HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Series Talk: WCF: Vancouver Canucks (1) vs. San Jose Sharks (2) Part II

View Poll Results: Predict the Series
Canucks in 4 7 1.99%
Canucks in 5 51 14.53%
Canucks in 6 129 36.75%
Canucks in 7 44 12.54%
Sharks in 4 6 1.71%
Sharks in 5 10 2.85%
Sharks in 6 77 21.94%
Sharks in 7 27 7.69%
Voters: 351. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2011, 02:24 PM
Slapshot_11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
this. x2, same for Zetterberg.
And I'd say the canucks would rather face the sharks D and Goalie then the hawks or preds ones

Old
05-14-2011, 02:28 PM
Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
Hi five guys!! Part 2!
could you please stop posting weird gifs

Old
05-14-2011, 02:30 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
So much wrong with this.

First off, yes, Boyle is a "true" #1.

Second, no, Edler is not as good as Boyle.

Third, you cannot be serious. Bieksa is not even remotely comparable to Boyle. In that it's laughable to suggest the two are close in caliber.

And what about this "intangible" crap? Boyle is a very experienced player and leader.
That's your opinion but he is clearly not in the webber keith charra lidstrom class. He can score goals and make some plays but there is no way he is the best d man in this series. Bieksa and hamhuis will give the sharks fits. More importantly I think ehrhoff plays his best series giving it to the sharks having a whale of a series.

But you are saying the Boyle is a true number 1 and he clearly is not. In fact the odds are someone on vancouvers d can raise their game to another level. I would be shocked if white. Vlasic, demers or Murray did the same.

My opinion is you are overrating Boyle vastly. I definitely could be wrong. But not usually.

Old
05-14-2011, 02:32 PM
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

I have a mancrush on Wellwood.

How can you not love that babyface???

and don't even get me started on Boyle

Old
05-14-2011, 02:38 PM
Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan View Post
That's your opinion but he is clearly not in the webber keith charra lidstrom class. He can score goals and make some plays but there is no way he is the best d man in this series. Bieksa and hamhuis will give the sharks fits. More importantly I think ehrhoff plays his best series giving it to the sharks having a whale of a series.

But you are saying the Boyle is a true number 1 and he clearly is not. In fact the odds are someone on vancouvers d can raise their game to another level. I would be shocked if white. Vlasic, demers or Murray did the same.

My opinion is you are overrating Boyle vastly. I definitely could be wrong. But not usually.
really disagree with this. I do think he's in that class with the best d-men in the nhl. if he's not the best d-man in this series, who is? Bieksa, hamhuis, edler, ehrhoff are not even close

of course boyle is a #1. you don't make team canada otherwise.

Old
05-14-2011, 02:39 PM
magic school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Zepp View Post
Daniel Sedin VAN 13GP 6G 4A 10PTS
Henrik Sedin VAN 13GP 1G 8A 9PTS
Patrick Marleau SJ 13GP 3G 3A 6PTS

None are tearing it up but would think that "start producing" isn't quite right as 10ish points in 13 playoff games is producing...6, not so much.
i guess there's more room for Marleau to improve to get back to his career norms.

Old
05-14-2011, 02:40 PM
Dannucksfan

Quote:

I really think you are underrating Boyle. He may not be they same "shut down" type of D-man as a Webber, Keith, Charra, or Lidstrom but he is very offensively gifted and can be a game changer. He is a true #1 more than anyone on the Canucks, although I do feel guys like Bieksa, Elder, and Hamuis don't get enough credit, they are not the same type of defenseman as Boyle.

Old
05-14-2011, 02:41 PM
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

Not to mention Boyle has more points than either the Sedins.

But he's not that good and overrated.

Old
05-14-2011, 02:49 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo View Post
really disagree with this. I do think he's in that class with the best d-men in the nhl. if he's not the best d-man in this series, who is? Bieksa, hamhuis, edler, ehrhoff are not even close

of course boyle is a #1. you don't make team canada otherwise.
Boyle is obviously the best defensemen in the series; though if Edler plays up to his full potential that gets a little less definitive (but he's been bad lately). That being said, Boyle is nowhere near the calibre of defensemen that Weber/Suter are right now; those guys are flat out dominant on both sides of the puck. I'd even say Keith/Seabrook are way more intimidating as a pairing then anything the Sharks can ice.

Old
05-14-2011, 02:51 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Personally I think Boyle is just a better all around Hoff. He's what Hoff would need to be to become an actual number 1, not just the scoring.

Old
05-14-2011, 02:52 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannucksfan View Post
I really think you are underrating Boyle. He may not be they same "shut down" type of D-man as a Webber, Keith, Charra, or Lidstrom but he is very offensively gifted and can be a game changer. He is a true #1 more than anyone on the Canucks, although I do feel guys like Bieksa, Elder, and Hamuis don't get enough credit, they are not the same type of defenseman as Boyle.
No he is the heart of the sharks d and is a number 1 but I just do not think he is a Norris caliber dman. That is all I'm saying. Would I take him on the Canucks? Of Course but I don't think he is the game changer anymore than some of the Canucks dmen are.

Anyways I'll move on.

Old
05-14-2011, 02:53 PM
magic school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot_11 View Post
And I'd say the canucks would rather face the sharks D and Goalie then the hawks or preds ones
i can understand that too. no Lidstroms on Vancouver though.

Old
05-14-2011, 02:57 PM
Dannucksfan

I am a huge Canucks fan and have been for as long as I can remember, but I am trying to look at this series objectively and not let my bias get in the way (difficult at times). This series I a difficult one to predict. It could go any way. The Canucks could get blown out if they don't start getting contributions from the Sedins, Burrows, Raymond and their depth players. SJS are a much more balanced team than the Canucks have faced yet. The only advantage I can give the Canucks is on D, I have to give the edge up front to the Sharks, And Goaltending is a wash. While Luongo should be better, Niemi has a cup, and has never lost a playoff round, he has made saves when he needed to. The only other edge I can give the canucks is on special teams, but they will have to draw penalties and that is difficult to do if they don't have the puck. They will have to play a very tight checking game not giving up the zone easy and not giving SJS a chance to set up the cycle. This one is really too close for me to call.

I know I said Canucks in 5 but I am exercising my right to change that I will say Canucks in 7 but that's more of a cop out because I feel this series is too close to call

Old
05-14-2011, 03:02 PM
NuxFan09

Question for Sharks fans: How about Jason Demers? I know when he came in to the league - last year, was it? - he was a pretty good offensive defenseman, but how has he played in his own end this season and in the playoffs? Has he found some good chemistry with Vlasic?

Old
05-14-2011, 03:06 PM
NuxFan09

Another thing:

Talking about #1 defensemen, Edler has to come back out of his shell and be the the force we know he is. He was a beast in the Chicago series and then he was fairly average in the Nashville series. Hopefully he makes a physical impact against the Sharks. Get some solid hits in on Thornton, Marleau, Heatley and Setoguchi and make them a bit hesitant entering the zone. I also hope to see Edler back on the 1st PP unit where he belongs. Canucks fans know he can make quite an offensive contribution as well.

Seeing as how both these teams boast high end offensive weapons, both teams will be heavily relying on their go-to guy on the blueline, San Jose on Boyle and Vancouver on Edler.

Old
05-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post
Question for Sharks fans: How about Jason Demers? I know when he came in to the league - last year, was it? - he was a pretty good offensive defenseman, but how has he played in his own end this season and in the playoffs? Has he found some good chemistry with Vlasic?
Demers seems to get better game by game and so far looks like the perfect compliment for Vlasic.

Old
05-14-2011, 03:14 PM
magic school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post
he's made most of his mistakes on the PP in playoffs. led to some near shorthanders against us, and he's lost PP time because of that. Boyle stays out instead of him now. i think his offense has been hurt since the White trade. less of it goes through him. White has a much better shot, so it is used more.

i love the kid. he can skate and move the puck. he spent most of this year working on getting better in his own end, and he has been. he plays the PP and PK. very underrated. he can play physical, it surprises some people. he's the only guy on the team that can hip check!

i dont think the playoffs phaze him. he was one of the only guys that showed up vs. Chicago last year. i expect big things from him now and in the future. he's played two years and is already a top-4 dman IMO. could be a #2/3 in his prime.

Old
05-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Momesso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
Not to mention Boyle has more points than either the Sedins.

But he's not that good and overrated.
Don't confuse one young poster with the majority of the fanbase here.

Boyle is a legit #1, and has a Cup and Olympic Gold to prove it.

Is he a perennial Norris candidate, well no, but really, neither is Chara or Weber (well, TBD). They're *just* Norris candidates in their prime.

Lidstrom/Pronger/Neids are in a different class.

Edler IMO is a #1 but has yet to reach his stride after being out of commission for months after back surgery. He really struggled against Nashville as he looked gassed. Erhoff, Hamhuis are legit #2s, and Bieksa, Salo & Ballard are solid top 4 guys (Salo at this stage of his career).

Don't get us started on why Ballard isn't playing though.

Old
05-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Arrch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Zepp View Post
Anyway, you have convinced me that the Sharks are vastly superior...
Wow, that's all it took? I wasn't even trying to do that, hurray me! Unless of course, that was a sarcastic comment, which would be a grand failutre on your part; none of my arguments have remotely suggested that the Sharks are the dominant team in the series. Quite opposite actually, I believe the Canucks will take this series.

I was simply pointing out how ridiculous the line of the thought of We shut down Chicago's offense, Sharks will be a cinch is.

Old
05-14-2011, 03:35 PM
Slapshot_11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto4Now View Post

I was simply pointing out how ridiculous the line of the thought of We shut down Chicago's offense, Sharks will be a cinch is.
I guess its also ridiculous of all the shark fans saying there not worried about the Sedins and Kesler since they just beat Datsyuk, Zetterberg and comp

Old
05-14-2011, 03:35 PM
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momesso View Post
AV doesn't want Luongo getting hurt?

Old
05-14-2011, 03:38 PM
Arrch

Quote:
No he is the heart of the sharks d and is a number 1 but I just do not think he is a Norris caliber dman. That is all I'm saying. Would I take him on the Canucks? Of Course but I don't think he is the game changer anymore than some of the Canucks dmen are.

Anyways I'll move on.
No, that's not what you were saying; You said he wasn't a #1 defenseman. Funny how you backtrack when your own fellow Nuck fans disagree with you.

Nobody is saying he should have been a Norris candidate, nor his defensive prowess should be called elite. He's an amazing skater, our best PMD, and has an uncanny ability to open up ice moving into the offensive zone. He also doubleshifts on the powerplay, quarterbacking both units.

Old
05-14-2011, 03:39 PM
Samzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momesso View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckEatinShark View Post
AV doesn't want Luongo getting hurt?
Too soon.

Old
05-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Bieksa was pure gold today with his comments on wellwood

Old
05-14-2011, 03:43 PM