HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks Injury Thread - Mason Raymond's Career in Jeopardy?

Closed Thread

Old
05-24-2011, 07:42 PM
monster_bertuzzi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut View Post
I wasn't comparing AV to Scotty Bowman, I was comparing you to someone who has no clue what they're talking about.
I think we have a mis understanding here.

He said the Canucks win in spite of coaching, not because of. And I agree with that.

AV gets it right 90% of the time, and ****s it up royally 10% of the time.

Old
05-24-2011, 07:50 PM
Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
I think we have a mis understanding here.

He said the Canucks win in spite of coaching, not because of. And I agree with that.

AV gets it right 90% of the time, and ****s it up royally 10% of the time.
Perhaps we do. I think there's a lot of middle ground between because of and in spite of. We're not going to win because of Alex Burrows, but he's an important part of the overall winning formula -- we're not going to win in spite of him. Same could be said of virtually any player that's contributing.

So my issue is that AV is very clearly NOT a liability. He's an important part of the team which, in a team sport, is about all you can ask. It's not like if we "traded" him for McClellan all of a sudden it would have been a Canucks' sweep or the Sharks would be up 3-1 instead -- that is, we're clearly not winning on the back of brilliant coaching. But he's doing his part, as is everyone else. So we're not winning in spite of him, we are winning because of him, insofar as he's pulling his weight, not because he's the world's greatest coach. But that's where the Bowman comment comes in -- he was obviously hugely important to those dynasty Habs teams, but would they have won several cups with the next best coach? Probably.

If you agree with that, then yes, I guess we agree.

Old
05-24-2011, 07:55 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut View Post
Perhaps we do. I think there's a lot of middle ground between because of and in spite of. We're not going to win because of Alex Burrows, but he's an important part of the overall winning formula -- we're not going to win in spite of him. Same could be said of virtually any player that's contributing.

So my issue is that AV is very clearly NOT a liability. He's an important part of the team which, in a team sport, is about all you can ask. It's not like if we "traded" him for McClellan all of a sudden it would have been a Canucks' sweep or the Sharks would be up 3-1 instead -- that is, we're clearly not winning on the back of brilliant coaching. But he's doing his part, as is everyone else. So we're not winning in spite of him, we are winning because of him, insofar as he's pulling his weight, not because he's the world's greatest coach. But that's where the Bowman comment comes in -- he was obviously hugely important to those dynasty Habs teams, but would they have won several cups with the next best coach? Probably.

If you agree with that, then yes, I guess we agree.
Mmmm, yeah I'm down with that. He is neither the reason we're winning nor would he be the sole reason we lost. He is a piece of the puzzle.

Old
05-25-2011, 02:56 AM
June 2007

Any more updates on Malholtra? Has he participated in contact drills yet? I hope this extra rest makes it so he can play in the SCF

Old
05-25-2011, 04:34 AM
Stefan It Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by June 2007 View Post
Any more updates on Malholtra? Has he participated in contact drills yet? I hope this extra rest makes it so he can play in the SCF
Apparently he took "light contact" with the black aces group.

Really hoping for good news for Kesler, Ehrhoff, Rome.

Old
05-25-2011, 04:36 AM
timw33

Would love to see Ehrhoff the most for the SCF.

Old
05-25-2011, 04:50 AM
Stefan It Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Would love to see Ehrhoff the most for the SCF.
Second to Kesler, right? I'm not taking it for granted that he's alright. Hopefully it's the kind of groin injury Tom Larscheid can fix.

Old
05-25-2011, 06:03 AM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by June 2007 View Post
2:53 mark. You can see that his eye is still not healed.

Old
05-25-2011, 12:28 PM
David71

kesler's injury looked like "groin" or leg?

Old
05-25-2011, 12:39 PM
xtr3m

@blakeprice1040
"the way Kesler was stretching out on the top of the boards, my vast medical experience leads me to think it was a hamstring cramp or pull.."

Old
05-25-2011, 01:07 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

There was some speculation Kesler cramped up similarly to how Schneider did against Chicago. Seems to make sense since he only missed 4 minutes and seemed to get better as he played a few shifts and stretched it out a bit.

Old
05-25-2011, 01:14 PM
KDizzle

Yea when I saw him stretching his left leg, I suspected it was a cramp. Not to take anything away from Kes because that area is tender and prone to re-cramping. But with enough ice time and proper hydration, it was evident that he was better towards the end of the game. His skating was back close to normal.

Old
05-25-2011, 01:16 PM
Tiranis

I tend to agree with the cramp thing, probably a pretty bad cramp but it seemed to get better and better throughout the game which would indicate it wasn't a major injury.

Old
05-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Ya, it looked pretty bad, but Schneider also went down like he was shot, and needed to be helped off the ice...he was apparently ready to play again the next day.

Old
05-25-2011, 01:57 PM
Type Not Specified
Part of the process

Yeah I'm sure it was just a cramp. Just looking at how it happened and the way he reacted, and then how he was able to come back and skate pretty well later in the game, it had to have been a cramp. Rotten time for it to happen but much better than a pull or tear that could linger for a while.

Old
05-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Placebo Effect

Not that I'm a pro but I've had cramps in the middle of games and they can be BAD. Went for a walk, stretched out on the bench and was back in a little bit. Evidence points to cramp, let's hope that's all it was.

Old
05-25-2011, 03:26 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by spixel View Post
Not that I'm a pro but I've had cramps in the middle of games and they can be BAD. Went for a walk, stretched out on the bench and was back in a little bit. Evidence points to cramp, let's hope that's all it was.
When I saw it I thought it was a pulled Hammy, I was worried he was gone. But I gotta agree it's probably cramping (though in all the years I've played sports I've never had a cramp to that level so I'll take your werd on it)

Old
05-25-2011, 04:35 PM
Bucky Katt

I've had cramps in my calf doing steep incline walks on the treadmill and they can happen just like that and completely hobble you. In three steps I went from walking normally to almost crashing off the back of the treadmill. Also, it can be a sign of overcompensation for a minor injury - it seems strange it would just happen in the middle of the second period. I don't ever remember that happening to Kesler before while Schneider has had a history of it.

Old
05-25-2011, 04:58 PM
nuksforlife

Send a message via MSN to nuksforlife
Just saw Kesler on Robson Street limping.....

Old
05-25-2011, 05:08 PM
Placebo Effect

That's not a good sign but a bad cramp can make you sore/stiff the day after. I've had that.

Old
05-25-2011, 05:17 PM
xtr3m

@sportsnetmurph
Got a text from Ryan Kesler and while he didn't address his injury, he did say "I'm gonna be fine" - so take that for what its worth.

Old
05-25-2011, 05:25 PM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by spixel View Post
Me too, you seize up and you feel the effects long after the main pain has subsided.

You're definitely ginger just because you don't want to cramp up again. Hell, even elite tennis players have to forfeit due to cramping, although you're obviously not able to take "shifts" in tennis.

Old
05-25-2011, 05:59 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuksforlife View Post
Just saw Kesler on Robson Street limping.....
Did you give him a high five!? Was he being mobbed?

Old
05-25-2011, 06:03 PM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

I'll be realistic here... It's definitely not just a cramp, that's what we've all been hoping for. I was hoping for.

I am certain that's not the case now and obviously upset

Old
05-25-2011, 06:09 PM
Ernie

I don't really buy that Kesler was just strolling down Robson Street, especially if he was limping.

Closed Thread