HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

An Islanders fan coming in peace

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-14-2011, 11:14 PM
  #101
LetsGoIslanders
Registered User
 
LetsGoIslanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,474
vCash: 500
Thanks to all the Ranger fans who have given us support in this thread, we need all the help we can get. If you have any family members in Nassau, please encourage them to turn out and vote "yes." And if they want to vote "no," tell them the vote is on September 1st. You might be our most hated rival, but it's a big brother-little brother relationship.

LetsGoIslanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 01:48 AM
  #102
dynamoovechkin
Registered User
 
dynamoovechkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Country: United States
Posts: 454
vCash: 500
Sure I hate the Isles as much as any Ranger fan. They will always be a laughing stock of an organization because of their insane owner and mook fans (some, not all).

But keeping them on the Island and viable is, IMHO, good for hockey.
Even when they suck, which is often, our games against them are always an event. I never fail to get a kick out of how we turn their building into ours with the majority of fans supporting the Rangers. As an Isles fan, that would drive me crazy, and I just revel in that.

I live out west, but I am going to ask my family in Nassau to vote yes. Where would we be without our red headed stepchild to kick around? Life is just more fun when the sad sack Isles are getting pummeled every year and are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs in February.

I say, let their fan base's suffering continue! Save the Isles!

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 02:35 AM
  #103
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 8,167
vCash: 500
Islanders would be better served being in Flushing Meadows anyway. Public transportation stop right there, nice area, additional fans from the city.

I truly think they are better served moving there. The coliseum is a ***** to get to for a lot of people

And I assure you, if one more tax dollar is spent on building damn stadiums in this city/state, there is no way in hell I'm voting yes.

It's the principle of the vote. Sometimes there are bigger things than sports and in my opinion, one of those is how your money is spent.

And I don't want to hear anyone say "if it was the Rangers you'd act differently." In fact, I wouldn't.

I was a season ticket holder to the Rangers for ten years. This past year, not only did they raise ticket prices, but they forcibly changed by seats to the 400's since i was unwilling to move to center ice and higher prices. Because of this, i canceled my subscription. Although I still attend games, this was a hard thing for me and my family to do, considering how big fans we are. But it comes down to the principle of the matter.

I'm not paying a ******* dime to the county to build an arena for a hockey team when this state is in a deficit. ******** raises all over the place are caused by the recession, unemployment is still high, and we're thinking about giving money to a ****ing lighthouse project? Give me a ****ing break.

Tell Wang, to take some of his billions, pony up the damn money and build his own arena if he wants it that badly.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 08:36 AM
  #104
Isles4ever11
Registered User
 
Isles4ever11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: Ghana
Posts: 10,953
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Islanders would be better served being in Flushing Meadows anyway. Public transportation stop right there, nice area, additional fans from the city.

I truly think they are better served moving there. The coliseum is a ***** to get to for a lot of people

And I assure you, if one more tax dollar is spent on building damn stadiums in this city/state, there is no way in hell I'm voting yes.

It's the principle of the vote. Sometimes there are bigger things than sports and in my opinion, one of those is how your money is spent.

And I don't want to hear anyone say "if it was the Rangers you'd act differently." In fact, I wouldn't.

I was a season ticket holder to the Rangers for ten years. This past year, not only did they raise ticket prices, but they forcibly changed by seats to the 400's since i was unwilling to move to center ice and higher prices. Because of this, i canceled my subscription. Although I still attend games, this was a hard thing for me and my family to do, considering how big fans we are. But it comes down to the principle of the matter.

I'm not paying a ******* dime to the county to build an arena for a hockey team when this state is in a deficit. ******** raises all over the place are caused by the recession, unemployment is still high, and we're thinking about giving money to a ****ing lighthouse project? Give me a ****ing break.

Tell Wang, to take some of his billions, pony up the damn money and build his own arena if he wants it that badly.
Yeah, he wanted to do that except the Town didn't let him.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 11:26 AM
  #105
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 8,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
Yeah, he wanted to do that except the Town didn't let him.
Then you change your initial proposal and retry it.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 09:19 PM
  #106
Hockify
Registered User
 
Hockify's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Then you change your initial proposal and retry it.
They did that. Beleive me I keep up with the Isles fans and the Islanders did retry. The town will only approve something like this, that's their issue. The county and the Islanders wanted to do it different but they can't because of the way the laws are on Long Island with things like this the town has all the power over the county.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 07:23 AM
  #107
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Islanders would be better served being in Flushing Meadows anyway. Public transportation stop right there, nice area, additional fans from the city.

I truly think they are better served moving there. The coliseum is a ***** to get to for a lot of people
absolutely 100% wrong. Public transportation? Only line on LIRR that runs to Shea is Pt Washington, not easy to get to. Anyone else, has to go to Woodside, get off and take a train back to Shea. If you have never done that ride, try it one day. Annoying as hell.


My guess is all the people saying "Good, let them move because I hate them" are all under 25 years old and have no recollection (sp?) of when this truly was a great great rivalry. I can understand those who are opposed because they are afraid it will cost the tax payers money. Those who don't want it, because of a hatred for the team are plain foolish.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 07:39 AM
  #108
JanErixon20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
absolutely 100% wrong. Public transportation? Only line on LIRR that runs to Shea is Pt Washington, not easy to get to. Anyone else, has to go to Woodside, get off and take a train back to Shea. If you have never done that ride, try it one day. Annoying as hell.


My guess is all the people saying "Good, let them move because I hate them" are all under 25 years old and have no recollection (sp?) of when this truly was a great great rivalry. I can understand those who are opposed because they are afraid it will cost the tax payers money. Those who don't want it, because of a hatred for the team are plain foolish.
This was never really a great rivalry for the Rangers, unless you like losing to the Islanders in the playoffs, outside of 1979. Ken Morrow's OT goal was a great moment in Rangers history. Please.

The games were entertaining. The Rangers won some of them, but at the end of the day, it was the Islanders winning Stanley Cups. Maybe it's because I was younger and going to junior high at the time, but I didn't enjoy that rivalry all that much.

JanErixon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 09:22 AM
  #109
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 8,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
absolutely 100% wrong. Public transportation? Only line on LIRR that runs to Shea is Pt Washington, not easy to get to. Anyone else, has to go to Woodside, get off and take a train back to Shea. If you have never done that ride, try it one day. Annoying as hell.


My guess is all the people saying "Good, let them move because I hate them" are all under 25 years old and have no recollection (sp?) of when this truly was a great great rivalry. I can understand those who are opposed because they are afraid it will cost the tax payers money. Those who don't want it, because of a hatred for the team are plain foolish.
How is that absolutely wrong? I live in port washington so yes, it is easy for me. But do you realize how it is damn near impossible right now for ANYONE from the city to even go to an islander game. They basically need to know someone on the island or take a bus there.

Why do they have to go to woodside? The Port washington line runs directly into penn station. People coming from the city won't have to do that at all. They can simply take a subway to penn and then the lirr to the shea stop, much easier than the way it is now.

It will still be annoying for people to do the double transportation but at least if someone from the city wants to see an islander game they can just hop on the lirr now. I go to quite a few islander games each year and i can tell you, i rarely meet anyone from the city. If you don't think that would change by them moving to flushing then i don't know what to tell you. Clearly it won't be like MSG but it is certainly much easier.


And if i had my choice, no, i wouldn't want the islanders to move. I absolutely want them to remain somewhere nearby, whether that is flushing or long island as i love hockey and still enjoy the rivalry that exists between them and the rangers. But to think that ill be ok with paying extra taxes due to them wanting a new arena, no thank you. Maybe some people here have cushy jobs that allow them to not fret over things like this, but i know, as a recent college graduate, that i can't afford to have one cent added due to their new stadium.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 09:31 AM
  #110
nyscene
Registered User
 
nyscene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: PANIC!
Posts: 2,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
Take a hike Islanders fans. Stop graveling for support. We pay ENOUGH in taxes and yet Nassau is in money crisis and you think you DESERVE A LOAN?
Out of curiosity, do you have a problem with the fact that MSG has gotten over $300million in tax breaks since the 80's?

You know how they got it too, right? By threatening to move the Knicks & Rangers to New Jersey.

Face it, almost every major sports team is going to get some local financial support to stay where they are. The Yankees and Mets did. The Rangers & Knicks do. The devils did. Why anybody selectively has issues with one team looking for it is blind homerism.

nyscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 09:41 AM
  #111
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
How is that absolutely wrong? I live in port washington so yes, it is easy for me. But do you realize how it is damn near impossible right now for ANYONE from the city to even go to an islander game. They basically need to know someone on the island or take a bus there.

Why do they have to go to woodside? The Port washington line runs directly into penn station. People coming from the city won't have to do that at all. They can simply take a subway to penn and then the lirr to the shea stop, much easier than the way it is now.

It will still be annoying for people to do the double transportation but at least if someone from the city wants to see an islander game they can just hop on the lirr now. I go to quite a few islander games each year and i can tell you, i rarely meet anyone from the city. If you don't think that would change by them moving to flushing then i don't know what to tell you. Clearly it won't be like MSG but it is certainly much easier.


And if i had my choice, no, i wouldn't want the islanders to move. I absolutely want them to remain somewhere nearby, whether that is flushing or long island as i love hockey and still enjoy the rivalry that exists between them and the rangers. But to think that ill be ok with paying extra taxes due to them wanting a new arena, no thank you. Maybe some people here have cushy jobs that allow them to not fret over things like this, but i know, as a recent college graduate, that i can't afford to have one cent added due to their new stadium.
The last thing they should do is move deeper into Rangers territory. Their fan base is Nassau and Suffolk County. Moving further from them will not help, it will hurt them. The only people it would benefit are those Isles fans who work in the city and if they take the train, it is still a pain in the neck to get to most towns after the game from Shea. People in the city are not going to go out for Islanders games.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 10:08 AM
  #112
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 8,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
The last thing they should do is move deeper into Rangers territory. Their fan base is Nassau and Suffolk County. Moving further from them will not help, it will hurt them. The only people it would benefit are those Isles fans who work in the city and if they take the train, it is still a pain in the neck to get to most towns after the game from Shea. People in the city are not going to go out for Islanders games.
What? That is so misinformed. Are the mets considered in "yankee" territory. Moving to flushing would allow the islanders to expose themselves to millions of new fans in the city. Their prices would be better than the rangers and their games are more fan friendly. Long island has its fair share of hockey fans but the area they play in now is so hard to get to, not only for city folk but people on l.i as well. It's literally in the middle of nowhere.

Makes much more sense to have an arena in flushing than in uniondale.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 01:20 PM
  #113
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
What? That is so misinformed. Are the mets considered in "yankee" territory. Moving to flushing would allow the islanders to expose themselves to millions of new fans in the city. Their prices would be better than the rangers and their games are more fan friendly. Long island has its fair share of hockey fans but the area they play in now is so hard to get to, not only for city folk but people on l.i as well. It's literally in the middle of nowhere.

Makes much more sense to have an arena in flushing than in uniondale.
Comparing the Mets-Yankees situation to the Isles-Rangers is ridiculous. The NL had a presence in NYC for 50+years. The original Mets fans were old Dodgers/Giants fans who hated the Yankees. Hockey is completely different. The arena is not currently in the middle of nowhere. Hempstead Tpke, accessible by the Meadowbrook, which connects the Southern State to the Northern State and LIE. If you want to claim there is not much around there in terms of bars restaurants, I'd agree. Hence why Wang wanted to develop the area. You have a few bars by Hofstra, Champions in the Marriot, and a few down Hempstead Tpke in East Meadow.

Long-term, their attendance would go down in Queens once the novelty of the new arena wears off. For every fan that travels out from the city, they will lose 2 from places like Seaford, Massapequa, Dix Hills, Lindenhurst who do not want to make the trip to Queens in that traffic or have to take the ridiculous train ride. Besides, you ever try getting to Shea from any other borough besides Manhattan? Try getting there from Brooklyn, The Bronx, or even Southern Queens.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 01:40 PM
  #114
TheGrapesOfMcIlrath
Gooey
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,792
vCash: 500
I don't necessarily have a problem with taxpayer funding of new stadiums/arenas. However, as a taxpayer I would be looking for transparent, unequivocal evidence that the new venue would more than pay back the taxpayers with the increased tax revenue, jobs, etc.

If it's just a way to milk the residents of a locality for funding, then I'm totally against it.

TheGrapesOfMcIlrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 01:43 PM
  #115
gotmonte
Registered User
 
gotmonte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyscene View Post
Out of curiosity, do you have a problem with the fact that MSG has gotten over $300million in tax breaks since the 80's?

You know how they got it too, right? By threatening to move the Knicks & Rangers to New Jersey.

Face it, almost every major sports team is going to get some local financial support to stay where they are. The Yankees and Mets did. The Rangers & Knicks do. The devils did. Why anybody selectively has issues with one team looking for it is blind homerism.

LOL Wait, you want to cry about the Rangers getting 300 million over 30 YEARS YET you want the islanders to be given 400 MILLION to an owner who is stingy?

The town wont allow him to spend HIS money to build a stadium, right? Wrong. Its because he wanted to build elaborate malls, hotels, AND the stadium.

Convince me how the Town wont allow him to use all his money on building JUST the Stadium, but they will consider giving him a 400 MILLION DOLLAR loan. lol

Stop the whinning. You wont be getting ANY support from THIS Rangers fan. Or better yet, THIS TAX PAYER.

The Rangers and the Knicks are the city. They MAKE the city in Sports. Islanders are a classless organization (and I really stretch the term "organization" when in regards to the Icelanders) and they are money driven. Again, Tell Wang to 1)- Pony up the money for the Stadium HIMSELF. and 2)- Pay players (star players) big money so you can have a good franchise, instead of trying to figure out how to spend TO the cap FLOOR.

And to the poster who asked if the Rangers fans who dont agree with this movement, we must all be 25 years old or younger. Nope, I am 35 years old. Tax Payer. Home Owner. Civil Service Worker too.

And before you go off and say YOU pay MY salary. Civil Service workers pay into their own salary with the taxes I pay PLUS the 1127 tax for the exclusive right to WORK in the city. LOL They make us pay to the city even though I dont rest my head in the filth of the city

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 03:45 PM
  #116
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 8,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Comparing the Mets-Yankees situation to the Isles-Rangers is ridiculous. The NL had a presence in NYC for 50+years. The original Mets fans were old Dodgers/Giants fans who hated the Yankees. Hockey is completely different. The arena is not currently in the middle of nowhere. Hempstead Tpke, accessible by the Meadowbrook, which connects the Southern State to the Northern State and LIE. If you want to claim there is not much around there in terms of bars restaurants, I'd agree. Hence why Wang wanted to develop the area. You have a few bars by Hofstra, Champions in the Marriot, and a few down Hempstead Tpke in East Meadow.

Long-term, their attendance would go down in Queens once the novelty of the new arena wears off. For every fan that travels out from the city, they will lose 2 from places like Seaford, Massapequa, Dix Hills, Lindenhurst who do not want to make the trip to Queens in that traffic or have to take the ridiculous train ride. Besides, you ever try getting to Shea from any other borough besides Manhattan? Try getting there from Brooklyn, The Bronx, or even Southern Queens.
The ridiculous train ride? That ridiculous train ride is as long as the general drive to the coliseum. It costs the exact same amount due to how much they charge for parking. Try getting to the coliseum now from any borough in the city. I guarantee most people won't because its so annoying to get to. I really can't believe you're being so blind as to not realize how many more fans the islanders will be exposed to by having a direct link to the city.

I'm also not up for arguing with someone that is so stuck on their point. Right now, the coliseum is damn near impossible for anyone from the five boroughs to get to. It is strictly for long islanders. Die hard isles fans from the island will continue going to games, while a whole new influx of fans will be generated due to the arena being near the city.

W/e you have your opinion i have mine. I truly think they would be better suited starting over in flushing, away from nassau, where they will always be hindered by the laws and the niche fans they are forced to appeal to.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 03:53 PM
  #117
TheGrapesOfMcIlrath
Gooey
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
The ridiculous train ride? That ridiculous train ride is as long as the general drive to the coliseum. It costs the exact same amount due to how much they charge for parking. Try getting to the coliseum now from any borough in the city. I guarantee most people won't because its so annoying to get to. I really can't believe you're being so blind as to not realize how many more fans the islanders will be exposed to by having a direct link to the city.

I'm also not up for arguing with someone that is so stuck on their point. Right now, the coliseum is damn near impossible for anyone from the five boroughs to get to. It is strictly for long islanders. Die hard isles fans from the island will continue going to games, while a whole new influx of fans will be generated due to the arena being near the city.

W/e you have your opinion i have mine. I truly think they would be better suited starting over in flushing, away from nassau, where they will always be hindered by the laws and the niche fans they are forced to appeal to.
Maybe some competition within the city limits would also force MSG to lower their damn ticket prices too! It's ridiculous how that greedy ****** Dolan keeps pricing the hardcore fans out of the market.

TheGrapesOfMcIlrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 03:54 PM
  #118
nyscene
Registered User
 
nyscene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: PANIC!
Posts: 2,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
LOL Wait, you want to cry about the Rangers getting 300 million over 30 YEARS YET you want the islanders to be given 400 MILLION to an owner who is stingy?
You fail to understand the issue here. Charles Wang is not going to the county "thank you very much, I'll take that 350million (the portion allocated for the new arena) and you'll never see it again." Rather, the county will sell the bonds to finance the new arena, with revenues from the arena, ballpark etc. paying the county back. The purpose of it is that it is much cheaper for a gov't to get funding for a large project like this than an individual.

So, explain to me, how is paying back to the county, with interest, worse than not paying $300million+ in taxes over the past 30 years?

Quote:
The town wont allow him to spend HIS money to build a stadium, right? Wrong. Its because he wanted to build elaborate malls, hotels, AND the stadium.
Yes he did. Chiefly because its not his property in the first place. If I'm going to front that much money to repair/replace something that belongs to someone else (the Coliseum is Nassau County property), that I damn well better be getting something in return.
Quote:
Convince me how the Town wont allow him to use all his money on building JUST the Stadium, but they will consider giving him a 400 MILLION DOLLAR loan. lol
Town's not giving the loan, county is. Completely different animals. One struck down the lighthouse project over concerns over traffic, water usage, schools, and probably NIMBYism. The other recognizes that they are receiving revenue every year from the coliseum, and losing that revenue stream will mean taxes will have to go up. There is also the issue of Civic Pride that some people have.

Quote:
Stop the whinning. You wont be getting ANY support from THIS Rangers fan. Or better yet, THIS TAX PAYER.
But they may get a loan using your tax money. Doesn't matter if you personally support it, if the politicians voted into office do, its done.

Quote:
The Rangers and the Knicks are the city. They MAKE the city in Sports. Islanders are a classless organization (and I really stretch the term "organization" when in regards to the Icelanders) and they are money driven. Again, Tell Wang to 1)- Pony up the money for the Stadium HIMSELF. and 2)- Pay players (star players) big money so you can have a good franchise, instead of trying to figure out how to spend TO the cap FLOOR.
Really, they are the city? I would assume that, you know, Wall St. is a much bigger part of the city. Or even Broadway (whose shows play to packed houses every night of the year). Not to mention the fact that the Rangers & Knicks COMBINED do not even hold a candle to what the Yankees are to the city.

Quote:
And to the poster who asked if the Rangers fans who dont agree with this movement, we must all be 25 years old or younger. Nope, I am 35 years old. Tax Payer. Home Owner. Civil Service Worker too.

And before you go off and say YOU pay MY salary. Civil Service workers pay into their own salary with the taxes I pay PLUS the 1127 tax for the exclusive right to WORK in the city. LOL They make us pay to the city even though I dont rest my head in the filth of the city
Congrats? I'm a homeowner too, and yes taxes suck. But my only point here is that I recognize this is how modern sports works.

nyscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 07:47 PM
  #119
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
The ridiculous train ride? That ridiculous train ride is as long as the general drive to the coliseum. It costs the exact same amount due to how much they charge for parking. Try getting to the coliseum now from any borough in the city. I guarantee most people won't because its so annoying to get to. I really can't believe you're being so blind as to not realize how many more fans the islanders will be exposed to by having a direct link to the city.

I'm also not up for arguing with someone that is so stuck on their point. Right now, the coliseum is damn near impossible for anyone from the five boroughs to get to. It is strictly for long islanders. Die hard isles fans from the island will continue going to games, while a whole new influx of fans will be generated due to the arena being near the city.

W/e you have your opinion i have mine. I truly think they would be better suited starting over in flushing, away from nassau, where they will always be hindered by the laws and the niche fans they are forced to appeal to.
I live on the south shore of Staten Island now, and since moving here have gone out to the Coliseum a few times for games. My brother lives in Brooklyn, and goes out for every Isles-Penguins game. The Islanders are a LONG ISLAND team. Hate to break it to you, no way does it take as long to drive from Massapequa to the Coliseum as it would to take the train to Woodside and then back out to Shea.

When the Devils were thinking of going to Newark, were you saying they should move to the Bronx so they can draw fans from the city?

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 07:53 AM
  #120
JanErixon20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 461
vCash: 500
I spoke with two friends last week who live in Nass. Cty., one a NYR fan, one a NYI, and both said they are voting no, mainly because they don't trust what they are being told. The Islander fan said he would love for them to stay, obviously, but taxes are crazy as it is and he doesn't see how they are doing this without tax payer help.

JanErixon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 10:48 AM
  #121
GeorgeHamiltonsTan
Registered User
 
GeorgeHamiltonsTan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Then you change your initial proposal and retry it.
im with you 110% on this one...
as a nassau resident there is no way on gods green earth I will vote for this knowing damn well the county has only considered this based on the fact that we all know this is going to result in increased taxes to bail out this mess. This team has been drawing 10K or less in that arena for the better part of 20 yrs, sure a shiny new arena will spark interest for a year, maybe 2, then itll be business as usual. look at the devils and the rock for evidence. So a team who has failed to draw more than 10K consistently while selling tix for under $20 and ANOTHER minor league baseball team is going to cover the cost of this "plan"? i dont see it. If the town didnt want to move forward with this when wang was willing to foot the bill why should I vote yes to it knowing thsi is clearly a ploy to suck more cash out of the tax payers, WHEN this does fail...and it will. I love the isles/rangers rivalry as much as anyone but im not paying another dime in my already ridiculous taxes to foot the bill for the islanders or anyone else for that matter...hello no.
they need to either accept a plan from wang that puts the bill on his wallet and leaves the taxpayers ot of harms way, otherwise adios. enough is enough.

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 12:36 PM
  #122
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,593
vCash: 500
Someone on another board made a good point about this vote. Yes, there are many people who will not vote for this to happen. However, will those people actually go out to vote, "no"? Remember, there is a difference between not voting for this to pass and actually voting no. I wouldn't be surprised if this passes by an overwhelming majority, but with a VERY poor voter turnout.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 01:33 PM
  #123
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHamiltonsTan View Post
This team has been drawing 10K or less in that arena for the better part of 20 yrs, sure a shiny new arena will spark interest for a year, maybe 2, then itll be business as usual. look at the devils and the rock for evidence.
But again, that's 41 nights per year. I would hope the idea is for this facility to generate income 300+ nights per year.

I'm not arguing for the arena, but I think if you offer people a better experience for a hockey game, monster trucks or Lady Gaga, you can earn more than you're earning now with that miserable building.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 12:13 AM
  #124
gotmonte
Registered User
 
gotmonte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,545
vCash: 500
Mr. Wang.. Put some money INTO the team (and NO NOT JUST WHILE THEIR IS A VOTE GOING TO GET YOUR TEAM A NEW ARENA AND STADIUM) and then we will see.

You want to cry you are losing money, crappy team. Yet you are trying to SPEND TO THE CAP FLOOR?! Please.

An Arena I can understand. The Elaborate Malls, Stadiums, Hotels ect ect is too much.

Now in the eleventh hour of your teams existence on Long Island, you want to squeak in a Stadium too? Why cant you just build an ARENA? And thats it? And I am SURE you have enough to put MOST the money up for your Arena. And dont give me that "He wont own the land" business.. Surely if you have an Arena built, you will profit, no? I mean, thats the basis of the argument FOR THE LOAN. Profit gains?

I obviously dont like the Islanders, but at a time where SCHOOL TEACHERS AND OUR KIDS EDUCATION IS TAKING MASSIVE HITS DUE TO BUDGET PROBLEMS, I fail to see how helping the Islanders get an Arena AND a Stadium will help the BIG PROBLEMS. Islanders are a TEAM. A SPORTS TEAM. Our KIDS ARE SUFFERING WITH THESE OVER-CRAMING SCHOOL ROOMS... TEACHERS GETTING LAYED OFF.. HEALTH CARE ISSUES.. BUT YEAH, LETS HELP THE ISLANDERS GET A STADIUM AND AN ARENA.

Bad money management. Dont tell me how much you THINK you will generate. Not at this time. Not with my kids future up in the air with school issues. YOU MAY generate that much money. But you may NOT. And what happens if Wang and his Islanders flop? Dont bring in the money they claim? What happens then? Loans expunged, budgets tossed in the trash. Forced to sell his franchise and repay the COUNTY. Sell the team for 140 million dollars and owe a lot more.

Stop. If you dont have the money to BUY YOUR TEAM, BUILD AN ARENA (you claim it is so bad to play there, why the hell did you buy it in the first place?!) and market it.. DONT BUY IT. Its NOT MY FAULT WANG BOUGHT A FLOP OF A FRANCHISE. Its not MY FAULT Wang has eyes bigger than his head (leave off the racist comments of Asians please... this is not the time nor the place for that garbage). He bought the franchise, cried to the county about wanting to build a massive structure; malls, arena, stadium, hotels, food venues ect ect. Very egotistical of him to automatically think he would get PERMITS FOR ALL THIS. Then he scaled it down. Still couldnt get the permits. Aha, here is an idea. DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU SPEND MILLIONS UPON MILLIONS. Wang made a bad business deal. My kids education shouldnt suffer to right his mistake.

You want to do good out there? Vote for No Education Budget Cuts. Not Money for the Islanders and Charles Wang. Another multi-millionaire crying he needs help to keep making his millions upon millions.

Hey Wang, your team is losing money? Sell it like the last schmuck did to an even BIGGER SCHMUCK or relocate and start over somewhere else

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 07:46 AM
  #125
GeorgeHamiltonsTan
Registered User
 
GeorgeHamiltonsTan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Someone on another board made a good point about this vote. Yes, there are many people who will not vote for this to happen. However, will those people actually go out to vote, "no"? Remember, there is a difference between not voting for this to pass and actually voting no. I wouldn't be surprised if this passes by an overwhelming majority, but with a VERY poor voter turnout.
judging by friends/neighbors i've spoken with there may be a surprising amount of folks who show up to vote against this mess. people are already feeling overwhelmed with the insane tax situation and general cost of living in Nassau, now you want to even discuss the possibility the taxpayer being hit with the bill for wangs pet project? its not going to be taken as lightly as you might think. I for one will be voting H.E. double hockey stix NO!

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.