HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Gold Medal Pre-Game Talk: Sweden vs. Finland

View Poll Results: Who wins?
Sweden 103 44.78%
Finland 127 55.22%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2011, 08:27 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
This is actually the gold medal match-up I was hoping for, when the semi match-ups were announced. This is going to be awesome.

Old
05-13-2011, 08:31 PM
QnebO

vCash: 500
Btw our great one has done it before:

This one from U18 world juniors, also against russia

The new one was even better, stole the puck, outplay the defender, then lacrosse it into the net in semifinal game like that...

Old
05-13-2011, 08:35 PM
IceBjoern

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
Btw our great one has done it before:

This one from U18 world juniors, also against russia

The new one was even better, stole the puck, outplay the defender, then lacrosse it into the net in semifinal game like that...
Nevermind Granlund in that clip. Who distributed that awesome hip check at the end?

Last edited by IceBjoern: 05-13-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old
05-13-2011, 08:42 PM
Nakawick

Quote:
Originally Posted by timanGi View Post
Definitely Finland. Hockey is a bigger sport in Finland than it is in Sweden and last time we had something to celebrate was over fifteen years ago.
So the country will shut down for the game and probably Monday if you win? Will there be large celebrations in the streets?

What about Sweden, will there be celebrations for a win? Is hockey well behind football in popularity?

Old
05-13-2011, 08:44 PM
FinRuutu
Red Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakawick View Post
So the country will shut down for the game and probably Monday if you win? Will there be large celebrations in the streets?

What about Sweden, will there be celebrations for a win? Is hockey well behind football in popularity?

Old
05-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Nordic Pride

Quote:

The results from a recent survey:

"What sport do you like the most?"

Soccer - 30%
Hockey - 28%
Cross Country Skiing - 8%
Athletics - 5 %
Biathlon - 4 %
Motorsports - 4 %

----

This was however made during early winter so the results might differ from time to time.

And of course, it's not like you only follow one sport
----------

Last edited by Nordic Pride: 05-13-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old
05-13-2011, 09:15 PM
Rob

I was wrong about Finland yesterday. Hope I am wrong about them tomorrow.

Old
05-13-2011, 11:43 PM
Crazyhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinRuutu View Post
We can celebrate in Sweden aswell. 98 was the best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqS4HL3UDEA

Anyway, this will be great. As i mentioned in another thread, i could be happy for both teams - but of course would i more then anything wish to see Sweden win the ninth WHC-gold. The game should be epic.

Old
05-14-2011, 12:01 AM
Merya
Finland u20 Champion

My heart will break if we lose yet another final to the Swedes.
FInland will lead 2-0 coming into third perido and then swedes will get 3 goals, two of them with no goalie on net. *cries*

Old
05-14-2011, 12:46 AM
Mestaruus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipel View Post
edit: He's better than most finnish NHL goalies like Niemi, Niittymäki, Rask for example
Not true. Rinne is our best goalie and Niemi is second best atm. Vehanen is ahead of Rask but poor Rask couldn't really defend himself in this due to Thomas being on fire all the time. After Niemi it's either Bäckström or Kipper. Niittymäki i'd rank at the level with Vehanen and Rask. Then comes maybe Rämö. I forgot to say Lehtonen, he's at Kipper/Bäckström level.

Selanne must be pissed for not coming now. He wants to win big titles like this badly and finish his career on high note, but he'll come next year to Finland's home tournament if Anaheim is out. No doubts in my mind that he will continue his career for 1-2 more years.

Old
05-14-2011, 01:53 AM
Raimo Sillanpää

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mestaruus View Post
Not true. Rinne is our best goalie and Niemi is second best atm. Vehanen is ahead of Rask but poor Rask couldn't really defend himself in this due to Thomas being on fire all the time. After Niemi it's either Bäckström or Kipper. Niittymäki i'd rank at the level with Vehanen and Rask. Then comes maybe Rämö. I forgot to say Lehtonen, he's at Kipper/Bäckström level.
Did you look at Rasks number this season? Really look? He was on fire.

Backström, Kiprusoff, Lehtonen, Niemi, Rinne, Rask - really difficult to seperate them on stats when you take all factors into consideration (Tuukka stuck behind Thomas, Niemis craptacular start to the season etc.)

It's impossible really to say who is best. For a season I'd take Kiprusoff, for a one off game I'd take Rask or Lehtonen.
Both of them have an uncanny ability to turn into a wall.

Old
05-14-2011, 02:03 AM
samuraifailure

Ten times in the finals (World Cup, WC, Olympics), one gold. We must be the biggest underachiever in the history of everything.

Let's just do it, and be the defending champions at home ice next year. Would be awesome.

Old
05-14-2011, 02:29 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
Finland should win on Sunday. Sweden<Norway<Finland and Sweden<Canada<Russia<Finland (twice!). It's just logic .

This thread needed this.

Old
05-14-2011, 02:52 AM
Tomas W

Quote:

Hockey is about as popular as football (soccer) in Sweden, at an overall/club level but there is more interest in the national team in football than what it is in hockey. I think people sense that there are more prestige in winning a bronse medal in a football champs than what it is winning gold in a hockey world championship.

On the other hand people know that the possibility for a Swedish gold is much higher than real success in football, so international hockey is still getting high TV-ratings, even if people would not freak out completely if Sweden would win.

Last edited by Tomas W: 05-14-2011 at 03:09 AM.
Old
05-14-2011, 03:08 AM
Peter The Great

I really like and respect Finnish hockey and sisu but we would probably win this game even with our WJC team. Sweden is superior right now, our new generation of players look good, it will be a good game.

Old
05-14-2011, 03:16 AM
llwyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21 View Post
I really like and respect Finnish hockey and sisu but we would probably win this game even with our WJC team. Sweden is superior right now, our new generation of players look good, it will be a good game.
Well, Sweden is the clear favourite in my opinion, but this is a best of one game, and Finland has been an awesome, gritty fighting team in this tournament with certain touches of unpredictable genius (read Granlund). So, it's far from a done deal - though... it is a final of course and there's that law that says that Finland must freeze in the final match...

But maybe, just maybe we will break it this time? I mean we must, eventually, purely statistically, mustn't we?

Old
05-14-2011, 03:20 AM
Lapa
Global Moderator
miek yoe pls

Quote:
Sure you would.

Old
05-14-2011, 03:25 AM
Frank Bascombe

Quote:
LOL, what the hell?
Stop. Just stop.

Old
05-14-2011, 03:27 AM
Tomas W

Finland is totaly to be respected, they have made it to the final, they wouldn't have if the were talentless.

Old
05-14-2011, 03:29 AM
Peter The Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapa View Post
Not sure if serious
If you saw Sweden play during this years WJC you know I'm serious. The loss vs the Russians was one of the most unfair and painful losses ever, we had a great team. We had the same coach too, Mårths. Landeskog would have to play though ;-) our future captain and power forward (injured during most of WJC).

Peace ;-)

Old
05-14-2011, 03:32 AM
RorschachWJK

Here's hoping for a good and exciting game tomorrow!

Kippis & Skål!

Old
05-14-2011, 03:42 AM
Fregus
Modo Hockey

Both teams are worthy winners of this tournament and I would actually be OK with a loss to Finland tomorrow.

But of course, nothing beats kicking some finnish ass!

Heja Sverige!

Old
05-14-2011, 03:52 AM
dabolte

A gold medal would mean a world to Finland. Like somebody said in his earlier post, WC is almost like a religious happening in Finland.
One could argue that winning gold in hockey WC would mean more than winning world championship in soccer, though the latter is utopia. Heck, winning gold in hockey WC could mean more than Olympic Gold for normal citizen, as crazy as it sounds.

I really hope from the bottom of my heart that Finland takes this one, I don't know how many disappointments more we can take in the Finals. Finland really need this one.

If you look at this document http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkPGN...eature=related , you can see how crazy the nation went about the last gold medal. Just skip a few minutes and see the people on the streets.
GO FINLAND!

Old
05-14-2011, 04:08 AM
Brun0

Granlund is the new Crosby.

Old
05-14-2011, 04:14 AM
Panopticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentothal View Post
I prefer this one

That's my worst hockey memory ever. Although the Turin final loss probably hurt a bit more in the end, this game was just so unbelievably painful to watch... I couldn't believe what I was seeing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
Hey! Oulu dialect isn't hillbilly, damn you!
All the "lande" dialects sound like hillbilly dialects to us who don't speak them.

Last edited by Panopticon: 05-14-2011 at 04:25 AM.
Closed Thread