HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Thrashers sale completed clearing way for move to Winnipeg

Old
05-31-2011, 11:00 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

vCash: 500
Thrashers sale completed clearing way for move to Winnipeg

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=6610414

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:08 AM
BOXPLAY

Send a message via AIM to BOXPLAY
just posted on there boards wishing them the best so sad

BOXPLAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:11 AM
Chalfdiggity3

Its said for Atlanta but they no offense to them, were ever loyal hockey fans. Winnipeg Jets should have never lost their team and cant wait to see them back in the NHL. This move will work out great for the nhl.

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:14 AM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

vCash: 1187
God I hope Detroit doesn't come to the east......

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:16 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts Kinda Guy View Post
well they have a yr to figure it out and lets pray its the Blue Jackets.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:22 AM
NYR Viper

So, will Selanne now sign in Winnipeg for 1 last season before he retires?

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:23 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
well they have a yr to figure it out and lets pray its the Blue Jackets.
Nashville or Jackets, Nashville makes the most sense to me, they seem to slip right into the SW division there.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:28 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Nashville or Jackets, Nashville makes the most sense to me, they seem to slip right into the SW division there.
I agree with Nashville. They make the most sense not only because of their location, which would be what is considered most, but also because of their compete level. I think Nashville has a nice franchise and it would be better for the NHL to stick Nashville in a division with Tampa Bay, Carolina, Washington, and Florida. The first 3 listed have been pretty good over the last few years. You add Nashville to that and that division is even tougher.

Old
05-31-2011, 11:29 AM
94now

It's in Central Time zone. Just 1 hour difference. Not bad. We will play there 3 times, right?

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:33 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I think its 3 times. Or maybe 4?

It's hard to feel bad for Atlanta. The team was in a playoff race this year and still couldnt get fans in the seats. The article stated that they were ranked 28th out of 30 for attendance this past season. That's just awful. That wouldnt happen in nashville, let alone the big markets like new york, toronto, detroit, etc.

Old
05-31-2011, 11:35 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Nashville to the Southeast sounds good to me.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:40 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Why is it sad? I'm glad they are moving. Atlanta is not a pro sports town at all. If they don't support the team (and they don't), screw 'em. Move them to where they will support them.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:47 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Why is it sad? I'm glad they are moving. Atlanta is not a pro sports town at all. If they don't support the team (and they don't), screw 'em. Move them to where they will support them.
I feel empathetic towards the true hockey fans in Atlanta--and there are some great fans there, believe it or not--but I'm happy for the NHL in general. And very happy for the fans in Winnipeg, who never should have lost the Jets to begin with.

Old
05-31-2011, 11:54 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Any place that can fill an arena, albeit smaller than the one Atlanta, deserves a NHL team. They wanted them to stay, support the team and go to the games. It's not like Atlanta was terrible.

Also, Atlanta fans are notorious for not caring for regular season games and only go to playoff games. The Braves in the early 2000's weren't selling out games in the regular season while they were winning divisions. I hope this makes the fans realize that someone might be willing to sell their team and have them move. Go support your teams Atlanta.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 12:01 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I feel empathetic towards the true hockey fans in Atlanta--and there are some great fans there, believe it or not--but I'm happy for the NHL in general. And very happy for the fans in Winnipeg, who never should have lost the Jets to begin with.
The select few I am sad for. But it's a very, very small population of the people, obviously.

Either way, this should be great for revenue for the NHL.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 12:02 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
I think its 3 times. Or maybe 4?

It's hard to feel bad for Atlanta. The team was in a playoff race this year and still couldnt get fans in the seats. The article stated that they were ranked 28th out of 30 for attendance this past season. That's just awful. That wouldnt happen in nashville, let alone the big markets like new york, toronto, detroit, etc.
you have to feel bad for the diehard fans...the city might not have been able to support the team, but i don't care if there are only 5 diehard fans, those 5 people don't deserve this. think how you'd feel if you lost your team? the move might be best for the league overall but for those individual fans it sucks

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 12:15 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Yah, definitely sad for Inferno.

The company I work for is based in Atlanta though. Of the ~100 employees that work @ HQ, I have yet to speak to one who's ever been to see the Thrashers . Very few people there will miss them or even know they're gone.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 12:16 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts Kinda Guy View Post
Why? They are the NHL's oldest team with the average age of almost 31, the only team over the average age of 30.

Their prospects are rated #12, so just about average. They have hardly any wingers in the system and outside of Brendan Smith, no defensemen.

I see a long, cold winter in Detroit's near future.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 12:21 PM
Propane Nightmares
Spirit Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
It's in Central Time zone. Just 1 hour difference. Not bad. We will play there 3 times, right?
Is it correct that they will be playing in the South East division temporarily? If this is the case we play them 4 times:
you play each team in your division 6 times (24)
each other team in your conference 4 times (40+24=64)
each team in the other conference once (15+64=79)
then you play 3 wildcard teams in the other conference again (3+79=82)

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 12:23 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Why? They are the NHL's oldest team with the average age of almost 31, the only team over the average age of 30.

Their prospects are rated #12, so just about average. They have hardly any wingers in the system and outside of Brendan Smith, no defensemen.

I see a long, cold winter in Detroit's near future.
Not bashing, but people have been saying this for years. Until I see it with my own eyes, I don't believe they're headed for a downfall.

I think they only become better with the reduced travel in the Eastern Conference...... scary thought.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 12:25 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
you have to feel bad for the diehard fans...the city might not have been able to support the team, but i don't care if there are only 5 diehard fans, those 5 people don't deserve this. think how you'd feel if you lost your team? the move might be best for the league overall but for those individual fans it sucks
Of course i feel bad for the true atlanta thrashers fans, but thats about all i feel bad for. The franchise there was just a disgrace. You cant have a team that at one time had both kovalchuk and heatley and not be able to draw in fans to the seats. That one is on the people of atlanta. And it is not as if the Thrashers were the first franchise the city had. They've had hockey before. Now yeah I know the Thrashers management has traded off heatley and kovalchuk, which makes it hard on the fans to support a franchise like that, but they have some good players on that roster and were in contention this year. How do you not go to the games? I just dont see the excuse. I dont know atlanta's ticket pricing but I really cant imagine they were outrageous and the culprit for why seats were empty.

Hockey going back to Winnipeg is a great move for the NHL.

Old
05-31-2011, 12:26 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy3413 View Post
Is it correct that they will be playing in the South East division temporarily? If this is the case we play them 4 times:
you play each team in your division 6 times (24)
each other team in your conference 4 times (40+24=64)
each team in the other conference once (15+64=79)
then you play 3 wildcard teams in the other conference again (3+79=82)
Yup, they'll be in the Southeast next year. Realignment will happen after next season.

Old
05-31-2011, 12:30 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
Not bashing, but people have been saying this for years. Until I see it with my own eyes, I don't believe they're headed for a downfall.

I think they only become better with the reduced travel in the Eastern Conference...... scary thought.
I'm not scared of detroit. I think they're run will soon be over. I give it a couple of years. They are just too old and their farm system isnt anything to write home about. Their goaltending has been suspect the past few years. I mean when I think of detroit I think old and with good reason, Bertuzzi, Modano, Lidstrom, Holmstrom, Draper...zetteberg, kronwall, datsyuk, franzen, cleary are all getting up there. Rafalski just retired.

But having said all that I dont see the NHL moving detroit out of the West. The rivalries are too good there.

Old
05-31-2011, 12:32 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Yeah Detroit was supposed to die with Yzerman and Federov getting old and Shanny, Robitaille and Hull's aging also... then they got Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Kronwall and Franzen. They always compete... its ridiculous.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 12:33 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

So why do we think Winnipeg will suddenly be much better? I forgot who said it but I wouldn't be surprised to see them become just like Edmonton, where FAs don't want to sign because of the location, and thus ticket sales will suffer because the on ice product is subpar.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote