HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Re-evaluate Henrik based on this interesting Post Season

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2011, 04:32 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

vCash: 500
Re-evaluate Henrik based on this interesting Post Season

It's been an amazingly unusual finals. I feel like even if Vancouver wins, it's scarcely conclusive that they are the better team. Add to that the very strange behaviors on All Star quality goalies this entire postseason. My conclusion is such: even though Henrik can be subject to a mid winter slump, we are damn lucky to have such a focused and talented netminder.

I feel prouder of him each game of watch, especially with Thomas' excellent performances at such an age. Sign him for life, hes true blue.

Old
06-11-2011, 04:34 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I still believe Hank is the best in the league.

Old
06-11-2011, 04:35 PM
NYRSchrute217

Nothing needs to be re-evaluated. He's better than Thomas, Luongo, Miller, etc. No one in the league is better

Old
06-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
Nothing needs to be re-evaluated. He's better than Thomas, Luongo, Miller, etc. No one in the league is better
Yes - this is true for the Henrik fans (as I have always been). Just pointing it out to the more skeptical.

Old
06-11-2011, 04:37 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

In any given year Hank is a top 3 goalie in the world.

We are damn well lucky to have him and we need to get this man a Stanley Cup.

He is a warrior for us and through all the tough times here he never once ****** and not only is he a great player but a great locker room guy and leader.

06-11-2011, 05:31 PM
ck20

We're just as spoiled with Hank as we were when we got Moose as out captain. Sometimes it's extremely easy to forget that 1) he literally almost single-handedly puts us in the POs year after year, and 2) He's still relatively young for a goalie at 29. We'll hopefully have him for the rest of his career, which hopefully will last another decade where we'll get to see him improve even further.

Old
06-11-2011, 05:35 PM
DutchShamrock

If anything, this is the first time in a while that a top level goalie will hoist the cup in a long time. For the last 6 years mid level/flash in the pan goalies have been the standard. It was a little worrisome for the Rangers to see teams win by investing their cap in scoring and an elite defensive pairing. This final looks like the pre-lockout matchups of Roy, Brodeur and Hasek types. It used to be a rule that you couldn't contend for a cup without a top 5 goalie. It's a copy cat league so I guess it's good to know that we may be ahead of the curve.

Old
06-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Tawnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
If anything, this is the first time in a while that a top level goalie will hoist the cup in a long time. For the last 6 years mid level/flash in the pan goalies have been the standard. It was a little worrisome for the Rangers to see teams win by investing their cap in scoring and an elite defensive pairing. This final looks like the pre-lockout matchups of Roy, Brodeur and Hasek types. It used to be a rule that you couldn't contend for a cup without a top 5 goalie. It's a copy cat league so I guess it's good to know that we may be ahead of the curve.
Giguere, Fleury and Ward were not mid-level goalies. Maybe not consistently elite like the older guys you mentioned, but they are top goalies in a given year and were in the years they won the Cup. Osgood often played like an elite goalie in the playoffs and did in 08. Lundqvist is one of the best goalies in the world because he's consistent, not because he's a fundamentally better goalie than most of the guys who have won the Cup since the lockout.

I get your point, that none of these guys are really top-5 goalies. But people constantly claim that they're mid-level and they aren't. Last year was an aberration, not a continuation of a trend.

Old
06-11-2011, 06:55 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
With an iron fist

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
It's a darn shame that some of you ranger fans are so blinded by your loyality. I've said it befor and I'll say it again because it bears repeating:
Henrik Lundquist is a goalies who puts up great numbers in the regular season. On the basis of that, you may call him a top 5 to 7 goalie in the league.However, he has yet to perform as an "elite" goalie for us in the six years he has been in the league failing to carry the team on his b ack for one lousy playoff game let alone an entire series. His game hasn't improved one bit since his rookie season and while he oftentimes makes brilliant saves, he continues to get beat by far too many bad angle goals and soft goals to the high side because he continues to play too deep in his net and crouched down way too low without ever venturing out of his crease to challenge shooters. What you're seeing from tim thomas in these playoff series in no way, shape or form correlates to anythings hank has
done in the past in the playoffs for us. Tim thomas is a one time vezina winner with a real chance to win it a 2nd time this year and he will also be named the con smythe trophy winner as the mvp of the stanley cup playoffs regardless of who wins the cup. To compare hank to him is ridiculous and to classify the other goalies who have led their teams to cups since the lockout as mid level/flash in the pan shows a complete lack of reality on your part. I hardly think marc andre fleury, cam ward, anti niemi to name a few would be classified as mid level by nobody on these hf boards.
Time to wake and smell the coffee, pal.

Old
06-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Blue Line Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
It's been an amazingly unusual finals. I feel like even if Vancouver wins, it's scarcely conclusive that they are the better team. Add to that the very strange behaviors on All Star quality goalies this entire postseason. My conclusion is such: even though Henrik can be subject to a mid winter slump, we are damn lucky to have such a focused and talented netminder.

I feel prouder of him each game of watch, especially with Thomas' excellent performances at such an age. Sign him for life, hes true blue.
Agreed. To me, only Hank and Girardi really stepped up in the playoffs. Staal played well most of the time but had some terrible defensive gaffes that led straight to goals. Sauer and McDonagh were also pretty solid. Almost everyone else completely disappeared.

People that understand the game know that no goalie is going to steal a series on his own, which is what Hank would have had to do, especially the last couple post seasons.

We're lucky to have him.

Last edited by Blue Line Monster: 06-11-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old
06-11-2011, 07:30 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
With an iron fist

Hank is already the highest paid goalie in the league(why he is, I have no idea!)
when he rec'd the contract he is currently playing on,
He entered that year making 1 mil, was immediately bumped up to 4 mil right before the season began(believe it was 08?), and then to throw out more money unneccessarily, he was given his contract(jan,09?) for 6.875 mil thereby making him the highest paid goalie in the game(which he still is)
Why he is, I have no idea-exactly what has he done to earn the highest contract? Has he won a vezina, has he won more than one playoff series in a season since 06? Has he ever carried the team in a playoff series? What is he known for in the playoffs other than getting beat by chris drury in the final 7 seconds of a crucial playoff game that would have put us up 3-2 in that series in 07, getting beat by a washed up serge fedorov from a ridiculous angle in the last 3 mins of game #7 to give the caps the series in 09, giving up a stuff shot by ovechkin in game#1 this year to tie the game in the last 5 mins of a game we eventually lost in o/t.
Yea, I can see your point about hank being the best goalie in hockey, just let me know when he steps up to the plate when it really matters!!

Old
06-11-2011, 07:42 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
Hank is already the highest paid goalie in the league(why he is, I have no idea!)
He entered that year making 1 mil, was immediately bumped up to 4 mil right before the season began(believe it was 08?), and then to throw out more money unneccessarily, he was given his contract(jan,09?) for 6.875 mil thereby making him the highest paid goalie in the game(which he still is)
Why he is, I have no idea-exactly what has he done to earn the highest contract? Has he won a vezina, has he won more than one playoff series in a season since 06? Has he ever carried the team in a playoff series? What is he known for in the playoffs other than getting beat by chris drury in the final 7 seconds of a crucial playoff game that would have put us up 3-2 in that series in 07, getting beat by a washed up serge fedorov from a ridiculous angle in the last 3 mins of game #7 to give the caps the series in 09, giving up a stuff shot by ovechkin in game#1 this year to tie the game in the last 5 mins of a game we eventually lost in o/t.
Yea, I can see your point about hank being the best goalie in hockey, just let me know when he steps up to the plate when it really matters!!
-Henrik's not capable of scoring goals, which has been our achilles heel post-lockout (even w/ Jagr).
-The team itself didn't deserve to progress passed the second round, mostly due to our lack of high-end talent/Secondary scoring.
-Every game of the season really matters. And he's done more than step up to the plate.

Go troll elsewhere.

Old
06-11-2011, 07:58 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
With an iron fist

When exactly has he "stepped up the plate" pal? It hasn't been in rthe playoffs unless it was "the playoff series in your dreams" we all know about the rangers lack of scoring(although the truth is they scored more goals this past season then half the teams). You play the hand your dealt which means if u can't score more than 1, you hold the opposition to 0, and so on. If you want to be classified as an "elite" goalie, then play like one when it matters much like cam ward did when he lead a so so team to a cup in 06 and tim thomas is doing for a team with an average offense this year.
When it really counts, you show up and play out of your mind the way so many goalies have done in the stanley cup playoffs in the past.
That's all and that's it!!

Old
06-11-2011, 08:01 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
I think he's a top-5 goalie in the league any given season -- only other player I consider a lock for the top-5 year in and year out is Luongo. Price will be there soon.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
Old
06-11-2011, 08:13 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I don't think there is anything to "re-evaluate." No matter what would've happened after the rangers were eliminated I would've and still do feel Henrik is one of the best in the world. Every goalie has his rough patches and soft goals, but he has had a lot more success to nullify that.

I've never been particularly impressed with Luongo. I think he's definitely a very good goalie, but I just haven't been wowed by him I guess. He has a pretty good blueline in front of him.

Though Thomas has been shaky at times, I have been impressed with his play. He has made a lot of huge saves, highlight reel ones.

Old
06-11-2011, 08:17 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
With an iron fist

Luongo is just like hank in that he never comes up big when it matters. He was a gold medal winner for canada in feb, 10 despite a very pedestrian performance and vancouver will probably win their first deapite roberto luongo not because of him! The best goalies in hockey factoring in playoff perf is as follows:
1)Tim Thomas
2)Cam Ward
3)Ryan Miller

Then you can choose from among Luongo, Hank, Rinne, Price,
Thereafter, Howard,
Niemi, Quick, Riemer,Bryzgalov.

Old
06-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
With an iron fist

Opps, left out Marc Andre Fleury from the group hank is in!

Old
06-11-2011, 08:20 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

Miller is not better than Lundqvist or Luongo. He's only had 1 season where his GAA was below 2.50, and 1 season where is sv% was above .918.

As for "not stepping up" he fell apart in game 7 this year of the ECQF -- and, yes, his team was average, but so was every team Lundqvist has ever played on.

Old
06-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
With an iron fist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
I think he's a top-5 goalie in the league any given season -- only other player I consider a lock for the top-5 year in and year out is Luongo. Price will be there soon.
That's a reasonable assessment of hank. He's a top five regular season goalie based on his #'s since 05/06. We are still waiting for him to play out of his mind and carry his team deeper into the playoffs much like john davidson did in '79.

Old
06-11-2011, 08:31 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
With an iron fist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Miller is not better than Lundqvist or Luongo. He's only had 1 season where his GAA was below 2.50, and 1 season where is sv% was above .918.

As for "not stepping up" he fell apart in game 7 this year of the ECQF -- and, yes, his team was average, but so was every team Lundqvist has ever played on.
True, he did fall aprt in game #7 this year but the general consensus in the league is that ryan miller is definitely a better goalie than hank, look at his winning %, he faces way more shots, is a vezina winner, has taken his team to a conf final in 07, played out of his mind in the olympics last year and was the mvp despite the USA losing to canada; don't kid yourself, he's a much better goalie than hank is!

Old
06-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Hodgy OFWG
New Season New Dream

Send a message via Skype™ to Hodgy OFWG
Quote:
obviously you cannot call yourself a real RANGER FAN, because he has had to deal with many shifts with the defense ahead of him and this to be the greatest set of defenseman he has and they are STILL improving. And he has been improving, he kept us in all 5 games. The only reason why the Caps came back in Game 4 is because of stupid bounces and laziness. AND Hank has improved his glovework over the past years because he has always had an amazing ground game. SO WATCH HIM PLAY AND PLAY HIS F#@KING HEART OUT EACH AND EVERY GAME. HE HAS STEPPED UP AND IS CONTINUING TO BE EVEN BETTER.

Old
06-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion
CarciLOL

Quote:
When exactly has he "stepped up the plate" pal? It hasn't been in rthe playoffs unless it was "the playoff series in your dreams" we all know about the rangers lack of scoring(although the truth is they scored more goals this past season then half the teams). You play the hand your dealt which means if u can't score more than 1, you hold the opposition to 0, and so on. If you want to be classified as an "elite" goalie, then play like one when it matters much like cam ward did when he lead a so so team to a cup in 06 and tim thomas is doing for a team with an average offense this year.
When it really counts, you show up and play out of your mind the way so many goalies have done in the stanley cup playoffs in the past.
That's all and that's it!!
So regardless of how good, or bad your team plays, an elite goaltender is supposed to keep a scoreless game, scoreless? Where the hell is that foolish rule written?

Which teams should have Henrik single-handedly defeated in his playoff career?

At this point, I'm beginning to think you've never actually watched Lundqvist in the post-season. He's been stellar, despite what his statistics suggest. That's why I'm not even certain you know who Henrik Lundqvist even is.

He's been one of the most consistent netminders in the league since his arrival. His gold medal is proof he can step up to the plate. As are his career numbers. And the number of vezina nominations in his career. Or the number of 30+ wins, which actually set a record.

Quote:
DaveLozo: Ovechkin on Lundqvist: He was their best player in all five games. #WasNYR #NHLPlayoffs
He was. Plain and simple. The Rangers wouldn’t have been a playoff team without Hank in net. There is a reason he is the reigning five-time team MVP.

http://www.snyrangersblog.com/2011/0...rik-lundqvist/

Screw AO's opinion. Let's hear what Hasek had to say about Lundqvist.

Quote:
Q: Whom do you consider the strongest goalkeeper in the world?

DH: While I have not seen the Russian goalkeepers, I think Henrik Lundqvist. But if you ask me the question again during the season, I can answer it in detail.

That's high praise coming from Hasek, one of the greatest goalies of all-time. But I'm sure what also makes this praise extra special for Henrik is the fact that he has repeatedly stated that Dominik Hasek was one of his idols growing up. First Henrik received accolades from Wayne Gretzky and now Hasek. Not bad.
http://hlundqvist.blogspot.com/2010/...dqvist-is.html

Hasek's opinion not enough?

How about Gretzky's?

Quote:
one of the best goaltenders in the world
http://hlundqvist.blogspot.com/2010/...qvist-hes.html

I don't even know why I'm bothering with you . . . .

Old
06-11-2011, 08:34 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

I think Miller is highly overrated, just in general. He had his one anomaly of a year last year, and aside from that, he has been above average at best.

Old
06-11-2011, 08:39 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I think Miller is one of the better goalies in the league, and he's very consistent.

But to argue Hank isn't just as good as that (if you consider Miller like that) is ridiculous.

Old
06-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Opps, left out Marc Andre Fleury from the group hank is in!
LMAO at Fleury being better then Henrik. You're not a Rangers fan (probably some swamp rat or fish stick troll) so get the F out

Henrik is a top 3, top 5 at most goalie. Without him we'd be a bottom dweller for the last 5 or so years

Closed Thread