HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs sign Raphael Diaz (May 2011)

Old
05-13-2011, 02:25 PM
tycho

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcat1 View Post
A man that I know in Switzerland who's, as far as I understand, a part-time hockey scout emailed me saying the following:

"I definitely believe that Diaz can become as good as Streit! At the same age Diaz is even slightly better but Streit has this unique asset to become year by year because he works so hard mentally and preparex excellent physically. I don't think at this point that Diaz is in thes section as good as Streit but he is also smart and works hard but maybe not very hard. In other aspects they are comparable. I guess Streit has the better one-timer but Diaz is a smart shooter who never overpowers his shots and uses the wristshot a lot. He does give the crowded slot-people always a chance for deflections."

I don't know if this was mentioned before but, on top of that, Marc-Antoine Godin of Cyberpresse.ca said that, according to the Swiss press, Diaz was also courted by Anaheim & Chicago.

So, on the whole, according to him, this is a very good signing. He may not make the team but no one knows.

Also, this may be a bit of an insurance policy against any complications in signing Emelin.

We'll see.
Actually, there have been rumors in the last days that Diaz is in negotiations with NHL teams, which was also confirmed by his now former team EVZ. Until today there were only rumors about Anaheim and Chicago. Thus, the Montreal signing is a little bit of a surprise in Switzerland.

tycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:27 PM
doug88

vCash: 365
I assume he won't make his NHL debut next year, in my opinion he'll play in the AHL during the 2011/12 season then come back in Switzerland for 12/13. I don't know why but montreal isn't a great team for Swiss players, they don't believe in our players. I also hope Weber will be traded cause to me he won't make the team in montreal. Again it's just my opinion.

doug88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:32 PM
Richiebottles
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
That's Darche's speciality.
Actually it could be Alain Berger if he turns out and right now it is patches

Richiebottles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:33 PM
SwissButch
in CA OCT-NOV '12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
If he can be anything close to Streit but more physical at his peak, this is a great signing
he's defently more physical than streit. and i'd say he's also better defensily but hasn't the offensive potenzial.

SwissButch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:36 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Huh/ Who? guys don't be desperate...Montreal is a Major League City, unless we are signing Gaborik or someone with a name, stop looking for scraps!

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:40 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Me Gusta

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:41 PM
Spectaculard
Trout109HR330RBI407R

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
Huh/ Who? guys don't be desperate...Montreal is a Major League City, unless we are signing Gaborik or someone with a name, stop looking for scraps!
This ain't nhl11 dude.

Spectaculard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:42 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug88 View Post
I assume he won't make his NHL debut next year, in my opinion he'll play in the AHL during the 2011/12 season then come back in Switzerland for 12/13. I don't know why but montreal isn't a great team for Swiss players, they don't believe in our players. I also hope Weber will be traded cause to me he won't make the team in montreal. Again it's just my opinion.
Mark Streit made a name for himself because of the Habs who were the only ones to have given him a chance to play in this league. Weber didn't have enough experience and with all our injuries might have hurt him even more just trowing him in there full time. He is a good young player and will play here on a full time basis real soon.

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Shutdown

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...eil_ECRAN1POS5

His agent, who played with both Diaz and Streit, says Diaz is ahead of Streit at the same age, and will become the best Swiss player ever.

The article goes on to say the agent expects or sees no problem with Diaz starting the year off in Hamilton.

Shutdown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:55 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATCHESx67 View Post
ok why do people keep saying nobody would take spacek like are u guys serious ? jaro has one more year at 3.5 why woudlnt a team that need veteran d's take him ? no huge risk worst case scenario he has a bad year again and doesnt get re-signed its not like the guy has 5 more years in hes contract

we took gomez not too long ago and hes case was 10x worst
Because all those teams would just rather have their youngsters battle for final spots on their roster than give that spot to an over-the-hill, overpaid liability?
My biggest worry is actually not if we can get rid of Spacek. I've already come to grips with the fact that we're probably stuck with him for another year. What I'm more worried about is Martin. Whenever Spacek has been healthy, Martin has never benched him because he sucked. He refuses to admit that Weber is a better option than Spacek. This really, really annoys me. It seems clear to me and everyone else that Spacek should be the team's 7th d-man... except for Martin.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Patccmoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown View Post

His agent, who played with both Diaz and Streit, says Diaz is ahead of Streit at the same age, and will become the best Swiss player ever.
Have to take the words of a guy's agent with a grain of salt (or 2) since their job is to sell the player, but it's always nice to hear something like that from people that know the guy well.

We'll see how he develops but the more I hear about him the more interested I am in seeing him play more. Sounds like we will be stacked of young defensemen with offensive potential soon with Subban, Weber, Diaz, Emelin (not sure if we can say offensive potential there but he was putting up some numbers this year). We know that Subban is the real deal, but if even just one of the other 3 becomes a steady top 4 D, we'll have a very nice, young and mobile defense in 1-2 years.

I'm pretty sure that Gauthier has no plan of resigning Wiz the way he's going with his signings. Would not make much sense to give him an expensive multi-seasons contract while signing and developping young right-handed offensive d-men that are good on the PP.

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:58 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown View Post

The article goes on to say the agent expects or sees no problem with Diaz starting the year off in Hamilton.
The most interesting part of this article for me is that Don Meehan negotiated his contract with the Habs ...

Meehan now = Markov + Emelin + Diaz + Kostitsyn

Meehan and Gauthier will REALLY get to know each other

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 03:02 PM
Leo Getz

In the highlights on the canadiens website/youtubes. Why is there one guy on his team with a yellow helmet/yellow on his jersey? Is that the way they denote the captain or something?

Edit: just rewatched and in one clip it says "Top scorer" on the back. I guess that answers my question.

Leo Getz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycho View Post
Actually, there have been rumors in the last days that Diaz is in negotiations with NHL teams, which was also confirmed by his now former team EVZ. Until today there were only rumors about Anaheim and Chicago. Thus, the Montreal signing is a little bit of a surprise in Switzerland.
Players and agents are probably looking at montreal only having 2 signed d-men going into next season. I know I would especially if I'm at the age of Diaz where you are no longer a prospect. He must have a clear goal of making the squad right away and he sees more chance of that happening in montreal than anaheim or chicago.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 03:21 PM
Natedawg
Lars Eller

http://www.cjad.com/Blog/HabsNews/bl...tryID=10236931

Audio Clip with Diaz' agent Gerald Metroz.

Natedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 03:22 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Players and agents are probably looking at montreal only having 2 signed d-men going into next season. I know I would especially if I'm at the age of Diaz where you are no longer a prospect. He must have a clear goal of making the squad right away and he sees more chance of that happening in montreal than anaheim or chicago.
That's true, and yet despite all of that he'll have to have one heck of a camp to make the team out the gate.

One thing that this and the apparent Emelin signing indicates to me is that Montreal is walking away from one of Wisniewski or Markov, my bet being on Wisniewski. Should be interesting how much money the intend on committing to the defense corps next season, it looks like it might be considerably less than last season.

Is Gauthier planning to go shopping for a forward?

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 03:24 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Bieber and him are very close.

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Boardish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I'm sure having a ''Swiss connection'' in Montreal also helped his decision. We have Weber, Berger, Meyer. Streit successfully made his jump in the NHL with our team. DiPietro and Metropolit might have played a role too.

Not sure if he speaks french, but living in Montreal for an European player might make the adaptation easier too.

Boardish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 03:42 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
Because all those teams would just rather have their youngsters battle for final spots on their roster than give that spot to an over-the-hill, overpaid liability?
My biggest worry is actually not if we can get rid of Spacek. I've already come to grips with the fact that we're probably stuck with him for another year. What I'm more worried about is Martin. Whenever Spacek has been healthy, Martin has never benched him because he sucked. He refuses to admit that Weber is a better option than Spacek. This really, really annoys me. It seems clear to me and everyone else that Spacek should be the team's 7th d-man... except for Martin.
Because irregardless of how you think he played, Spacek was a solid contributor last year. He played relatively tough minutes and ended up a solid +9. Montreal has better internal options because of the large number of NHL caliber defensemen in the organization (that admittedly would have to be resigned). Spacek is a competent 2nd pairing and excellent 3rd pairing player at this point. Teams with defensive depth issues like Florida would need temporary fixes like him to shelter their young defensemen that would get destroyed by real NHL players.

Guys like Diaz are free assests. You get them into your organization, see if they can play at an NHL level, then if they can you move either them or the players you made reduntant by having them for other assests. Being able to do this is the advantage of having money and a good team in Hamilton. At this point the signing has little bearing on the NHL lineup.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 03:46 PM
NewHabsEra*

Im surprised nobody thought of the possibility this guy was really the one Gauthier targeted.. I mean Gauthier said some days ago that he wasnt going to talk about his strategy when asked about Yemelin.. So maybe Gauthier used Emelin has a "screen" to make sure to have the best chances to sign this Diaz kid.. Watching the clips on him, the guy looks very fast, smooth and talended while Emelin has been a desapointment to me in the tourney, this kid obviously has alot of work to do on his positionning and reading of the play.. I wouldnt be surprised to hear very soon that Emelin is no longer in the plans since the kid obviously dont want to spend time in the minors while Diaz is willing to..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 04:15 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
So maybe Gauthier used Emelin has a "screen" to make sure to have the best chances to sign this Diaz kid..
If it's the case, Gauthier is a hell of a troll.

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 04:20 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
That's true, and yet despite all of that he'll have to have one heck of a camp to make the team out the gate.

One thing that this and the apparent Emelin signing indicates to me is that Montreal is walking away from one of Wisniewski or Markov, my bet being on Wisniewski. Should be interesting how much money the intend on committing to the defense corps next season, it looks like it might be considerably less than last season.

Is Gauthier planning to go shopping for a forward?
Habs stacking D with younger cheaper players to go for Richards

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 04:53 PM
Lucius

The only element I find odd here is that he's a right handed shot and by all accounts a lot like Weber.

Down the right side then, we already have Subban under contract and Weber as an RFA. I cannot imagine that all three of them are NHL regulars next year.

Emelin, Gill and Markov (assuming they sign) are all lefties. Spacek is a leftie and Gorges is a leftie who plays the right.

I assume Picard is gone or insurance, so at this point I'd imagine:

Markov / Subban
Gill / Gorges
Emelin / Weber / Spacek

Diaz, Klubertanz, Nash, Carle, St. Denis are the reserves.

That said, given the profile and the competition, unless something odd happens, he might well be the #1 recall or replacement if Weber doesn't quite crack the team.

Last edited by Lucius: 05-13-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 04:59 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
The only element I find odd here is that he's a right handed shot and by all accounts a lot like Weber.

Down the right side then, we already have Weber and Subban under contract. I cannot imagine that all three of them are NHL regulars next year.

Emelin, Gill and Markov (assuming they sign) are all lefties. Spacek is a leftie and Gorges is a leftie who plays the right.

I assume Picard is gone or insurance, so at this point I'd imagine:

Markov / Subban
Gill / Gorges
Emelin / Weber / Spacek

Diaz, Klubertanz, Nash, Carle, St. Denis are the reserves.

That said, given the profile and the competition, unless something odd happens, he might well be the #1 recall or replacement if Weber doesn't quite crack the team.
Weber isn't under contract.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 05:04 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Weber isn't under contract.
Fair enough, but with a prospect who cracked the NHL roster coming off his entry level deal, I think it's safe to assume him being signed is all but a formality.

Nonetheless, post fixed. Thanks!

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote