HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Emelin close to signing 1-year deal with Habs

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-16-2011, 08:07 AM
  #701
Habitant le colon
Registered User
 
Habitant le colon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 954
vCash: 500
Kaberle/Wisniewski : Subban/Hedja : Gorges/Weber : Spacek/Yemelin ?

Habitant le colon is offline  
Old
05-16-2011, 08:10 AM
  #702
Hexenzesene
Registered User
 
Hexenzesene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 175
vCash: 500
No Kaberle please!

Hexenzesene is online now  
Old
05-16-2011, 08:17 AM
  #703
juve
Registered User
 
juve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 549
vCash: 500
Now that the World Champions are over, hopefully we can soon star the negotiations.

juve is offline  
Old
05-16-2011, 08:28 AM
  #704
Patccmoi
Registered User
 
Patccmoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by juve View Post
Now that the World Champions are over, hopefully we can soon star the negotiations.
They'll wait for a medical report now...

Patccmoi is offline  
Old
05-16-2011, 08:33 AM
  #705
Double XX L
Registered User
 
Double XX L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Barrie
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
I want Hejda because we need another defensive defensemen who can eat responsible minutes ala Gill but who is much much more mobile and just better as a player.
I gotta disagree on the needs of this team.

Left defence, we are almost set.
With the anticipated Markov & Gorges re-signing, and Spacek definately on our books for next season, Emelin coming over and being all but guaranteed a roster spot, the last thing we need to be doing is spending another few million on a guy who provides little offensive ability, and provides NO upgrade on what we can ice on the Left side.
Some day this organization is going to have to realize that to win this game, you do have to score goals more than the other team. It's great we can shut them down, however we have to get more 5 on 5. The problem is not defensive, it's offensive.

Defensively, I dont think anyone is hoodwinked how important it is to sign Wisniewski. <-- that's the guy we need, that's question mark.

Markov - Subban
Gorges-Wisniewski
Spacek - Weber
Emelin

Gorges playing with a legitimate puck mover... That's what I want to see
This team is built on speed/transition, so I think over the year, Emelin would eventually supplant Spaco on the depth chart (rendering Spaco as the #7).

Furthermore, re-signing Wiz, gives the PP options...

I'll sacrifice a bit of the defence, for more offence...

Looking at our numbers, we were 7th in PP, 7th in PK. We were 16th in 5/5 goals @ 1.01 p/g. Only 2 teams that made the playoffs were worse at this stat. Furthermore, the other majorly disturbing fact is our faceoff # leaves us 22nd in the NHL in that category. UFA wise, and repair wise, we have to focus on stronger play up front.

I want to point out to people that while many expected us to win out the game #7 against Boston... But the reason we were there in that game was in net, as we were outplayed by Boston all over the scoresheet, 46.3 % faceoff was third worst posted by a playoff team (behind NYR & Ana).
We were outshot in the series by an average of 2 shots a game, and for a supposed defensive team, we were allowing 35 shots a game on Price.
That correlates with the fact that we were 12/16 in SA only 1 team below us is still in the playoffs (TB), and all others were 1st round victims (Phx, Buf, LA)
The PK was perfect against Boston (0-21), and we lost. That alone says we did not score enough, and if we are to sacrifice ANYWHERE... a PK guy is where I would start...Esp, with a middle of the pack PP (7th in playoffs as well) and next to no 5/5 production in the playoffs (0.67 gpg) we were 12th again, and EVERY team below us, was out in the first round.

This team NEEDS to focus on 5/5 play next year and forthcoming years. the Wiz, while being dynamic on the PP simply has WAY more offensive tools to give to the club, and is not as bad defensively as some make him out to be... He has only posted 2 negative seasons in his entire career (and that has been on some subpar teams), in Anaheim, and as a member of this year's NY Islanders).
16/30 points came off the PP, so he helps us there, but he equally helps us 5/5 as well.

Resigning Hamrlik would be a better option than Hejda at this point. 5/5 they'd be similar, however Hamr has the ability to play PP, and PK, where Hejda is strictly PK... For reason's mentioned above, I want the habs to steer clear from this this summer. Too much of it already in the stable.

We always talk about guy who come in to prop up offensive guys defensive games... In montreal, it's quite the opposite. It's the offensive guys, who are squeaking wins out, and propping up the defensive stalwarts respect.

What are we going to do, if Cammalleri/Gionta go down? we're screwed. Heck, when a PROSPECT who didnt make this club in October went down, it spelt the end of offence in Montreal!

Double XX L is offline  
Old
05-16-2011, 08:38 AM
  #706
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,016
vCash: 500
Let's not forget that Vancouver was ready to give Bieksa away. He had a good year but he's coming off several bad ones.

waffledave is online now  
Old
05-16-2011, 08:42 AM
  #707
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
I gotta disagree on the needs of this team.

Left defence, we are almost set.
With the anticipated Markov & Gorges re-signing, and Spacek definately on our books for next season, Emelin coming over and being all but guaranteed a roster spot, the last thing we need to be doing is spending another few million on a guy who provides little offensive ability, and provides NO upgrade on what we can ice on the Left side.
Some day this organization is going to have to realize that to win this game, you do have to score goals more than the other team. It's great we can shut them down, however we have to get more 5 on 5. The problem is not defensive, it's offensive.

Defensively, I dont think anyone is hoodwinked how important it is to sign Wisniewski. <-- that's the guy we need, that's question mark.

Markov - Subban
Gorges-Wisniewski
Spacek - Weber

Emelin

Gorges playing with a legitimate puck mover... That's what I want to see
This team is built on speed/transition, so I think over the year, Emelin would eventually supplant Spaco on the depth chart (rendering Spaco as the #7).

Furthermore, re-signing Wiz, gives the PP options...

I'll sacrifice a bit of the defence, for more offence...

Looking at our numbers, we were 7th in PP, 7th in PK. We were 16th in 5/5 goals @ 1.01 p/g. Only 2 teams that made the playoffs were worse at this stat. Furthermore, the other majorly disturbing fact is our faceoff # leaves us 22nd in the NHL in that category. UFA wise, and repair wise, we have to focus on stronger play up front.

I want to point out to people that while many expected us to win out the game #7 against Boston... But the reason we were there in that game was in net, as we were outplayed by Boston all over the scoresheet, 46.3 % faceoff was third worst posted by a playoff team (behind NYR & Ana).
We were outshot in the series by an average of 2 shots a game, and for a supposed defensive team, we were allowing 35 shots a game on Price.
That correlates with the fact that we were 12/16 in SA only 1 team below us is still in the playoffs (TB), and all others were 1st round victims (Phx, Buf, LA)
The PK was perfect against Boston (0-21), and we lost. That alone says we did not score enough, and if we are to sacrifice ANYWHERE... a PK guy is where I would start...Esp, with a middle of the pack PP (7th in playoffs as well) and next to no 5/5 production in the playoffs (0.67 gpg) we were 12th again, and EVERY team below us, was out in the first round.

This team NEEDS to focus on 5/5 play next year and forthcoming years. the Wiz, while being dynamic on the PP simply has WAY more offensive tools to give to the club, and is not as bad defensively as some make him out to be... He has only posted 2 negative seasons in his entire career (and that has been on some subpar teams), in Anaheim, and as a member of this year's NY Islanders).
16/30 points came off the PP, so he helps us there, but he equally helps us 5/5 as well.

Resigning Hamrlik would be a better option than Hejda at this point. 5/5 they'd be similar, however Hamr has the ability to play PP, and PK, where Hejda is strictly PK... For reason's mentioned above, I want the habs to steer clear from this this summer. Too much of it already in the stable.

We always talk about guy who come in to prop up offensive guys defensive games... In montreal, it's quite the opposite. It's the offensive guys, who are squeaking wins out, and propping up the defensive stalwarts respect.

What are we going to do, if Cammalleri/Gionta go down? we're screwed. Heck, when a PROSPECT who didnt make this club in October went down, it spelt the end of offence in Montreal!
I don't feel like responding to whole thing, but that defense is weak.

I don't want to retain Wisniewski if I don't have a solid defensive D. Hamrlik covered a lot of Wisniewski's mistakes. We downgrade with that type of D.

With Markov and the emergence of Subban, we do not necessarily need Wisniewksi especially if you think Weber is gonna have more of a role. A solid defensive D with a bit of size(doesn't have to be physical) who can eat 25-28 solid minutes is really needed next season especially with the system Martin plays. We will get eaten alive with that defense.

Andy is online now  
Old
05-16-2011, 08:43 AM
  #708
juve
Registered User
 
juve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patccmoi View Post
They'll wait for a medical report now...
He got injured?

juve is offline  
Old
05-16-2011, 08:43 AM
  #709
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Let's not forget that Vancouver was ready to give Bieksa away. He had a good year but he's coming off several bad ones.
He's also not getting the top match-ups. I'm really iffy about Bieksa as our big signing. He's not a top pairing defensemen and benefits from playing against easier match-ups.

Andy is online now  
Old
05-16-2011, 08:46 AM
  #710
AllCanadienFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
He's also not getting the top match-ups. I'm really iffy about Bieksa as our big signing. He's not a top pairing defensemen and benefits from playing against easier match-ups.
Didn't he play against Thornton and Marleau last night?

AllCanadienFan is offline  
Old
05-16-2011, 08:54 AM
  #711
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCanadienFan View Post
Didn't he play against Thornton and Marleau last night?
Marleau has been a non-factor the entire playoffs(1 point in the enture Red-wings series). Thornton and Marleau are not even the Sharks top line. Clowe and Couture have been driving teams crazy and act more as the top line than Marleau and Thorton. And surprise surprise, Thornton and Marleau score yesterday.

Andy is online now  
Old
05-16-2011, 08:55 AM
  #712
Patccmoi
Registered User
 
Patccmoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by juve View Post
He got injured?
I encourage you to read the last 2 pages of this very thread.

Patccmoi is offline  
Old
05-16-2011, 08:55 AM
  #713
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 26,040
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant le colon View Post
Kaberle/Wisniewski : Subban/Hedja : Gorges/Weber : Spacek/Yemelin ?
I think Kaberle has played his way out of any interest I had in him. Never shoots the puck on the PP, always chooses the same old slap-pass, and turns the puck over quite a bit. Maybe he's not blending in with Boston, maybe its the pressure in the playoffs, but whatever it is, it doesn't look good on him.

Crimson Skorpion is offline  
Old
05-16-2011, 09:00 AM
  #714
Double XX L
Registered User
 
Double XX L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Barrie
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
I don't feel like responding to whole thing, but that defense is weak.

I don't want to retain Wisniewski if I don't have a solid defensive D. Hamrlik covered a lot of Wisniewski's mistakes. We downgrade with that type of D.

With Markov and the emergence of Subban, we do not necessarily need Wisniewksi especially if you think Weber is gonna have more of a role. A solid defensive D with a bit of size(doesn't have to be physical) who can eat 25-28 solid minutes is really needed next season especially with the system Martin plays. We will get eaten alive with that defense.
The best defence is offence. We can be as defensively secure as we want to be, but if we dont score, we dont win. How does a 20 point Hejda add to offence?
Weber will NOT replace what Wisniewski provides, and just because he provides offence, it does not mean he was as bad defensively as people make him out to be.
Had wiz played an entire season here, he not only would have led us in points, but he would also have challenged in Hits, (56 in 43 games, Blocked shots 84 in 43 games).

As for Hamr 'covering' for Wiz... that's what the defensive guy in the pairing is for. 1 to focus on offence, the other to focus on defence.

that line up gives us 3 pairs of defence, who can all play both ways.
What is weak is our Canadiens not able to get the puck in to the o-zone competently, because we have too many guys afraid to take a risk on the ice. No creativity on the point, I want to ice a team that can transition better than the opposition. Because we CLEARLY are not going to intimidate them defensively.

The thing that I dont understand from your perspective, is that Wiz has proven to be effective 5/5, effective on the PP, cause lets be honest, without him, we dont make the playoffs this past year, and he isnt a shrinking violet (the guy is 5'11, 208, and hits hard... esp. open ice).

I dont see how you could think that Hejda/Gill style player is/was more valuable to this team than Wiz is/was.

We CANNOT afford to lose goals this summer. We MUST gain in order to take the next step.

Double XX L is offline  
Old
05-16-2011, 09:09 AM
  #715
TheBuriedHab
Registered User
 
TheBuriedHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
The best defence is offence. We can be as defensively secure as we want to be, but if we dont score, we dont win. How does a 20 point Hejda add to offence?
Weber will NOT replace what Wisniewski provides, and just because he provides offence, it does not mean he was as bad defensively as people make him out to be.
Had wiz played an entire season here, he not only would have led us in points, but he would also have challenged in Hits, (56 in 43 games, Blocked shots 84 in 43 games).

As for Hamr 'covering' for Wiz... that's what the defensive guy in the pairing is for. 1 to focus on offence, the other to focus on defence.

that line up gives us 3 pairs of defence, who can all play both ways.
What is weak is our Canadiens not able to get the puck in to the o-zone competently, because we have too many guys afraid to take a risk on the ice. No creativity on the point, I want to ice a team that can transition better than the opposition. Because we CLEARLY are not going to intimidate them defensively.

The thing that I dont understand from your perspective, is that Wiz has proven to be effective 5/5, effective on the PP, cause lets be honest, without him, we dont make the playoffs this past year, and he isnt a shrinking violet (the guy is 5'11, 208, and hits hard... esp. open ice).

I dont see how you could think that Hejda/Gill style player is/was more valuable to this team than Wiz is/was.

We CANNOT afford to lose goals this summer. We MUST gain in order to take the next step.
Wiz was brought in to replace the Offense lost from Markov, and he has already come out and stated he thinks the team will pick between him and Markov. Thats probably news relayed from his agent. So if we do sign Markov, Wiz is gone. We do need guys like Gill to clear the crease, and shutdown other teams lines. Those guys ARE important. With Emelin probably coming, and Markov resigning there is only one spot left to fill. Which I feel will and should go to hal Gill, who players like Josh Gorges have said need to be back.

TheBuriedHab is offline  
Old
05-16-2011, 09:16 AM
  #716
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
The best defence is offence. We can be as defensively secure as we want to be, but if we dont score, we dont win. How does a 20 point Hejda add to offence?
It's not supposed to add offense. It's not concievable to spend the entire game in the opposing team's zone. You will spend time in your own end every game and we need guys who can play solid minutes back there. Hejda provides good size, not physical, but he can win 1 on 1 battles which we need from our d and has good mobility.

Quote:
Weber will NOT replace what Wisniewski provides, and just because he provides offence, it does not mean he was as bad defensively as people make him out to be.
Had wiz played an entire season here, he not only would have led us in points, but he would also have challenged in Hits, (56 in 43 games, Blocked shots 84 in 43 games).
We don't need Weber to replace Wisniewski's offense. We're bringing back Markov. He effectively replaces all of Wisniewski's offense while being superior defensively.

Quote:
that line up gives us 3 pairs of defence, who can all play both ways.
What is weak is our Canadiens not able to get the puck in to the o-zone competently, because we have too many guys afraid to take a risk on the ice.
The Canadiens had enough puckmovement from the back end with Wisniewski, Subban and hamrlik(yes Hamrlik had a good first pass). The problem with teh Canadiens is that Hamrlik, Spacek and Gill had literally zero mobility and it showed and cost us many games.


Quote:
No creativity on the point, I want to ice a team that can transition better than the opposition. Because we CLEARLY are not going to intimidate them defensively.
Markov, Subban, Weber all move the puck and will all play on different pairings. Also Hejda has a good first pass despite not being an offensive defensemen.


Quote:
The thing that I dont understand from your perspective, is that Wiz has proven to be effective 5/5, effective on the PP, cause lets be honest, without him, we dont make the playoffs this past year, and he isnt a shrinking violet (the guy is 5'11, 208, and hits hard... esp. open ice).
Obviously we don't every team needs offense from the back. With Markov and Subban it becomes a little redundant. There are very good options on the market a lot of whom are superior to Wisniewski. Wisniewski will command a lot of money which I feel he won't deserve.
Quote:
I dont see how you could think that Hejda/Gill style player is/was more valuable to this team than Wiz is/was.
Markov replaces Wisniewski. Hejda replaced what Hamrlik and Gill brought, not hard to understand.
Quote:
We CANNOT afford to lose goals this summer. We MUST gain in order to take the next step.
We're not. Markov is superior to Wisniewski in everyway, including offensively. Subban will also progress his offensive game.

Andy is online now  
Old
05-16-2011, 09:21 AM
  #717
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
We don't need Weber to replace Wisniewski's offense. We're bringing back Markov. He effectively replaces all of Wisniewski's offense while being superior defensively.
Have to agree here.

If they bring back Markov, Subban and Weber (and maybe Diaz) then that's a guy on every single pair that has offensive skills.

Example:

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
Emelin - Weber
Spacek

That is three well, well balanced pairs on the back end. Weber doesn't need to get 50 points, Markov will do that. Subban might too. If Weber plays a full season, develops his two way game and contributes a good solid 20-30 points, the team is set on the back end.

Plus we have Spacek when Weber or Emelin need a day off to get their head on straight, or if there are injuries. Over a limited period, Spacek could play on any of those pairs.

Lucius is offline  
Old
05-16-2011, 09:23 AM
  #718
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
I gotta disagree on the needs of this team.

Left defence, we are almost set.
With the anticipated Markov & Gorges re-signing, and Spacek definately on our books for next season, Emelin coming over and being all but guaranteed a roster spot, the last thing we need to be doing is spending another few million on a guy who provides little offensive ability, and provides NO upgrade on what we can ice on the Left side.
Some day this organization is going to have to realize that to win this game, you do have to score goals more than the other team. It's great we can shut them down, however we have to get more 5 on 5. The problem is not defensive, it's offensive.

Defensively, I dont think anyone is hoodwinked how important it is to sign Wisniewski. <-- that's the guy we need, that's question mark.

Markov - Subban
Gorges-Wisniewski
Spacek - Weber
Emelin

Gorges playing with a legitimate puck mover... That's what I want to see
This team is built on speed/transition, so I think over the year, Emelin would eventually supplant Spaco on the depth chart (rendering Spaco as the #7).

Furthermore, re-signing Wiz, gives the PP options...

I'll sacrifice a bit of the defence, for more offence...

Looking at our numbers, we were 7th in PP, 7th in PK. We were 16th in 5/5 goals @ 1.01 p/g. Only 2 teams that made the playoffs were worse at this stat. Furthermore, the other majorly disturbing fact is our faceoff # leaves us 22nd in the NHL in that category. UFA wise, and repair wise, we have to focus on stronger play up front.

I want to point out to people that while many expected us to win out the game #7 against Boston... But the reason we were there in that game was in net, as we were outplayed by Boston all over the scoresheet, 46.3 % faceoff was third worst posted by a playoff team (behind NYR & Ana).
We were outshot in the series by an average of 2 shots a game, and for a supposed defensive team, we were allowing 35 shots a game on Price.
That correlates with the fact that we were 12/16 in SA only 1 team below us is still in the playoffs (TB), and all others were 1st round victims (Phx, Buf, LA)
The PK was perfect against Boston (0-21), and we lost. That alone says we did not score enough, and if we are to sacrifice ANYWHERE... a PK guy is where I would start...Esp, with a middle of the pack PP (7th in playoffs as well) and next to no 5/5 production in the playoffs (0.67 gpg) we were 12th again, and EVERY team below us, was out in the first round.

This team NEEDS to focus on 5/5 play next year and forthcoming years. the Wiz, while being dynamic on the PP simply has WAY more offensive tools to give to the club, and is not as bad defensively as some make him out to be... He has only posted 2 negative seasons in his entire career (and that has been on some subpar teams), in Anaheim, and as a member of this year's NY Islanders).
16/30 points came off the PP, so he helps us there, but he equally helps us 5/5 as well.

Resigning Hamrlik would be a better option than Hejda at this point. 5/5 they'd be similar, however Hamr has the ability to play PP, and PK, where Hejda is strictly PK... For reason's mentioned above, I want the habs to steer clear from this this summer. Too much of it already in the stable.

We always talk about guy who come in to prop up offensive guys defensive games... In montreal, it's quite the opposite. It's the offensive guys, who are squeaking wins out, and propping up the defensive stalwarts respect.

What are we going to do, if Cammalleri/Gionta go down? we're screwed. Heck, when a PROSPECT who didnt make this club in October went down, it spelt the end of offence in Montreal!
Well thought out post and 100% correct. I'm not sure where this thought that our most glaring need is adding more defensive depth, without really upgrading anything. Our D is fine, it was decimated with injuries this year and still fared well. Our offense, on the other hand is putrid, always struggling to score 5vs5. We need to improve in this area, adding another 1 dimensional, zero offense guy is what we need less of, not more of.

habsjunkie2* is offline  
Old
05-16-2011, 09:30 AM
  #719
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis
 
Playmaker09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
We CANNOT afford to lose goals this summer. We MUST gain in order to take the next step.
And so your plan is to spend 5 million dollars on a defenseman who would be completely redundant, as he would be playing 2nd/3rd pairing and 2nd unit PP? If you want to add offense then spend that money more wisely and add a forward(s).

Markov>Wiz any day anyway and we're adding Emelin. If mgmt is honestly spending more time debating whether or not to re-sign someone who brings nothing needed to the table than on improving our offense, then I'd have to think they're idiots.

Playmaker09 is offline  
Old
05-16-2011, 09:44 AM
  #720
Papa Bear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 214
vCash: 500
The one thing I would say about the other commentary on this page is that I think it will be hard for this team to take the next step with defensive d-men who cannot move the puck.

While I agree that defensive d-men are important, they cannot only be the "throw it off the glass" types, because if they are, you significantly limit the offense you can create on the counter attack.

Gill and Hamrlik gave us all they had, but neither could really carry the puck out of the zone and it cost us a lot of extra zone time. Hamrlik was near awful in the last quarter of the season and the playoffs.

I'm not saying bring Wiz back (although I actually did the math and if he's willing to sign for about 4.25, you can do both him AND Markov) but you can NEVER have enough puck moving d-men that can play about 20 minutes+ a game. Especially with Markov's freakish health issues over the last 3 seasons.

Papa Bear is offline  
Old
05-16-2011, 09:55 AM
  #721
Papa Bear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
And so your plan is to spend 5 million dollars on a defenseman who would be completely redundant, as he would be playing 2nd/3rd pairing and 2nd unit PP? If you want to add offense then spend that money more wisely and add a forward(s).

Markov>Wiz any day anyway and we're adding Emelin. If mgmt is honestly spending more time debating whether or not to re-sign someone who brings nothing needed to the table than on improving our offense, then I'd have to think they're idiots.
Have you checked who is available in this year's UFA list? There's really only one player worth 5M or more and that's Brad Richards.
Spending even 4M on the other forwards available for more than 1-2 years would be an overpayment, especially since few (if any) will actually outperform Wiz's production from this season.

Papa Bear is offline  
Old
05-16-2011, 09:59 AM
  #722
Gainey#1*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ottawa/Calgary
Posts: 2,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
The one thing I would say about the other commentary on this page is that I think it will be hard for this team to take the next step with defensive d-men who cannot move the puck.

While I agree that defensive d-men are important, they cannot only be the "throw it off the glass" types, because if they are, you significantly limit the offense you can create on the counter attack.

Gill and Hamrlik gave us all they had, but neither could really carry the puck out of the zone and it cost us a lot of extra zone time. Hamrlik was near awful in the last quarter of the season and the playoffs.

I'm not saying bring Wiz back (although I actually did the math and if he's willing to sign for about 4.25, you can do both him AND Markov) but you can NEVER have enough puck moving d-men that can play about 20 minutes+ a game. Especially with Markov's freakish health issues over the last 3 seasons.
I couldn't agree more, especially with our system and the type of players we have. Our forwards need our dmen to be able to make an efficient first pass to them out of our zone.

Markov, Wisniewski and Subban can all do that.

I really hope we can keep James, but I just don't see it happening. Unfortunately, I also don't see us using the money to improve our forwards, or at least make us bigger.

Gainey#1* is offline  
Old
05-16-2011, 10:02 AM
  #723
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis
 
Playmaker09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
Have you checked who is available in this year's UFA list? There's really only one player worth 5M or more and that's Brad Richards.
Spending even 4M on the other forwards available for more than 1-2 years would be an overpayment, especially since few (if any) will actually outperform Wiz's production from this season.
Then you look for a trade. Even if, in the end, there's absolutely nothing you can do to improve your offense, I'd rather keep the cap space and add a player at the deadline than handcuff ourselves with an expensive defenseman we don't need when Subban/Price need raises next year.

Playmaker09 is offline  
Old
05-16-2011, 10:36 AM
  #724
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 24,362
vCash: 500
This thread is about Emelin, keep it on topic.

__________________



"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline  
Old
05-16-2011, 10:36 AM
  #725
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 21,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
He's also not getting the top match-ups. I'm really iffy about Bieksa as our big signing. He's not a top pairing defensemen and benefits from playing against easier match-ups.
I can only hope Vancouver gets impressed by Bieksa and decide to focus on him this summer instead of Ehrhoff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
I don't feel like responding to whole thing, but that defense is weak.

I don't want to retain Wisniewski if I don't have a solid defensive D. Hamrlik covered a lot of Wisniewski's mistakes. We downgrade with that type of D.

With Markov and the emergence of Subban, we do not necessarily need Wisniewksi especially if you think Weber is gonna have more of a role. A solid defensive D with a bit of size(doesn't have to be physical) who can eat 25-28 solid minutes is really needed next season especially with the system Martin plays. We will get eaten alive with that defense.
In his post, he pairs Wiz with Gorges, who's a solid defensive D, probably more so than Hammer.
I don't think it is a downgrade, the difference in my book is I would put Ehrhoff there instead of Wiz, but I would be fine with starting the year with that D squad if need be.
If the playoffs were in any way indicative of what we need, it's puck moving Dmen. Personally, I always felt like you couldn't have enough of them.
In the new NHL, the need for a minute eating defensive Dman isn't as important as it once was. I woudn't have a problem bringing Hejda in as well, but if we're going to sign 1 UFA, without re-signing Wiz, I'd rather it be Ehrhoff.

Up front, I'm not convinced our top 6 will change, but am hoping for at least one signing. MaxPac should start the year with us this time around and I think we'll re-sign AK. But we still need to improve is our depth on the wings. Plek, Gomez, Eller, DD, Pyatt, I think we're set at center, but I might be tempted to bring in another one that is a FO specialist, like Belanger. On the wings however, one injury means having a scrapper on the top lines. I will be extremely pissed if I see Moen, Halpern or Darche on the top lines again. Eller and AK have shown good things together, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing them paired together and given another winger that is fast that likes to battle the boards, that way AK wouldn't have to be the main guy to do it on his line (like with Plek/Cammy as he's the bigger one) and focus more on the things he's good at. A Scotty Upshall type of signing, not necessarily a top 6, but a skilled enough offensively to put up some points.
That would open up a spot for our top 6. A name often thrown around on these boards is Laich, but there are a bunch of other interesting ones that I wouldn't be so quick to toss aside like Jokinen, Kopecky and Glencross. If it's for the bottom lines, then there's plenty of guys like Rupp, Larose and Ward that can be interesting.

Time will tell what happens, but if we sign Emelin, I don't think it gives us much room to go after a guy like Hejda. On Defense, we should focus on re-signing Markov, Gorges and Weber. If Gauthier opts to re-sign Wiz as well, I can live with that as well although I'd prefer Ehrhoff.

It'll be interesting to see what goes down.

Kriss E is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.