HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Thread About Nothing 107: What is Boss? Baby don't hurt me, no more

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-15-2011, 11:32 AM
  #51
JimEIV
Registered User
 
JimEIV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 24,897
vCash: 500
Alright. This fly tying isn't working out today...I'm making mistake after mistake and I can't concentrate. The body is lumpy, the proportions are off, and nothing is going my way....I think I'm just going to take a nap instead.



JimEIV is online now  
Old
05-15-2011, 11:34 AM
  #52
Jersey Man
Mad Dog
 
Jersey Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,229
vCash: 500
I used to fish much more than I do now. I fished upstate, NY in the Catskills.

Pickerel were fun to catch but annoying to unhook. And there's nothing like the rush of a largemouth bass attacking your lure as your reeling it in.

Jersey Man is offline  
Old
05-15-2011, 11:35 AM
  #53
Mucca Mad Boy
Registered User
 
Mucca Mad Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Narmucca Bay
Country: Australia
Posts: 289
vCash: 500
Looks ok to me but I only tie simple bucktail teasers, clousers and deceivers since I only fish saltwater and stripers and bluefish aren't picky at all.

Mucca Mad Boy is offline  
Old
05-15-2011, 11:38 AM
  #54
Mucca Mad Boy
Registered User
 
Mucca Mad Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Narmucca Bay
Country: Australia
Posts: 289
vCash: 500
Some randomness for the TAN thread (warning: only watch if you have a half hour to kill):

Mucca Mad Boy is offline  
Old
05-15-2011, 11:41 AM
  #55
JimEIV
Registered User
 
JimEIV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 24,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by President Camacho View Post
Looks ok to me but I only tie simple bucktail teasers, clousers and deceivers since I only fish saltwater and stripers and bluefish aren't picky at all.
I hear the blues are thick right now? Is that true?

Never tried it before, but I would love to fly fish for them.

JimEIV is online now  
Old
05-15-2011, 11:47 AM
  #56
JimEIV
Registered User
 
JimEIV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 24,897
vCash: 500
I enjoyed this alot.


JimEIV is online now  
Old
05-15-2011, 11:53 AM
  #57
Mucca Mad Boy
Registered User
 
Mucca Mad Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Narmucca Bay
Country: Australia
Posts: 289
vCash: 500
We were offshore in 100+ fathoms for tilefish yesterday and the blues were so thick in that depth they were a nuisance. I like catching them in shallow water inshore but not when you need to crank in 600+ feet of line for a blue.

They are around inshore as well, although not as heavy where I live, but a few inlets north they have been getting them pretty good. I always like flyfishing for them because you can use whatever ugly flies you have in your box and they will get bit.

Mucca Mad Boy is offline  
Old
05-15-2011, 12:02 PM
  #58
kyle evs48
No words needed
 
kyle evs48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 29,132
vCash: 500
I've been to the gym two days in a row. That has got to be a record.

kyle evs48 is online now  
Old
05-15-2011, 12:07 PM
  #59
Mucca Mad Boy
Registered User
 
Mucca Mad Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Narmucca Bay
Country: Australia
Posts: 289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
I've been to the gym two days in a row. That has got to be a record.
Buying a gym membership is like taking a **** in your wallet. You should look into Jimmy Norville's swindle tips on how to get a free gym membership.

http://www.mtv.com/videos/misc/149800/swindle-tips-free-gym-membership.jhtml

Mucca Mad Boy is offline  
Old
05-15-2011, 12:10 PM
  #60
kyle evs48
No words needed
 
kyle evs48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 29,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by President Camacho View Post
Buying a gym membership is like taking a **** in your wallet. You should look into Jimmy Norville's swindle tips on how to get a free gym membership.

http://www.mtv.com/videos/misc/149800/swindle-tips-free-gym-membership.jhtml
Or get your parents to pay for it

kyle evs48 is online now  
Old
05-15-2011, 12:11 PM
  #61
Officer Rod Farva
Do You Even Lift Bro
 
Officer Rod Farva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by President Camacho View Post
We were offshore in 100+ fathoms for tilefish yesterday and the blues were so thick in that depth they were a nuisance. I like catching them in shallow water inshore but not when you need to crank in 600+ feet of line for a blue.

They are around inshore as well, although not as heavy where I live, but a few inlets north they have been getting them pretty good. I always like flyfishing for them because you can use whatever ugly flies you have in your box and they will get bit.
blues are pissing me off. I keep trying for stripers...little ******** keep breaking my striper rigs. Also went fluking the other day caught 14 fish...NOT ONE KEEPER

Officer Rod Farva is offline  
Old
05-15-2011, 12:12 PM
  #62
DatBoyJPP
Good Night
 
DatBoyJPP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Blairstown
Country: United States
Posts: 18,724
vCash: 500
I still use my high school's gym in the summer and lift with my baseball coach. Can't beat free even though it's a ****** little place.

DatBoyJPP is offline  
Old
05-15-2011, 12:19 PM
  #63
JimEIV
Registered User
 
JimEIV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 24,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletown Mike View Post
blues are pissing me off. I keep trying for stripers...little ******** keep breaking my striper rigs. Also went fluking the other day caught 14 fish...NOT ONE KEEPER
Fluke are here already? I thought the water temps were still a little to cool?

It really is a shame that I know nothing about our ocean fisheries. I would like to learn but I always run to the streams every free chance I get.

JimEIV is online now  
Old
05-15-2011, 12:29 PM
  #64
Jersey Man
Mad Dog
 
Jersey Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,229
vCash: 500
speaking of lifting I'm about to lift with my best friend for the last time until next semester.

but drinking all night with him and others will be a good goodbye.

Jersey Man is offline  
Old
05-15-2011, 12:31 PM
  #65
Mucca Mad Boy
Registered User
 
Mucca Mad Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Narmucca Bay
Country: Australia
Posts: 289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
Fluke are here already? I thought the water temps were still a little to cool?

It really is a shame that I know nothing about our ocean fisheries. I would like to learn but I always run to the streams every free chance I get.
May is one of the best months to catch a trophy fluke in the backwaters. Unfortunately, since the fluke opener last weekend, I've only found cold and dirty water in the local back bays. The rain runoff doesn't help and the strong tides close to the new moon have things stirred up, but hopefully by the end of this week I'll have a few keepers to show for my efforts.

Mucca Mad Boy is offline  
Old
05-15-2011, 12:32 PM
  #66
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie
 
TheUnseenHand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Appleton, WI
Country: United States
Posts: 16,526
vCash: 500
If anyone is curious, we recently sampled for Stripers in the Delaware estuary and got quite a few nice ones in 6-7ish feet of water.

TheUnseenHand is online now  
Old
05-15-2011, 12:40 PM
  #67
JimEIV
Registered User
 
JimEIV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 24,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
If anyone is curious, we recently sampled for Stripers in the Delaware estuary and got quite a few nice ones in 6-7ish feet of water.
Sampled? As in electro shocked?

Are you a biologist?

JimEIV is online now  
Old
05-15-2011, 12:51 PM
  #68
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie
 
TheUnseenHand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Appleton, WI
Country: United States
Posts: 16,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
Sampled? As in electro shocked?

Are you a biologist?
Almost correct on both accounts.

Yes, we did Electro-shock. I wasn't actually with them on that trip, I meant we as in the PFBC. I was busy shocking the river for Shad that day I believe, or something.

Right now I'm a Biologist Aide with the Commission. Recently took my Fisheries Biologist test. Hopefully when the score comes in and a Biologist spot opens up, I'll get it. Things aren't looking too terribly encouraging for that right now, though, so I'm also considering a Tech or Hatchery position; or else something outside the Commission.

TheUnseenHand is online now  
Old
05-15-2011, 01:01 PM
  #69
Mucca Mad Boy
Registered User
 
Mucca Mad Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Narmucca Bay
Country: Australia
Posts: 289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
Almost correct on both accounts.

Yes, we did Electro-shock. I wasn't actually with them on that trip, I meant we as in the PFBC. I was busy shocking the river for Shad that day I believe, or something.

Right now I'm a Biologist Aide with the Commission. Recently took my Fisheries Biologist test. Hopefully when the score comes in and a Biologist spot opens up, I'll get it. Things aren't looking too terribly encouraging for that right now, though, so I'm also considering a Tech or Hatchery position; or else something outside the Commission.
Good luck with that. I got my BS in marine biology then found out I'd make more money working on a fishing boat. Plus NJ put a freeze on hiring new biologists even though they had quite a few retire. I've done trawl surveys and even sampled using rotenone, but never done any electro shock surveys. That was always something I wanted to try.

Mucca Mad Boy is offline  
Old
05-15-2011, 01:06 PM
  #70
Officer Rod Farva
Do You Even Lift Bro
 
Officer Rod Farva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
Fluke are here already? I thought the water temps were still a little to cool?

It really is a shame that I know nothing about our ocean fisheries. I would like to learn but I always run to the streams every free chance I get.
well usually the season didn't start till like 2 weeks later, but I think they found out that the fishery isn't as out-fished like they assumed.

It used to start this early but was pushed back to make the season shorter. like someone said, now is the time to get the big ones. They are in pretty shallow waters right now, or were two days ago.

Officer Rod Farva is offline  
Old
05-15-2011, 01:11 PM
  #71
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie
 
TheUnseenHand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Appleton, WI
Country: United States
Posts: 16,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by President Camacho View Post
Good luck with that. I got my BS in marine biology then found out I'd make more money working on a fishing boat. Plus NJ put a freeze on hiring new biologists even though they had quite a few retire. I've done trawl surveys and even sampled using rotenone, but never done any electro shock surveys. That was always something I wanted to try.
Thanks!

It's very tough out there for this field right now. My boss keeps telling me to go back and get my Masters which would be nice, but I know plenty of people who have a Masters and are taking jobs like the one I have currently (if they can get one).

Electrofishing on a boat is fun, but I enjoy backpack electrofishing on small streams much more. Hiking or 4 wheeling to the stream, ducking around tree and branches, watching out for snakes, and shocking a 4 ft. wide coldwater stream for brookies is so much fun. Plus I learn of all the good (and not so good) fishing spots

TheUnseenHand is online now  
Old
05-15-2011, 01:14 PM
  #72
JimEIV
Registered User
 
JimEIV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 24,897
vCash: 500
Very,very cool guys. You made my day much more interesting.

I donít think people understand how valuable the work is that our divisions of natural resources do.

Not only for outdoor recreation but overall conservation.

They need more public relations to let people know the good things that are being done every day.

JimEIV is online now  
Old
05-15-2011, 01:28 PM
  #73
JimEIV
Registered User
 
JimEIV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 24,897
vCash: 500
And wild brookies are one of the single most beautiful thing on earth.

I'm going to have to break out the 3wt and head to my favorite little brook this week.

JimEIV is online now  
Old
05-15-2011, 01:34 PM
  #74
DangleSnipeCelly
Formerly KupsforKovy
 
DangleSnipeCelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rockaway
Posts: 916
vCash: 500
I really miss fishing.. haven't been in a few years since I had to start buying a license every year. I was a big bass fisherman. Everyday I would just go out for a few hours and toss the line out... man what good times... I am getting my license again now lol

DangleSnipeCelly is offline  
Old
05-15-2011, 01:50 PM
  #75
Game Breaker
Registered User
 
Game Breaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Yonkers, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,688
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Game Breaker
Can't stop watching the secret life of the american teenager.

__________________
Heroes get remembered, but legends never die...


"...then they take their retard 7 foot Chara, who sticks out like a boner in sweatpants..."- Devs4thCup
Game Breaker is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.