HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

How big a heist would this have been

Old
05-13-2011, 11:02 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Amazing how opinions of a player rightfully change over a few short years.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 11:05 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
I remember people suggesting that Toskala for Col's 1st round pick in '09 was a fair trade.

Hindsight = 20/20

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 03:08 AM
Scorcho
Zubrus for Captain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsFan7545 View Post
Parise, and Datsyuk

Omg Why couldnt this happen
it happened in my nhl 11 be a gm

Scorcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 05:46 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Ryder View Post
Datsyuk hadn't established himself the way he has now. Until 2006-07 he sucked in the playoffs. You guys can blow me, back then I made that claim and if I'd go back in time I'd make it again.
This is why you don't judge players on a handful of playoff series.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 11:46 AM
tailfins

the other thing about this proposal to me is it was made at a time when the Wings and Devils were the class of the NHL. The Wings still are, but the Devils have now fallen back to the pack. What's happened?

Lidstrom stayed. Niedermayer didn't.
Dastyuk stayed. Gomez didn't (and he then sucked).
Kronwall stayed. Martin didn't.
Rafalski switched sides

Zetterberg = Elias
Franzen = Parise

plus a whole host of other stuff, obviously. But, the ability for the Wings to keep and groom players has clearly been superior. It's forced the Devils to gamble on Kovalchuk and try to rebuild their team on the fly.

Looking at this, somehow it seems like the Devils have lost the ability to get people to sacrifice (pay, role, free-time) for the goal of winning. Maybe there's something too that idea that the Devils have never replaced Stevens as captain.

tailfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 11:49 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
the other thing about this proposal to me is it was made at a time when the Wings and Devils were the class of the NHL. The Wings still are, but the Devils have now fallen back to the pack. What's happened?

Rafalski switched sides

Zetterberg = Elias
Franzen = Parise

plus a whole host of other stuff, obviously. But, the ability for the Wings to keep and groom players has clearly been superior. It's forced the Devils to gamble on Kovalchuk and try to rebuild their team on the fly.

Looking at this, somehow it seems like the Devils have lost the ability to get people to sacrifice (pay, role, free-time) for the goal of winning. Maybe there's something too that idea that the Devils have never replaced Stevens as captain.
Quoting just to thank for this comment.

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 11:53 AM
JimEIV

Quote:

Rafalski switched sides

Zetterberg = Elias
Franzen = Parise

Holy smokes that is a great observation.....

But I take serious umbrage with Frazen = Parise

JimEIV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 11:59 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
That's very true. We were victims of player attrition. The Wings got their guys to stay in order to keep their team at the top.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Yeah, that's a good point. But at the same time, I don't believe the Devils had draconian rules in place that drove people away.

If Lidstrom had a brother, maybe he leaves.

Gomez was always a goner because of the draconian rules.

If Lidstrom left, maybe Kronwall leaves. Kronwall probably stayed because of Lidstrom. Gotta imagine he's got tremendous respect for him.

And if all those guys are gone, maybe Rafalski doesn't go to Detroit in the first place.

Sometimes, Lou shoots himself in the foot. This team could use a few characters, and maybe they have some and we just don't get to enjoy them because of the Men in Black type attitude. It is what it is.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 12:45 PM
EliasR8
Brendan Shanahan!

vCash: 1050
Quote:

Rafalski switched sides

Zetterberg = Elias
Franzen = Parise

The Devils also have never won a cup without a person named Scott on the team.

Wedgewood is our savior!

EliasR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 01:00 PM
tailfins

I don't think it was Lou (necessarily) or the rules of the team. There's definitely something to the fact that we started to lose people with the new free agency rules post-lockout. But, I also think that the team lost a sense of loyalty to one another.

Niedermayer left to play with his brother, but also because he felt he accomplished everything he could in NJ. But, he never was the guy to lead the team to a Cup. He had the chance to do that, but didn't see it as a worthwhile challenge. Why not?

Gomer clearly didn't want to be the leader that Datsyuk has become. He preferred to go somewhere that had leadership (Jagr) and tradition (granted, a losing one, but still) built in. Who was around to stop him?

Lou apparently made Martin a similar offer to what he signed for. But, Martin was already focused on signing elsewhere. Why was it better to go for a shot at a Cup with a different bunch of guys?

One issue with the revolving door at head coach is that it's really been up to the players to police the room / develop loyalty to one another year after year. But, with free agency and the lockout / more players seeing that this is a business, it's hard for players by themselves to create the sense of team. Lou has used a college philosophy when running the team - that players naturally graduate, that new players step in, etc. But, replacing top end guys is not as simple at the NHL level. And - perhaps more importantly - the sense of sacrifice for the organization isn't built in the way it is for a college.

I don't know if it's stability at the head coach spot (where Detroit did go through Lewis before landing Babcock), or having a established player leadership / succession (where the torch was passed from lifelong Red Wing Yzerman and Lidstrom to lifelong Red Wings Datsyuk and Zetterberg), but there's something more than just circumstance that's changed between Detroit and NJ.

Old
05-14-2011, 01:11 PM
tailfins

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
But I take serious umbrage with Frazen = Parise
Agree. Parise is younger and I think better. But it's not like Cleary = Parise. Franzen adds some things that Parise doesn't have, and he's clearly one of the leaders on the Red Wings.

Old
05-14-2011, 01:49 PM
CerebralGenesis

Reputation has probably allowed the red wings players to stay at a discount and not force the GMs hand. If we had kept the players you listed, then lou wouldn't need to force signings and trades except to bolster other areas.

A world of ifs, c'est la vie

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote