HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs sign Raphael Diaz (May 2011)

Old
05-13-2011, 09:25 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros777 View Post
I wonder why no one has signed or drafted Conz.
Not big enough to play his style of goaltending in the NHL.

That's why.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 10:08 PM
HomaridII

renhockey renaud lavoie
Bonis signature @maxchartier: #canadiens Raphael Diaz 1 an / 810 000 + 90 000 SB (67 500 ahl)”.

There is his AHL salary if you were interested

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 10:19 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
I don't know him but I think it's a good move.

Looking forward for preseason games.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 10:30 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Not big enough to play his style of goaltending in the NHL.

That's why.
Tim Thomas has made a good career for himself after getting a chance, and he is a small goalie and a flopper at that.

Conz at least has talent and style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Streit, Weber and now him, we have Swiss connections
Don't forget, or I guess we are trying to forget...Aebisher in net too!

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 10:32 PM
McNuts

178 replies for Rafael Diaz... Yep, this is the Habs board

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 11:59 PM
almostjesus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolkaTruesilver View Post
But is he respectful?
This made me lol

almostjesus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 12:18 AM
Scotianhab

We love the Swiss.

Weber, Diaz, Berger, Mayer signed. Streit & Aeibischer in the past.

Scotianhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 12:25 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky Gee View Post
It seems like every year we sign a Euro player (or someone playing in Europe) and he's supposed to become a roster player and it never happens...

Janne Lahti
Klubertanz
Enqvist
Two are still in the organization, one got to the NHL for a cup of tea.

Lahti may have been the most hyped, but no one is 100% on signings.

Also, Klubertanz was playing in Europe, but is not European.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 12:44 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post
178 replies for Rafael Diaz... Yep, this is the Habs board
Ive the feeling this signing will be huge at the end.. The Swiss are impressive since a couple of years and I just heard Hartley commenting on him, saying he was the best defenseman in their league, that the kid competes very hard every shifts, has some serious skills and while not very physical, he still plays a pretty cerebral game and excels defensively.. He compares him to Rafalski.. Hartley thinks he has what it takes to make the team straight from the camp..

It looks like a real good signing this time unlike most of our recent ones..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 12:49 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Two are still in the organization, one got to the NHL for a cup of tea.

Lahti may have been the most hyped, but no one is 100% on signings.

Also, Klubertanz was playing in Europe, but is not European.
Lahti wasn't even that bad of a signing, Habs just saw some upside in him. They were kinda right too. Lahti is now one of the best players in the Finnish league. Led the league in goals by a wide margin and was third in the league in points.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 12:49 AM
Jean-Guy Drouin*

A barely-midget in NHL defenceman terms.

WTF. He better be ****ing awesome in offence....

Jean-Guy Drouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 12:57 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
And I have no doubt that Engqvist will be a third/fourth line NHL player.
I didnt see Engvist play with the Bulldogs but Ive seen the 2 games he played with the Habs and the kid certainly didnt let me a very good impression, he didnt look very confortable and his work ethic didnt impress me at all.. Based on those 2 games I would be effraid to see this guy on my starting line-up, we need more sandpaper on our bottom lines..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Lahti wasn't even that bad of a signing, Habs just saw some upside in him. They were kinda right too. Lahti is now one of the best players in the Finnish league. Led the league in goals by a wide margin and was third in the league in points.
Is he playing on the Finns team right now??

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 01:36 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky Gee View Post
It seems like every year we sign a Euro player (or someone playing in Europe) and he's supposed to become a roster player and it never happens...

Janne Lahti
Klubertanz
Enqvist
Not sure what you're saying. It's not because Habs fans in this board AUTOMATICALLY pencils a guy in their top 6 because he's being signed that it makes it a bad signing. I will believe that the only people INCLUDING THE HABS ORG., that had Lahti in their starting lineup after he was signed were a couple of fans in here....Klubertanz? Who told you he was signed to be in our top 6? If anything, it was a depth move 'cause at one point, you do need those types of players in your org., whether it's for filling a jersey....whether it's for bringing some vet presence in your farm team or whether it's to call them up if needed. But he was not pencilled as a top 6 player.

Engqvist? Well, again, nobody expected him to be a regular. He ended up playing a little this year and was fine BASED on the fact that he's young, learning the NA game, and did fine in the AHL in his 1st year. How about giving those kids some time?

Lahti was clearly underwhelming. But I beleive Klubertanz did his job while Engqvist still has the potential to be a NHL'er down the road. The end results might end up different.....but their signings were fine at that time and so is this one.

The end result though, stop thinking that because WE are so excited about a guy coming that he automatically fits in our roster, that this become the REAL reality....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 02:30 AM
duga

Wow, it seems, that the Canadiens' management were eager to sign him, and convinced him... he had various options to choose from...

He may got a better chance to make the NHL right away, than I first thought, but still, a year of AHL wouldn't hurt him, bulking up a bit.

Beside Swiss hockey, I always try to follow Russian hockey development.

IMO, and I maybe get flamed there for, but beside size, hitting force, all-around physical strenght and sheer slapshot power, there's nothing Emelin got on Diaz, and all around I'm pretty sure Diaz is significantly a better D.

That said, when considering Montreals specific need for size and physical force on D, and the history of Russians escaping back to KHL, if they don't get proper treatment, Emelin definitly would've better cards to start the next season.... if he signs.

duga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 02:57 AM
not quite yoda

Worst case scenario he plays the year in Hamilton and helps our main prospects develop. From what I am reading he should be at the very least more skilled than the average AHL D man.

Best case scenario he's given an audition on the bottom pairing and proves he' s one of our top 6 by year's end.

We can't lose. 2 way contract. Role the dice, sure why not.

not quite yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 03:29 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Guy Drouin View Post
A barely-midget in NHL defenceman terms.

WTF. He better be ****ing awesome in offence....
or what...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 06:17 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
Wow, it seems, that the Canadiens' management were eager to sign him, and convinced him... he had various options to choose from...

He may got a better chance to make the NHL right away, than I first thought, but still, a year of AHL wouldn't hurt him, bulking up a bit.

Beside Swiss hockey, I always try to follow Russian hockey development.

IMO, and I maybe get flamed there for, but beside size, hitting force, all-around physical strenght and sheer slapshot power, there's nothing Emelin got on Diaz, and all around I'm pretty sure Diaz is significantly a better D.

That said, when considering Montreals specific need for size and physical force on D, and the history of Russians escaping back to KHL, if they don't get proper treatment, Emelin definitly would've better cards to start the next season.... if he signs.
Thanks for your opinion...you've probably seen Emelin and Diaz play way more often than some of us Hab fans (incl. me!).

With all the hype and many many years Hab fans have been waiting for Emelin...I'm thinking Diaz has more chances of staying longer in the NHL (my instinct).

It would still be nice to finally see whether or not Emelin will sign soon...I'm actually fed up of waiting and I gave up on Emelin at least a year ago... Plus the expectations are way too high for Emelin (imo)...he may need 2 years to get used to the NHL and may just lose patience and go back to Russia...

Diaz: I'm hoping for something (at least) in between Weber and Streit...and after 2 years in the NHL...maybe something close to a Rafalski!! (Hartley mentioned that). I only saw one clip of Diaz and his style did remind me of Rafalski (+ they're both righties, similar size/height,similar skating style, etc). But of course I will lower my expectations... Diaz may be great for our D depth in case of injuries...and may also be good for our PP besides other elements to his game.
Weber and Carle (both righties) are probably not loving this signing?
Anyways...it's good for Habs' D depth, that's for sure.
Now we need some GRIT on D...O'Brien? Bieksa?

Diaz...welcome to Montreal!!
(best of luck).

Mr. Hab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 06:27 AM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Thanks for your opinion...you've probably seen Emelin and Diaz play way more often than some of us Hab fans (incl. me!).

With all the hype and many many years Hab fans have been waiting for Emelin...I'm thinking Diaz has more chances of staying longer in the NHL (my instinct).

It would still be nice to finally see whether or not Emelin will sign soon...I'm actually fed up of waiting and I gave up on Emelin at least a year ago... Plus the expectations are way too high for Emelin (imo)...he may need 2 years to get used to the NHL and may just lose patience and go back to Russia...

Diaz: I'm hoping for something (at least) in between Weber and Streit...and after 2 years in the NHL...maybe something close to a Rafalski!! (Hartley mentioned that). I only saw one clip of Diaz and his style did remind me of Rafalski (+ they're both righties, similar size/height,similar skating style, etc). But of course I will lower my expectations... Diaz may be great for our D depth in case of injuries...and may also be good for our PP besides other elements to his game.
Weber and Carle (both righties) are probably not loving this signing?
Anyways...it's good for Habs' D depth, that's for sure.
Now we need some GRIT on D...O'Brien? Bieksa?

Diaz...welcome to Montreal!!
(best of luck).
First,a big "Who gives a crap " about the signing of another small soft player. If you are waiting for these wimps in charge (PG etc. ) to sign Rupp,Konopka,Bieksa etc,don't hold your breath. Not going to happen. They have never operated that way. "Toughness is overrated"," our team is tough enough","the officials will protect us ".Another season of cheap shots,beatdowns,injuries(convenient excuse,eh) and a low seed and early exit. 18 years and counting of what could have been.

jlgib21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 07:31 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgib21 View Post
First,a big "Who gives a crap " about the signing of another small soft player. If you are waiting for these wimps in charge (PG etc. ) to sign Rupp,Konopka,Bieksa etc,don't hold your breath. Not going to happen. They have never operated that way. "Toughness is overrated"," our team is tough enough","the officials will protect us ".Another season of cheap shots,beatdowns,injuries(convenient excuse,eh) and a low seed and early exit. 18 years and counting of what could have been.
Good thing this depth singing was made on May 13th, a good month and a half before free agency. Jesus, reading some posts here you'd think it's the end of the world.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 07:44 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post

Don't forget, or I guess we are trying to forget...Aebisher in net too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotianhab View Post
We love the Swiss.

Weber, Diaz, Berger, Mayer signed. Streit & Aeibischer in the past.
Technically Huet is Swiss too. Took out his citizenship while in Montreal.

I think because NHL teams are overscouting the major hockey countries, the Habs are making a concentrated effort to scout the emerging countries. A few years ago we had 3 Belarussians. Now we have 4 Swiss. Wouldn't surprise me if we start including Germans, Danes & Norwegians very soon.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 08:09 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Good thing this depth singing was made on May 13th, a good month and a half before free agency. Jesus, reading some posts here you'd think it's the end of the world.
You are obviously far too rational to be posting in this forum .. lol

Really funny how big a deal people make out of a one year two way contract in mid May.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 08:25 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Darkest Day in Canadiens History, apparently

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 08:35 AM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
On the other hand you are saying that this steers us in the direction of contendership. Just going by past history.keep your head in the sand if you wish,as this organization continues to find and sign the next Halpern,Darsche, ,Dawes,Boyd,Picard,MAB,Metropolit,Sopel,,Auld. Players that other teams won't even sign at the minimum. 18 yrs and counting of "wait til next year". This team goes nowhere with this ownership/management.

jlgib21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 09:08 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
On the other hand you are saying that this steers us in the direction of contendership. Just going by past history.keep your head in the sand if you wish,as this organization continues to find and sign the next Halpern,Darsche, ,Dawes,Boyd,Picard,MAB,Metropolit,Sopel,,Auld. Players that other teams won't even sign at the minimum. 18 yrs and counting of "wait til next year". This team goes nowhere with this ownership/management.
Somebody forgot their meds today...top shelf, medicine cabinet...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 09:16 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Yeah we really got a "beatdown" by the "big bad Bruins"

Their line of smurfs did all the damage(Bergeron Marchant and Recchi) and they needed 3 OTs in 7 games to beat our depleted lineup.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote