HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lindros - concussions (anxiety depression )...

Old
05-19-2011, 10:11 AM
Swiper the Fox

vCash: 500
Lindros - concussions (anxiety depression )...

http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/05/19/c...-untold-story/

Thought some of you may be interested !!

Quote:
Before there was Sidney Crosby, there was Eric Lindros. Both were hockey prodigies as young teenagers. Both were drafted first overall into the NHL. Both won the league MVP in their early 20s, both were captain of Team Canada at the Olympics, and both were hailed as the next Wayne Gretzky or Mario Lemieux. And then, in a fraction of a second, both fell victim to devastating concussions. The toll on Crosby, who has been sidelined since January, remains to be seen. But most fans know that Lindros was never the same after a series of blows to the head—at least eight by the time he retired in 2007. What few know, however—what he’s never talked about publicly before—is the psychological and emotional toll of those concussions.

That a Herculean hockey legend such as Lindros (he is six foot four and 255 lb.) is speaking out with disarming candour about the panic and desolation that he has endured is unprecedented. “You’re in a pretty rough-and-tumble environment with this sport. Talking about these things—you don’t talk about these things,” says Lindros. So while he was playing in the NHL, Lindros mostly kept his game face on. “You got to understand, you want to wake up in the morning and you want to look at yourself and say, ‘I’ve got the perfect engine to accomplish what I need to in this game tonight.’ You are not going to look in the mirror and say, ‘Boy, I’m depressed.’ ”

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 05-19-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Swiper the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 10:17 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

holy **** he's grey

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 10:35 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Personally, I have a new level of respect for big e after him talking about this type of thing. As someone who's personally struggled with clinical depression and other forms of mental illness, I can understand the emotional toll it takes on you when you're continuously neglecting what you're feeling and not really understanding why it's happening.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 11:35 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Man he's aged...Barkley still looks worse..

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 11:36 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
“I was extremely sarcastic. I was real short. I didn’t have patience for people,” says Lindros, 38. That rudeness mutated once he stepped on the ice into fear that the next concussion was just one hit away. “That’s why I played wing my last few years,” he explains of changing positions late in his career. “I hated cutting through the middle. I was avoiding parting the Red Sea.” Off the ice, Lindros developed a paralyzing sense of dread at the very thought of public speaking or of being in a crowd—once routine activities for the sports superstar. “I hated, absolutely hated, that. I’d avoid those scenarios. I didn’t like airports. I didn’t like galas. It would stress me out.”
Aha! This explains Richards' fear of the media and curtness with them and Carter's fear of contact and being moved to the wing! They are suffering from concussions!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 12:21 PM
kicksave27

I thought he handled himself with the media & fans pretty good earlier in his career, his Hart trophy speech was great & heartfelt. Nice guy at the carnivals. Makes me sad really, injuries and bad parenting ruined him.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 12:56 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

This is a good read.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Opus

Always have been, and always will be a fan of Lindros.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 01:41 PM
drownedsailors

You guys should read what Dave Bolland said about his concussion symptoms, and what he went through while he was out.

Quote:
"Headaches and dizzy and foggy," he said describing his condition. "I couldn't drive, I really couldn't do much. It was just sitting around my house doing nothing. It got pretty boring. Just a walk outside for me was an adventure for me. You do get pretty worried. I'd go to bed at 3 a.m., though I felt tired at 10. I couldn't sleep and wake up every morning wishing I'd snap out of it."

Though going through a prolonged back problem which ended with surgery last season, Bolland says his concussion is the worst injury he's endured.

"It's a drain to your body and a drain to your mind and sort of what do you do in that mode is sort of depressing," he said. "Some guys would want to do something and you just be like 'no, I want to stay in.' It was a tough time. I feel for [Penguins' Sidney] Crosby and some of those other guys. I'm glad I'm over that."
ugh I hate concussions, I can't even imagine how horrible that felt.

(BTW This quote is near the end of the article)

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nh...ory?id=6340086

drownedsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 02:39 PM
FlyerX

Full jaw protection . . . . it won't eliminate the problem, hasn't in football, but it will cut it down some.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 03:02 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Concussions are caused by the brain rattling inside the skull during rapid deceleration...unless you tied a pillow to your chin I don't see it making much difference when you consider the speed of the game, and that most concussions come from people falling backwards and being unable to break their fall.

Old
05-19-2011, 03:13 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Concussions are caused by the brain rattling inside the skull during rapid deceleration...unless you tied a pillow to your chin I don't see it making much difference when you consider the speed of the game, and that most concussions come from people falling backwards and being unable to break their fall.
Nuh uh, it's caused by too many Newtons.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 03:15 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
Nuh uh, it's caused by too many Newtons.
Cleansing the gene pool of the Newton clan ought to fix the concussion problem then.

Old
05-19-2011, 04:38 PM
FlyerX

Quote:
Exactly, so if some of the force is spread out by a facemask attached to a helmet, you'll get that. Guys are most often concussed before they hit the ice by shots to the jaw. Also, some serious emphasis on strengthening the neck can help.

Old
05-19-2011, 04:43 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerX View Post
Exactly, so if some of the force is spread out by a facemask attached to a helmet, you'll get that. Guys are most often concussed before they hit the ice by shots to the jaw. Also, some serious emphasis on strengthening the neck can help.
Most "technology" out there will result in the head suddenly jarring inside the helmet, regardless of the exterior of the helmet. It's likely the reason Messier's helmet isn't in full circulation, physics junkies argue it has minimal impact. (no pun intended )

I kid I kid, it's because they look stupid as ****.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 04:58 PM
Intentional Icing
why you little!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
couldn't agree more. growing up watching Lindros destroy people on the ice and score amazing goals is what got me into hockey.

i still have his autographed jersey framed and up on my wall. i just wish it wasn't too small to wear sometimes

Intentional Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 05:01 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
It isn't the shot to the the jaw that causes the concussion (Though it can, if you hit the guy hard enough..in which case the jaw protection won't do much because the head will still be moving). It's the head falling downwards and suddenly stopping when it hits the ice.

Unless it's some pretty substantial padding, it just isn't going to prevent the brain from rattling around. I fear there isn't really a solution.

Old
05-19-2011, 05:01 PM
BlackDog13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Agreed.

BlackDog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Hollywood Couturier

I know it's a small detail but Crosby wasn't the captain of Team Canada in the Olympics

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 06:39 PM
FlyerX

Quote:
It isn't the shot to the the jaw that causes the concussion (Though it can, if you hit the guy hard enough..in which case the jaw protection won't do much because the head will still be moving). It's the head falling downwards and suddenly stopping when it hits the ice.

Unless it's some pretty substantial padding, it just isn't going to prevent the brain from rattling around. I fear there isn't really a solution.
Your contention that concussions are coming largely from players hitting their heads on the ice is simply wrong.

Old
05-19-2011, 06:55 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Your contention that concussions are coming largely from players hitting their heads on the ice is simply wrong.
I guess it wasn't clear, but I also said if contact with another player is hard enough, jaw protection isn't going to prevent it.

Also, if you're contending that elbows to the face are causing concussions, you may want to watch those hits. You'll notice that their head generally bounces off the ice at some point.

Old
05-19-2011, 06:55 PM
SolidSnakeUS

My how the great has fallen. I feel so bad for him now. I had no idea things like this could get so far out of hand.

OT, I just can't remember, who was the hockey player who saved his son from being run over by a tractor but he died in the process?

Last edited by SolidSnakeUS: 05-19-2011 at 07:02 PM.
SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 07:01 PM
FlyerX

Quote:
I guess it wasn't clear, but I also said if contact with another player is hard enough, jaw protection isn't going to prevent it.

Also, if you're contending that elbows to the face are causing concussions, you may want to watch those hits. You'll notice that their head generally bounces off the ice at some point.

All sorts of things cause them . . . punches, elbows, shoulders, pucks. But a great many concussions are shots to the jaw and a face mask will absorb and spread that force out. Of course they wouldn't eliminate concussions, like I already wrote, they haven't in football. Lots of things need to be done, guys are reckless, guys lack respect for their opponents.

Old
05-19-2011, 07:06 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
All sorts of things cause them . . . punches, elbows, shoulders, pucks. But a great many concussions are shots to the jaw and a face mask will absorb and spread that force out. Of course they wouldn't eliminate concussions, like I already wrote, they haven't in football. Lots of things need to be done, guys are reckless, guys lack respect for their opponents.
Short of a full helmet with crumple zones, I just don't think it's possible to prevent these concussions.

edit: That doesn't mean I think they shouldn't try. I just don't know what sort of success they can really have without changing the game.

edit2: Few concussions seem to result from pucks to the head or getting punched without falling. Most concussions seem to come from having the head slammed into the boards, or the ice. It's hard to tell if flying armor encased elbows and shoulder-to-head hits cause concussions because the victim often strikes his head on the ice as a result of the hit, but either way, with those kinds of hits at these speeds face protection isn't going to help you. A visor alone can cut down on the puck-to-forehead problem, and better design can eliminate puck-to-helmet (like Green's concussion) incidents. It's rare to punch someone and concuss them because of that.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 05-19-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old
05-19-2011, 07:17 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
OT, I just can't remember, who was the hockey player who saved his son from being run over by a tractor but he died in the process?
Barry Tabobondung

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote