HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should the Sharks scratch Marleau?? seriously.

View Poll Results: Should Marleau be scratched for game 7? seriously
No 89 63.12%
Yes 38 26.95%
Not sure 14 9.93%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-10-2011, 11:05 PM
dwood16

vCash: 500
Should the Sharks scratch Marleau?? seriously.

Marleau fanboys and serious haters we know what you think...so sit this poll out.

I'd like to hear the unbiased opinions of the fans.

I think it's safe to say Patty has been a huge disappointment

dwood16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:08 PM
4ncea0hark8lways
Rookie User

We don't. Marleau, win or lose, needs to be a part of it. Call me crazy, but I really do expect to see a hockey Tom Brady next game.

4ncea0hark8lways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:12 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood16 View Post
Marleau fanboys and serious haters we know what you think...so sit this poll out.

I'd like to hear the unbiased opinions of the fans.

I think it's safe to say Patty has been a huge disappointment
If Clowe is out, they are kind of thin on options. More something like do you want some chance with Marleau or no chance with Desjardins, Mashinter, etc.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:14 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
If Clowe is out, they are kind of thin on options. More something like do you want some chance with Marleau or no chance with Desjardins, Mashinter, etc.
If Marleau is that hurt or "gutless" as he has looked, then yes, I am considering it. As usual I will accept the coaches decision, but he doesn't look good enough to be out there to me even if that means Mash is out there. At least he can hit and wear the team down and hopefully not make any glaring mistakes. Oh, wait. That's not a big deal, since Marleau is already making glaring mistakes.

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:24 PM
dwood16

Quote:
Easy, I respect your opinion whether or not agree with most times and you obviously know your stuff

... but is Desjardins or Mashinter really that much of a downgrade at this point? I mean Patty is making numerous mistakes a game and basically solely responsible for 1-2 goals a game of late.

Desjardins is a guy who dominates in big games at the AHL level and is always matched up against the top line. I know those guys aren't Datsyuk but still... do you think it would be worse than the current performance? for sure? and Mash has good skills AND battles hard. He is anything but "gutless"

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Einstein

Old
05-10-2011, 11:27 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Easy, I respect your opinion whether or not agree with most times and you obviously know your stuff

... but is Desjardins or Mashinter really that much of a downgrade at this point? I mean Patty is making numerous mistakes a game and basically solely responsible for 1-2 goals a game of late.

Desjardins is a guy who dominates in big games at the AHL level and is always matched up against the top line. I know those guys aren't Datsyuk but still... do you think it would be worse than the current performance? for sure? and Mash has good skills AND battles hard. He is anything but "gutless"

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Einstein
I know emotions are running high but you can't be serious about this right?

Might've just been me but Marleau was better in this game than he was in the last one - I know people will tell me he could't possibly be worse but you can't pin this game or any goals against on Marleau. This was a total (lack of) team effort plus the Wings getting to skate w/ 6 guys on the ice every once in a while.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:28 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:

Einstein
Ah, the good old insanity argument that is wrong every single time it is used for the purposes of professional sports. You win and lose as a team. This team is vastly different from last year and the year before and that team was different from the one before.

You want an individual gone, that's perfectly fine. Using that argument to support is inaccurate, ludicrous, and unfounded. The implication that the Sharks have been losing all these years because Patrick Marleau is on the team is ridiculous.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:28 PM
Sharkie1290

Lets get real now...you act like he was the only one turning the puck over high in the offensive zone. Everyone had a few mistakes tonight and everyone piles on top of Patty cuz he's Mr. Shark and an easy target.

You ride the guys who got you here...he better be in there

Sharkie1290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:33 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
If Marleau is that hurt or "gutless" as he has looked, then yes, I am considering it. As usual I will accept the coaches decision, but he doesn't look good enough to be out there to me even if that means Mash is out there. At least he can hit and wear the team down and hopefully not make any glaring mistakes. Oh, wait. That's not a big deal, since Marleau is already making glaring mistakes.
I have withheld, but now I will unload on you and others. You (collectively) don't like Marleau's personality. It doesn't fit that fantasy of what a hockey player should be (eg Nolan). Players come in all sorts of types. All of them make mistakes and brilliant plays. Admittedly, Patty has had mistakes but some of them have been team mistakes. He has also made some excellent plays in this series. Two of them for which he has been castigated started when JT initiated the cascade of mistakes of which Marleau was a part. How about the no looks high in the zone directly to Detroit sticks with no Shark in the vicinity? Two of those results in Marleau "errors". For JT it's "What kind of talcum powder do you want when we change your shortpants?" and for Marleau it is a witch hunt. Was everyone ready to run JT out of town when Bolland exposed him? The mistakes provide an excuse for you to vent your rage about a perceived personality rather than underlying issues. How about the fact that Babcock has had Marleau's number for eons in Detroit and knows just how to defend him and does focus on that.

Babcock salivates at the thought of Marleau being benched and he will focus elsewhere. Datsyuk is already taking Couture apart. As fans we should face the fact that it is a team game and if the other guys get the edge on one part of the Sharks, it is up to McLellan to find a way to create an edge in favor. IMO, that isn't benching Marleau. It is finding a way to create matchup issues for Babcock. Both teams are strong and full of skill and both coaches are up there as tacticians. We'll see what happens on Thursday.

Last edited by SJeasy: 05-10-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old
05-10-2011, 11:33 PM
gonegonegone*

if DW has told marleau that this is the last game he will play as a shark, then yes we scratch him. win or lose, marleau is gone.

if DW is going to not do anything to our 7 mil floater, then it would not make much sense to scratch him obviously.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:34 PM
SharksAddict

No, but I sure as hell wouldn't have him on the 1st PP unit. Let Heater shine on the PP.

SharksAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:35 PM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

Did you guys see us dominate detroit's defense with our incredible offense? Let's downgrade our offense by putting in desjardins instead of marleau just to give detroit a chance.

Marleau's been garbage but you can't be serious in wanting Desjardins or Mashinter to replace him in game 7. Sure they will probably work harder and skate harder than Marleau but they don't have the game-breaking potential Marleau has.

Negatively Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:37 PM
wtfisthis

Cant bench Marleau at this point, it would probably ruin the rest of his career seeing how mentally weak he is.

wtfisthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:41 PM
gonegonegone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfisthis View Post
Cant bench Marleau at this point, it would probably ruin the rest of his career seeing how mentally weak he is.
who cares? he's already wealthy 1000x times, and already in the twilight of his career. hopefully he no longer plays for the sharks after this too, so if he starts sucking in the reg, then it will be for another team.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:43 PM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
You want an individual gone, that's perfectly fine. Using that argument to support is inaccurate, ludicrous, and unfounded. The implication that the Sharks have been losing all these years because Patrick Marleau is on the team is ridiculous.
Marleau sure isn't helping the team win, which you expect out of a 7 million dollar player.

Again, as I said in earlier topics. You can't really scratch him. However, at this point, I wouldn't shed a tear if he wasn't on the team next year.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:43 PM
dwood16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Ah, the good old insanity argument that is wrong every single time it is used for the purposes of professional sports. You win and lose as a team. This team is vastly different from last year and the year before and that team was different from the one before.

Uhhhhhhhhhhh.... is this the first time he has been destroyed by Detroit? No, he has single handedly choked the series away against Detroit in the past too. How many awful games in a row does he have to play before you make the change???? answer that.

Old
05-10-2011, 11:45 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
I have withheld, but now I will unload on you and others. You (collectively) don't like Marleau's personality. It doesn't fit that fantasy of what a hockey player should be (eg Nolan). Players come in all sorts of types. All of them make mistakes and brilliant plays. Admittedly, Patty has had mistakes but some of them have been team mistakes. He has also made some excellent plays in this series. Two of them for which he has been castigated started when JT initiated the cascade of mistakes of which Marleau was a part. For JT it's "What kind of talcum powder do you want when we change your shortpants?" and for Marleau it is a witch hunt. Was everyone ready to run JT out of town when Bolland exposed him? The mistakes provide an excuse for you to vent your rage about a perceived personality rather than underlying issues. How about the fact that Babcock has had Marleau's number for eons in Detroit and knows just how to defend him and does focus on that.

Babcock salivates at the thought of Marleau being benched and he will focus elsewhere. Datsyuk is already taking Couture apart. As fans we should face the fact that it is a team game and if the other guys get the edge on one part of the Sharks, it is up to McLellan to find a way to create an edge in favor. IMO, that isn't benching Marleau. It is finding a way to create matchup issues for Babcock. Both team are strong and full of skill and both coaches are up there as tacticians. We'll see what happens on Thursday.

And now I will "unload" on you

You waited for this post? One in which I stated that it's the coaches decision whether to sit him or not based on a decision if he's that hurt or "gutless". Gutless which was put in quotes for a reason. Meaning it doesn't matter what the truth is.

I believe Marleau doesn't have the heart to be a winner. But that's just an outsiders opinion. Unprovable. So ****ing What. I know you can't site any instance to prove otherwise except maybe a game or two where he got pissed off.

He's a wuss. Plain and simple. His exceptional talent allows him to play in the NHL regardless of this fact.

The bottom line is he is sucking **** right now and if he's hurt I don't expect that to improve. So if it's not going to improve then it's time to move him to the press box.

He's avoiding hits and plays, can't keep the puck on his stick (not that that's a surprise) and just an overall liability on the ice for virtually the entire playoffs.

Now you have a reason to blast me.

Old
05-10-2011, 11:45 PM
dwood16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Fin Soup View Post
Did you guys see us dominate detroit's defense with our incredible offense? Let's downgrade our offense by putting in desjardins instead of marleau just to give detroit a chance.

Marleau's been garbage but you can't be serious in wanting Desjardins or Mashinter to replace him in game 7. Sure they will probably work harder and skate harder than Marleau but they don't have the game-breaking potential Marleau has.
Game breaking potential I never get tired of the word potential.

Old
05-10-2011, 11:47 PM
Squeeven

This game was just a defensive collapse as a whole. Marleau did nothing wrong that I can think of in this game. I think not having Clowe made a huge difference though. I hope to God that Clowe is back for game 7.

Squeeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:48 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
who cares? he's already wealthy 1000x times, and already in the twilight of his career. hopefully he no longer plays for the sharks after this too, so if he starts sucking in the reg, then it will be for another team.
NMC. You can say the same for JT as well. They aren't buying out either of them.

Old
05-11-2011, 12:02 AM
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!

Win or lose, we will have to do with with Fatty Marleau.

Gutless or not, he still poses as an offensive risk to Detroit. Mashinter, Desjardins do not.

DuckEatinShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 12:07 AM
SJeasy

Quote:

You waited for this post? One in which I stated that it's the coaches decision whether to sit him or not based on a decision if he's that hurt or "gutless". Gutless which was put in quotes for a reason. Meaning it doesn't matter what the truth is.

I believe Marleau doesn't have the heart to be a winner. But that's just an outsiders opinion. Unprovable. So ****ing What. I know you can't site any instance to prove otherwise except maybe a game or two where he got pissed off.

He's a wuss. Plain and simple. His exceptional talent allows him to play in the NHL regardless of this fact.

The bottom line is he is sucking **** right now and if he's hurt I don't expect that to improve. So if it's not going to improve then it's time to move him to the press box.

He's avoiding hits and plays, can't keep the puck on his stick (not that that's a surprise) and just an overall liability on the ice for virtually the entire playoffs.

He probably has more in his little finger than you and I put together. He doesn't express it in a way which you can appreciate. I might like Gary Cooper, you might like Jimmy Cagney. Personally I appreciate both. I don't overlook the good plays to focus on the bad ones. He has had hits in this series. He has taken a pounding in front of the net and helped without getting on the scoresheet on two of Seto's goals. I have seen him go all out in this series and I have seen him float. I have seen him freeze on indecision as I have seen other Sharks do. What I don't see from you is the same type of castigation for others as you heap upon Marleau when they do exactly as Marleau has. On top of all this, his +/- in the series and the team PK says he has been moderately effective. And yes, I want more.

Old
05-11-2011, 12:12 AM
dwood16

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeven View Post
This game was just a defensive collapse as a whole. Marleau did nothing wrong that I can think of in this game. I think not having Clowe made a huge difference though. I hope to God that Clowe is back for game 7.
Nothing wrong? How about blow his coverage completely to skate towards a guy who was already covered numerous times? Sometimes even below the goal line to leave a guy for a one timer slam dunk. Or instead of getting a puck deep with plenty of time and room, he passes it directly to the other team?

Did you actually watch the game? Can you watch it again and take notes? I'm being totally serious.

Saying that it was a defensive collapse as a whole is just plain wrong. There were guys who deserve some praise for sure.

Old
05-11-2011, 12:43 AM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Nothing wrong? How about blow his coverage completely to skate towards a guy who was already covered numerous times? Sometimes even below the goal line to leave a guy for a one timer slam dunk. Or instead of getting a puck deep with plenty of time and room, he passes it directly to the other team?

Did you actually watch the game? Can you watch it again and take notes? I'm being totally serious.

Saying that it was a defensive collapse as a whole is just plain wrong. There were guys who deserve some praise for sure.
I'm confused

Old
05-11-2011, 12:49 AM
Berto2k

We sat him one game last year when he was supposedly sick (although in a diff number game) and we won. History repeats itself right?

Berto2k is offline   Reply With Quote