HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

What prospect are you most excited for? (excludes DR/JC/This years 6th)

Old
05-16-2011, 06:26 AM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

vCash: 500
Stone, Sorensen, and Silfverberg.

All exciting players...funny to hear Murray say their names (suffering succotash!)

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 06:35 AM
Pellegrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topside View Post
I'm looking forward to Sorensen becoming a factor in the SEL. Just from hearing how excited Forsberg was to pick him, and now he's gonna be his coach. Should be a great year for Sorensen.
His new club has high hopes for him. He'll get plenty of chances.

Pellegrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 07:28 AM
Manny*

Wiercioch. He plays like Brent Burns without the nasty side to his game. We may begin to see that in him once he bulks up, though. Either way, he should be a very good two-way guy for us in a couple years.

Silfverberg comes pretty close. The kid can do it all, and do it well. He's a really fun player to watch.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 07:36 AM
pt_mck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
What puts Rundblad and Cowen on a different plane from Silfverberg?
I doubt Silfverberg ever gets higher than a 3rd line.

pt_mck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 08:19 AM
Legend Killer

vCash: 1263
Im very excited to see Silfverberg. Has good size, great shot, been playing against men and doing well... I think we will be pleasantly suprised (hopefully anyways)

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 08:28 AM
Cujomi
Leeuw YNWA Ddraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon Devil View Post
Maybe because Rundblad just finished 3rd in SEL scoring as a 20-year old defenceman, far ahead of the forward Silvferberg? Cowen is a 6'5" smooth-skating defenceman who went 9th overall (after a season-ending injury) and is right on track in his development. You want to make the case that Silfverberg is at his level, go ahead - I can't imagine anyone would keep Silfverberg over Cowen given a choice.
Cowen comes with more hype, but Silfverberg, imo, has shown more on the ice. He's not as flashy as say a Tedenby, but I think he's better. He's more responsible defensively by a long shot, plays a safer game, and still puts up the goals and points. He's been playing against men for three years now and is constantly improving. Rundblad is great, for sure, but Rundblad is a top 5 prospect in hockey period. Silfverberg is a 2nd rounder that could turn into a real gem. I think Silfverberg is underrated because he wasn't a 1st rounder. Switch Cowen and Silfverberg's draft positions and I bet the latter gets more hype -- especially for the way he played in the WC this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt_mck View Post
I doubt Silfverberg ever gets higher than a 3rd line.
Friendly wager?

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 08:34 AM
The Fuhr

Watching the WHC it just furthur solidified an Axelsson/Arvedson comparison... be a key role player potentially

The Fuhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 08:40 AM
Leave Spezza Alone
melnyk pls

vCash: 50
Sean Couturier.

Leave Spezza Alone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 08:41 AM
Coco the Monkey*
T-Bone!

Quote:
Cowen comes with more hype, but Silfverberg, imo, has shown more on the ice. He's not as flashy as say a Tedenby, but I think he's better. He's more responsible defensively by a long shot, plays a safer game, and still puts up the goals and points. He's been playing against men for three years now and is constantly improving. Rundblad is great, for sure, but Rundblad is a top 5 prospect in hockey period. Silfverberg is a 2nd rounder that could turn into a real gem. I think Silfverberg is underrated because he wasn't a 1st rounder. Switch Cowen and Silfverberg's draft positions and I bet the latter gets more hype -- especially for the way he played in the WC this year.

Friendly wager?
Uh, yeah that's the point. No doubt a #9 overall pick will get more hype than a 2nd rounder. A 9th overall pick deserves more hype than a second round pick. It's just common sense dude.

Silfverberg wasn't good enough to be a Top 10 pick like Cowen. He is not as good of a prospect right now.

edit: I really like Silfverberg too, not downplaying him at all. But it's obvious why Cowen would get more hype.

Last edited by Coco the Monkey*: 05-16-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Coco the Monkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 08:57 AM
Karl Cowensson
Two Headed Monster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
Uh, yeah that's the point. No doubt a #9 overall pick will get more hype than a 2nd rounder. A 9th overall pick deserves more hype than a second round pick. It's just common sense dude.

Silfverberg wasn't good enough to be a Top 10 pick like Cowen. He is not as good of a prospect right now.
I agree that Cowen is still the better prospect, but if we had that same draft today Silfverberg would be gone by the time our second round pick comes along. He's definitely the one prospect that has jumped the highest in terms of potential since being drafted IMO.

Karl Cowensson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 09:16 AM
OgieO

Petersson and Stone I guess. Only for the reason that I desperately want one of our skilled prospects to be a home run. Both these guys have skill but also serious question marks which makes them interesting to follow. Plus, neither was a premium pick so it's fun to cheer for the underdog.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 09:18 AM
pt_mck

Silfv and Rundblad are the same age. Rundblad had what 55 pts in the SEL, Silfverberg had 34?. Silfverberg had 1 point in 9 games at the world ch. No guarantee he can transition to the NHL game and he may need time in Bingo. He is still has significant room for development.

pt_mck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 09:35 AM
senswon

He is still has significant room for development

He's 20 years old...he's got time :-)

senswon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 09:48 AM
Afro Thunder*

Quote:
Silfv and Rundblad are the same age. Rundblad had what 55 pts in the SEL, Silfverberg had 34?. Silfverberg had 1 point in 9 games at the world ch. No guarantee he can transition to the NHL game and he may need time in Bingo. He is still has significant room for development.
You show me another 2nd round pick from 2009 and on that played in the worlds.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 09:58 AM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
You show me another 2nd round pick from 2009 and on that played in the worlds.
Lots of players play at the worlds because the talent is lacking.
Jani Lajunen - 7th rd pick in 08 played for Finland and had 3Pts in 4GP and was a main PKer for Finland,
Craig Smith - 4th rd pick from 2009 played on USAs top line (7GP 3G 6Pts) with Stepan and Wheeler

I am not sure this was a road you want to go down.

Old
05-16-2011, 10:04 AM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Cowen comes with more hype, but Silfverberg, imo, has shown more on the ice.
I don't see this. How has Silfverberg shown more on the ice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Cowensson View Post
I agree that Cowen is still the better prospect, but if we had that same draft today Silfverberg would be gone by the time our second round pick comes along.
I don't agree with that at all.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 10:22 AM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

Petterson
Silfverburg
Weircoch

JonnyMacSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 10:25 AM
BK201

I'm really excited for dacosta I feel like he is underlooked right now and will turn out to be pretty good.

I also want to see what comes of Sorensen it's just not that big because hecwont be coming over for a while.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 10:30 AM
Slippy

I'd echo the intrigue with Sorenson. Pushed for a spot on the World Junior team this year (last cut I think) after strong performance in regular season. Good chance that he is on the Junior team next year. Think he's still eligible?

Not our best prospect, but one to watch.

Slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 10:34 AM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

Silfverberg has lots of potential - I'm hopeful that he will come across the pond next year. He seems to have very good hockey sense, good strength and a very quick release on his shot.

I think Wiercioch can potentially develop into a 2nd pair d-man, or more likely 3rd pair. He has a good wingspan, has good lateral skating ability and makes a strong first pass.

I'm also curious to see how Da Costa improves his game over the summer. He seems to be really heady - good awareness on the ice with strong vision.

The Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 10:59 AM
Dosing

Quote:
It's all about what role your given in swedish hockey. And swedes are generally age-rasists. Unless the player they helped pick is playing for them ofcourse

Dosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 11:29 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Dziurzynski.

Alternatively, Bobby Butler, although after this season I guess he's no longer a prospect?

Otherwise Lehner.

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 11:38 AM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
Lots of players play at the worlds because the talent is lacking.
Jani Lajunen - 7th rd pick in 08 played for Finland and had 3Pts in 4GP and was a main PKer for Finland,
Craig Smith - 4th rd pick from 2009 played on USAs top line (7GP 3G 6Pts) with Stepan and Wheeler

I am not sure this was a road you want to go down.
Da Costa played 1st line center for France & wasn't even drafted.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 11:41 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon Devil View Post
@ what? The fact that Stone is a poor skater? The fact that i'm not drooling over Jakub Silvferberg of Andre Petersson? Again, I hope to be pleasantly surprised, but I see no reason to get excited about these guys. Every team has a few prospects of a similar level, and most will bust.

Rundblad and Cowen are on a different plane. Lehner is promising, but goalies are difficult to project. Wiercioch is an interesting project with high-upside but more likely to bust. I am interested to see how Da Costa adjusts to next year in Binghamton, but again, hardly 'excited'.
Stone isn't as bad a skater as it seems you are making him out to be. He just turned 19, is '6 3" 200 lbs and growing, and while he isn't graceful and does need to improve, he is far from being a slow and terrible skater.

Big kids seldom look like great skaters, while there are exceptions, it isn't the norm. Stone has size, good hands, hockey sense, physical, shows leadership and still has a year of junior eligibility. While he does need to improve, it is way too early to write him off solely on what you see today.

All anyone has to do is look at the changing landscape of the ISS reports to know that players move up and down pretty quickly. These are professional scouts changing their minds over a few months of watching players, and I am sure not many of them would have predicted Stone would have had a 106 point season.

While Stone may never play in the NHL, I wouldn't bet against him, way too early in the kid's development.

What do you mean by "bust"???

Weircoich has already played in the NHL and looked pretty good, and was playing very well until the recent injury with Binghamton.

Weircoich will be an NHL defenceman, how good is up to him, he has the talent.

Last edited by Holdurbreathe: 05-16-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 11:43 AM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Da Costa played 1st line center for France & wasn't even drafted.
Further proving draft position means nothing.