HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 NHL Entry Draft/Other Prospects (All NON-RANGERS Prospect Discussion - Part 3) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
06-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Chalfdiggity3

vCash: 500
Why doesnt anyone talk about this kid Puempel? I know he had hip surgery this season but he is an unbelievable natural goal scoring machine, and even when he got back from injury he still had something like 39pts in 36games

Old
06-02-2011, 02:31 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
In 20 years of drafting, Sather nor Clark has traded down in the first round. Its just not the lion's way
Doesn't mean it's impossible. Improbable, sure, but impossible? Nay.

Old
06-02-2011, 02:33 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalfdiggity3 View Post
Why doesnt anyone talk about this kid Puempel? I know he had hip surgery this season but he is an unbelievable natural goal scoring machine, and even when he got back from injury he still had something like 39pts in 36games
Well, you touched on part of it with the injury, but the real issue is he's almost completely one dimensional. Think Michael Ryder. Tremendous release, accuracy and velocity on his shot, but pretty much a vegetable away from the puck and generates very little offense on his own. Plus he really didn't improve after a very good rookie season.

Old
06-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Well, you touched on part of it with the injury, but the real issue is he's almost completely one dimensional. Think Michael Ryder. Tremendous release, accuracy and velocity on his shot, but pretty much a vegetable away from the puck and generates very little offense on his own. Plus he really didn't improve after a very good rookie season.
Really? I mean just because he is one-dimensional doesnt mean he cant be an constant offensive threat which is what i thought we are all looking for.. that top line player and not another 2nd-3rd line tweener. What i dont get is how can he generate very littler offense on his own and yet still end up with 34 goals and 69pts in 55games even AFTER hip surgery. Honestly he sounds like a Brent Connolly prospect..

Not trying to start an arguement or anything just looking over who may be available at our pick in the draft and he seemed like a High Risk/High Reward player and am looking for feedback.

Old
06-02-2011, 03:01 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Really? I mean just because he is one-dimensional doesnt mean he cant be an constant offensive threat which is what i thought we are all looking for.. that top line player and not another 2nd-3rd line tweener. What i dont get is how can he generate very littler offense on his own and yet still end up with 34 goals and 69pts in 55games even AFTER hip surgery. Honestly he sounds like a Brent Connolly prospect..

Not trying to start an arguement or anything just looking over who may be available at our pick in the draft and he seemed like a High Risk/High Reward player and am looking for feedback.
Honestly, the part that concerns me more that Trxjw brought up was the part of not improving on his rookie year. Yes, he got hurt and that had to of played a role, but it still brings up some question marks on how he will progress. You want to see a kid improve in his draft year, not stay at a standstill.

Potential is great, but if a player doesn't show signs of getting better, it's meaningless.

Old
06-02-2011, 03:07 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:

Nowhere near Brett Connolly. Connolly has elite one-on-one ability and plays very well in traffic. If you want a more familiar comparison than Ryder, think of a far less skilled Marian Gaborik. A guy who has a laser of a shot, but if he doesn't have guys on the ice working to give him time and space, he just ends up shooting it into shin pads or losing the puck to a poke check.

I'm not saying Puempel is a bad prospect, I'm just saying that we could do better at 15 and get a guy who brings more than just a good shot to the table.

Old
06-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
Honestly, the part that concerns me more that Trxjw brought up was the part of not improving on his rookie year. Yes, he got hurt and that had to of played a role, but it still brings up some question marks on how he will progress. You want to see a kid improve in his draft year, not stay at a standstill.

Potential is great, but if a player doesn't show signs of getting better, it's meaningless.
Of course, i completly agree with you but what im trying to understand is that even tho it seems like he didnt improve, he was still coming back from a major hip surgery and even being limited to 55 games he outscored EVERYONE on his team and ended up with 34goals and 69pts. Idk what he did in his previous year but you have to take into consideration the time it takes to get back from an injury like that, his ability to miss 30 games and still be a top scorer.. Come on missing 30 games and being seriously injured not even crosby would progress from a season like that. of course those two elements wouldnt have let him progress in his talent but to say he isnt the same extremly offensively skilled and gifted kid who wont progress a TON next year while being completly healthy is a bit ridiculous.

Old
06-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
Nowhere near Brett Connolly. Connolly has elite one-on-one ability and plays very well in traffic. If you want a more familiar comparison than Ryder, think of a far less skilled Marian Gaborik. A guy who has a laser of a shot, but if he doesn't have guys on the ice working to give him time and space, he just ends up shooting it into shin pads or losing the puck to a poke check.

I'm not saying Puempel is a bad prospect, I'm just saying that we could do better at 15 and get a guy who brings more than just a good shot to the table.
gotcha, thanks for clarifying. Sorry i just didnt understand the NON-hype about a prospect with great numbers especially after coming back from an injury. When you put it this way, he shouldnt be worth a pick until the late 1st, early 2nd. because if a team had players that could give him the time and space.. oh boy! haha

Old
06-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

A recent comparison to me is Emerson Etem.

Old
06-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
true but on the ducks prospect board, Etem is their best offensive prospect with 1st line upside..

Old
06-02-2011, 03:38 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
true but on the ducks prospect board, Etem is their best offensive prospect with 1st line upside..
Puempel could have the same rating on a team a year from now, he has that kind of potential too.

Old
06-02-2011, 03:45 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
Puempel could have the same rating on a team a year from now, he has that kind of potential too.
Thats why i dont get why people are so down on him when he had the same type of season he had last year, WITH overcoming a major hip surgery and scoring over a ppg after returning. I dont know much about him but he seems like he has the offensive ability to become a 1st line player and thats what we need.. Id rather take a chance on a BOOM or BUST player in this draft than go with another 2nd-3rd line tweener. We have enough of those already. time to get 1st line talent. I understand its hard to do at 15 but there seems to be alot of players that are seen on the same level after the 8-10picks.. so idk just a thought to have in the back of our minds.

Old
06-02-2011, 03:46 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

To me a player needs to be able to play away from the puck.

Old
06-02-2011, 04:18 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
We are currently with these picks left:

1st - #15
4th - # 106
5th - # 134
5th - # 136

If our guy is not around at #15 and we do not find a good trade partner if we attempt to trade up - would this make any sense?

Trade down with our number 15 to Toronto for their #25 (1st) + #39 (2nd) + #152 (6th).
Snatch Alexander Khokhlachev at #25, The BPA of Victor Rask/Matthew Nieto/Nikita Kucherov/Adam Clendening/Nikita Kucherov/Tomas Jurco at #39 and go for some home runs and goalies with the later picks.

Other options to get more pics - if that is desireable - might be trading Wolski (for a 2nd/3rd to Ottawa or Florida maybe?), MZA (2nd or 3rd to Detroit?) or Christensen (later round pick).

With the addition of Erixon this might make for a very good draft? Time will tell...

Old
06-02-2011, 04:23 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

hes definitely a first round talent. i have been talking about this kid since this years draft thread went up.

please remember, he played on a god awful petes team. put him on windsor or kitchener when healthy and he scores 50. easy. hes that good with the puck.

even though he was injured, he still put up impressive number on a very weak team.

55 34/35/69 is pretty darn good.

hes not a true 2 way forward, his defensive game isnt his calling card. he doesnt have ideal size to be a rugged winger. hes more of a finesse type guy. hes an offensive player and a dangerous one at that. nhl goal scorer- thats what this kid is. plain and simple hes a shooter and a top corner sniper. he plays well with linemates making soft, tape to tape passes and know where to go to score goals. hes a very good passer and his shot is as good as any in this draft class. high end release and very accurate wrist shot.

imo, hes got top line goal scoring winger talent.

patrick sharp comes to mind.

Old
06-02-2011, 04:24 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
I agree. Not sure he has the wheels Etem does though.

Old
06-02-2011, 04:31 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
To me a player needs to be able to play away from the puck.
In his first year as a rookie you might just be expecting too much. For most players it takes time.

Quote:
I agree. Not sure he has the wheels Etem does though.
Absolutely, just mean that they both play that same scorer role. Pat Sharp upside is definitely possible, good call ODC.

Old
06-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
hes definitely a first round talent. i have been talking about this kid since this years draft thread went up.

please remember, he played on a god awful petes team. put him on windsor or kitchener when healthy and he scores 50. easy. hes that good with the puck.

even though he was injured, he still put up impressive number on a very weak team.

55 34/35/69 is pretty darn good.

hes not a true 2 way forward, his defensive game isnt his calling card. he doesnt have ideal size to be a rugged winger. hes more of a finesse type guy. hes an offensive player and a dangerous one at that. nhl goal scorer- thats what this kid is. plain and simple hes a shooter and a top corner sniper. he plays well with linemates making soft, tape to tape passes and know where to go to score goals. hes a very good passer and his shot is as good as any in this draft class. high end release and very accurate wrist shot.

imo, hes got top line goal scoring winger talent.

patrick sharp comes to mind.
So then why wouldnt we look at him as a possible pick at #15

Old
06-02-2011, 07:35 PM
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

What do you guys think of Grimaldi? I remember reading that if he were bigger, he'd be a top-five pick. So I guess he has the talent, but size is an issue? Talented small guy that goes late in the first round like Tyler Ennis?

Old
06-02-2011, 08:43 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
We are currently with these picks left:

1st - #15
4th - # 106
5th - # 134
5th - # 136

If our guy is not around at #15 and we do not find a good trade partner if we attempt to trade up - would this make any sense?

Trade down with our number 15 to Toronto for their #25 (1st) + #39 (2nd) + #152 (6th).
Snatch Alexander Khokhlachev at #25, The BPA of Victor Rask/Matthew Nieto/Nikita Kucherov/Adam Clendening/Nikita Kucherov/Tomas Jurco at #39 and go for some home runs and goalies with the later picks.

Other options to get more pics - if that is desireable - might be trading Wolski (for a 2nd/3rd to Ottawa or Florida maybe?), MZA (2nd or 3rd to Detroit?) or Christensen (later round pick).

With the addition of Erixon this might make for a very good draft? Time will tell...
Depending on who's there at 15, I'm definitely inclined to consider trading down now that we lack a 2nd rounder. The problem is, that I think a lot of teams are going to be looking to move down this draft.

Old
06-02-2011, 09:01 PM
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

What happened to Rask? I thought he was highly ranked last year.

Old
06-02-2011, 09:30 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Brolov View Post
What happened to Rask? I thought he was highly ranked last year.
Supposed bad attitude and had a bad season I believe. If they could pick up a 2nd rounder I would be happy with him in the 2nd round. I think he has the skills and the size to be a very good player. Plus he will feel right at home in a few years with Erixon, Hank, Lindberg, Fasth and Hagelin.

Old
06-02-2011, 09:58 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Brolov View Post
What do you guys think of Grimaldi? I remember reading that if he were bigger, he'd be a top-five pick. So I guess he has the talent, but size is an issue? Talented small guy that goes late in the first round like Tyler Ennis?
High skill level, smaller then minuscule.

He makes Zuccarello look big.

IMO not worth the gamble with #15.

We need a guy who has high-end ability that has the size and strength that makes them a surefire NHL player.

Old
06-02-2011, 10:13 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:

We need a guy who has high-end ability that has the size and strength that makes them a surefire NHL player.
So.....Ziba, McNeil or Schiefele?

Old
06-02-2011, 10:16 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:

Perhaps not...although what's to say he doesn't become a great player? Anyway, if the guys we are targeting are gone at 15 I wouldn't mind trading down 5 or 10 spots, grabbing Grimaldi and taking another shot at a homerun with the 2nd we would pick up.

Closed Thread