HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 NHL Entry Draft/Other Prospects (All NON-RANGERS Prospect Discussion - Part 3) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
06-06-2011, 11:01 AM
Levitate

vCash: 500
This is going to be a pretty boring draft for the Rangers isn't it...can't imagine they're going to jump up into the top 10, can't imagine the guy they draft at 15 is going to be a super exciting prospect.

Old
06-06-2011, 11:03 AM
eco's bones

Really don't see Zibanejad going top 3. Nugent-Hopkins is earmarked for Edmonton. After that Larsson, Landeskog and Huberdeau--possibly Couturier with the next 3. A caveat however New Jersey choosing 4th having success with Tedenby and Josefsson might go with another Swede and Lamiorello is an outside the box thinker. It's somewhat likely that he'll have a chance at either Larsson or Landeskog (also Swedish) though.

Zibanejad is not going to be around at 15. Not even close. Rangers fans should forget about that one. He was about 12 about a month ago and he's rising.

If we're lucky one of Schiefele, Armia or McNeill will still be available.

Old
06-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Levitate

Again, do people really think that McNeil has top six upside? He really scares me as a pick because all I read is that his upside is limited but oh he's a big guy in great shape that surely makes him a great powerforward prospect (on the third line)

Old
06-06-2011, 11:35 AM
broadwayblue

Still pissed that the Devils won the freaking lottery and get to pick 4th in a year they shouldn't even have a 1st round draft pick. Only in the NHL does the team get to decide when to take its punishment. lol

Old
06-06-2011, 11:39 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Again, do people really think that McNeil has top six upside? He really scares me as a pick because all I read is that his upside is limited but oh he's a big guy in great shape that surely makes him a great powerforward prospect (on the third line)
McNeill reminds me of Mike Richards in his draft year. Wouldn't mind him at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Still pissed that the Devils won the freaking lottery and get to pick 4th in a year they shouldn't even have a 1st round draft pick. Only in the NHL does the team get to decide when to take its punishment. lol
Karma's a real thing. Whoever they pick is going to bust

Old
06-06-2011, 11:44 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
McNeill reminds me of Mike Richards in his draft year. Wouldn't mind him at all.
Really? I've seen him play a couple of times, but I don't really see the comparison. What makes you say that?

RANGERS =
Old
06-06-2011, 11:46 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
I think he definitely has the upside to be a top-6 forward. Think along the lines of David Backes, not Ryan Getzlaf as some claim. I think he will likely end up a winger (especially if we take him), and his hands/mean streak are not at Getzlaf's level.

That said in this draft I would be extremely happy to add a Backes-like 30-30 player at 15.

06-06-2011, 11:47 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
He started to amp it up at the end of the year - 26 points in his last 14 games, and 5 points in 6 playoff games. The kid is talented, I think he definitely has the ability to play both sides of the puck.

Old
06-06-2011, 11:49 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
everyone said the same thing about getzlaf and kesler...i remember reading about getzlaf and thinking he sounded too much like a malhotra LOL

Old
06-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

At this point I really want one of Armia/McNeil and maybe Puempel.

Old
06-06-2011, 12:09 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Really? I've seen him play a couple of times, but I don't really see the comparison. What makes you say that?
Both guys are centers with good hands that put up great numbers on a bad team in their draft years that play a good two way game. Not afraid to be physical or drop the gloves either.

Though I wouldn't disagree with the above assumption that McNeill could project as a winger in the NHL. I may be wrong, but isn't McNeill good in the faceoff circle?

Old
06-06-2011, 12:56 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Really don't see Zibanejad going top 3. Nugent-Hopkins is earmarked for Edmonton. After that Larsson, Landeskog and Huberdeau--possibly Couturier with the next 3. A caveat however New Jersey choosing 4th having success with Tedenby and Josefsson might go with another Swede and Lamiorello is an outside the box thinker. It's somewhat likely that he'll have a chance at either Larsson or Landeskog (also Swedish) though.

Zibanejad is not going to be around at 15. Not even close. Rangers fans should forget about that one. He was about 12 about a month ago and he's rising.

If we're lucky one of Schiefele, Armia or McNeill will still be available.
I'd add Baertschi to that list, too. Would be happy to walk away with one of those 4.

Old
06-06-2011, 12:58 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
I'd add Baertschi to that list, too. Would be happy to walk away with one of those 4.
I'd be happy with Bartschi at 15 but I don't see him dropping that low.

Old
06-06-2011, 01:08 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
I'd be happy with Bartschi at 15 but I don't see him dropping that low.
Definitely less likely than the others, but with the crap shoot that is the non-top-tier of this draft, not unfathomable.

Old
06-06-2011, 01:26 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Ill take Puempel at 15.. that kid is going to be something special. Hell be the one everyone is kicking themselves in the faces about years down the road. Yes he had a hip surgery but the kid is flat out an offensive juggernaut and is a LW. He plays for a TERRIBLE Petersborough team and only played 55 games and still produced slightly better numbers than in his rookie campaign in nearly 20 or so less games

Old
06-06-2011, 01:29 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

How about we get Larsson to publicly declare that hed like to play on the Rangers so he can be with his buddies lindberg and Erixon

Old
06-06-2011, 02:32 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
How about we get Larsson to publicly declare that hed like to play on the Rangers so he can be with his buddies lindberg and Erixon

The plan becomes apparent now!

Also, i'd love to take Puempel.

Old
06-06-2011, 03:51 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Worse case, he could be Joel Otto (and that would be pretty damn good)...Best Case?, who knows.

The way his production ramped up this year would indicate there's some upside. Unfortunately he seems to be a riser and his showing at the combine won't hurt his standing. Unless there are some real surprises in the first round, doubt he makes iot to #15. Lots on Toronto media about him being a Brian Burke fave.

Old
06-06-2011, 03:53 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
I don't think McNeill would make it past Carolina @ 12.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
06-06-2011, 04:30 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
I don't think McNeill would make it past Carolina @ 12.
I think he will. I think they'll take Bartschi, or maybe Armia.

Old
06-06-2011, 05:42 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Just be happy they made a playoff push and aren't selecting #1 overall in this draft.

Old
06-06-2011, 09:35 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Redline arrived for me today. Love the work Kyle Woodlief puts into this. He does 2 mock drafts in his guide every year. First one had the Rangers taking McNeil. Second one had the Rangers taking Rocco Grimaldi. Here’s Redlines reports on both players…

McNeil

Teams in need of a natural center will love McNeil’s game. Shows good positioning at both ends of the ice and always makes himself available as an outlet for teammates. Uses his size to establish and hold position around the slot, but we’d like to see him initiate contact more often and play a more aggressive physical game – somewhat soft. Great offensive zone awareness along with very good creativity and soft hands for a big man. Strong on his stick and tough to separate from the puck. Gets back defensively to help out. Wins a high percentage of his faceoffs. Effective on both special teams. Dissapointing outing for Canada at the World U-18’s to finish up the season may have depressed his stock a bit, but we think he’s better suited to the North America ice surface and game.

Projection : 2nd Line Scoring Center for a Mid tier club.
Style Compares to : Brandon Dubinsky

Ranked 16th overall
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grimaldi

The straw that stirs the drink on the US National teams all important 1st line. Tiny little pocket rocket is an agitator extraordinaire and very willing to mix it up physically with much bigger foes. Dynamic skater with instant acceleration and a separation gear. Has possibly the best one-timer in the entire draft. Hand/eye coordination is off the charts. Tremendous finisher is a super sniper, but also unselfish with excellent playmaking ability. Impossible to contain or get a clean hit on- creates separation with lightning fast cuts and change of direction. Strong on skates too with a low center of gravity. Soft supple hands. Fabulous skills- great puck control in tight and at top gear. Constantly in attack mode and competes his ass off every shift. Highly disruptive in puck pursuit, exerts persistent puck pressure. Keenly instinctive and a true game-breaker.

Projection : Top line scorer who converts to wing as a pro
Style Compares to : Theo Fleury

Woodlief also adds…”Wow, would the hysterical bleacher creatures at Madison Square Garden eat this kids high energy, high octane game up with a spoon. Instant fan favorite, particularly with the goombah’s!” <--Ohhh, who’s he calling goombah’s?

Again, I love Woodliefs work. Not always the most appreciated here on HF, but I always thought his guides are among the best.

Old
06-06-2011, 09:47 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Redline arrived for me today. Love the work Kyle Woodlief puts into this. He does 2 mock drafts in his guide every year. First one had the Rangers taking McNeil. Second one had the Rangers taking Rocco Grimaldi. Here’s Redlines reports on both players…

McNeil

Teams in need of a natural center will love McNeil’s game. Shows good positioning at both ends of the ice and always makes himself available as an outlet for teammates. Uses his size to establish and hold position around the slot, but we’d like to see him initiate contact more often and play a more aggressive physical game – somewhat soft. Great offensive zone awareness along with very good creativity and soft hands for a big man. Strong on his stick and tough to separate from the puck. Gets back defensively to help out. Wins a high percentage of his faceoffs. Effective on both special teams. Dissapointing outing for Canada at the World U-18’s to finish up the season may have depressed his stock a bit, but we think he’s better suited to the North America ice surface and game.

Projection : 2nd Line Scoring Center for a Mid tier club.
Style Compares to : Brandon Dubinsky

Ranked 16th overall
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grimaldi

The straw that stirs the drink on the US National teams all important 1st line. Tiny little pocket rocket is an agitator extraordinaire and very willing to mix it up physically with much bigger foes. Dynamic skater with instant acceleration and a separation gear. Has possibly the best one-timer in the entire draft. Hand/eye coordination is off the charts. Tremendous finisher is a super sniper, but also unselfish with excellent playmaking ability. Impossible to contain or get a clean hit on- creates separation with lightning fast cuts and change of direction. Strong on skates too with a low center of gravity. Soft supple hands. Fabulous skills- great puck control in tight and at top gear. Constantly in attack mode and competes his ass off every shift. Highly disruptive in puck pursuit, exerts persistent puck pressure. Keenly instinctive and a true game-breaker.

Projection : Top line scorer who converts to wing as a pro
Style Compares to : Theo Fleury

Woodlief also adds…”Wow, would the hysterical bleacher creatures at Madison Square Garden eat this kids high energy, high octane game up with a spoon. Instant fan favorite, particularly with the goombah’s!” <--Ohhh, who’s he calling goombah’s?

Again, I love Woodliefs work. Not always the most appreciated here on HF, but I always thought his guides are among the best.
any chance you can post RLR's top 15 with projections and 'style compare to'? thanks

Old
06-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Grimaldi's description makes me salivate.

He is the one game-breaker we could get at #15.

I know people want big guys, but there just won't be an 18-year-old Lindros on the board at #15.

All those other guys have a max potential as second liners and will most likely be third liners. When guys like Getzlaf and Tkachuk last to the teen picks, its usually in strong years (not to mention that they way over-performed their potential). In a weak year, the odds of that happening are slim to none.

In all drafts, but especially the weak ones, a later-drafted player's size comes at a price: limited potential. If these guys had first line potential, they would not last until #15 in a WEAK draft.

Grimaldi is the one game-breaker we could get.

Can he fail? Sure. Are his odds of going bust greater than McNeill's? Definitely.

But guess which one of them can become a first liner, and even an All-Star.

We need to take that risk. With the glut solid guys who have 2-3 line potential, we can afford it.

No more taking guys with limited potential just because they are big and can play good defense. We already have one Brandon Prust.

Last edited by Beacon: 06-06-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old
06-06-2011, 10:14 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Yea we all know Grimaldi is easily the most gifted player in the draft and would be without a doubt the consensus #1 overall pick if he were 5-10 or 5-11 and 170 or 180 lbs.

But the kid is 5-6, 160. If that.

If we draft him, he better eat a crap load of red meet and lift a ton of weights.

Closed Thread