HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Travel help to New Jersey

Old
05-11-2011, 10:16 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I'd also like to catch a game at MSG (since god knows it is probably just a bit of a classier building than Rexall Place
Having been to both, I can assure you that Rexall Place is nicer than MSG. The only NHL arena worse than MSG, is Nassau Coliseum.

Quote:
Yeesh now you have scared me from going to MSG. Nut I mainly wanted to see it because of the history.
There is no "history" at MSG. It was built in the 60s. It's decrepit and aging, and there is virtually no hockey "history" at this building.

Quote:
I've been to 3 NHL arenas so far(Rexall Place, Pengrowth Saddledome and the Bank Atlantic Center) and the Panthers arena is like night and day to Edmonton's and Calgary's.
I've been to all 3 of those too, and The Rock is nicer than Florida's arena, so you will be pleased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
DON'T DO IT!!!

AVOID MSG AT ALL COSTS!!!
That said, the above is ridiculous. If you enjoy watching hockey, you'll have fun at the game. Hell, I even have fun at Islanders games, and their building is worse than most NCAA barns.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 10:22 PM
Devils Nick30

Some of the inside of MSG should be renovated by next season though, shouldn't it?

Devils Nick30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 11:29 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Yah I will make the Pru mandatory and I will only do MSG if I have time. I kinda want to see all the buildings one day. Also they make such a stink in Edmonton that we need a new building because its so bad so I kinda want to see it more now that some of you have said you have seen both and say Rexall is better. But I only will if I got time or if the Rags are playing a decent team that we would only see every other year in Edmonton.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 11:32 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv4Life View Post
Is the cruise dock in Bayonne?

A warning: The train from the airport to Pru is $8.25 one way for a 5 minute trip. You could take a bus and save about $7 bucks each way but as a tourist you're not gonna like it.
Why is it so expensive? People above were saying it was $5 one-way. Also why wouldn't I like the regular bus? I take Edmonton transit semi-regularly.

Yes the cruise dock is in Bayonne.

Old
05-11-2011, 11:41 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Why is it so expensive? People above were saying it was $5 one-way. Also why wouldn't I like the regular bus? I take Edmonton transit semi-regularly.

Yes the cruise dock is in Bayonne.
The airport rates are jacked up. From Newark Penn, it's 5 each way, from the airport it's more. Take the bus like Koho said. Or hell, just get a hotel by Newark Penn, they'll shuttle you to the airport.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 11:42 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

The Newark Hilton isn't too bad actually. Expedia books it kinda cheap. they have a shuttle to the airport, it's a five minute walk from Prudential Center and a one minute walk to Newark Penn Station.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 12:38 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Yah I was looking into the prices a bit further and I found out that it costs $50 by taxi to get to the Bayonne cruise port. I found that the Best Western by the airport will shuttle you to the cruise dock, prudential center, penn station and the outlet mall. Heard the shuttle is so/so as in it only operates on a fixed schedule but that's basically the same as a bus just not a frequent. But that looks like the best option to me so far.

Thanks to everyone who has responded you have been very helpful.

Also I noticed someone above said Parise won't be here next season. Why would NJ get rid of Parise? Or does that particular person not like Parise?

Old
05-12-2011, 01:32 AM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Quote:
Yeesh now you have scared me from going to MSG. Nut I mainly wanted to see it because of the history. Rexall is pretty bad and the only time its awesome to be there is when the crowd is going nuts and that hasn't happened since 2006. I've been to 3 NHL arenas so far(Rexall Place, Pengrowth Saddledome and the Bank Atlantic Center) and the Panthers arena is like night and day to Edmonton's and Calgary's.

As for the ticket offer I will keep you in mind when we make solid dates. We are waiting to book our flights right now until they release the NHL schedule. Last year it was just prior to the draft so hopefully in another month or so we will have a better idea.
Go see a game at MSG. You never know if you'll get the opportunity ever again. It's pretty cool walking out of the arena and being right in the middle of Manhattan. If your schedule permits, definitely try to catch an Isles - Rangers game or Rangers - Devils game. It's a great time.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 07:29 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Send a message via AIM to cj225
Quote:
Yah I was looking into the prices a bit further and I found out that it costs $50 by taxi to get to the Bayonne cruise port. I found that the Best Western by the airport will shuttle you to the cruise dock, prudential center, penn station and the outlet mall. Heard the shuttle is so/so as in it only operates on a fixed schedule but that's basically the same as a bus just not a frequent. But that looks like the best option to me so far.

Thanks to everyone who has responded you have been very helpful.

Also I noticed someone above said Parise won't be here next season. Why would NJ get rid of Parise? Or does that particular person not like Parise?
If it was Muttley..ignore it!

Parise will be here next season.

cj225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 08:28 AM
HBK27

MSG is a dump, but it's still worth it to go see a game at any arena if you're in the area and have an opportunity. If you're coming in October though, you may not have a chance since renovations start this summer and the Rangers are going to spend all of the preseason and beginning of the regular season on the road while phase I of construction wraps up.

HBK27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 09:57 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov 28 View Post
Go see a game at MSG. You never know if you'll get the opportunity ever again. It's pretty cool walking out of the arena and being right in the middle of Manhattan. If your schedule permits, definitely try to catch an Isles - Rangers game or Rangers - Devils game. It's a great time.
Man its friggen crazy that you guys have three buildings so close to one another. No wonder players love the East more due to the travel. Closest arenas to Edmonton are the Saddledome(3 hour drive) and GM Place (14 hour drive). If Winnipeg ever gets a team back it will give GM Place a run for its money time wise from Edmonton.

But that's exactly it, I'd just want to to go to MSG because it's an older building and hosts one of the original 6 and just being a fan of hockey in general. Love to get to Nassau Colliseum too but I know its further out there and not sure if we will have enough time.

Old
05-12-2011, 10:05 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK27 View Post
MSG is a dump, but it's still worth it to go see a game at any arena if you're in the area and have an opportunity. If you're coming in October though, you may not have a chance since renovations start this summer and the Rangers are going to spend all of the preseason and beginning of the regular season on the road while phase I of construction wraps up.
Ya so more than likely we won't be able to see anything before our trip but possibly at the end of October once we are back in New Jersey, we plan on staying a couple more days post cruise as well.

Also can someone confirm if this is correct that taking a taxi from Newark airport area to Bayonne cruise dock would cost roughly $50 due to the toll roads?

Old
05-12-2011, 10:12 AM
PacManNJD
@DeFazioNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Ryder View Post
The Newark Hilton isn't too bad actually. Expedia books it kinda cheap. they have a shuttle to the airport, it's a five minute walk from Prudential Center and a one minute walk to Newark Penn Station.
The 1960's/1970's exterior looks kinda prison-ish, but from what I heard, it's decent.

PacManNJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 11:11 AM
theking72
Confucius Ackbar

vCash: 1120
Quote:
Ya so more than likely we won't be able to see anything before our trip but possibly at the end of October once we are back in New Jersey, we plan on staying a couple more days post cruise as well.

Also can someone confirm if this is correct that taking a taxi from Newark airport area to Bayonne cruise dock would cost roughly $50 due to the toll roads?
Tolls are not a concern as you get there on using I-78 which is not a toll road. $50 seems steep for a 10 mile or so drive; are you talking about an airport taxi or private car service??

theking72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 11:32 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by theking72 View Post
Tolls are not a concern as you get there on using I-78 which is not a toll road. $50 seems steep for a 10 mile or so drive; are you talking about an airport taxi or private car service??
I believe it was referring to a taxi.

As for the I-78, Google maps has it listed as a toll road. Better get on them for giving you guys a bad rep.

Old
05-12-2011, 12:48 PM
HBK27

Quote:
I believe it was referring to a taxi.

As for the I-78, Google maps has it listed as a toll road. Better get on them for giving you guys a bad rep.
I-78 itself isn't a toll road, but it pretty much turns into the Turnpike Extension, which is a toll road. You'd have to take the Extension from exit 14 to 14A - but it's only $1.10 each way according to the NJ Turnpike site.

$50 is a bit steep, but I could see that being the going rate. I think that's about what it costs from Hoboken - Newark Airport, though Bayonne is closer.

HBK27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Quote:
But that's exactly it, I'd just want to to go to MSG because it's an older building and hosts one of the original 6 and just being a fan of hockey in general.
And if you do indeed decide to go there, make sure to report back here and tell us your disappointments.

Have a great trip!

And watch out for the guidos, they will try to hit on your girl.

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 08:47 PM
Bleedred
Buyout bone dust

Madison Square Garden I don't think is too bad. It's better, and more updated than The Coliseum. The Coliseum is just really dated. Dare I say MSG was better than Izod/Continental/Byrne the last few years the Devils were playing there. Fight me if you want on that one. I would love to go to Rexall, because so many great games happened there with those Oilers teams in the 80s. MSG sucks if you have to park there though.

Enjoy your trip! Where are you cruising too? Sorry if you mentioned already I just skimmed too fast!

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 09:35 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK27 View Post
I-78 itself isn't a toll road, but it pretty much turns into the Turnpike Extension, which is a toll road. You'd have to take the Extension from exit 14 to 14A - but it's only $1.10 each way according to the NJ Turnpike site.

$50 is a bit steep, but I could see that being the going rate. I think that's about what it costs from Hoboken - Newark Airport, though Bayonne is closer.
Yah after searching around more yesterday it seems that most people report paying a $35 cab fare from the area. I found that the best western has a shuttle but it costs $20/person one-way. They also take you to the Pru, Penn Station and the Jersey Mall, but they charge $12.50/room one-way for that service. So I'm think for the local stuff it will probably be cheaper to just use the hotel shuttles to the airport and then use local transportation or even a cab(depending where the hotel is) from the airport.

Old
05-13-2011, 09:38 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
And if you do indeed decide to go there, make sure to report back here and tell us your disappointments.

Have a great trip!

And watch out for the guidos, they will try to hit on your girl.
Hahaha, guidos.

Catching a game at The Pru is a must but we only have like a 3-4day window to catch a game and if the Devils are on a road trip we are hooped. Like I said I wouldn't mind seeing all the buildings including the Isles.

Old
05-13-2011, 09:41 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Madison Square Garden I don't think is too bad. It's better, and more updated than The Coliseum. The Coliseum is just really dated. Dare I say MSG was better than Izod/Continental/Byrne the last few years the Devils were playing there. Fight me if you want on that one. I would love to go to Rexall, because so many great games happened there with those Oilers teams in the 80s. MSG sucks if you have to park there though.

Enjoy your trip! Where are you cruising too? Sorry if you mentioned already I just skimmed too fast!
That's the thing with Rexall, yah a lot of great games did happen there but the place is a dump. Especially now that the team blows its not even fun going to games anymore, the crowd is just so deflated as soon as the other team scores and has the lead. Aside from the season opener last year against Calgary and a few games sparsely in between, there hasn't been much reason to buy tickets to a game in Edmonton since the 05/06 season. I have probably attended 30 games since that season and I think I have only paid for two of those games.

As for the cruise we are doing a 9-day cruise up he coast to Canada/New England and then a 5-day cruise to Bermuda. But it's still a ways away as it's in October.

Old
05-13-2011, 10:35 AM
Bleedred
Buyout bone dust

Bermuda huh? Sounds nice! I bet that place was going crazy though when the Oilers beat the Canucks though! I watched both of those games cause I would stay up to watch the games out west in the Western Conference. I forgot if the first game was in Vancouver or Edmonton, but one was in Edmonton, and one in Vancouver. It was like the last week of the season, and I don't think the Oilers had won a game in a month, but they the team with the worst record in the league, beat Vancouver the team with the best record two games in a row! Pretty sure the first game of that week was in Vancouver cause I remember thinking how huge it was for the Oilers to beat the Presidents Trophy team in their own building after not winning for a month. Then they beat them again a few nights later in Edmonton!

Old
05-13-2011, 11:36 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Bermuda huh? Sounds nice! I bet that place was going crazy though when the Oilers beat the Canucks though! I watched both of those games cause I would stay up to watch the games out west in the Western Conference. I forgot if the first game was in Vancouver or Edmonton, but one was in Edmonton, and one in Vancouver. It was like the last week of the season, and I don't think the Oilers had won a game in a month, but they the team with the worst record in the league, beat Vancouver the team with the best record two games in a row! Pretty sure the first game of that week was in Vancouver cause I remember thinking how huge it was for the Oilers to beat the Presidents Trophy team in their own building after not winning for a month. Then they beat them again a few nights later in Edmonton!
Yep that's how it went, the first game was in Van then the 2nd was in Edm. I mean yah I'm probably short changing the crowd. The crowd that night was still nothing like it was in the playoffs, like I said that Calgary game is the closest the crowd has ever come to that.

For the most part I dislike the building because its old and decrepit. They had to close down half a section of seats for a game this season as the roof was leaking like crazy and dripping water all over the seats. The concourses and bathroom are small and tight and very hard to navigate in a timely manner. If you don't leave your seat early prior to an intermission, you will more than likely use the entire intermission going to the bathroom.

Old
05-13-2011, 11:57 AM
Bleedred
Buyout bone dust

Quote:
Yep that's how it went, the first game was in Van then the 2nd was in Edm. I mean yah I'm probably short changing the crowd. The crowd that night was still nothing like it was in the playoffs, like I said that Calgary game is the closest the crowd has ever come to that.

For the most part I dislike the building because its old and decrepit. They had to close down half a section of seats for a game this season as the roof was leaking like crazy and dripping water all over the seats. The concourses and bathroom are small and tight and very hard to navigate in a timely manner. If you don't leave your seat early prior to an intermission, you will more than likely use the entire intermission going to the bathroom.
Haha! I like how arenas, and even stadiums, but moreso arenas built in the 70s seem older than people born in the 70s! I mean they seem older than a car from the 70s, but people live in houses hundreds of years old with no problem! I remember visiting Mcnichols out in Denver once in the late 90s. Where the Avalanche played, and where the Devils played when they were the Rockies. It was only 20 years old, but it was just so dated looking. It was more dated then than the Coliseum on Long Island was at the time. The Coliseum is worse now though than Big Mac was then. They tore down Mcnichols, and it wasn't even 25 years old! Pepsi Center is a very nice venue though. Prudential actually reminds me of it a little bit.

The Meadowlands arena opened in 81, and it's got that dated feel to it now. The Nets are out of it now too, and they wanna close it down. A few concerts a year, Disney on ice, and WWE wrestling events now, and then are all they're doing there now. i remember it getting bad reviews, and they considered it the worst arena in both the NBA, and NHL for the last few years. Yankee stadium had only one big renovation in it's lifetime, and it was going from 1923 to 2008! Shea was dated though. I see these newer arenas lasting a long time though. I see Prudential outliving Meadowlands arena at least two times if not three. Same with New Meadowlands stadium outliving Giants Stadium maybe by three times.

Boston Garden now there is an arena that lasted almost 70 years! There is talk of moving the Islanders to this new Barclays Center with the Nets if that's ever finished. Nassau Coliseum is like watching a game in the 70s still. I mean every time I'm there I almost feel like I'm watching Chico Resch, Mike Bossy, Clark Gillies, and Bryan Trottier down there! I also feel like I have a big white dude fro, and a polyester shirt with the top buttons undone exposing my chesthair! I don't know if Rexall feels like that! I wonder if it does! I don't get the 70s feeling at MSG though. I actually get a modern times feeling. Maybe an early 00s or late 90s feel!

Old
05-13-2011, 12:33 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Haha! I like how arenas, and even stadiums, but moreso arenas built in the 70s seem older than people born in the 70s! I mean they seem older than a car from the 70s, but people live in houses hundreds of years old with no problem! I remember visiting Mcnichols out in Denver once in the late 90s. Where the Avalanche played, and where the Devils played when they were the Rockies. It was only 20 years old, but it was just so dated looking. It was more dated then than the Coliseum on Long Island was at the time. The Coliseum is worse now though than Big Mac was then. They tore down Mcnichols, and it wasn't even 25 years old! Pepsi Center is a very nice venue though. Prudential actually reminds me of it a little bit.

The Meadowlands arena opened in 81, and it's got that dated feel to it now. The Nets are out of it now too, and they wanna close it down. A few concerts a year, Disney on ice, and WWE wrestling events now, and then are all they're doing there now. i remember it getting bad reviews, and they considered it the worst arena in both the NBA, and NHL for the last few years. Yankee stadium had only one big renovation in it's lifetime, and it was going from 1923 to 2008! Shea was dated though. I see these newer arenas lasting a long time though. I see Prudential outliving Meadowlands arena at least two times if not three. Same with New Meadowlands stadium outliving Giants Stadium maybe by three times.

Boston Garden now there is an arena that lasted almost 70 years! There is talk of moving the Islanders to this new Barclays Center with the Nets if that's ever finished. Nassau Coliseum is like watching a game in the 70s still. I mean every time I'm there I almost feel like I'm watching Chico Resch, Mike Bossy, Clark Gillies, and Bryan Trottier down there! I also feel like I have a big white dude fro, and a polyester shirt with the top buttons undone exposing my chesthair! I don't know if Rexall feels like that! I wonder if it does! I don't get the 70s feeling at MSG though. I actually get a modern times feeling. Maybe an early 00s or late 90s feel!
It's hard to tell I don't have much comparison as the only other NHL arenas I have been to are the Saddledome which is fairly comparable except more space in the concourse, but a far worse view if you are up in the 3rd deck as you can not see the scoreboard(instead they have the small crappy scoreboard that one would have a local high school in the gym and a couple round tube(at least they were when I was there 5 years ago) TV's to see replays). The other arena was the Panthers arena and like I said earlier it was like night and day, we were up in the 3rd deck and the sightlines were awesome and there was so much room on the outter concourses. If you are a smoker(which I'm not) but they had balcony's you could go out on on the 2nd and 3rd decks to go smoke instead of having to go back to the main doors. The concessions and the variety of food and drink choices were also far superior to Rexall. I think once a year we hear a story about the Rexall concessions and how they are not meeting food and safety standards.