HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Do you like the Jim Rome Show?

View Poll Results: Do you like the Jim Rome Show?
Yes 18 32.73%
No 37 67.27%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-13-2011, 09:10 AM
Stylizer1
Undertaker for Stars

vCash: 50
Do you like the Jim Rome Show?

When they first started airing his show I found it interesting to listen to. Then I got into the habit of just putting it on at noon and using it as back ground noise. Now I don't listen to him at all. Though he does have great interviews and has some pretty funny moments I just find his show kind of boring. The Kevin A. Smith show that they air online during the Rome show is better to listen to imo.

Is it time to find a different show to fill that slot?

Stylizer1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 09:26 AM
Iamnameless

vCash: 500
I've never liked it and never will. I don't want to hear idiots making fun of each other or him spouting ads for product X.
Would be more tolerable if there was more interviews and actually talking sports and less fluff and gigantic pauses for no reason.

If I'm listening to the radio in that timeslot, I've usually got the Team990 from Montreal tuned in.

Iamnameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 09:30 AM
mianjo

No I Dont

mianjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 09:42 AM
Spex

I like the show because it breaks up the monotony of the local shows and we get to hear intelligent talk about other sports via a well informed host and interviews with guys we would never get here.

When was the last time we heard a interview from someone not connected with either Jim Jerome or Jason York? Without those two, we would never get a quality interview. Heck, even Melnyk and Murray make it a point to talk to the Toronto media before speaking with the TEAM1200. It speaks volumes about the station when they can't even land someone from the local team. Also, when was the last time the TEAM1200 broke a story?

Sure, the callers and the emailers might be childish at times, but that's no different that what we get here with the local guys.

Spex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 09:46 AM
coladin

vCash: 1413
The show has its moments...I have it on in the background too. What I do is listen to the fan590 between 12-1 for hockeycentral and team 990 after or change between the two of them.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 09:55 AM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

No. I find Jim Rome annoying as hell. And I don't follow football or baseball enough to care about the interviews.

L'Aveuglette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 10:03 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spex View Post
I like the show because it breaks up the monotony of the local shows and we get to hear intelligent talk about other sports via a well informed host and interviews with guys we would never get here.

When was the last time we heard a interview from someone not connected with either Jim Jerome or Jason York? Without those two, we would never get a quality interview. Heck, even Melnyk and Murray make it a point to talk to the Toronto media before speaking with the TEAM1200. It speaks volumes about the station when they can't even land someone from the local team. Also, when was the last time the TEAM1200 broke a story?

Sure, the callers and the emailers might be childish at times, but that's no different that what we get here with the local guys.
What is important to keep in mind is the team 1200 is owned by bell i think some times people are to hard on the team 1200 some times for issue they have no control over.As for they speak to toronto media before ottawa media some times but stations such as tsn and sports net are really not toronto media but national media.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 10:03 AM
obsenssive*

Send a message via MSN to obsenssive*
hell no. more annoying than entertaining.

obsenssive* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Wiercioch2Karlsson

Rome is hilarious and actually very intelligent.

Wiercioch2Karlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 11:11 AM
Nabokov20
Karlsson for Chuck

vCash: 1706
I like him..just not JRIB.

Nabokov20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 11:21 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

hey, it's better than the jim jerome show.

05-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Rooverick*

His...... show......sucks.......donkey.......balls.

His...... show......sucks.......donkey.......balls.

And......he........repeats.......the same .......thing.......ad.....nauseum....

Get this arrogant dick of Team 1200

Rooverick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 01:18 PM
Philybrook

I wanted to make a thread about this. I think his radio show sucks. I like to hear about different sports but he is just boring and annoying.

Philybrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Spex

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
What is important to keep in mind is the team 1200 is owned by bell i think some times people are to hard on the team 1200 some times for issue they have no control over.
What issues are you talking about? As far as I know, ownership doesn't decide who they can or can not interview

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
As for they speak to toronto media before ottawa media some times but stations such as tsn and sports net are really not toronto media but national media.
Sorry, by Toronto media I meant the FAN 590

Spex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 05:03 PM
CauseHesMyButler*

I've never seen it. Do you mean according to Jim?

CauseHesMyButler* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 05:13 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
I love Romie. He's hilarious and has alot of awesome guests.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 05:50 PM
Yost

What I've found is that a majority of the people who don't like his show don't understand it. Yeah, it's a talk radio show with a sports focus, but a large majority of the material is literally incomprehensible if you haven't listened for a long time.

I've listened to his show for years and find myself laughing/enjoying a large majority of his work. He's even gone out of his way recently to give the NHL some love and airtime, a move that's an essential death sentence for national syndications in the United States.

His show is definitely one of those love/hate types, but you truly do have to give him 2-3 weeks at the minimum before passing judgment.

Yost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 05:54 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

no, find him annoying

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 05:57 PM
otown

Can't stand the Rome show. Scripted calls from the"clones" just add to the mess.
Only good thing is the odd hockey exposure to US markets as mentioned.

otown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 06:04 PM
Stylizer1
Undertaker for Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yost View Post
What I've found is that a majority of the people who don't like his show don't understand it. Yeah, it's a talk radio show with a sports focus, but a large majority of the material is literally incomprehensible if you haven't listened for a long time.

I've listened to his show for years and find myself laughing/enjoying a large majority of his work. He's even gone out of his way recently to give the NHL some love and airtime, a move that's an essential death sentence for national syndications in the United States.

His show is definitely one of those love/hate types, but you truly do have to give him 2-3 weeks at the minimum before passing judgment.
I used to say the same thing until I just got bored of it. I prefer listening to CFRA from 12-3.

Stylizer1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 06:21 PM
Alpostrophe
Cynic In Residence

Goat voiced blowhard whines for three hours a day. Next.

Alpostrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 06:29 PM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yost View Post

You are repeating what Rome says on his show all of the time - obviously he has you buying into it, and lots of others as he has a large following,

I used to listen to it when I was on the road in the afternoons, but in recent years I only hear him on occasion. I find he's become more juvenile with time - in the past year or two whenever I listened after not hearing it for a couple of years I found his show was inundated with childish sound effects. Howard Dean's "Yeah" was kinda funny the first thousand times when I heard it 5 years ago but enough already! Between the pregnant pauses, repetitiveness, sound effects and commercials there's not a lot of meat. When he was first on it was four hours and a lot less fluff - I feel it's deteriorated over the past decade.

He pats himself on the back when he talks about hockey by the second hour of his show starting...In the meantime we were blessed with ten meantimes of dead air as he looks at his notes, 15 minutes of commercials, 10 minutes of predominantly annoying phone calls from clones, at least 20 minutes talking about the Lakers. and ten minutes of sound effects. Just the other day he said, and I'm paraphrasing ..."going to talk hockey, the least popular of the major sports, as it should be."

When he tries to justify his lack of hockey coverage he's always proudly claiming he's the only American sports guy that ever talks hockey. He never mentions that he's syndicated in Canada unlike other American sports broadcasters...he thinks the 5 minutes of hockey coverage he normally gives, and usually to speak about a negative story, is more than enough.

A relatively sharp guy, good interviewer who prepares well, witty at times when it's not scripted...he should play more to his strengths.

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 06:50 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
I like the highlights of the Jim Rome Show. For example, I don't really like to listen to it for 3 hours straight everyday at noon, but I love some of the highlights that have been uploaded to youtube. Brendan in Wilmington, Rome's take on "Softball Guy", Canada vs US, Mike Forbis...those are all classics.

MainDotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 07:21 PM
trobby

Rome is a different kind of bird.

You either love him, or hate him.

I enjoy hearing the man speak.

trobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 08:33 PM
Droc
Classless

The dead air show.
Its when he reads an email of someone who has a different point.
"no way bro"
pause
pause
"not a chance bro"
pause
pause pause
"Romie says no way bro"
pause pause pause
[repeat for 5min]

Droc is offline   Reply With Quote