has become synonymous with playoff failure, even if during some postseasons he was the only one to show up. It's the cumulative effect of postseason flops. Great if he explodes for half a season somewhere else. They'll soon see what we've seen -- the see-saw pattern of his commitment.

If we lose again, especially this series (initially up 3-0), it would take a dramatic shake up to recover psychologically, both inside and outside of the organization. Marleau would almost certainly be one of the "fall guys."
Even if you make Marleau the fall guy, the only way that Marleau gets moved out is either Doug Wilson goes against his principles, Marleau asks out, or Doug Wilson is removed for someone that is willing to force the issue. As much as we love to discuss the issues of trading the higher-end players that aren't pulling their weight, the reality is that it's not easy to move guys that have clauses in their contracts.

The only way I see Marleau getting shipped out is either Doug Wilson goes against his principles or he is replaced and the latter likely has the best chance of occurring.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 12:00 AM
BCShark

glad shark fans are finally realizing marleau is a heartless rodent. i dont care about numbers the guy is crap in playoffs

BCShark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 12:04 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCShark View Post
glad shark fans are finally realizing marleau is a heartless rodent. i dont care about numbers the guy is crap in playoffs
Yeah but where is everyone else? You can get rid of the perceived cancer but unless someone is actually there with heart, it doesn't make a difference. Nobody on the team has shown any heart when the adversity hit. Not Thornton. Not Boyle. Not Clowe. Not Marleau. Not anyone. You can't blame that on any one person.

If you want to go that route of getting rid of the heartless players, you get rid of all of them that are guilty of it. Right now, there are precious few that are giving full effort but none of them are showing the heart and resiliency. At least Couture has shown some accountability.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 12:07 AM
Minicoop831

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improvise View Post
Watch how the tune of this thread changes if the Sharks win game 7...lol.

My dad bought season tickets to the Sharks in 1991. I was born in 1985. I can barely remember the long drives from Los Gatos to the Cow Palace because I slept through so many of them. Probably the same reason why I barely remember those games even though I went to most of them.

That routine continued for years of my life. Hockey season meant going to about two Sharks game from September-April, and if we were lucky to make the playoffs then even more hockey. And nothing beat playoff hockey.

I can't get into the regular season like I used to because I don't care whether the Sharks finish in 8th or 1st. I'll watch about half the regular season games and really start to get into it during the playoffs but it's never the same once your faith begins to crack because you just don't know what team is going to hit the ice on any given night.

But I guess that's just the reality of this **** now isn't it.
It seems that the team can never separate having fun and pressure. It's like a mental switch in the playoffs a switch that is always on the pressure side. I guess that's what happens when your payed that kind of money. They never seem to be have fun playing the game come playoff time, it's like a dead weight that keeps dragging them down. Obviously it's a lot easier said than done but anyway that's the way I feel.

Minicoop831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 12:10 AM
Plowevelski
:-)) Torres Fan Club

I belive in Clowe and the crest. **** you patrick marleau crazy browed *****!

Sharks fan til death but if we lose game 7 there will not be enough liquor available...

Plowevelski is offline   Reply With Quote