HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Derek Boogard Found Dead

Old
05-16-2011, 08:13 AM
billbruins72

vCash: 500
I missed the first few minutes of the game and didn't hear about this until this morning. Such a shame. RIP.

billbruins72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 08:59 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
Derek Boogaardís brain donated for trauma research
Boogaardís agent and a spokeswoman for the Boston University School of Medicine confirmed Sunday that his brain will be examined for signs of a degenerative disease often found in athletes who sustain repeated hits to the head.

"Itís an amazing thing he did and his family did. Hopefully, thatíll bring some information," agent Ron Salcer said. "We donít know exactly the impact that the concussions might have played."

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/h...&position=also

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 10:57 AM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
Boogaardís agent and a spokeswoman for the Boston University School of Medicine confirmed Sunday that his brain will be examined for signs of a degenerative disease often found in athletes who sustain repeated hits to the head.

"Itís an amazing thing he did and his family did. Hopefully, thatíll bring some information," agent Ron Salcer said. "We donít know exactly the impact that the concussions might have played."

That is a very good thing his family did. It may help in the research into head injuries.

What a terrible thing. I can not imagine how hard this must be for his family and friends.

05-16-2011, 11:17 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfan View Post
That is a very good thing his family did. It may help in the research into head injuries.

What a terrible thing. I can not imagine how hard this must be for his family and friends.
Certainly points to concerns the family has if the autopsy is clean otherwise.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 11:47 AM
northeastern

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdL View Post
Just wanted to say I'm embarrassed for Boston after watching that moment of silence. More than one person yelling and laughing... first time I've EVER seen a moment of silence cut short. Disgusting.
I was at the game. i dont recall any laughing. the only noise that I heard was a few cheers and people yelling "boooooooogard". either the tv altered things or your taking it very wrong, to me everyone was either silent or cheering for him.

northeastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 11:57 AM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by northeastern View Post
I was at the game. i dont recall any laughing. the only noise that I heard was a few cheers and people yelling "boooooooogard". either the tv altered things or your taking it very wrong, to me everyone was either silent or cheering for him.
I was at the game...Seems like the noise during the silent moment was louder on TV ?

I heard someone yell but other than that it was pretty quiet. I don't mind someone shouting his name but they could have waited until after the moment of silence...It was not very long...maybe 30 seconds. Some people just can't shut up ...ever.

Ladyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 12:09 PM
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint

Quote:
Originally Posted by northeastern View Post
You should hear it on the TV. I was at the game, too, and when I listened to the game last night, I was appalled at how loud it sounded on TV. It honestly was quiet for the most part- a couple of folks yelled out his name, but when you hear it on the TV you do hear some jeers and laughter. I can see where people are pissed off, but truly, being there, I did not hear it like that. It was very silent up in the balcony area where we were.

Lady Rhian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 12:12 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

28 is way too young to die but perhaps it was just his time.

May he rest in peace. My condolences to his family.

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 12:12 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Rhian View Post
You should hear it on the TV. I was at the game, too, and when I listened to the game last night, I was appalled at how loud it sounded on TV. It honestly was quiet for the most part- a couple of folks yelled out his name, but when you hear it on the TV you do hear some jeers and laughter. I can see where people are pissed off, but truly, being there, I did not hear it like that. It was very silent up in the balcony area where we were.
It was damn loud on TV. I wonder why that was. It seems like crowd noise is never done justice usually.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 12:15 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
It was damn loud on TV. I wonder why that was. It seems like crowd noise is never done justice usually.
They hang a mic from the press box. My guess would be those yelling were in the 315's.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:

I was never able to help but be a big fan of Boogard's.

This is just an awesome thing to hear, though.

His passing is a terrible thing for even just a regular observer of the sport. I can't imagine what it must be like for his family, friends and teammates. But it's not in vain, as his family was generous enough to ensure.

Best wishes to everyone who was close to him.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 06:23 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
I hope his death has not concussion related, that will turn the league upside-down
I'm afraid we'll find it was and it will. I'll be surprised if there is not a big push to eliminate fighting if so.

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 06:29 PM
Schmautzie
Dave est maganť

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
I'm afraid we'll find it was and it will. I'll be surprised if there is not a big push to eliminate fighting if so.
You may be right. This will be the trigger.

Schmautzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 06:43 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

About time. Hockey is the only major pro sport that condones open fistfighting between players without suspending the participants. I've been all for putting a stop to that for awhile.

Now I will say that I'm going to wait for evidence. IF they still can't prove outright harm, then I for one am not going to make any additional fuss. If allowing that kind of open fighting is killing hockey players, it's time to stop hanging onto the past.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 07:10 PM
Schmautzie
Dave est maganť

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
About time. Hockey is the only major pro sport that condones open fistfighting between players without suspending the participants. I've been all for putting a stop to that for awhile.

Now I will say that I'm going to wait for evidence. IF they still can't prove outright harm, then I for one am not going to make any additional fuss. If allowing that kind of open fighting is killing hockey players, it's time to stop hanging onto the past.
Personally, I like fighting in the game (yeah, I'm Neanderthal, yadda, yadda). I don't like the staged boxing matches where enforcer 1 has a boxing match with enforcer 2 but I do enjoy the occasional scrum where two guys are battling for the puck and they have a dust up. YMMV.

Schmautzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 09:50 PM
RunFromTheBear

It seems more concussions occur due to checking, opposed to fighting. If you are worried about head injuries causing checks, checking should be removed from the NHL, kickoffs and punts should be removed from the NFL and NASCAR drivers should only be able to drive 60mph.

I think what needs to go are the sucker punches thrown by Horton and Lucic last game and punching a player after he is already down. Hitting the unsuspecting or defenseless is more likely to cause serious harm. I'm in the group who thinks no fighting whatsoever will lead to more cheap stufflike late hits, hits from behind, slashing, etc. I can't even imagine the crud that would go on in front of the net after a whistle.

With Boogards massive size I thought we would hear it was heart related. In anycase what a terrible thing for his family. 28 is way too young.

RunFromTheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 07:24 AM
Therick67

Quote:

If we banned everything that had risk in it, we would all be just sitting in a room looking at the wall.

Fighting in hockey has been around for a long time, in many leagues. I'm not sure how we determined how Boogard passed, but it's possibe he had other problems that may or may not be related.

Eliminating fighting will not cause concussions to go away.

Therick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 08:37 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:

You may as well ban checking too, since that leads to far more concussions every year than fighting does. Maybe they can ban sticks too, since those are potentially dangerous weapons that cause injury pretty frequently.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 08:44 AM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
You may as well ban checking too, since that leads to far more concussions every year than fighting does. Maybe they can ban sticks too, since those are potentially dangerous weapons that cause injury pretty frequently.
IMO the rules changes coming out of the lockout changed the game, and have caused more concussions than fighting.

The league got out the clutching and grabbing, and increased the speed of the game, causing a whole new set of problems to consider.

Therick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 08:52 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
IMO the rules changes coming out of the lockout changed the game, and have caused more concussions than fighting.

The league got out the clutching and grabbing, and increased the speed of the game, causing a whole new set of problems to consider.
The increased speed of the game is certainly a huge factor in the recent uptick in concussions. Players are bigger, faster, stronger, and have better protective equipment on. Those all factor into this growing problem. The other piece is that players, coaches, and medical staffs are all more aware of concussions. In the 80's, a guy would take a big hit, get some smelling salts on the bench and be out on his next shift. I'm sure a ton of concussions went undiagnosed and untreated.

Old
05-17-2011, 10:19 AM
FutureConsiderations

All those speculating about concussions and fighting need to step back and evaluate the facts:

1. Boogaard suffered a bad concussion this year and likely had many others in his career.

2. Boogaard was in the league's substance abuse program.

3. Boogaard died at 28. There were no reports that he was suffering from memory loss, lack of coordination, vision problems, or anything else resembling brain trauma.

Even if Derek died of either depression (suicide) or brain hemorrhaging, there are very likely too many mitigating factors to say that this was caused by concussions. Depression is a common symptom of drug withdrawal and/or relapsing and a hemorrhage or something like that could most likely have been caused by something other than a concussion he suffered months ago (e.g. a bad mix of medicines).

Occam's Razor isn't buying this "fighting -> concussion -> death" link. There's too much else, just like Probert. Even if he showed signs of CTE, it's almost impossible to say that led to depression at 28 and thus, his death. If you're making that claim, there are a lot of holes to fill in the story and a lot of mitigating factors.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 10:21 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
All those speculating about concussions and fighting need to step back and evaluate the facts:

1. Boogaard suffered a bad concussion this year and likely had many others in his career.

3. Boogaard died at 28. There were no reports that he was suffering from memory loss, lack of coordination, vision problems, or anything else resembling brain trauma.

Even if Derek died of either depression (suicide) or brain hemorrhaging, there are very likely too many mitigating factors to say that this was caused by concussions. Depression is a common symptom of drug withdrawal and/or relapsing and a hemorrhage or something like that could most likely have been caused by something other than a concussion he suffered months ago (e.g. a bad mix of medicines).

Occam's Razor isn't buying this "fighting -> concussion -> death" link. There's too much else, just like Probert. Even if he showed signs of CTE, it's almost impossible to say that led to depression at 28 and thus, his death. If you're making that claim, there are a lot of holes to fill in the story and a lot ofitigatimg factors.
Well said...

Old
05-17-2011, 10:38 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Will tragic death lead to change?
So dominant was Derek Boogaard as an NHL enforcer that in life he might have been altering the role of fighting in the game.

But in death, could the former Minnesota Wild and New York Rangers pugilist tragically enact the most profound changes yet?
While it is premature to link Boogaard's tragic death with his career as an enforcer -- and anyone doing so is using it to shamelessly further their anti-fighting stance -- the family's action at least acknowledges concern that it is a possibility

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../18152666.html

Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 11:30 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Will tragic death lead to change?
So dominant was Derek Boogaard as an NHL enforcer that in life he might have been altering the role of fighting in the game.

But in death, could the former Minnesota Wild and New York Rangers pugilist tragically enact the most profound changes yet?
While it is premature to link Boogaard's tragic death with his career as an enforcer -- and anyone doing so is using it to shamelessly further their anti-fighting stance -- the family's action at least acknowledges concern that it is a possibility

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../18152666.html
I wonder if the idiot that wrote this ever saw him fight ? What a dink. The man didn't take too many off the noggin. But hey if you can have brain trauma from the knuckles, yep there is the problem. Anyone that thinks his death is fight related is living in a world of bulls in china stores. This has most probably to do with his lifestyle outside of hockey.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 11:50 AM
GrumpyJ
formerly jmiller010

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post

Occam's Razor isn't buying this "fighting -> concussion -> death" link. There's too much else, just like Probert. Even if he showed signs of CTE, it's almost impossible to say that led to depression at 28 and thus, his death. If you're making that claim, there are a lot of holes to fill in the story and a lot of mitigating factors.
I like what you're saying...

IMO, we're going to walk into an era where every athletic death is somehow or another blamed partially or fully on brain injury. I'm pretty sure plenty of contact sport athletes who die when they're 90 still have some evidence of they're brain injuries from fifty years before. It's a serious subject, and deserves attention and alterations from the respective leagues, but I'm very weary of whether or not there can be unbiased testing and conclusive results based on how focused everyone involved with sports seems to be on the issue at this time.

GrumpyJ is offline   Reply With Quote