HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs sign Raphael Diaz (May 2011)

Old
05-14-2011, 10:33 AM
Craig71

vCash: 500
A diamond in the rough is what all teams are after, in this era of stats and youtube and every player in the world being scouted to death. It is a rare occasion that someone slips under the radar and becomes a solid nhl player. The habs did with Mark Streit(bonehead move to let him walk away as a ufa by the way) and are hoping to do it again with this Diaz kid. It is clear that with this signing that the Habs are looking to spend less on D to fill holes. It must mean that Markov and Wiz will be signed to big money deals, Hamrlik will be gone and Spacek will be gone. The Habs will go forward with Markov, Subban,Gorges,Wiz,Gill, Weber (either Diaz or Emelin as a 7th D) Gauthier said that the Habs will not be paying so many D men next year and this is the way they will do it. I forgot Sopel, so will the Habs, decent player but slow and we already have Gill in the slow department. I love Hal Gill in the role he has and he must come back, he would have been my pick for team captain, nothing fancy but along with Gorges make up one of the best pk duos in the NHL.

Craig71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 11:23 AM
Protest the Hero

A lot of good all that toughness on the Flyers did against the Bruins.

More defensive depth is always a good thing, especially if that person is the best player of his position in a good league.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 11:46 AM
JHabs61

I think/hope he will be a good player . My only concern is he was signed on Friday the
13th

JHabs61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 11:52 AM
Picaroon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgib21 View Post
On the other hand you are saying that this steers us in the direction of contendership. Just going by past history.keep your head in the sand if you wish,as this organization continues to find and sign the next Halpern,Darsche, ,Dawes,Boyd,Picard,MAB,Metropolit,Sopel,,Auld. Players that other teams won't even sign at the minimum. 18 yrs and counting of "wait til next year". This team goes nowhere with this ownership/management.
If you think everything about this team from the management down is so horrid, why don't you cheer for someone else?

Picaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 12:00 PM
Mattia Mei

Min 1.18.

http://youtu.be/UfMtVg3HIig

Godo.

Mattia Mei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 12:03 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsonhab View Post
If you think everything about this team from the management down is so horrid, why don't you cheer for someone else?
Maybe because he's a fan and not a cheerleader.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Et le But

Seriously, you'd think we were the worst run team in the league the way some fans talk. The Habs have been great at finding hidden gems.

Quote:
First,a big "Who gives a crap " about the signing of another small soft player. If you are waiting for these wimps in charge (PG etc. ) to sign Rupp,Konopka,Bieksa etc,don't hold your breath. Not going to happen. They have never operated that way. "Toughness is overrated"," our team is tough enough","the officials will protect us ".Another season of cheap shots,beatdowns,injuries(convenient excuse,eh) and a low seed and early exit. 18 years and counting of what could have been.
You do remember that the Bruins "tough" players like Lucic and Chara were basically terrible against us, right?

Et le But is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 12:28 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
On the other hand you are saying that this steers us in the direction of contendership. Just going by past history.keep your head in the sand if you wish,as this organization continues to find and sign the next Halpern,Darsche, ,Dawes,Boyd,Picard,MAB,Metropolit,Sopel,,Auld. Players that other teams won't even sign at the minimum. 18 yrs and counting of "wait til next year". This team goes nowhere with this ownership/management.
I never said that... Singing a depth defenseman doesn't prevent you from building a great team. You need depth to overcome injuries and support your top guys. However if our best players keep getting injured the role players are forced into roles they're not suited and then the team sucks. Fun, isn't?

I'm either too rational or some posters are too irrational.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 12:53 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
I never said that... Singing a depth defenseman doesn't prevent you from building a great team. You need depth to overcome injuries and support your top guys. However if our best players keep getting injured the role players are forced into roles they're not suited and then the team sucks. Fun, isn't?

I'm either too rational or some posters are too irrational.
Column A and Column B

I just can't understand what posters actually believe the Montreal Canadiens can do to get more potential stars? I guess some believe we should tank and draft 1st overall, but who's to say that will work. Take examples of teams who draft high often and have yet to win themselves. (Florida, Atlanta, Columbus...) Sure some teams have found success, but their is no formula to win the cup.

Habs management have done what they can to put a solid team on the ice, if we had everyone healthy this year, who knows what could of happened (still could of been oust in the first round, maybe not, we will never know).

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 01:29 PM
ChoseLa

Signing Rafael Diaz has nothing to do with being small and soft. He was a possible NHLer available without giving up a draft pick, you go for those types of deal. Now they signed another Swiss earlier his name is Alain Berger, he's a huge gritty player who enjoys fighting, they did so without giving any draft pick and at league minimum, just like Diaz.

What would you want them to do? Don't even try to get Diaz because they need big guys? It's free, it's a possible homerun, you take it. It doesn't prevent us from acquiring another big guy later on, it as no corelation.

ChoseLa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 01:37 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
I guess some believe we should tank and draft 1st overall, but who's to say that will work.
The only way we can tank is by trading Price and PK. Otherwise it would be virtually impossible for us to tank.

If you thought there was riots when the Rocket was suspended, you haven't seen nothing yet if the Habs traded Price and Subban.

Even if we traded Gionta, Cammy, AK, Markov, Gorges, we'd still be competitive enough with whoever we replaced them with if we had Price and Subban. We'd still be a 9-12ish team with Price and little support.

Fans dreaming of tanking don't realize how much you have to give up to tank.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Because the habs is his team. He doesn't turn his back on the habs because they suck and the management are idiots.

I guess that makes him a better fan than you who would bail if you didn't like the management ? And that was sarcasm. I'm not judging you, you shouldn't judge how much of a fan other people are either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Fans dreaming of tanking don't realize how much you have to give up to tank.
Tanking is the not the word I'd use. Rebuilding.

But a complete rebuild is impossible anyway. Those who wanted the team to rebuild know that we can't anymore. The time to rebuild for 1-2-3 years was back when Gainey went crazy in the summer of 09.

Now we're saddled with a bunch of long term deals and as you said we have Price and Subban so "tanking" is not an option anymore.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Bieber fever

he needs a nickname

The rafael ?
Cameron ?

Bieber fever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 03:43 PM
shamrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce514 View Post
he needs a nickname

The rafael ?
Cameron ?

dizzy

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 04:04 PM
Picaroon

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Because the habs is his team. He doesn't turn his back on the habs because they suck and the management are idiots.

I guess that makes him a better fan than you who would bail if you didn't like the management ? And that was sarcasm. I'm not judging you, you shouldn't judge how much of a fan other people are either.

hahaha. What? Didn't know my post was cause so much rage.
I would NEVER! Turn my back on the Habs
I just see this guy constantly bashing the team in every post. He just looks for things to hate about the team. It's stupid.
Sure, there are things about Montreal that suck, but there are just as many good things too. Just depends on how you want to look at it. I'm a glass half full kind of guy.

Old
05-14-2011, 04:07 PM
Subban76

With the Swiss developing more and more good players, they could be a a good pipeline in a few years. With the Habs having all those Swiss in their system hopefully it will make us more attractive to come here for Swiss players. Seems to have already payed off.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 04:08 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
I just see this guy constantly bashing the team in every post. He just looks for things to hate about the team. It's stupid.
Sure, there are things about Montreal that suck, but there are just as many good things too. Just depends on how you want to look at it. I'm a glass half full kind of guy.
It's true, he's the 2011 OneSharpMarble.

It's one thing to have constructive critisism it's another to dedicate every single post made to putting down the team that he apparently loves.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 04:15 PM
Picaroon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
It's true, he's the 2011 OneSharpMarble.

It's one thing to have constructive critisism it's another to dedicate every single post made to putting down the team that he apparently loves.
That's the key.

Old
05-14-2011, 06:00 PM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Just because I hate our (IMO and many others) inept management and the philosophy they bring,in no way means i don't like the majority of our players. I'm as happy or more than anyone when we win,and pissed off as much when we lose. Tampa adds Brewer for a 3rd,we add Sopel,and I'm suppose to be happy about it and not express my opinion ? B's add Horton and Campbell,and we're not creative enough to trump their offer. Sharks get Eager for a 5th. All players we could desperately use.Aren't you sick of being underdogs every year? We have PK and Price,maybe Pacs,and other than tht our young players are prospects. "Eller is going to be great ". No one knows,and people like you have the nerve to say he's better than Carter or Horton. C'mon.Weber is another Streit? Why bc he's Swiss? I call it like I see it,and a 1st rd exit doesn't make a good season for me.

jlgib21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 06:16 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Just because I hate our (IMO and many others) inept management and the philosophy they bring,in no way means i don't like the majority of our players. I'm as happy or more than anyone when we win,and pissed off as much when we lose. Tampa adds Brewer for a 3rd,we add Sopel,and I'm suppose to be happy about it and not express my opinion ? B's add Horton and Campbell,and we're not creative enough to trump their offer. Sharks get Eager for a 5th. All players we could desperately use.Aren't you sick of being underdogs every year? We have PK and Price,maybe Pacs,and other than tht our young players are prospects. "Eller is going to be great ". No one knows,and people like you have the nerve to say he's better than Carter or Horton. C'mon.Weber is another Streit? Why bc he's Swiss? I call it like I see it,and a 1st rd exit doesn't make a good season for me.
The Habs not trading for Horton comes down to not having the flexibility of having a #2 overall pick in their system, but you don't realise that do you? Who do we trade to get Horton? Our first and? We didn't have a puck moving D like Wideman in our system to entice the Panthers like that. Wideman was widely considered as a solid #2-3 defenseman with good offensive output and he was in his prime. Our only comparable was Markov, no way in hell anyone would trade Markov for Horton, injury history or not..

I want to hear your constructive critisism, I want your counter-offer to the Boston offer.

Old
05-14-2011, 06:20 PM
jlgib21*

Quote:
The Habs not trading for Horton comes down to not having the flexibility of having a #2 overall pick in their system, but you don't realise that do you? Who do we trade to get Horton? Our first and? We didn't have a puck moving D like Wideman in our system to entice the Panthers like that. Wideman was widely considered as a solid #2-3 defenseman with good offensive output and he was in his prime. Our only comparable was Markov, no way in hell anyone would trade Markov for Horton, injury history or not..

I want to hear your constructive critisism, I want your counter-offer to the Boston offer.
Wideman was Boston's Spacek. Their whipping boy.They couldn't believe they could even give him away. Florida took him to get the cap floor,not bc of puck-moving skills.They moved him at the deadline asap.Gorges and our 1st,maybe another mid rder,maybe O'byrne in there. We had plenty to trump their offer. I'd take Gorges over Wideman as would most other GM's. You sound like a pr guy for Molson and co.

Old
05-14-2011, 06:25 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Wideman was Boston's Spacek. Their whipping boy.They couldn't believe they could even give him away. Gorges and our 1st,maybe another mid rder,maybe O'byrne in there. We had plaenty to trump their offer. I'd take Gorges over Wideman as would most other GM's. You sound like a pr guy for Molson and co.

Spacek comparable to Wideman? Not in the past 3-4 years. Both of their defensive games are weak but atleast Wideman still produces offensively. Only thing remotely comparable is their salary.

Trading away one of your youngest and most stable defenseman for Horton would have been very risky, especially given we we're already starting the season without Markov. No way of knowing if Florida was even looking for a stay-at-home D at the time either. How about salary cap, how do you absorb the increase between Horton & Gorges salary? Who is let go of? Another defenseman?

Old
05-14-2011, 06:30 PM
jlgib21*

Quote:

Spacek comparable to Wideman? Not in the past 3-4 years. Both of their defensive games are weak but atleast Wideman still produces offensively. Only thing remotely comparable is their salary.

Trading away one of your youngest and most stable defenseman for Horton would have been very risky, especially given we we're already starting the season without Markov. You sound like Peter Chiarelli's personal assistant.
No, not comparable in ability,but comparable to being the player the fans want to get rid of(other than Gomez of course). B's fans wanted Wideman gone like we want Spacek out. You asked me who i would offer for Horton,and I gave you a bunch of potential packages.Of course there's risk to acquire a player like horton. i'm just sayingwe had the pieces to do it.

Old
05-14-2011, 06:33 PM
Nidema

Quote:
No, not comparable in ability,but comparable to being the player the fans want to get rid of(other than Gomez of course). B's fans wanted Wideman gone like we want Spacek out. You asked me who i would offer for Horton,and I gave you a bunch of potential packages.Of course there's risk to acquire a player like horton. i'm just sayingwe had the pieces to do it.
Except contrary to belief, trade value of a specific player is not solely dictated by how badly fans want them out of town.

Nidema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 06:36 PM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidema View Post
Except contrary to belief, trade value of a specific player is not solely dictated by how badly fans want them out of town.
WTH is that suppose to mean? .If you want to interject in our debate,at least follow along