HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Derek Boogaard • 1982 - 2011

Old
05-20-2011, 10:26 PM
beastly115

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
It wasn't worded that way. OD implies taking too much - it might just have been the matter of mixing the two, which wouldn't be an "OD".
Mixing alcohol + oxy causes sedation. He probably took too many oxy which caused the kind of sedation you don't wake up from...

Sucks.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 11:06 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Heres another article, which I didnt see posted here yet:
http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2011...-overdose.html

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 02:12 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovazub94 View Post
Because it was implied and became a ground for speculations
I didn't think it was implied. In fact, I remember Brooks specifically asking people not to draw conclusions.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 02:53 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
In the wake of someone's tragic death, it's pretty pathetic that you feel the need to play gotcha.

Par for the course with you.
Funny, I thought it was pretty pathetic that in the wake of someone's tragic death, people felt the need to posit theories regarding Brooks that were completely off-base; insulting a man for doing his job. I'm not shocked that you don't understand why it's important to generate a discussion on comments that are baseless. If it was up to you, every thread here would be filled with similar remarks in every post.

Why should anyone stand up for Larry Brooks? If some attack him, all must attack him!

Take a second to think, and you might see that it's not about "playing gotcha," but rather, about pointing out the fact that a person's reputation and character were under attack for no reason. Perhaps reminding people that, of course, Brooks was right all along, it might spur them to re-think such empty efforts in the future.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 05:54 AM
SirKillalot

vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKillalot View Post
So, is there a chance that Boogaard did the same thing as Heath Ledger. Accidentally mixed something he shouldn't have?
Well. So that was the case.

Really don't understand how so many people haven't learned this yet. Mixing medication with alcohol or some other drugs has proven time after time, that it is highly dangerous.

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 08:12 AM
DrAStuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKillalot View Post
Well. So that was the case.

Really don't understand how so many people haven't learned this yet. Mixing medication with alcohol or some other drugs has proven time after time, that it is highly dangerous.
You have to understand that, according to his family's statement (http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=563372), Boogaard had apparently battled addiction for some time -- both with the Wild and while in NYC.
It is easy to say "why don't people learn not to mix booze and pills", but for someone caught up in an addiction, it is never that easy or that simple.

DrAStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 08:34 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Because it was implied and became a ground for speculations
It was not implied. It was flat out stated. I believe the quote was "The post has LEARNED". That's not speculation. That's reporting information.

His column actually counteracted a lot of the speculation that was going on. It put to bed the initial thinking that Boogaard may have died as a direct result of the concussion.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 01:46 PM
NYI94wasaFLUKE9

This still sucks that hockey lost one of the dominant enforcers in the game today. It sucks that I was right in my prediction earlier in this thread. It just didn't seem right to have died from a heart attack. Pills had to have ben a factor and I was correct. RIP Derek, hopefully people will learn from your death.

NYI94wasaFLUKE9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 02:32 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Well, I've never known anyone addicted to painkillers that didn't also drink alcohol while on said pills. And I've never known anyone in that position that wasn't acutely aware of the potential risks associated with abuse. It's just too easy to overdo it, and the line between being just "really intoxicated" and fatal intoxication is so fine, in terms of the abuser's awareness.

It's an awful addiction, it really is.

Old
05-21-2011, 02:34 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Well, I've never known anyone addicted to painkillers that didn't also drink alcohol while on said pills. And I've never known anyone in that position that wasn't acutely aware of the potential risks associated with abuse. It's just too easy to overdo it, and the line between being just "really intoxicated" and fatal intoxication is so fine, in terms of the abuser's awareness.

It's an awful addiction, it really is.
This is true, and i've had very close family who had to deal with it personally so I know it all too well.

Still, you have to wonder why they drink. The previously mentioned family member was shook when I told them how Boogy died.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 02:49 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
When you abuse painkillers, you're looking to attain a certain state of consciousness--or lack thereof. The alcohol just gets you there much quicker.

Old
05-21-2011, 03:05 PM
King of cool
The winning hat

Fanfeedr got some pics of the funerals.

http://www.fanfeedr.com/nhl/2011/05/...nhl/ny_rangers

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 03:06 PM
OverTheCap

When I was in college, it wasn't uncommon for people I knew to drink alcohol and then pop a painkiller to increase their buzz. Unlike Boogy, who seemed like he was battling addiction for awhile, these people were not addicts and were just looking for a high. Some were aware of the risks, others felt they were invincible and that nothing would happen to them.

Unfortunately, mixing pills and alcohol is far too common an occurrence in this day and age. Painkillers and anti-anxiety drugs such as Xanax are easy to obtain. If an individual doesn't have a prescription to these drugs, there's a good chance he or she knows someone who does. If there's one thing that can come out of this tragedy, it's an increased awareness of the dangers associated with mixing pills and alcohol.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 03:21 PM
King of cool
The winning hat

Quote:
About 40 members of the Rangers organization were in attendance today, led by MSG Sports president and Rangers alternate governor Scott O’Neil, as well as Glen Sather, the full training staff and nearly all of the players. John Tortorella, recovering from knee replacement surgery earlier this month, is not yet able to travel. Brendan Shanahan, now a vice president in the league office, flew to Regina with the Rangers contingent, and the NHLPA was represented by executive director Donald Fehr along with Jim McKenzie, a tough customer in his own right during his playing days.

While many of Boogaard’s former Wild teammates also paid their respects, it was of particular note that Jody Shelley made the trip from Philadelphia, such was his respect for a fellow combatant. Boogaard and Shelley fought six times over the years, most recently in November in Philadelphia.
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...n-saskatchewan

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 03:27 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
When I was in college, it wasn't uncommon for people I knew to drink alcohol and then pop a painkiller to increase their buzz. Unlike Boogy, who seemed like he was battling addiction for awhile, these people were not addicts and were just looking for a high. Some were aware of the risks, others felt they were invincible and that nothing would happen to them.

Unfortunately, mixing pills and alcohol is far too common an occurrence in this day and age. Painkillers and anti-anxiety drugs such as Xanax are easy to obtain. If an individual doesn't have a prescription to these drugs, there's a good chance he or she knows someone who does. If there's one thing that can come out of this tragedy, it's an increased awareness of the dangers associated with mixing pills and alcohol.
Yes, I know that I tried that combo many years ago. Basically you just melt into the couch and literally feel no pain. But then I took 1 pill and had 1, perhaps 2 beers max. I'm sure Boogard being a far bigger man than I...not to mention the fact he had probably built up a tolerance over the years...had ingested quite a bit more to have this happen to him.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 04:02 PM
CCF
This is the year....

It's dreary here in Regina. Fitting given the circumstances.

RIP Derek.

CCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 04:58 PM
kovazub94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
It was not implied. It was flat out stated. I believe the quote was "The post has LEARNED". That's not speculation. That's reporting information.

His column actually counteracted a lot of the speculation that was going on. It put to bed the initial thinking that Boogaard may have died as a direct result of the concussion.
I really don't want to pursue this discussion further - because it's still only been days since Derek passed away.

My only point was that while the cause of death was not officially known and reported (it could have been a heart attack, ackward fall, I don't know a spider bite, many more possible plausable and inplausable causes) it was not ethical IMHO to disclose Derek's participation in the program. It led to various speculations and even though in the end the information disclosed was related to the cause of death - it could have been anything else completely unrelated.

Ok, I respect other opinions but I'm done with this discussion.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 06:27 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I broke my ankle 3 years ago, pretty severe break, imploded, broke in 3 places. I was on Oxy for 3 weeks and my body got addicted to it like no other drug I've taken in my life. I was still able to get prescriptions for it months later if I complained of pain. It was harder to kick those pills than when I quit smoking Cigarettes years ago. Tried cold turkey and went 4 days with no sleep, eventually had to ween myself off of them.

This stuff remains legal and available to pretty much everyone, while other less harmful painkilling medicine are outlawed. Something's definitely wrong here.
Thank you for sharing.
Given the apparent strength of such drug, it is plausible to discern that Boogard's demise, though apparently obviously by his own hand, was accidental and not by design, which makes it even all the more tragic.

I reiterate my earlier posts in this thread: RIP, condolences to his family, and note as to some causes close to Derek we may consider if so inclined to any kind of hands on follow up.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 06:37 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

I hope this saves lives long term. Of course the NYR show the support.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 06:44 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Anyword on which Rangers did and didn't attend?

I saw Boyle, Cally, Avery, Gabby there in that one picture.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 07:25 PM
Pizza

Quote:
I really don't want to pursue this discussion further - because it's still only been days since Derek passed away.

My only point was that while the cause of death was not officially known and reported (it could have been a heart attack, ackward fall, I don't know a spider bite, many more possible plausable and inplausable causes) it was not ethical IMHO to disclose Derek's participation in the program. It led to various speculations and even though in the end the information disclosed was related to the cause of death - it could have been anything else completely unrelated.

Ok, I respect other opinions but I'm done with this discussion.
Well said.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 08:57 PM
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
Fanfeedr got some pics of the funerals.

http://www.fanfeedr.com/nhl/2011/05/...nhl/ny_rangers
Why does Gabby look like he's getting ready to get into a fistfight?

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 09:27 PM
free0717

I know this isnt PC but why did Dumbass Sather sign a Free Agent who is addicted to Painkillers?

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 11:05 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
Anyword on which Rangers did and didn't attend?

I saw Boyle, Cally, Avery, Gabby there in that one picture.
Wolski, Del Zotto, Staal, and Prust were there, DZ tweeted it.

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 11:11 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
I know this isnt PC but why did Dumbass Sather sign a Free Agent who is addicted to Painkillers?
Perhaps the substance abuse program keeps the players anonymity?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote