HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-12 Roster/FA Discussion & Cap Tracker

Old
08-02-2011, 12:45 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
Yea it's too bad the defense looks set. White is a better version of Commodore and comes without all the risk/questions, he would have been a nice pick up. I think he'd greatly improve the PK and make the D that much more imposing to play against.
I'm not sure why anyone considers the defense set. If there are better options, is it a major ordeal to demote Commodore?

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 09:09 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
I don't want to sign any more vet D unless we're going with 8 D and they're fine being the 8th guy. I'd rather run Kindl out there more often, let him find his legs, and see what we have with him. Same with up front. I hope we see guys like Holmstrom and Bert moved down the order, while moving Hudler, Flip, Helm, Gator and Eaves up.

08-03-2011, 10:18 AM
NumberFive
Just a Schnook

Rather curious, seems like a lot of people are backing the idea of taking Lidstrom off the PK altogether in 2011-12. Why? Granted, he's getting long in the tooth, but he still put up impressive PK numbers in 2010-11 to the point that it helped him get the Norris...?

NumberFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberFive View Post
Rather curious, seems like a lot of people are backing the idea of taking Lidstrom off the PK altogether in 2011-12. Why? Granted, he's getting long in the tooth, but he still put up impressive PK numbers in 2010-11 to the point that it helped him get the Norris...?
I can't say I'm for it, but I'd do it if we're not going to use him there in the playoffs (like we didn't this past season). Get him off of it now and let the rest of the team get acclimated to not having him out there.

Winger98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 11:02 AM
NumberFive
Just a Schnook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I can't say I'm for it, but I'd do it if we're not going to use him there in the playoffs (like we didn't this past season). Get him off of it now and let the rest of the team get acclimated to not having him out there.
Couldn't agree more. I think that really hurt us in the playoffs. When you have a formula that's working in the regular season, you use the same formula in the playoffs...just kick it up a notch.

NumberFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 10:55 AM
The Yzerman
1983 - 4th Overall

vCash: 1225
This trade was proposed on the Trades Thread. What do you think?

Stempniak, Pyatt for Hudler, Emmerton and a 6th

Is the value there?

The Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 10:57 AM
Leafssss

Sorry to bother you guys, but I have a few questions.

What were the defensive pairings for the Red Wings last year?

Did Lidstrom and Stuart play a lot together? If at all during the regular season?

I'm in a little draft competition and would you say a Lidstrom - Paul Martin pairing is suitable?

Leafssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 11:37 AM
The Yzerman
1983 - 4th Overall

vCash: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafssss View Post
Sorry to bother you guys, but I have a few questions.

What were the defensive pairings for the Red Wings last year?

Did Lidstrom and Stuart play a lot together? If at all during the regular season?

I'm in a little draft competition and would you say a Lidstrom - Paul Martin pairing is suitable?
For most of last year, the pairings were :

Lidstrom - Rafalski
Kronwall - Stuart
Ericsson - Salei

The Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 11:49 AM
Heaton
#hope

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardingsJockstrap View Post
For most of last year, the pairings were :

Lidstrom - Rafalski
Kronwall - Stuart
Ericsson - Salei
That's untrue, Rafalski and Lidstrom were specifically split up last season.

Without looking for confirmation it was more like:

Lidstrom - Stuart
Kronwall - Salei
Ericsson - Rafalski

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:33 PM
BSHH
HSVer & Rotflügel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardingsJockstrap View Post
This trade was proposed on the Trades Thread. What do you think?

Stempniak, Pyatt for Hudler, Emmerton and a 6th

Is the value there?
The value might be there. But I would be against it, because I think that the Red Wings have several good defensive forwards, but need some wingers with a better production. At least Hudler was such a player, neither Stempniak nor Pyatt ever were.

Gruß,
BSHH

BSHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:56 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Anyone else wondering what exactly Doughty is looking for from LA? I figured their rumored offers (7/$52M) would be more than enough to get it done, but apparently not. IS he looking for $8m+ or something that would just take him to his UFA years?

Winger98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 02:25 PM
Datzsick

I want Holland to add either a Dman or a Elite winger at the deadline.

Hudler
tatar
2012 1st

for Iginla

Filppula Datsyuk Iginla
Franzen Zetterberg Bertuzzi

or go nuts and own teams with a line of

Zetterberg Datsyuk Iginla

Datzsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 04:42 PM
Lint07

Hey guys I've got a question for you... I'm preparing for my Keeper Pool draft and I'm trying to make my mind on some possible picks.

So, what are the chances of Brendan Smith and/or Tomas Tatar to make the big club this season and what you think will be their role? With the departure of Rafalski I guess that Smith should make it as a regular but do you see him getting quality PP minutes? What about Tatar? Any chance he'll crack the top-6 right away (if he makes the team, that is)?

Bonus question what you would say are their individual upside longterm?

Thanks alot in advance!

Lint07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 04:52 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lint07 View Post
Hey guys I've got a question for you... I'm preparing for my Keeper Pool draft and I'm trying to make my mind on some possible picks.

So, what are the chances of Brendan Smith and/or Tomas Tatar to make the big club this season and what you think will be their role? With the departure of Rafalski I guess that Smith should make it as a regular but do you see him getting quality PP minutes? What about Tatar? Any chance he'll crack the top-6 right away (if he makes the team, that is)?

Bonus question what you would say are their individual upside longterm?

Thanks alot in advance!
I don't expect either will make the team out of camp and neither will be regulars, given who the Wings currently have on their roster and the fact that both are still waiver exempt. I think both will see at least one call-up and get some games, but nothing to depend on from a fantasy hockey perspective.

Injuries aside, if one surprises and becomes a full-timer, I expect it to be Tatar. But that would require him having a great camp and preseason, and Cory Emmerton crashing and burning. Smith is just too far back on the depth chart atm.

As far as long-term upside, Smith should be a top-4 guy who excels on the PP. Whether he hones his defensive game, assumes a significant PK role, and becomes an overall #1 or #2 guy is anyone's guess. Tatar has a nice combination of skill and a motor. He has physical limitations, but his upside is as a top-6 winger, maybe a first-line guy if he really explodes. If the point production doesn't happen, he still has the tools to thrive on the 3rd line, imo, but with him still being so young I think he can make for a good 2nd-line winger at least.

Last edited by jaster: 08-24-2011 at 05:01 PM.
jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:34 PM
HankTheTank

are we really going to start the year 6 million under the cap

??????

Is this a case of poor asset management / bad luck in free agency or are we short on revenues and Mr. Illitch needs to trim a bit of wages?

HankTheTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:16 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankTheTank View Post

??????

Is this a case of poor asset management / bad luck in free agency or are we short on revenues and Mr. Illitch needs to trim a bit of wages?
Holland will use the money if he needs to. There is no internal salary cap for the Wings at this moment.

The idea is that Holland will use the money before the trade line if the team is lacking something.

Half glass full mentality is that Holland didnt want to overpay a bunch of FA's that werent that great.

Half glass empty was no one wanted to play for Detroit and Holland got out GM'd by the other GM's.

TLDR

Holland will spend the money if he has to or wants to.

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 06:15 AM
Henkka

Last time we started millions under the cap we won the Stanley Cup.

Added only Stuart at trade trade deadline and rest is history.

I have a good feeling about this.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 07:47 AM
Heaton
#hope

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:

??????

Why spend it just to spend it?

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 11:26 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Holland sucked this offseason. There were ways to improve the team and he just didn't see them.
He did see that Ericsson was worth $3.5M and Hannan wasn't worth $1M, so... that gives you an idea about Holland;s offseason.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 01:37 PM
probertrules24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Holland sucked this offseason. There were ways to improve the team and he just didn't see them.
He did see that Ericsson was worth $3.5M and Hannan wasn't worth $1M, so... that gives you an idea about Holland;s offseason.
Holland looked at Ericsson as being part of the D core for years to come. Not signing Hannan to a 1 year stop gap deal isn't really the best comparison.

probertrules24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 03:00 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
I'm upset at the uneventful off-season. And hate Ericsson's deal as much as the next guy, but you terribly overrate Scott Hannan. Would I prefer Hannan to Commodore? Probably, but the difference aint that big.

There were some guys who I would've like to have gotten but a lot were overpaid because of the weak market. And just because you have money don't mean you gotta spend it.

Guys I liked like Cole, Gagne, Upshall, Hejda and Fleischmann all got about 1m more than I think they're worth. And apparently we were in on the Upshall and Flash but Florida needed to reach the floor and overpaid them.

Last edited by Big Poppa Puck: 09-15-2011 at 08:59 PM. Reason: spelling/grammar
Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 08:16 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:
We had already signed our Hannan. His name is Mike Commodore. Don't need two of them.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 11:43 AM
pdd

Quote:

??????

The CBA ends after this season, and there are rumors that the new cap system is going to reduce the cap significantly. So adding a couple of marginal players at multi-year contracts just because you have space when you have Datsyuk, Filppula, Cleary, Hudler, Kronwall, Stuart, and Howard coming up as UFA in the next three summers is kind of Chicago-ing yourself.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 06:17 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
The CBA ends after this season, and there are rumors that the new cap system is going to reduce the cap significantly. So adding a couple of marginal players at multi-year contracts just because you have space when you have Datsyuk, Filppula, Cleary, Hudler, Kronwall, Stuart, and Howard coming up as UFA in the next three summers is kind of Chicago-ing yourself.
No, there aren't.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 12:09 PM
SirKillalot

I want to see Detroit trading a pick or a scrub for Zuccarello. He can really fit this teams style of play. Yes he is small, but quite good enough.

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote