HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs sign Raphael Diaz (May 2011)

Old
05-13-2011, 05:06 PM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyClutch View Post
If it's the case, Gauthier is a hell of a troll.
With all the Russians we drafted that turned down to the org., it would be a just return of the balance IMO. Personally I cant stand them anymore.. They have a hard time learning the language and acclimate to the culture.. they have no interest to spend time in the minors where about all our kids are developped.. They have a hard time to understand the basics of the N.A. type of game.. And most of them arent the hardest workers out there... How many quality Russians grinders we have in the NHL? Or, how many quality bottom lines players are Russians in the NHL? Russians just think the game differently..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 05:06 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Fair enough, but with a prospect who cracked the NHL roster coming off his entry level deal, I think it's safe to assume him being signed is all but a formality.

Nonetheless, post fixed. Thanks!
Well, him wanting to re-sign is indeed a formality. What we don't know is if Gauthier wants to trade or keep him.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
I think you guys are reading too much into this and what it means for the defence going forward.

The Habs are adding a free asset with upside to the organization. It should be viewed as that for now. There is little, if any, risk here. He's a bonus.

Diaz will determine what happens next with his play in camp and in Hamilton.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 05:12 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Well, him wanting to re-sign is indeed a formality. What we don't know is if Gauthier wants to trade or keep him.
Even if traded, he still resigns.

And as far as I can tell, there has been this random group-think decision that for some reason Weber is getting traded that has no basis in anything other than often repeated wisdom on this forum, which if ever right, would mean the team would be populated exclusively be Lecavalier and Artyukin.

Not saying he's untouchable by any lengthy stretch, but unless some other team demands him as part of a bigger deal, players that age are never traded unless the team has given up on them. And if you think a team that promoted him permanently to the NHL this year and dressed him in a few playoff games is about to toss him out, you're projecting. He played in three of seven playoff games, scored two goals and was dressed as a forward for Game 7 despite a healthy Benoit Pouliot on the roster, where he then scored a goal (while playing defense). That's called development. He'll be back,

I'd bet that unless he is included in a package as an asset in a bigger deal, he is starting the season in Montreal's top 7.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 05:34 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Even if traded, he still resigns.

And as far as I can tell, there has been this random group-think decision that for some reason Weber is getting traded that has no basis in anything other than often repeated wisdom on this forum, which if ever right, would mean the team would be populated exclusively be Lecavalier and Artyukin.

Not saying he's untouchable by any lengthy stretch, but unless some other team demands him as part of a bigger deal, players that age are never traded unless the team has given up on them. And if you think a team that promoted him permanently to the NHL this year and dressed him in a few playoff games is about to toss him out, you're projecting. He played in three of seven playoff games, scored two goals and was dressed as a forward for Game 7 despite a healthy Benoit Pouliot on the roster, where he then scored a goal (while playing defense). That's called development. He'll be back,

I'd bet that unless he is included in a package as an asset in a bigger deal, he is starting the season in Montreal's top 7.
Weber should be played, look at what happen with Goligovski, he was far from a lock on the top four before he secured his spot and broke out offensivly. I Believe Weber could be that type of player, trade him later when his stock has risen, like Pitts did.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Le depisteur

Bob Hartley said it's a very good acquisition and doesn't think Diaz will play in Hamilton...

http://www.ckac.com/hockey/nouvelles...rop-75911.html

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 05:38 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
Bob Hartley said it's a very good acquisition and doesn't think Diaz will play in Hamilton...

http://www.ckac.com/hockey/nouvelles...rop-75911.html
He said he doesn't think he's willing to play in Hamilton, while his own agent said he is.

Old
05-13-2011, 05:39 PM
Franky Gee

It seems like every year we sign a Euro player (or someone playing in Europe) and he's supposed to become a roster player and it never happens...

Janne Lahti
Klubertanz
Enqvist

Franky Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 05:49 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky Gee View Post
It seems like every year we sign a Euro player (or someone playing in Europe) and he's supposed to become a roster player and it never happens...

Janne Lahti
Klubertanz
Enqvist
I for one never thought that any of them had a real shot, aside from Enqvist, and he did. He looked good. It wouldn't be a surprise if Diaz does at some point.

Old
05-13-2011, 05:51 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:

Janne Lahti
Klubertanz
Enqvist
Klubertanz is an AHLer, pretty solid, could be a 5th or 6th soon.
Engqvist is a 3rd liner beast, basically a Jeff Halpern but less offense, but his defensive play is incredible, he might crack the NHL this year.
Lahti well i duno i got nothin on that one

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 05:54 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Streit, Weber and now him, we have Swiss connections
Berger too.

I was just reading about him in the prospect forum.

Engqvist and Klubernatz are 1 year. Engqvist actually got called up and played well. He has size and he's great at faceoffs it seems. He could crack the team next year, if not probably the year after for sure.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 05:55 PM
E = CH²

Quote:

Janne Lahti
Klubertanz
Enqvist
I don't remember those three guys praised as Diaz is being praised.

I don't think anyone expected them to make the team either.

Things seem different with Diaz. But I have never seen him play, just going by what hockey people are saying.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 05:56 PM
shortcat1

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
Shortcat

Are you by any chance an SNFU fan? Just wondering bc your avatar is a photo they used on "...And No One Else Wanted to Play"

Agree, Diaz is a good signing, low-risk with upside.
Nope... not an SNFU fan but I'm glad to see that this photo is recognized by someone else.

A couple of years ago, I saw a film called "Fur", a biography (of sorts) of a 1950s photographer called Diane Arbus. Her work comprised primarily of illustrations of forgotten or ignored or rejected members of society.

This is one of her photos. I found it fascinating, strange, way out there, if not outrageous. Just my kind of stuff (in a limited way).

Part of what's interesting from me is that, if the photo was taken in the late 50's, the kid in the photo would be about my age at the time - somewhere between 6 - 8 years of age.

If you want to see some really interesting but, keeping in mind that it's from the 50's, some rather avantguard photo subjects, Type 'Diane Arbus' in the google search bar and click 'images' in the next page. All sorts of fascinating stuff awaits you.

Last edited by shortcat1: 05-13-2011 at 06:16 PM.
shortcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Roulin

Quote:

Janne Lahti
Klubertanz
Enqvist
Streit became a useful role player, and is now a big minutes dman. Engqvist has played some games, and might have a shot at earning a regular 4C job eventually. I think most always saw Klubertanz as an AHL signing. Lahti just didn't pan out.

I think this is a pretty good success rate for undrafted free agents (and late round overage draft picks). At this point, it's part of an organization's duty to look for undrafted gems in every league. Same thing in the Q, for every Beauregard and Olivier Latendresse, there's a Desharnais.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 06:01 PM
tarrin8

obviously Montreal signs another guy under 6foot

tarrin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 06:04 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:

Janne Lahti
Klubertanz
Enqvist
These are risk-free attempts to find diamonds in the rough and thus are great moves.

And I have no doubt that Engqvist will be a third/fourth line NHL player.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 06:07 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Say the off-season goes like that

Markov is signed along with Yemelin and Diaz.

Markov - ?????
Gorges - Subban
Spacek - ????

Think Yemelin gets spot with Markov. Not because he's good, but because his defensive awareness is effy ? then Diaz and Weber battle for the last spot leaving whichever one on the trading block ?

I mean, Weber is due to get a fair shot from the start of the season, no ?

Holy **** I forgot Gorges

Last edited by Analyzer: 05-13-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 06:15 PM
shortcat1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyClutch View Post
Bieber and him are very close.

I can't help it... and I'm surprised no one else has bothered but I didn't know Justin (family name spelling aside) played hockey too.

Multi-talenteded kid.

shortcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 06:22 PM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug88 View Post
I assume he won't make his NHL debut next year, in my opinion he'll play in the AHL during the 2011/12 season then come back in Switzerland for 12/13. I don't know why but montreal isn't a great team for Swiss players, they don't believe in our players. I also hope Weber will be traded cause to me he won't make the team in montreal. Again it's just my opinion.
The canadian system has presently :
Weber, Meyer, Berger and now Diaz ... 4 !

Not one other NHL organization has 4 swiss players !

Ducks 2
Islanders 2

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 06:25 PM
billy piton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
Because there are younger cheaper options out there on the ufa market. MAYBE if a team loses out on everyone they want on the ufa market and are completely Desperate, but I still can't see it. I think teams would rather just go sign Hamrlik to a deal they want to rather than take on Spacek. Sorry but that signing was a bad one and we are probably stuck with it. You can't just dump 37 year old defenseman making close to 3.8 million on teams.
yes, but younger and cheaper options usually seek longer contracts. jaro could be an interesting option for florida, colorado or nyi if the habs put him on waivers. he would be a decent veteran presence and they could flip him at the deadline and earn some picks.

billy piton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 06:56 PM
Andros777

He has similar stats to Streit the year we drafted him.

Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 07:12 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
The canadian system has presently :
Weber, Meyer, Berger and now Diaz ... 4 !

Not one other NHL organization has 4 swiss players !

Ducks 2
Islanders 2
You can also include Streit as he was drafted and brought up. Habs seem to really like Swiss players.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 07:18 PM
Andros777

I wonder why no one has signed or drafted Conz.

Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 07:52 PM
andrew2

I've been more and more impressed with swiss prospects over the last few years, starting with their junior teams all the way up to their mens showings at international competitions. They seem to have a good hockey program, even they don't get a whole lot of exposure, i think its a matter of time before they start producing more quality prospects. Hopefully Diaz can make his game translate to the nhl!

andrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 08:10 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

He seems like a nice song writer. Just like Gauthier likes them.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote