HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Did the Buffalo series cost Flyers in second round?

Old
05-12-2011, 02:15 AM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddkaz View Post
GARTH is that you?
That kind of ridiculous assumption amounts to a personal attack

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 02:18 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
By a goaltender who's never defeated the Sabres in his life?
FWIW, the Versus announcers said during the Caps-Lightning series that Roloson only had 2 career wins in over a dozen career games against Washington, prior to that series....

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 06:53 AM
ct2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
You have got to put last seasons behind you, that was last season. What's true for one season isn't going to be true for the next. Maybe last season the Flyers really believed they could win the Cup with those goalies, maybe they had enthusiasm that season and of course they still had Gagne, without him they would have never come back to beat the Bruins.

But how did that season end? It literally ended with a soft goal from their 3rd stringer, who they had zero confidence in this season. And so now, THIS season, would you be as enthusiastic knowing that your goal-tending is just as shaky and unproven? And no Norris-type guy to try and compensate for them? I still maintain that the events of last season and the this season combined to demoralize their team.

And if the Sabres pounded them down physically, and broke their will, then why were they the team blowing 3 goal leads and getting pinned in their own zone for 60 second shifts?

Don't get me wrong, there's a reason why the Sabres pay a Ryan Miller 6+ million a year. It's to avoid the merry-go-fail. But without a couple of grinders that are skilled enough to play on the scoring lines, the Sabres don't have a forecheck. No forecheck=playing in your zone and not theirs, and that means you don't have the puck.
Maybe they were demoralized, but to me the Bruins are still the better team, from offense to defense to goaltending and that's why they lost.

The Sabres blew enough 2+ leads this regular season, even against teams that aren't as good as the Flyers. Philly coming back had just as much to do with the Sabres and not just because Philly is the better team. I still stand by that they both were playing equally good (aside from the last game) when things were tied. Boston is on paper a better team than the Sabres, not surprising that they would outplay the Flyers and NOT suddenly stop playing just because they're up.

Pinning things on the goaltending when you lose by that much in basically every game is a way to give everyone else an easy out. An out they possibly don't deserve. They had enough troubles in the regular season with that horrible play down the stretch that I believe that their issues are not only rooted in their goaltending troubles. Their goaltending was decent enough in the regular season that their GM decided to trade for a glorified 3rd liner and not a goalie. If he thought that his players didn't believe in whoever was in goal, I'm sure he would've traded for Roloson/Vokoun instead.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 08:03 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgn View Post
Maybe they were demoralized, but to me the Bruins are still the better team, from offense to defense to goaltending and that's why they lost.

The Sabres blew enough 2+ leads this regular season, even against teams that aren't as good as the Flyers. Philly coming back had just as much to do with the Sabres and not just because Philly is the better team. I still stand by that they both were playing equally good (aside from the last game) when things were tied. Boston is on paper a better team than the Sabres, not surprising that they would outplay the Flyers and NOT suddenly stop playing just because they're up.

Pinning things on the goaltending when you lose by that much in basically every game is a way to give everyone else an easy out. An out they possibly don't deserve. They had enough troubles in the regular season with that horrible play down the stretch that I believe that their issues are not only rooted in their goaltending troubles. Their goaltending was decent enough in the regular season that their GM decided to trade for a glorified 3rd liner and not a goalie. If he thought that his players didn't believe in whoever was in goal, I'm sure he would've traded for Roloson/Vokoun instead.
The Bruins are the better team, I concur. Especially with Krejci and Marchant and with the Flyers without Pronger and Carter. Even if the Flyers goalies played above average, and they gave it 110%, the Bruins probably still would have won. But it would have taken 6 or 7 hard fought games and not a sweep with 3 games that were rather easy.

I'm not one too but all the blame on the goalies, but I am smart enough to acknowledge that they play the most important role on a team. If your last line of defense is weak, it affects a skater's mindset. If you have a great goalie, it also changes your mindset but in a positive way.

They playoffs are when the pressure is greatest, everybody is playing hard, and every game is tight checking. Neither team has fatigue disadvantages from travel or crammed schedules. It's two separate seasons, and the Flyers did not have a Cup worthy goalie on their team this season and they all knew it towards the end of the season, and it was proven to be a fact.

I'm not pinning it all on the goalies, but they were a huge reason for the bruins sweep.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 08:04 AM
joshjull

I'm not overly surprised by this. I felt we gave them much more of a battle than they expected.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote