HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

June 4 - Manny Malhotra is IN for game 2! MIRACLES!

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Anodyne

vCash: 500
BotchonCanucks Jason Botchford
Malhotra has left the ice. canucks say he was not practising readying for a return, he is instead "having fun."

Old
05-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
It makes it sound like he's close to playing. We know he's not.

It's an eye injury, that seems to be getting better. You can still skate with only vision in one eye. Plus Samuelsson and Higgins are not at practice, so Malhotra slotting in for one of those isn't that surprising.
What I find interesting/concerning is that he's doing rushes sans equipment...I mean...what if a puck bounces at him or he slips and crashes into the boards? Protect yourself, man!

Old
05-12-2011, 01:26 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
Manny's problem is his vision. He can do all the skating he wants but until his vision improves, he can't pass the test to play.
You are partly right. However, it was reported that he couldn't do any exercise because the elevated blood pressure could cause him to go blind in that eye. That to me was the more scary part. Looks like he is well on his way to recovery.

Old
05-12-2011, 01:28 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Some of the media are being very misleading on twitter.

Like making a big deal of Malhotra skating with the 4th line even though Higgins/Samuelsson aren't at practice.
I haven't read what they're saying, but the fact that he's skating with a line in practice is pretty huge if you're looking at the big picture.

Old
05-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
You are partly right. However, it was reported that he couldn't do any exercise because the elevated blood pressure could cause him to go blind in that eye. That to me was the more scary part. Looks like he is well on his way to recovery.
Can't remember where I read it, but apparently he is trending in the top 5 percentile in terms of recovering from this type of injury. That is excellent news, too.

Old
05-12-2011, 01:39 PM
Bucky Katt

I won't believe he is back until I see him on the ice during a game but this can't be seen as anything but a positive sign. Maybe his chances were 1 in 1000 - if he is recovering in the top 5% then maybe his chances are now 1 in 50. Still very unlikely but not impossible.

Old
05-12-2011, 01:42 PM
Crows*

If manny believes there is a 1 percent chance of coming back this year, I believe he Would test the waters.

Old
05-12-2011, 01:44 PM
Durr
give me gum gum

Send a message via MSN to Durr
Good for Manny, but can we please stop with the speculation? He's not coming back, and if he did, I'd seriously question whether that's the right decision or not. You don't rush these things, playoffs or not.

Old
05-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Proto

How do people "know" he's not coming back -- because the Canucks aren't saying that he is? You wouldn't get a straight answer out of them one way or another.

I would say it's highly unlikely he would come back, but who knows for sure. It's a promising sign either way and very different than the Willie Mitchell approach we saw last year (see no Mitchell, hear no Mitchell).

Old
05-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durr View Post
Good for Manny, but can we please stop with the speculation? He's not coming back, and if he did, I'd seriously question whether that's the right decision or not. You don't rush these things, playoffs or not.
I'd be with you, but per MG...

Quote:
TEAM1040 TEAM Radio by FarhanLaljiTSN
Per @gmmikegillis..it's "extremely unlikely" Manny Malhotra will play again this year. He skated before practice again today.
55 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply
"Extremely unlikely" is most certainly not "absolutely will not". It's a far different cry from their announcement that he would not play at all during the regular season or the playoffs in April...

Old
05-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durr View Post
Are you telling us or yourself?

Manny's coming backkkkkkk, whooooooooooo.

I could see him come back in a game 6 or 7 of the finals if they get there. Erik Cole in the Canes run wasnt expected back either.

Old
Ernie

Malhotra clearly wants to come back.

I don't see why people are being so negative; he's not going to make his eye worse by playing. Nice to see him on the ice. No doubt he'll come back when he feels he can contribute.

Old
Jobu

Why on earth would anyone believe anything the Canucks are saying? This is the same team that proclaimed Luongo the starter in Game 6 vs. Chicago until 15 minutes before puckdrop.

Fact - Malhotra staking two days in a row, and indeed practicing with the team, equipment or not, means only one thing. He is aiming for a comeback, and sooner rather than later. There is simply no reason for him to be skating, and especially skating with the team, if there's "no chance".

Old
05-12-2011, 01:51 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelsson uhhh View Post
BotchonCanucks Jason Botchford
Malhotra has left the ice. canucks say he was not practising readying for a return, he is instead "having fun."
Thank god he posted something else.

Now can we stop this stupid misleading nonsensical speculation?

05-12-2011, 01:54 PM
Jobu

Quote:
Thank god he posted something else.

Now can we stop this stupid misleading nonsensical speculation?
Wait, you actually believe he is just "having fun"?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gullible

Old
05-12-2011, 01:54 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
Why on earth would anyone believe anything the Canucks are saying? This is the same team that proclaimed Luongo the starter in Game 6 vs. Chicago until 15 minutes before puckdrop.

Fact - Malhotra staking two days in a row, and indeed practicing with the team, equipment or not, means only one thing. He is aiming for a comeback, and sooner rather than later. There is simply no reason for him to be skating, and especially skating with the team, if there's "no chance".
That was AV that said that, not the Canucks.

Of course he's aiming for a comeback and there is a chance. But that chance isn't suddenly greater all of a sudden because he's skating. His injury has no bearing on his ability to skate.

Old
05-12-2011, 01:55 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:

Evgeni Malkin was on the ice skating with the Penguins during the first round of their series. His knee operation will keep him out of action for 4-6 months and there really was no hope of him coming back yet he still was out there.

05-12-2011, 01:56 PM
Ernie

There's nothing stupid, misleading, or nonsensical about it.

The Canucks official line was that he was finished, done. He'd be lucky if he ever played again. Now he's practicing with the team, just over 6 weeks later.

So yeah, it's smart to take what the team is saying about his return with a grain of salt. They are trying to protect the player, as they've been doing from the beginning. But if he continues practicing with the team they may need to let him speak for himself.

Old
05-12-2011, 01:56 PM
Jobu

Quote:
That was AV that said that, not the Canucks.

Of course he's aiming for a comeback and there is a chance. But that chance isn't suddenly greater all of a sudden because he's skating. His injury has no bearing on his ability to skate.
Sure it does -- exerting oneself could very easily have negative effects on the eye, by building up pressure or otherwise.

You can't make progress without skating.

Old
05-12-2011, 01:57 PM
Apu
Ex-pat in Oiler Land

Regardless of him coming back or not this post-season, I will be cheering for Manny to become the next Dan Bylsma once he hangs up his skates (preferrably not very soon of course).

Old
05-12-2011, 01:58 PM
Jobu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauser View Post
Evgeni Malkin was on the ice skating with the Penguins during the first round of their series. His knee operation will keep him out of action for 4-6 months and there really was no hope of him coming back yet he still was out there.
Actually, Malkin was testing his knee in hopes of a comeback for the playoffs were the Pens to have advanced.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_733748.html

Old
05-12-2011, 01:59 PM
Ernie

Quote:
But that chance isn't suddenly greater all of a sudden because he's skating. His injury has no bearing on his ability to skate.
That's incorrect. He could not exercise while his eye was healing. Now he can.

Whether his vision has reached the point where he could play is the open question. But at least he can now work on his conditioning so his body is ready in case his eye does improve to the point of being able to play.

Old
05-12-2011, 02:01 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
There's nothing stupid, misleading, or nonsensical about it.

The Canucks official line was that he was finished, done. He'd be lucky if he ever played again. Now he's practicing with the team, just over 6 weeks later.

So yeah, it's smart to take what the team is saying about his return with a grain of salt. They are trying to protect the player, as they've been doing from the beginning. But if he continues practicing with the team they may need to let him speak for himself.
Pretty sure that the official line was that he was done for this year. I assume a lengthy playoff run wasn't in that evaluation and that given our success that there's a chance he might slot into the line up again perhaps in the stanley cup finals.

Quote:
Sure it does -- exerting oneself could very easily have negative effects on the eye, by building up pressure or otherwise.

You can't make progress without skating.
Fair enough. My main point is that even if he can skate now, he still needs to pass the NHL's eye-test and if he still needs a couple more procedures (which is what the rumor is right now) he's unlikely to be at a point where he can play right now.

Old
05-12-2011, 02:04 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Pretty sure that the official line was that he was done for this year. I assume a lengthy playoff run wasn't in that evaluation and that given our success that there's a chance he might slot into the line up again perhaps in the stanley cup finals.
there are obvious reasons why the Canucks wouldn't want to say that he could be back if they go deep in the playoffs. but that doesn't mean it wasn't considered a possibility by the parties involved.

public relations 101.

Old
05-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Placebo Effect

Closed Thread