HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Jason Spezza a "disappointment" ?

Old
05-15-2011, 10:37 AM
BK201

vCash: 500
Spezza is an elite centre in the league that gets lots of respect except from sens fans who turn on him all the time.

Spezza is awesome everyone thinks he's awesome and it's only sens fans that ever question his abilities and it's sad.

BK201 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 10:41 AM
Tuna99

He's a #1 center but not an elite one, his game has gotten better in everyway since entering the league and he's become a leader for the franchise and will wear the 'C' one day.

That being said if any one player has the ability to turn this franchise around with one specttacular season and drag us into the playoffs next year, it's Spezza. If he does that then we can start talking about him in the Eric Staal and Getzlaf class of elite Centers.

I'd still rather have Spezz then Joe Thornton, when it's on the line Spezza usually comes up with some type of play so that's why I think he still can be better over the next 2 season.

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 10:42 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I think there is a difference between disappointment and not quite filling the high expectations people have for you. A disappointment to me was Daigle. All the talent and no drive. Spezza, in my opinion, is the best draft eligible prospect I had ever seen since I had started following CHL players and I thought he was certain to be a 150 point center in the Yzerman mold. In that sense, it is somewhat disappointing for him to only be a 0.9 PPG player the past few years. More offensive skill than I have ever seen on another prospect since he was drafted save Crosby. Everybody else, it's not even close. He's more naturally skilled than Stamkos and Lecavalier, but he doesn't get as much mileage out of the it like the former does and seems to do a bit more than the latter. I suppose the Lecavalier comparison is as good as any really considering both guys were projected to be all world players and never really put more than a couple of seasons together at that level.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 11:08 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

Spezza is a #1 centre and has been since his 2nd season in the NHL, he's been a top 5 PPG player in the league multiple times, and has played for Canada on many occasions. He's produced at above a PPG clip over his career and a PPG clip in the playoffs.

He still hasn't played his best hockey in the NHL.

Far from disappointing IMO.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 11:16 AM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
Spezza is a #1 centre and has been since his 2nd season in the NHL, he's been a top 5 PPG player in the league multiple times, and has played for Canada on many occasions. He's produced at above a PPG clip over his career and a PPG clip in the playoffs.

+1000000

he is an elite centre and i'm sorry you self hating sens fans can't see that.

Old
05-15-2011, 11:18 AM
Samsquanch
Creep

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post

Pretty much this. And also, the "next one" cant be taken second overall, it just doesnt work like that...

Spezza has had the career of an elite first line center so far, and most believe (myself included) the best has yet to come.

Samsquanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 11:23 AM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Not necessarily...

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 11:26 AM
Jorec

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah3 View Post
After two and a half crap seasons, yes he is a disappointment. We shall see what the final verdict is on Spezza next season.
I didn`t know he was retiring after next season...

He has not disappointed at all IMO; I have difficulty seeing how people can reasonably call him a disappointment honestly.

Last edited by Jorec: 05-15-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Jorec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 01:18 PM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post
He's a #1 center but not an elite one, his game has gotten better in everyway since entering the league and he's become a leader for the franchise and will wear the 'C' one day.

That being said if any one player has the ability to turn this franchise around with one specttacular season and drag us into the playoffs next year, it's Spezza. If he does that then we can start talking about him in the Eric Staal and Getzlaf class of elite Centers.

I'd still rather have Spezz then Joe Thornton, when it's on the line Spezza usually comes up with some type of play so that's why I think he still can be better over the next 2 season.
I think Spezza is definitely ELITE #1 center. Are there some parts of his game you don't like over his career? Sure

But production is without the shodow of a doubt ELITE level #1 center. Not his fault he has been about ppg player the last few season with NO WINGERS to work with. I mean dude's been playing with even AHLers like Greening (no dis) this year.

Get him 1 or 2 good wingers that can finish plays on a consistent bases and he is automatic for 90-100+ pts, if he can play a full 82 game season. Dude use to score 30 goals and 90+ pts easy in 60 games as a 21-23 year old with elite players. He is a better player now than that Spezza was.

Just get him some decent trigger men like Gionta or Camalleri, not Alfredsson in his prime or Heatley when he could actually score.

Better yet, get him LANDESKOG! In 2 years I promise you they will be a fearsome duo because they compliment each other's game a lot.

If I didn't have Spezza already in place I would not be as interested in Landeskog as I would be on another prospect like Huberdeau, who I am still very interested in.

Last edited by 4thliner*: 05-15-2011 at 01:35 PM.
4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 01:26 PM
puckfan13

Sorry stumbled over here from the Oilers board, but can't help but say that you guys should be lucky you have a top notch #1 centre most teams would die for. He might not be Crosby or Datsyuk but he is damn good and teams wait years and years for a big #1 C. Look at us.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 01:27 PM
Sensfanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Sorry stumbled over here from the Oilers board, but can't help but say that you guys should be lucky you have a top notch #1 centre most teams would die for. He might not be Crosby or Datsyuk but he is damn good and teams wait years and years for a big #1 C. Look at us.
Thank you! Some fans here are delusional.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 01:32 PM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
I don't think Ottawa has been without a big #1 C ever. From drafting Yashin 2nd overall in 1992 to drafting Spezza 2nd overall in 2001.

We don't know what it is like to be without one, like forever since the late 80's early 90s in Edmonton or many other clubs.

Spoiled fans

Old
05-15-2011, 02:17 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
I don't believe he's a disappointment, I just believe he's had to suffer from not consistently having "Elite" Wingers always at his flanks..
He has been a 1st line center everywhere he has played which tells me that he must also have had the best 1st line wingers on every team playing with him on every team he has ever played for. He has had elite forwards playing with him since he entered the league & now he has the best "sniper" the organization has in Bobby Butler. It's time we stop blaming everybody else for Spezza's short comings most notably the fact that he has never won any championship since before junior. He is suppose to make everybody else around him better, remember. I'm quite sure that Murray will again try the UFA market to find him another scoring winger but the fact remains that over the last two & a half seasons he hasn't been healthy enough to play 82 games & hasn't earned his hefty pay cheque. In fact, hasn't really been all that effective since Heatley left except when it matters the least, when we are already out of the playoff hunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
Spezza is an elite centre in the league that gets lots of respect except from sens fans who turn on him all the time.

Spezza is awesome everyone thinks he's awesome and it's only sens fans that ever question his abilities and it's sad.
This too is not necessarily true, I know many hockey fans around the country who think Spezza is a floater & perimeter player who was hyped up mostly by Cherry & the Toronto media who drafted him to Missassauga & he never really delivered. In fact, he was traded twice in junior which is wierd for a franchise center. They say he gets lots of points in the regular season but doesn't do anything to win the big games when it counts the most. They refer to him as a regular season player & not a playoff performer although he has good stats in the playoffs how many of those are game winning goals or series winning goals?

Still I don't think he has been the biggest dissapointment to this franchise, Yashin, Daigle & Bonk were all disappointing, Redden's sudden & rapid decline & Chara leaving are also all very dissapointing. From the first time I saw Spezza fooling around at the development camp & not paying attention I knew he would be a problem for the organization. The fact that it took him so long, yrs in fact, to learn the defensive part of the game & that he still makes stupid blind passes at the worst possible moments tells me that he isn't as hockey smart as most think.

At this point in his career it seems that the organization has placed all their eggs in his basket & whether he has the maturity to handle it & carry this team forward remains to be seen. Personally, I don't think there are enough pieces on this team right now to make a difference & it will take 3 to 5 yrs before this team can challenge for the cup. He should be our best player until then. Whether he is still relevant at that point of his career also remains to be seen but I think it will be the prospects we have now & moving forward over the next few drafts that will eventually make a difference for this franchise & not necessarily Spezza.

However, if Murray can pick up one very good scoring forward in this UFA market to play with Spezza & maybe trade for another could make a difference for Spezza. If one or two prospects take a giant step forward could also make a huge difference to this team & take some pressure off Spezza. I just don't think this franchise will ever win with Spezza unless those things happen & his best yrs could be behind him, not in front of him. Then their is the question of his health & bad back & whether they can hold up long enough to play 82 games or more importantly whether they can hold up long enough for him to win 16 playoff games. I hope he proves me wrong, he hasn't so far.

Keeping Spezza or trading Spezza would be a pivotal move for this franchise. I would love to see Murray trade Spezza to Columbus for Johanson & their 1st rd pick but I doubt that happens this yr or any other yr. Although, that would be a good trade for both teams, it would really set Ottawa into rebuild mode but they wouldn't be very good for a number of yrs. But, we would have a future 1st line center in Johanson, hopefully we could draft Couturier to be a 2nd line center, Puempel with the Columbus pick & Biggs with the Nashville pick & Ottawa would be set with four very good prospects moving forward plus whatever else they draft in this draft & the next few drafts plus the prospects we already have.

The future (not including better prospects this organization might draft):
Puempel - Johanson - Biggs
Greening - Couturier - Butler
Regin - Grant - Stone
Foligno - Z. Smith - Sdao
- strength down the middle & scorers on the wings.

Cowen - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Rundblad
Blood - Gryba
- size & grit on the backend.

Lehner - Anderson
- size & experience in net

Last edited by aragorn: 05-15-2011 at 02:24 PM.
aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 02:29 PM
RISPECK CLASS 101

If you go back and read over the list of players drafted in 2001 along with Spezza it's not a stretch to say he could easily go down as the best overall player from that draft. As it stands right now his only real competition is Kovy, so then the questions becomes who'd you rather?

Spezza pls!

Reasoning? Spezza is Center, he happens to be one of the better faceoff men in the NHL. He is one of the best playmakers in the NHL, he can score, his defensive game is getting better each season and the #1 reason i'd take him over Kovy is because he makes the players around him better (See Butler/Greening/and to a lesser extent Heatley - Didn't score 50 before Spezza and hasn't scored 50 since...)

OT: that last paragraph was kinda in response to Yost's article today

RISPECK CLASS 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 03:00 PM
CoolGuyDave
Illest guy in town!

I don't think I've ever heard a Gretzky or Lemieux comparison. The only HOFer that he's ever been compared to is Stevie Yzerman.... and I can see where it's coming from. Obviously the numbers won't be as similar, as Yzerman had to try to score on Kelly Hrudy and Felix Potvin, while Spezza has to face Fleury, Luongo, Price, and Thomas, all of which he consistently makes look silly. If you were to put Giggles in the early 90's I have no doubt Spezza vs. Yzerman would be like the comparison of Kesler vs. M.Richards.

CoolGuyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 03:02 PM
CoolGuyDave
Illest guy in town!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
He has been a 1st line center everywhere he has played which tells me that he must also have had the best 1st line wingers on every team playing with him on every team he has ever played for. He has had elite forwards playing with him since he entered the league & now he has the best "sniper" the organization has in Bobby Butler. It's time we stop blaming everybody else for Spezza's short comings most notably the fact that he has never won any championship since before junior. He is suppose to make everybody else around him better, remember. I'm quite sure that Murray will again try the UFA market to find him another scoring winger but the fact remains that over the last two & a half seasons he hasn't been healthy enough to play 82 games & hasn't earned his hefty pay cheque. In fact, hasn't really been all that effective since Heatley left except when it matters the least, when we are already out of the playoff hunt.

This too is not necessarily true, I know many hockey fans around the country who think Spezza is a floater & perimeter player who was hyped up mostly by Cherry & the Toronto media who drafted him to Missassauga & he never really delivered. In fact, he was traded twice in junior which is wierd for a franchise center. They say he gets lots of points in the regular season but doesn't do anything to win the big games when it counts the most. They refer to him as a regular season player & not a playoff performer although he has good stats in the playoffs how many of those are game winning goals or series winning goals?

Still I don't think he has been the biggest dissapointment to this franchise, Yashin, Daigle & Bonk were all disappointing, Redden's sudden & rapid decline & Chara leaving are also all very dissapointing. From the first time I saw Spezza fooling around at the development camp & not paying attention I knew he would be a problem for the organization. The fact that it took him so long, yrs in fact, to learn the defensive part of the game & that he still makes stupid blind passes at the worst possible moments tells me that he isn't as hockey smart as most think.

At this point in his career it seems that the organization has placed all their eggs in his basket & whether he has the maturity to handle it & carry this team forward remains to be seen. Personally, I don't think there are enough pieces on this team right now to make a difference & it will take 3 to 5 yrs before this team can challenge for the cup. He should be our best player until then. Whether he is still relevant at that point of his career also remains to be seen but I think it will be the prospects we have now & moving forward over the next few drafts that will eventually make a difference for this franchise & not necessarily Spezza.

However, if Murray can pick up one very good scoring forward in this UFA market to play with Spezza & maybe trade for another could make a difference for Spezza. If one or two prospects take a giant step forward could also make a huge difference to this team & take some pressure off Spezza. I just don't think this franchise will ever win with Spezza unless those things happen & his best yrs could be behind him, not in front of him. Then their is the question of his health & bad back & whether they can hold up long enough to play 82 games or more importantly whether they can hold up long enough for him to win 16 playoff games. I hope he proves me wrong, he hasn't so far.

Keeping Spezza or trading Spezza would be a pivotal move for this franchise. I would love to see Murray trade Spezza to Columbus for Johanson & their 1st rd pick but I doubt that happens this yr or any other yr. Although, that would be a good trade for both teams, it would really set Ottawa into rebuild mode but they wouldn't be very good for a number of yrs. But, we would have a future 1st line center in Johanson, hopefully we could draft Couturier to be a 2nd line center, Puempel with the Columbus pick & Biggs with the Nashville pick & Ottawa would be set with four very good prospects moving forward plus whatever else they draft in this draft & the next few drafts plus the prospects we already have.

The future (not including better prospects this organization might draft):
Puempel - Johanson - Biggs
Greening - Couturier - Butler
Regin - Grant - Stone
Foligno - Z. Smith - Sdao
- strength down the middle & scorers on the wings.

Cowen - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Rundblad
Blood - Gryba
- size & grit on the backend.

Lehner - Anderson
- size & experience in net
Looks like ****. Sorry. Greening is a 3rd liner who can fill in on the upper lines. Couts isn't a playmaker, so him and Butsy would be stupid. That team would take 10 years to be competitive, while if we have Spezza it's already competitive, especially with some other pieces to surround him.

CoolGuyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 03:10 PM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
I know many hockey fans around the country who think Spezza is a floater & perimeter player who was hyped up mostly by Cherry & the Toronto media who drafted him to Missassauga & he never really delivered. In fact, he was traded twice in junior which is wierd for a franchise center. They say he gets lots of points in the regular season but doesn't do anything to win the big games when it counts the most. They refer to him as a regular season player & not a playoff performer although he has good stats in the playoffs how many of those are game winning goals or series winning goals?
Junior organization prefer to build around great prospects who they think they can have around for at least 1 or 2 years after the draft.

Reason Spezza was traded from the Ice Dogs was not his fault, he demanded it due to the Ice Dogs bathetic ways, ie losing team, a dumb bordering on racist rule about not drafting Euro imports etc etc. The Bulls knew Spezza was NHL bound and they were not gonna have him around for much longer anyway so they dealt him for a lot of assets.

I recall Spezza scoring a HUGE goal and adding 2 assists as an 18 year old call up against Jersey that allowed Jaques Martin's 1st place team to save face in game 5 and come back from a 3-1 deficit to lose in the last minute of game 7.

I recall Spezza winning a HUGE face-off right to Corvo that allowed the organization to excersize some demons after come back prone high scoring Sabres tied the game with few second left. Before Alfie scored that OT winning that sent the team to the Cup it was Spezza that tied the game in the 3rd with a huge 3rd period goal.

Spezza shows up in the playoffs. He has not carried the team yet, or has not been in a position to do that, but i believe he can. And he will most likely be the next captain in a year or 2 if not next year if Alfie gives it up to him like he was hinting.

Old
05-15-2011, 03:31 PM
Lexicon Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
I don't think Ottawa has been without a big #1 C ever. From drafting Yashin 2nd overall in 1992 to drafting Spezza 2nd overall in 2001.
There was that one year when Yashin held out and Bonk was our #1 center, plus 92-93 of course, when Neil Brady was our first line center - big upgrade when we acquired Kudelski.

Lexicon Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 03:42 PM
SP

You thought he was going to be a generational talent? Your unrealistic expectations don't make him a disappointment.

SP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 06:32 PM
BK201

spezza is awesome and the people who think that he's a disappointment and complain about him, remember your the reason people don't like our fan base and i hate you too.

Old
05-15-2011, 06:40 PM
SP

Quote:
spezza is awesome and the people who think that he's a disappointment and complain about him, remember your the reason people don't like our fan base and i hate you too.
I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

SP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 06:45 PM
Iamok
#Panic

I wasn't aware that we were supposed to care what other people think about us as fans. Oh well.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 07:03 PM
L'Aveuglette

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Deep thoughts right here.

Anyway, he's been a disappointment the last three seasons. Sure, if you look at his career as a whole, it's quite decent, but he'll have to pick it up next year(and the year after that) so as to regain respect in the league.

L'Aveuglette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 07:14 PM
h2owned

vCash: 200
Disappointed at times, but overall happy to have him.

h2owned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 07:20 PM
Lexicon Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Aveuglette View Post
Anyway, he's been a disappointment the last three seasons.
Hard to argue with that.

Spezza still hasn't lived up to his potential for an extended period of time, and if he never does than yes he should be considered a disappointment. People can argue that expectations were unrealistic in hindsight, but I don't think they were. The guy has the potential to be much better. Still lots of time, however - Alfie's best period was when he was 29-35.

Lexicon Devil is offline   Reply With Quote